Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't reckon he'll take Eriksen's place?

Maybe in certain games but both players have very different qualities. Eriksen likes to sit deeper and ping 30 yard balls whereas Mount would be higher up the pitch and press from the front. That's why I don't understand the signing. Playing Bruno and Mount is going to leave us exposed defensively.

Had to be honest, I have mixed feelings about this transfer. Mount isn't exactly the type of midfielder I was hoping to be signed this summer and I never rated him too much.

But again, ETH get his chance to watch him closely during his loan spell at Vitesse and now in England and he showed until now that we can believe in his judgments.

The whole ‘valued’ thing is pretty meaningless really. Footballers simply don’t have objective value, they’re more like works of art rather than pieces of real estate. A player is worth whatever anyone will pay for him, and not a single club on the planet would have paid £80m for Mount. And to be honest, there’s probably only us what would have paid what we paid.
Whilst yes that is fundamentally true, the value of anything is defined by how much some one is willing to pay for it.

It's evident when comparing a player like Mount to other similar players in similar circumstances that he is worth circa £80m, Sterling is a prime example, a player who at the time of his move was slightly older than Mount, but was in the last year of his contract and went near £50m, and would have gone for more than that had he not been in the last year of contract.

Maybe in certain games but both players have very different qualities. Eriksen likes to sit deeper and ping 30 yard balls whereas Mount would be higher up the pitch and press from the front. That's why I don't understand the signing. Playing Bruno and Mount is going to leave us exposed defensively.

Whether you think it leaves us exposed defensively or not, it's clearly the plan. So the idea that it's a waste of money because he won't dtart doesn't hold.

When he could’ve been signed on a free next season, 55/60 million on a player coming out of a bad season is no such thing. It’s a warped perception engineered by Chelsea’s ridiculous initial asking price.

So lets just kick the can down the road for another season because we don't really need to upgrade now and then we can act shocked when we don't end up getting him when he is on a free and all the usual bargain hunters (Barca) start throwing offers at him. We wanted him now, he is under contract now so you pay the price if you think he is what you need and clearly that is the case here.

The warped perception honestly is more that we as fans are obsessed with the need to upgrade at GK and sign any vaguely comptetent striker and so we are fixated on those deals. If we had signed Onana and Ramos first and Mount was the third signing of the summer we would all be delighted but there is a very understandable fear with the way this club operates that maybe we won't address those critical needs and in that context this deal is a lot less appealing.

I know! Even if he had 4 years on his contract it's a lot of money. I'd put him in the Oxlade-Chamberlain category of quality rather than this expectation he's going to be the next De Bruyne. I don't even think he starts for us which is why I think it's a total waste of money. We need a CF and there are no links to players of quality or availability. Why waste £60m when we have such a glaring hole in the first 11.

Madness

He was a massive part of them winning the CL and won player of the year back to back during that time

Easily one of their best players and one of the first players on the England team sheet in Qatar

He will do well here and is miles better than you are making out

So lets just kick the can down the road for another season because we don't really need to upgrade now and then we can act shocked when we don't end up getting him when he is on a free and all the usual bargain hunters (Barca) start throwing offers at him. We wanted him now, he is under contract now so you pay the price if you think he is what you need and clearly that is the case here.

The warped perception honestly is more that we as fans are obsessed with the need to upgrade at GK and sign any vaguely comptetent striker and so we are fixated on those deals. If we had signed Onana and Ramos first and Mount was the third signing of the summer we would all be delighted but there is a very understandable fear with the way this club operates that maybe we won't address those critical needs and in that context this deal is a lot less appealing.
This is a point I think is too often overlooked when people place such heavy emphasis on a player being in the last year of his contract. In Mount's case, I'd say it's highly likely that we would not be the only suitors for his signature in a year's time were his contract to run out, and this significantly weakens the "Well we'll just get him for free in a year" bargaining position.

Whether you think it leaves us exposed defensively or not, it's clearly the plan. So the idea that it's a waste of money because he won't dtart doesn't hold.

It's a forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I disagree with the club on this one. Made far more sense to leave for a season and get him on a 'free'. Suspect his signing on bonus would be £20-30m but still half what we paid. This summer was all about buying a new striker and goalkeeper. Somehow we have blown a decent chunk of money on a position which isn't high priority.

True. Seeing us not sign a striker last summer after spending £90 million on Antony, and not signing a defensive midfielder after £75 million on Sancho the summer before that, reinforces that fear.

