Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's literally Chelsea's best player. :lol:

*was

The only small doubt I have is Mata was also one of the best in the league and we all know how that went. I think ETH will have a much better plan for how to use Mount. Mount is more mobile and versatile though. I really think we’ve finally solved our midfield if the first choice lads can stay fit. I’d rather keep Fred for games we need to press high than Eriksen or McT but I’m in the minority on here. Eriksen probably rotates better with Mount in general against the defensive teams and would fetch less if we were to sell him. I’d drive McT to Brighton myself as i think it would be a great move for him. I don’t think he has enough class on the ball or a good enough reading of the game for a top club but I think he’ll be potential captain material as a high energy box to box at a smaller club. Bruno and Mount are just way more refined and can beat the press and set pressing traps. That’s way more in line with what we need to take us to the next level

No need hypothetical, Bellingham went for £115m as 20 y.o.
His stat was 14G/7A in 47 apss, while Szobosz was 10G/13A in 46 apps.
Do you think Jude will break that £100m barrier if he wasn't English.
Even Kvaratskhelia (14G/17A in 42) doesn't command that kind of fee.
Both Szobosz and Kvaratskhelia are their respective country's best player.
The less said about Mount's last season, the better.
Claiming he's £70m player is delusional, let alone £100m

It's alright to accept that United has had to pay through the nose more often than not, you guys can afford it
Most likely the only club who can do it over and over again outside the oil-state clubs.
Be merry as the most successful club commercially in the world.

Mount's 2021-22 season stats shits all over szoboszlai's stats,. No one said he was 100-120 or 150 million player.

If 10 goals, 13 assists makes him 100 million player then Sancho was probably 200 million player.

In Bundesliga he has 14 goals + assists, there are 23 players who has more than that.

Also how is Bellingham being English matters for Madrid who are Spanish club?

One of the most clueless post I read on this caf and that takes some effort.

The only small doubt I have is Mata was also one of the best in the league and we all know how that went. I think ETH will have a much better plan for how to use Mount. Mount is more mobile and versatile though. I really think we’ve finally solved our midfield if the first choice lads can stay fit. I’d rather keep Fred for games we need to press high than Eriksen or McT but I’m in the minority on here. Eriksen probably rotates better with Mount in general against the defensive teams and would fetch less if we were to sell him. I’d drive McT to Brighton myself as i think it would be a great move for him. I don’t think he has enough class on the ball or a good enough reading of the game for a top club but I think he’ll be potential captain material as a high energy box to box at a smaller club. Bruno and Mount are just way more refined and can beat the press and set pressing traps. That’s way more in line with what we need to take us to the next level

There is no doubt in my mind that Erik has an actual plan for Mount unlike Moyes ever had one for Mata at all.

Wouldn't say we have solved midfield issue as still need cover for Casemiro and that deep lying player good in the build up phase

I am honestly surprised that so many people think Mount is better than Szoboszlai and/or Nkunku.

Time will tell, I guess, let us hope I am wrong.

Whether those players prove to be better than Mount or not, Mount is someone who at 24 years old has already played nearly 12,000 PL/CL minutes (as The Athletic phrased it). And has already won the CL, assisting the winning goal in the final having scored goals in the quarter and semi-final stages. I don't think being "PL proven" is a thing, but there is a certain amount of reassurance in the player you buy having already performed to a PL top four, CL-winning standard.

True - but wasn't Mata somewhere between quite good and excellent for you until Mourinho was appointed?

True - but wasn't Mata somewhere between quite good and excellent for you until Mourinho was appointed?

Mata was okay individually but he was never a good tactical or squad fit. United had no need for his profile.

One thing I am a bit positive about with Mount is getting another energetic and mobile player into the starting line-up. He can press and cover the length of the pitch well. Eriksen has his strengths but he looks slow and sometimes lacking in intensity, and even Casemiro looked a bit leggy towards the end of the season.

It's alright to accept that United has had to pay through the nose more often than not, you guys can afford it
Most likely the only club who can do it over and over again outside the oil-state clubs.

You're trying far too hard here.

No chance Napoli would sell Kvara for less than 100m.

Mount's 2021-22 season stats shits all over szoboszlai's stats,. No one said he was 100-120 or 150 million player.

If 10 goals, 13 assists makes him 100 million player then Sancho was probably 200 million player.

In Bundesliga he has 14 goals + assists, there are 23 players who has more than that.

Also how is Bellingham being English matters for Madrid who are Spanish club?

One of the most clueless post I read on this caf and that takes some effort.
Mount's 21/22 was 13G/16A in 53, which is to be fair, better than Szobosz 2022/2023.
He would have rightly fetched a lot more back then; that's it just how transfer work.

