Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A reasonable fee compared to paying 47m for Fred, and that was 5 years ago before prices took off.
Yes, he is an English homebaked player. We paid 55 instead of 70 which they started with.

A reasonable fee compared to paying 47m for Fred, and that was 5 years ago before prices took off.

We just used Fred all wrong. He was one of the best pressing box to box midfielders outside of the major clubs in Europe. We saw which way the game was going but then only Fred pressed alone or we used him as DM. Headless chicken yes but all heart and a serious engine and appetite to compete. I stand by my view that he would have looked amazing in Liverpool or city’s midfield.

Not really, from what I have seen it's always at least two out of of these 3 - Rodri, Gundogan, Stones with KDB in front

They played KDB/ David Silva/Fernandinho as their first choice midfield 3 for the first title under Guardiola.

We just used Fred all wrong. He was one of the best pressing box to box midfielders outside of the major clubs in Europe. We saw which way the game was going but then only Fred pressed alone or we used him as DM. Headless chicken yes but all heart and a serious engine and appetite to compete. I stand by my view that he would have looked amazing in Liverpool or city’s midfield.
He is a very good player. We just had some duds as manager who couldn't use him. Ralf was the first guy to use him as a attacking midfielder and he immediately displayed his quality.

He played a lot of his first season at Chelsea as an attacking 8, it was Tuchel who really moved him into an wide attacker and 10, but he also used him as an 8 a bit too.
Mount is a very versatile player and can play the Eriksen role and add dynamism and is much better defensively than Eriksen.

I would also imagine with the new keeper; we would be playing a lot higher up the pitch so our midfield won't be as deep as last season anyway.
I'll be delighted if you play him in the Eriksen role. He's very good defensively as a pressing attacker but positionally in a double 6? Forget it!

Him there is only a viable option in kitchen sink scenarios.

I'm just hoping ETH sees something here that makes him think the team will greatly enhance its tactical performance. The deal seems excessive both in terms of price and wages. Maybe he's the player people were hoping Donny would be.

We definitely do need a backup for Casemiro though. A suspension, injury or general fatigue and we're in the same boat as before.

They played KDB/ David Silva/Fernandinho as their first choice midfield 3 for the first title under Guardiola.

And that midfield was better name by name, and yet they only won CL and created best team when they changed their midfield setup and started playing more defensive players there.

And that midfield was better name by name, and yet they only won CL and created best team when they changed their midfield setup and started playing more defensive players there.

Circumstances were different. It all came together for them this season, the CL was the weakest it’s been in years so the midfield pairings weren’t the main reason they’ve been so successful this year. They’d have probably won the CL this year with that combo as well.

I'm just hoping ETH sees something here that makes him think the team will greatly enhance its tactical performance. The deal seems excessive both in terms of price and wages. Maybe he's the player people were hoping Donny would be.

We definitely do need a backup for Casemiro though. A suspension, injury or general fatigue and we're in the same boat as before.
Agree. I thought we should have gone in for that Lavia. He’s only young and can learn loads of Casemiro and then be ready to take his spot full time once he leaves.

I think this is why PSG never really looked like winning it. The balance was all wrong. Class team on paper but not enough graft guile and steel in there to carry the names up top when the going got tough. Plenty of flair and flash. The best Utd teams used to work their arses off and win battles all over the pitch. That’s why we went off the rails. Too much flash. Too many nice guys.

I know it's highlights for a reason, but there are more moments of him being in a deeper 8 in this video which is where we can expect him for us.

It's good to see an agile, well balanced and technical player in that area of the pitch. On paper he should be able to work well with Bruno/Cas.

I’ve said it a few times in this thread but Mount’s technical quality will surprise a lot of your fans.

I’ve said it a few times in this thread but Mount’s technical quality will surprise a lot of your fans.
I’m actually a bit excited about this transfer now and I think he’ll surprise everyone this season. After watching Fred and Mctominay for years. It will be a breath of fresh air to have a technical midfielder.

Ye they could but rarely did.
Our set pieces have been shit for years, can't see Mount changing much in that regard.

Even Alex Telles was one of the finest crossers in Europe, went to shit as soon as he joined.

Our set pieces have been shit for years, can't see Mount changing much in that regard.

Even Alex Telles was one of the finest crossers in Europe, went to shit as soon as he joined.
True. I guess that set piece coach that got brought in is useless. We’re also bad at defending them. I panic every time we concede a corner.

With Mount being signed, I’m wondering what kind of football do we play next season? I hope it’s not like last season, we desperately need to control games from the midfield.

I wouldnt have paid 55M for Rashford a year ago. Sure Mount may have his break up season this year but you dont pay that much for a player who's on the low.