I don’t think Barca could afford the wages we’re offering Mount, the other clubs wouldn’t mess up their wage structure for him either, I’m confident we’d have a free run at him next summer too because of his demands.

True. Seeing us not sign a striker last summer after spending £90 million on Antony, and not signing a defensive midfielder after £75 million on Sancho the summer before that, reinforces that fear.

I don’t think Barca could afford the wages we’re offering Mount, the other clubs wouldn’t mess up their wage structure for him either, I’m confident we’d have a free run at him next summer too because of his demands.
Liverpool and Arsenal wanted him. They only went away because Mount told them we were his preferred club. Nothing to do with wages

It's a forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I disagree with the club on this one. Made far more sense to leave for a season and get him on a 'free'. Suspect his signing on bonus would be £20-30m but still half what we paid. This summer was all about buying a new striker and goalkeeper. Somehow we have blown a decent chunk of money on a position which isn't high priority.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, just that he will factually be a starter so saying it's a poor transfer because he won't be doesn't make sense. Whether that set up is actually a good idea or whether he's a good signing generally, you can absolutely argue.

When he could’ve been signed on a free next season, 55/60 million on a player coming out of a bad season is no such thing. It’s a warped perception engineered by Chelsea’s ridiculous initial asking price.

1) You don’t know with certainty that we could’ve signed him for free next year. There are plenty of variables that could make what seems possible now not come to fruition.

2) We have to sign players to bolster our squad and win THIS year. You obviously don’t think he does that. ETH does. We shall see who is right in the end. But signing his top midfield target next year wouldn’t help him compete this year. If it was a situation like Kane where the selling club priced him at 100m+, or even straight up refused to sell to us, it would make sense to take your stance. Getting him for 55m is a reasonable fee though imo.

A midfielder has always been a priority. Eriksen was nothing more than a stop-gap and Fred isn't rated by Ten Hag.

Liverpool and Arsenal wanted him. They only went away because Mount told them we were his preferred club. Nothing to do with wages
This is about leaving it to signing him for free next summer, If we’re his preferred club then that’s in line with the point I’m making.

EtH has a plan!

This is about leaving it to signing him for free next summer, If we’re his preferred club then that’s in line with the point I’m making.
Perhaps we wouldn't have remained his preferred club if we hadn't considered him important enough to try to sign now. Also a lot could change in a year, including us failing to qualify for the CL

Perhaps we wouldn't have remained his preferred club if we hadn't considered him important enough to try to sign now. Also a lot could change in a year, including us failing to qualify for the CL
Plenty more fish in the sea in that case, but I don’t think Mount would turn down the 250-300k contract we’re offering.

We’re his preferred club this season though. Anything can happen in 12 months, we could fall apart and not get CL and all that nightmare fuel.
It’s slightly different because he signed a pre contract agreement but there’s no chance Nkunku goes to Chelsea this summer if that wasn’t signed. Liverpool were favourites for Bellingham until their season fell apart and actually froze all midfield signings thinking he was theirs this summer

A start Weghorst for 20 games in a row before realising he’s shite type of plan! One of Mount or Bruno is going to end up on the wing against decent teams it’s almost guaranteed.
Not necessarily a bad thing if it’s part of a tactic. We regularly saw Rooney shifted to LW during CL games for example

And if Mason Mount had wheels he’d be a wheelbarrow. We’re not talking about what might have been the case in 21/22, we’re talking about objective reality in 2023. And in the objective reality of 2023, not a single club in the world would pay £80m for Mount. £55m+5 is what we’re paying for him, so I guess that is what he’s worth.
Not to split hairs but generally wheelbarrows have only one wheel, and if Mason Mount had wheels he would just be a Mason Mount with wheels, he is not a transformer, wheels probably not allowed by the FA so glad he doesn't. I do like the concept that anything with wheels is a wheelbarrow though, bit like pizza is cheese on toast.

Otherwise that was kind of my point in regards the discussion that was going on, worth is relative to a moment in time and either the value the owner or the purchaser gives something, Mount would have been an £80m or more valued player to say he isn't now has more to do with his contract than his capacity as a footballer

Not necessarily a bad thing if it’s part of a tactic. We regularly saw Rooney shifted to LW during CL games for example
I see Bruno on the wing as a bad thing in honesty, doesn’t suit his strengths and weaknesses at all. If Mount ends up on the right wing as a solution to our struggles in tough games then it feels like irresponsible spending to me. We have Antony, Amad, Pellestri and Sancho better suited to that role already, the collective 4 taking up a huge sum of money spent across the last 3 seasons.

