Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't yet seen it with Mount but it seems that ETH and various other managers rate him and he is the right profile of player. At the end of the day signing a proven player at a good age to come in to the first XI for £55-60m is not unreasonable.

The "1 year left on contract" thing hasn't actually made players cheaper for a long time. It just makes otherwise unobtainable players obtainable. We paid £24m for 28/29 yo RVP 10 years ago, which was a lot of money in those days. Hazard went for £150m(?) with one year left. Spurs have just rejected £70m for Kane.

Yeah, we're probably going to go after a backup £40m striker. Mount isn't a bad player but it's mind boggling how after most thought he was average, after this summer since we've been linked with him he's suddenly become worth £60m. He makes us slightly better but with him and Onana for £100m we pretty much go sideways, there's no real improvement especially up front where Rashford is pretty much the only goal threat we have.

I agree with the fact we desperately need a striker and how much Mount will improve us remains to be seen but the signing of Onana definitely isn’t a sideways step. He’ll completely transform how we play and our ability to play out from the back. Gone are the days of watching us pass it back to DDG only for him to hoof it up the pitch and hand over possession to the opposition.

3G+3A last season. Thats what we're buying with 55+5M ffs

Rashford last season 5G+2A. This season 30G+11A.

I'm no huge fan of Mount, but come on. Chelsea's season has been the kind of clusterfeck that nukes the performances and stats of every single player, inescapably.

How are Liverpool getting Szoboszlai for the same price? We’re so shit at negotiating

Mount about his best position.

"I like to think I'm a traditional midfielder even though I can play a number of roles for the team. I've always said that I'm best as a No.8 and I've played there ever since I was a young kid.

"I like to work from box-to-box, help out defensively but also get forward to score and assist goals for the team. That's where I think my strengths are. I'm versatile, so I can adapt and play higher up or a lot deeper."

When did he say that?

Anyway, I assume that EtH sees it like that as well and he will take Eriksen's starting spot.
My main concern is his injury and hope it does not become persistent.
He seems like leadership material which is a plus.

How are Liverpool getting Szoboszlai for the same price? We’re so shit at negotiating

I’ll take the proven PL player who’s won a CL and been comfortably one of Chelsea’s best players in recent years

Not to mention Mount was a Liverpool target that didn’t want to join

It’s hard to be when our recruitment has been tragic for the last decade, but I’ll try. Once we start to challenge city then I’ll wind my neck in.

I know I get it, but there is so much negativity around United even when they get a signing done. We get Mount, everyone including media immediately points to how much wages he’s getting. We miss out on Mount, everyone says he rejected us or complains we can’t get signings done. It frustrates me that when Liverpool sign a player the focus is immediately on what a good signing he is. They sign Mcallister and we are told it’s for 38m plus add ons. If we had signed him the price being spoke about would only be 55m

I’ll take the proven PL player who’s won a CL and been comfortably one of Chelsea’s best players in recent years

Not to mention Mount was a Liverpool target that didn’t want to join

Not just a target but their first choice priority target at that. I’m certainly not Mounts biggest fan but I’m willing to give him a chance, this trend of shitting on our own players/signings while bigging up our rivals is really starting to piss me off. Especially when a lot of folk probably know feck all about a player another clubs signed but purely because they’ve signed them and we haven’t they must be top drawer. :wenger:

A stupid statement. Didn’t he win the CL with Chelsea? Played a big role that season. You wouldn’t think the likes of Henderson would play a key role in the scousers winning the league but he did.
This is a stupid statement seeing that football keeps evolving and City weren't this strong a few years back and Henderson wasn't on 250k a month, if he was then they wouldn't be able to have bought and paid better players higher wages.

Hopefully he is a success on the same level as Keita. Klopp was considered a genius for pulling that deal off as I recall but when he started playing nobody bothered to go back and point out what a waste of money he turned out to be. Klopp even managed to make Thiago look like a Championship player so I am not going to get excited by another Bundesliga superstar.

I think that £55m is an absolute steal for a young, English international with Premier League, Champions League and International experience. Lets hope that Mount develops into a much better player, playing under a Manager who trusts and believes in him. Man Utd are building a team, Chelsea are just a bunch of superstars with no identity.

He could be another De Bruyne or Salah - players who did not make it at Chelsea but became World Class after leaving.

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense.

Hopefully he is a success on the same level as Keita. Klopp was considered a genius for pulling that deal off as I recall but when he started playing nobody bothered to go back and point out what a waste of money he turned out to be. Klopp even managed to make Thiago look like a Championship player so I am not going to get excited by another Bundesliga superstar.

Exactly. No one mentions the likes of Keita, Pepe, Mangala, Lukaku etc.

That’s a very weak argument given the context of last season for Chelsea whilst conveniently ignoring the seasons before where Mount performed very well.

But to have a debate over a players ‘objective’ worth, based solely on their ability as a footballer, with all things being equal, is ultimately a pointless exercise, because all things are *never equal* - the various goalposts are constantly shifting depending on the player’s form, his own wishes, the parent club’s need to sell, the other club’s need to buy, etc, and there’s also the constant process of transfer fee inflation.