No need to water the stats down by only including Bundesliga goal contributions.
When you play, you have chance to score/assist.
And how many better stats than Szobosz are striker/forward?
Stats need context and big enough data points to be meaningful.

Are you saying Jude would have cost any EPL team that can afford him less than what Madrid pay? No chance.
Only Madrid is apparently willing to bankroll is 400+kpw salary.

Last edited:
Mata was okay individually but he was never a good tactical or squad fit. United had no need for his profile.

It kind of felt like we were going to start playing with a 10 once Fergie started messing around with Kagawa and when Moyes signed Juan. I was so excited for Matas signing but it just tallied off into nothing. He was so effective for Chelsea. It was painful seeing him on the right and playing as an 8 for us.

Mount's 21/22 was 13G/16A in 53, which is to be fair, better than Szobosz 2022/2023.
He would have rightly fetched a lot more back then; that's it just how transfer work.

Are you saying Jude would have cost any EPL team that can afford him less than what Madrid pay? No chance.
Only Madrid is apparently willing to bankroll is 400+kpw salary.

Why is Bellingham being English matters for Madrid? If it was English club that paid the money, what you said make sense. Why will it matter for Madrid, a Spanish club.

Ofcourse Mount would have fetched more, no one was saying he was 100 million player. Like I said, build up a hypothetical scenario and then celebrate concluding you got a bargain.

Yeah don’t think you can say that about Mount

100% - and that's where the comparison falls flat to me a bit. Mata was a ceiling raising player in my opinion - in the right setup, he could be almost a one-man attack at times that elevated the performances of those around him. Mount is the opposite - he's a floor raiser, someone who will do whatever is asked of him but who should probably not ever be the best attacking player in a team with serious aspirations.

Maybe. But God I loved him. Wish both he and Blind had worked out. Such lovely football players.

Yeah both also sort of awkward fits era-wise. Prime Blind would be brilliant right now as an inverted fullback who could step into deep midfield, and if Mata had been around during the golden age of playmakers he'd have fit right in.

Yeah both also sort of awkward fits era-wise. Prime Blind would be brilliant right now as an inverted fullback who could step into deep midfield, and if Mata had been around during the golden age of playmakers he'd have fit right in.

Agree with that. Blind would suit that style of play like a glove, someone relying on his technique and passing which were his best traits by a mile. And yeah, Mata just missed the boat because he was a marvellous playmaker.

Why is Bellingham being English matters for Madrid? If it was English club that paid the money, what you said make sense. Why will it matter for Madrid, a Spanish club.

Ofcourse Mount would have fetched more, no one was saying he was 100 million player. Like I said, build up a hypothetical scenario and then celebrate concluding you got a bargain.
If Mount replicated his form in 21/22 form, he would have commanded close to 100m (even with only 1 years left in his contract)
If the contract is longer, he might have passed the mark.
That makes him 100m player in the market, our opinion doesn't matter.
At his peak at Dortmund, Sancho was valued at €130m and that £73m transfer was considered great coup then.
Alas Mason has not replicated his form and his stocks fell.

My understanding is that transfer doesn't happen in isolation.
Many factors plays a part in driving the price, including competing parties and nationality.
EPL clubs willingness to bid for Jude automatically drives the price up.
Whether it English HG quota matter or not to Madrid, it still impacted their chequebooks.

If Mount replicated his form in 21/22 form, he would have commanded close to 100m (even with only 1 years left in his contract)
If the contract is longer, he might have passed the mark.
That makes him 100m player in the market, our opinion doesn't matter.
At his peak at Dortmund, Sancho was valued at €130m and that £73m transfer was considered great coup then.
Alas Mason has not replicated his form and his stocks fell.

My understanding is that transfer doesn't happen in isolation.
Many factors plays a part in driving the price, including competing parties and nationality.
EPL clubs willingness to bid for Jude automatically drives the price up.
Whether it English HG quota matter or not to Madrid, it still impacted their chequebooks.

There are more than 30 players who had more goals + assists than Szoboszlai, you think all are worth 100 million?

Mason Mount would have commanded 100 million even with 1 year left on contract? Did you work for Woodward by any change?

Bellingham was worth over 100 million not because he was English player, it's because he is great talent and all the top clubs wanted to sign him. There was a huge market for him, that drives the price.

You guys are so weird, who cares if he cost 50m or 70m - if he's good, he's good, if he flops he flops.

You guys are so weird, who cares if he cost 50m or 70m - if he's good, he's good, if he flops he flops.
That's what I have said earlier.
United has this privilege as the most commercially successful club.
The price paid rarely have an actual repercussions.

There are more than 30 players who had more goals + assists than Szoboszlai, you think all are worth 100 million?

Mason Mount would have commanded 100 million even with 1 year left on contract? Did you work for Woodward by any change?

