Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take him on a free transfer. Otherwise, why not Kovacic? Every window from here on, Chelsea will be giving away one of the best players of their Abramovitch team to make FFP work. Last window, it was Jorginho, this time it's apparently Kovacic. So why are we in for Mount for crying out loud?

I guess we're all expecting McTominay to be moved on and with our links to Rabiot would fans be content with midfield options of Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Fred and Rabiot ?
Got a fair amount of variety there.
Would still need a backup 6, we saw where the midfield stability went whenever Casemiro missed matches

Thread title update makes it look like it's officially announced (personal terms agreement). Please fix that, citing whichever journalist broke it.

I’ve seen him compared to Lingard, Bruno, Donny and Sancho now in this thread. We must be signing the most complete player of all time consider not a single one of those listed above are alike.

Will just go to show how spectacularly wrong and stupid some are going to look after putting some truly terrible takes into writing.

I'd take him on a free transfer. Otherwise, why not Kovacic? Every window from here on, Chelsea will be giving away one of the best players of their Abramovitch team to make FFP work. Last window, it was Jorginho, this time it's apparently Kovacic. So why are we in for Mount for crying out loud?

Presumably because the manager thinks Mount, a player who was Chelsea's POTY two of the last three seasons even while Kovacic was there, is a better fit for the plans he has for our team. It's hardly rocket science.

Kovacic is going to City isn't he?

45-50 would be fair. Anything more and we're getting caught with our pants down

Taking a thread off topic
He won't even be the best Mason in our squad next season.

If reports about the asking price are true, I'm getting doubtful this will even happen.

Chelsea want £85m and United are hoping to complete at £55m. That's a huge gap which I hope United don't close. Not because Mount is a bad player, but because I don't want United to go back to the old days of paying over the top for every single target. Arnold looks to me to be a bit more canny than Woodward and I don't want my bubble burst.

Chelsea can ask all they want but United have all the leverage with Mount’s camp briefing he prefers a move here and personal terms agreed. This is all to prevent a prolonged bidding war, which chelsea clearly would have wanted. I think a deal gets agreed between £40 and £50 million.

Kovacic is going to City isn't he?
Thats the report, yes. Hes a better fit for us though.

Presumably because the manager thinks Mount, a player who was Chelsea's POTY two of the last three seasons even while Kovacic was there, is a better fit for the plans he has for our team. It's hardly rocket science.
I guess we have different approaches. To me, the fact that something is happening isn't sufficient explanation for why its happening.

Correct me if im wrong but usually its clubs agreement first before personal agreement, right? he is desperate to join Ten Hag :lol:

Thats the report, yes. Hes a better fit for us though.

I guess we have different approaches. To me, the fact that something is happening isn't sufficient explanation for why its happening.

My point is that it's presumably happening for the same reasons Mount was deemed to have performed better than Kovacic in those seasons.

I.E. Mount a very good player in his own right and Kovacic isn't so outstanding a midfielder that it's particularly odd for Mount to be favoured ahead of him.

That would honestly make for quite the midfield depth all of a sudden.

If we don't get taken to the cleaners with Mount, that could possibly make for 3 solid midfield additions for under 100m. I'd take that.

Overrated and overpriced. Do not want.
Agreed. We'd be paying the full English premium here. He's worth maybe 40-50 if he wasn't at the end of his contract
My point is that it's presumably happening for the same reasons Mount was deemed to have performed better than Kovacic in those seasons.

I.E. Mount a very good player in his own right and Kovacic isn't so oustanding a midfielder that it's particularly odd for Mount to be favoured.
That's a good point. I suppose my opposition is due to a) his recent deterioration, but more so b) that in my opinion his skill set is too similar to what we already have. I suppose we might want to start playing a more possession-based midfield ala City, in which case we could play a team with multiple attacking midfielders. But otherwise, more players like Kovacic would make more sense to me.

Mount
Mount
What's that about?
Another Chelsea reject I could do without
Come on
Is this the best we can do?
Come on

Mount & Rabiot would be very underwhelming midfield signings.

We barely lose a game when the trio of Casemiro, Eriksen & Bruno all start, so we are working from a position of strength. Its been a while since that was the case.

Mount and Rabiot would be IMO more than decent options to put into rotation with those three.

Nah usually personal terms first, not much point agreeing a price with a team if you can't convince the player first.
That makes sense. I guess I've read so many "deal agreed, subject to personal terms..." that it seemed that way for me.

The only thing that makes me feel better about this transfer is the fact he’s a player that can actually replace Bruno in the No.10 adequately allowing us to play Bruno deeper. Bruno was excellent playing deeper near the end of the season dictating the game while also using his high energy to press and close down with Casemiro. Having Mount able to play further ahead will give us more options in that sense.

Mount & Rabiot would be very underwhelming midfield signings.
To be fair, if they are brought in to replace 2 out of Fred, Mctominay, Sabitzer, VDB…then it’s an upgrade to the squad. I would still prefer a De Jong level signing for midfield though.

What's fairly obvious in this thread is that many people have clearly never actually watched Mount play. How people are comparing his style to DVB is just beyond me.

Again, not the sexiest signing but a very good footballer and will surprise a few, even if he's never a player with hype around him.

Very underrated player. Most people did not realise that Mount's goal output this year was reduced drastically as a result of trying to shoehorn Sterling into the LW spot. Sterling has a tendency to start wide but drift inwards, clashing with Mount natural tendencies of bombing into the box from his LCM position. Another cascading effect of Sterling was that Mount was increasingly tasked with the doing more defensive work, covering his more attacking teammates, focusing more on the linkup plays etc. It shows his character, that he's a player willing to do the dirty jobs and whatever it takes for the team, and we do need more of these kind of players. If we do get him, he would be a real Gem of a player.

I think:
Mount Bruno
Casemiro
Is a really good counter pressing midfield. Goals and assists from all 3. Guaranteed work rate. All mobile and good all rounders. It’s unspectacular but it could be a genius piece of scouting/recruitment. He’s been one of the best 8s in the country up until this season. Hugely touted at youth level as the future of Chelsea. If he can get back to his best or even hopefully improve i think he could prove to be a lovely smart signing at a really good age for the position. Entering his prime

Always been a huge fan of Mount, never said a bad word about him I swear. If you've read or heard anything different, it was probably my evil twin.

Status
Not open for further replies.