I see Bruno on the wing as a bad thing in honesty, doesn’t suit his strengths and weaknesses at all. If Mount ends up on the right wing as a solution to our struggles in tough games then it feels like irresponsible spending to me. We have Antony, Amad, Pellestri and Sancho better suited to that role already, the collective 4 taking up a huge sum of money spent across the last 3 seasons.
But none of those mentioned can help solidify the middle of the park when ETH wants things narrower.
Mount is a good player. ETH has a plan. Just because it doesn’t match what your idea may be doesn’t mean it’s going to be a bad plan

Not to split hairs but generally wheelbarrows have only one wheel, and if Mason Mount had wheels he would just be a Mason Mount with wheels, he is not a transformer, wheels probably not allowed by the FA so glad he doesn't. I do like the concept that anything with wheels is a wheelbarrow though, bit like pizza is cheese on toast.

Otherwise that was kind of my point in regards the discussion that was going on, worth is relative to a moment in time and either the value the owner or the purchaser gives something, Mount would have been an £80m or more valued player to say he isn't now has more to do with his contract than his capacity as a footballer
But to have a debate over a players ‘objective’ worth, based solely on their ability as a footballer, with all things being equal, is ultimately a pointless exercise, because all things are *never equal* - the various goalposts are constantly shifting depending on the player’s form, his own wishes, the parent club’s need to sell, the other club’s need to buy, etc, and there’s also the constant process of transfer fee inflation.

So to argue that Mount, or any player, is ‘objectively’ worth £80 million, you’d have to specify under what circumstances - there is no default scenario. And the only real test of whether that valuation has any meaning is if the two clubs agree to that fee.

If newcastle/aston villa would sign mount for 40m , the posters here would have a field day (and rightly so). Such an average player, yet somehow 55m plus 250k per week is amazing business as if he is a prime robben.

Nobody in their right mind would mention a wee club.

But none of those mentioned can help solidify the middle of the park when ETH wants things narrower.
Mount is a good player. ETH has a plan. Just because it doesn’t match what your idea may be doesn’t mean it’s going to be a bad plan
That’s why a player that fits in as a 6/8 could’ve been better suited to those conditions, so you’re not having to sacrifice a wing position when it gets tough. The transfer window isn’t over so my complaints are overly preemptive, we’ll just have to wait and see but going off our current budget limitations it hasn’t filled me with confidence. ETH is a fantastic manager but he displayed naivety in his first season of PL football, so it’s fair to question some of his views.

Do we think Bruno will start to play deeper? Some of his best performances this year have been deeper and retaining the ball better

Yes IMO, he's a much better penetrative passer from deep than Mount is, where as Mount is actually a slightly better ball carrier and has a dangerous short passing game and possibly a better eye for goal.

If newcastle/aston villa would sign mount for 40m , the posters here would have a field day (and rightly so). Such an average player, yet somehow 55m plus 250k per week is amazing business as if he is a prime robben.

Newcastle are about to pay something like €70m for Tonali, a painfully average player who is being talked about as if he's prime Pirlo. The only thing he'll ever have in common with Pirlo is being long haired and Italian.

Maybe don't throw stones in glass houses.

Would you have signed up here if your wee club in the north east wasn't taken over by the Saudis?

Very happy with the signing. I always like Mount as a player and he was my favorite outside United team. Fully confident he will be a fan favorite and will help United to better.

Yeah, we're probably going to go after a backup £40m striker. Mount isn't a bad player but it's mind boggling how after most thought he was average, after this summer since we've been linked with him he's suddenly become worth £60m. He makes us slightly better but with him and Onana for £100m we pretty much go sideways, there's no real improvement especially up front where Rashford is pretty much the only goal threat we have.

Newcastle are about to pay something like €70m for Tonali, a painfully average player who is being talked about as if he's prime Pirlo. The only thing he'll ever have in common with Pirlo is being long haired and Italian.

Maybe don't throw stones in glass houses.

are you for real?
firstly the price is 52m, secondly tonali potential is huge.
Mount is just average footballer, you can read the unbiased views of man utd fans in the first 10 pages here.
Guimaraes=40m+120k/week

Mount=55m+250k/week.

you cannot make it up

We just never learn, it's frustrating at this point. Managers come and go but we still do the stupidest business possible. 55+5M for freaking Mount who had only one year left while Chelsea is desperated to reduce their squad.

It's beyond stupid at this point, we're managed by morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.