Bellingham was worth over 100 million not because he was English player, it's because he is great talent and all the top clubs wanted to sign him. There was a huge market for him, that drives the price.
To be fair there was a top market for Mount, he just wanted to come here.
Plus Bellingham was going nowhere other than Madrid, can’t see how another club poking their head in would change anything. It’s not as if he were going to the highest bidder

Rubbish. What has Carrick ever won at Spurs or West Ham? Nothing. We should be looking at Marcos Senna from Villarreal. He's class and would cost a fraction of the price.
Won something? He was relegated at West Ham.

More overpriced English dross and not even the profile of midfielder we need, as a Scholes/Carrick midfield is completely unbalanced. You need players who can actually make tackles the Premier League. Carrick also has no pace, isn't a leader and isn't box to box. And people think this is the guy we need to replace Keane? Embarassing. That midfield will get run over.

I'd take him for 5m as he's better than Smith and maybe Fletcher, even though I'm not sure he's a better actual DM than O'Shea is at his best. But I'll be devestated if he's our only CM signing, we need someone like Diarra as well.

Meanwhile Jol and Levy get to sell an overhyped player and bring in a talent like Zokora instead, who looked great in the World Cup. If we pay anything like 15m for Carrick they'll be laughing their way to the bank. If this is the kind of business we can expect this summer then Fergie will be sacked by the end of next season.
I'm enjoying this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we should have been looking at Jermaine Pennant personally think Liverpool have gotten themselves a steal there, I'll eat my hat if Carrick goes on to have half the career Jermaine Pennant does!

I'm enjoying this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we should have been looking at Jermaine Pennant personally think Liverpool have gotten themselves a steal there, I'll eat my hat if Carrick goes on to have half the career Jermaine Pennant does!
"Florent Sinama Pongolle and Anthony Le Tallec are both infinitely better than Ronaldo"

My old boss actually said that when they both signed for Liverpool.

Won something? He was relegated at West Ham.

More overpriced English dross and not even the profile of midfielder we need, as a Scholes/Carrick midfield is completely unbalanced. You need players who can actually make tackles the Premier League. Carrick also has no pace, isn't a leader and isn't box to box. And people think this is the guy we need to replace Keane? Embarassing. That midfield will get run over.

I'd take him for 5m as he's better than Smith and maybe Fletcher, even though I'm not sure he's a better actual DM than O'Shea is at his best. But I'll be devestated if he's our only CM signing, we need someone like Diarra as well.

Meanwhile Jol and Levy get to sell an overhyped player and bring in a talent like Zokora instead, who looked great in the World Cup. If we pay anything like 15m for Carrick they'll be laughing their way to the bank. If this is the kind of business we can expect this summer then Fergie will be sacked by the end of next season.

:lol:

*Barry Davies Voice* "and you have to say that is magnificent"

We certainly won’t complain if he’s successful*

*apart from the usual numpties
It is always funny when you get a poster who starts a crusade against certain players then piles into them on the matchday thread at every opportunity, in many ways I hate those posters but in others they are crucial to the caf.

Mount is better than Eriksen, so we've upgraded our first XI there. Any forward who can play more than 20 games is an upgrade on Martial.

Jota went over 30 games and a year without a goal, hardly the most productive forward out there.

I don't think Mount is better than Eriksen personally. More hard working yes. But for me Eriksen is one of the best passing midfielders over the last 10 years. I've never seen Mount pass as well as Eriksen does regularly.

Not a signing that excites the inner muppet and maybe that's a good thing (looking at you Sancho, Pogba, Sanchez)

Bet you enjoyed having the last laugh
Sadly I left shortly after, but I still remember it fondly. He was a proper cnut to work for, on the take with backhanders etc, fecked me around with my day release at uni, and tried to make out that I'd not handed my notice in when I did as he'd asked me to "think about it" so ended up trying to delay me starting with a new company, even though all he had me doing was menial shite. So I enjoyed Liverpool's shitness greatly back then. Recently found out that the year that Liverpool got pipped by City that his construction business went bankrupt and then he died. So he never even got to see them win it, which I also really enjoyed.

I don't think Mount is better than Eriksen personally. More hard working yes. But for me Eriksen is one of the best passing midfielders over the last 10 years. I've never seen Mount pass as well as Eriksen does regularly.

I think he is better. He’s a much better ball carrier than Eriksen, with more athleticism and goal scoring ability. I’ve seen arguments that Eriksen is the better passer. Perhaps…but it’s not like Mason is a bad passer. He plays a great ball, and was usually over the set pieces when I would watch him play. He’s going to give us the ability to counter press, and he gives us a work ethic in the middle of the park that Eriksen simply cannot replicate. I think Mase will create for others off the dribble, as well as release our wings with accurate long balls on counterattacks. Clear upgrade to the starting XI imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.