I mean, listen, I didn't want us to pay more than £40m for him. But that's more to do with being in the final year of his contract, and us being strapped for cash with more important positions to reinforce.

You just can't judge a player based on one terrible year in a singularly terrible year for his team. Especially statistically, like your post that I responded to. That's what Rashford is an excellent example of. I'm not saying anyone would or should have offered us £60m for Rashford (although if they had, they'd be laughing after 41G/A in 56 games.) The point is that it wouldn't have been sensible to price him based on a freakishly poor season amidst a terrible club season.

Mount played half as many minutes as previous seasons, in a team that got their worst finish since 93/94. His stats from the season tell us nothing useful about his quality.

With Mount being signed, I’m wondering what kind of football do we play next season? I hope it’s not like last season, we desperately need to control games from the midfield.
He‘s a midfielder with more legs than Eriksen, he will be playing instead of him often. More energy means less gaps which will give us more control.

Probably, also he will be used the same way Fred, Van de Beek and Sabitzer were used: as a high pressing attacking midfielder.

He can also play from the wings.

So basically: who knows.

What does that even mean? Why do people care about resale value? Shall we cash in on him in two seasons or something?

There's two reasons we'd ever consider selling Mount.
1. Madrid or someone make a world record offer because he's been the best player in the world for a period of more than 2 seasons, in which case we don't want to sell.
2. He's so fecking shit that he ends up warming the bench for a full season, in which case we can't sell.

When a player is paid £250k+ a week his resale value is negative. You think someone like West Ham will take those wages on if he's shite?
There are possibly five other reasons why we'd consider selling Mount, the most obvious being that we want to upgrade on him, and if such a player is available.

Clubs that are run well look to buy on the cheap and sell big, after due consideration of the pluses and minuses of selling/buying. The whole notion that you alluded to - "why should we call consider selling our players" - invites mediocrity. Even a legendary player like David De Gea should have been sold four seasons back. What is Mount in comparison?

I don't mean to say that all aging players should be sold, but "selling" should be under consideration depending on the circumstances. Just because a player signs for us, the club shouldn't be his retirement home. Some may retire here, but most of them shouldn't. 3-4 years from now, 250k may not be too ridiculous for most PL teams to afford.

That's why resale value (indirect surrogate of age) is one of the two biggest determinants of player valuations.

I'll be delighted if you play him in the Eriksen role. He's very good defensively as a pressing attacker but positionally in a double 6? Forget it!

Him there is only a viable option in kitchen sink scenarios.
Eriksen never played as a 6…

I've become much more okay with this signing the more it's been drawn out.

In today's utterly absurd prices, it's alright. I think he'll fit well, I think there are sales we'll need to make, but we've been needing to make sales for erm... A while...

The wages are awful, but that was his offer before Chelsea went batheck and punted every player we know of, they're doing their thing at the moment.

I like it as a signing at face value. Personally I want Hjølund and Verbruggen, but I certainly wish him well for his United career!

Reactions: golden_blunder
It's starting to look like a bit of a trend with Arsenal buying Havertz and looking to deploy him in midfield and the same happening with us and Mount. I remember people questioning City when they deployed a midfield with a defensive one in Fernandinho and 2 offensive players in David Silva and KdB. I know those are different with their quality in possession but we could be seeing a tactical shift next season with midfield balance being compensated with full backs and centre backs allowing for more freedom centrally.
TBF, Mount is much more of a midfielder than Havertz.

If newcastle/aston villa would sign mount for 40m , the posters here would have a field day (and rightly so). Such an average player, yet somehow 55m plus 250k per week is amazing business as if he is a prime robben.
Well you just signed someone who was relegation material as your major signing so..

Not really, from what I have seen it's always at least two out of of these 3 - Rodri, Gundogan, Stones with KDB in front
It's not always the same because Pep changes it all the time but they usually play with one anchor (Rodri, Fernandinho etc.) and two attacking midfielders who push very high (KDB, Gundogan, B.Silva, Foden etc.). Then one or sometime even two of the defenders would move into the midfield to help the anchor.

You may argue that Gundogan is more of a central midfielder. That's true but that guy is great offensively and he is often deployed as an attacking midfielder who regularly makes runs into the box that why he scores a lot.

True. I guess that set piece coach that got brought in is useless. We’re also bad at defending them. I panic every time we concede a corner.
We're better at set piece defending since he's been brought in.

His passing definitely looks a hell of a lot better than i thought it would be watching that, maybe he can effectively be Eriksen but with more energy.

I know it's highlights for a reason, but there are more moments of him being in a deeper 8 in this video which is where we can expect him for us.

It's good to see an agile, well balanced and technical player in that area of the pitch. On paper he should be able to work well with Bruno/Cas.

His touch + turn + ball carrying is fantastic. :eek: :drool::drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.