So to argue that Mount, or any player, is ‘objectively’ worth £80 million, you’d have to specify under what circumstances - there is no default scenario. And the only real test of whether that valuation has any meaning is if the two clubs agree to that fee.
Again, True value is indeed determined by what someone is willing to pay.

But using your metrics, Mount is a Chelsea stalwart, someone who is a figurehead for the foundations of the club, that automatically adds a huge amount of value onto the player.
That's before we take his ability into account, which we have seen players of his calibre (champions league winner, playmaker, twice his clubs player of the season, young, English,) go for huge amounts of money, Grealish for example went for £100m, Mount has achieved more in his career so far than Grealish did before his move.

So yes, it's difficult to determine his true value, but we can have an educated guess at what it would be on the open market, and all signs point towards a player costing £80m plus.

But using your metrics, Mount is a Chelsea stalwart, someone who is a figurehead for the foundations of the club, that automatically adds a huge amount of value onto the player.
That's before we take his ability into account, which we have seen players of his calibre (champions league winner, playmaker, twice his clubs player of the season, young, English,) go for huge amounts of money, Grealish for example went for £100m, Mount has achieved more in his career so far than Grealish did before his move.

So yes, it's difficult to determine his true value, but we can have an educated guess at what it would be on the open market, and all signs point towards a player costing £80m plus.
We couldn't sell Lingard who had a great second half of the season for WHU and was also on a 1 year contract while Chelsea can sell us Mount for 50m+ who's also on a 1 year contract having had an absolute shit of a season.
There is no logic when it comes to Utd and dealing with transfers

This is a stupid statement seeing that football keeps evolving and City weren't this strong a few years back and Henderson wasn't on 250k a month, if he was then they wouldn't be able to have bought and paid better players higher wages.
What on earth are you on about? City have been strong for quite a few years now. Chelsea won the CL while city was still strong and Mount played a massive part in their CL campaign, he also got there player of the season twice. What’s Henderson’s wages got to do with anything? The point was people don’t rate Henderson but he’s still played a massive part in Liverpools success just like Mount has for Chelsea when they won the CL.

We couldn't sell Lingard who had a great second half of the season for WHU and was also on a 1 year contract while Chelsea can sell us Mount for 50m+ who's also on a 1 year contract having had an absolute shit of a season.
Murtoughnomics

That’s a very weak argument given the context of last season for Chelsea whilst conveniently ignoring the seasons before where Mount performed very well.
That’s what I feel like is happening… people are forgetting how crucial Mount was for Chelsea the seasons before last but of course because last season is still fresh in everyone’s mind they’re going of that. Also Havertz was trash last season but he got a move to runners up Arsenal.

It was actually 3G+6A in 35 games. Havertz for comparison had 9G+1A in 47 games, so 1 more G/A in 12 more games, and Arsenal just paid more for him. So we aren't the only fools overpaying. The market is insane these days. 60M now is more like 30M 10 years ago.

Lingard being decent for a few months at West Ham didn't erase years of mediocrity, just as Mount struggling in a shite Chelsea team doesn't erase years of excellent performances.

I's almost as if context matters, huh?

Rashford last season 5G+2A. This season 30G+11A.

I'm no huge fan of Mount, but come on. Chelsea's season has been the kind of clusterfeck that nukes the performances and stats of every single player, inescapably.
I wouldnt have paid 55M for Rashford a year ago. Sure Mount may have his break up season this year but you dont pay that much for a player who's on the low.

Clueless post. Just whining for the sake of it.
He's an offensive player who just had a terrible season, his numbers and performances we're poor at best. Saying we shouldnt had paid 55M for him is not whining for the sake of it. Wait a few seasons he'll join the Maguire, Wan Bissaka of overpriced british players list.

It was actually 3G+6A in 35 games. Havertz for comparison had 9G+1A in 47 games, so 1 more G/A in 12 more games, and Arsenal just paid more for him. So we aren't the only fools overpaying. The market is insane these days. 60M now is more like 30M 10 years ago.
The fact that Havertz's deal was even worse doesnt make this one right. How is chelsea getting top money for these players is beyond me. If we we're to sell Sancho how much would we get?

The fact that Havertz's deal was even worse doesnt make this one right. How is chelsea getting top money for these players is beyond me. If we we're to sell Sancho how much would we get?

I totally agree with you, I was just stating that the market is absolutely ridiculous and teams are overpaying for players that are not even performing.

A lot of people raving about Rice to Arsenal but in my mind Mount at 55 million represents considerably better value. I know they're not similar players, before someone mentions that. The point I'm making is that I really don't see why Rice to Arsenal is seen as a better deal.
Mount+Onana = better than Rice and a banana.

I like this player a lot. He has great delivery and a lovely clean strike of the ball. He could very well eventually be a top PL player but the fact is Mount is already a top PL and CL player. Goals and assists against us and all of our direct rival and a major player in a run to CL victory. He’s a great pickup and at a very good price. He will do damage coming off that left side. He’s got a good set piece. Technically excellent. Can play off either foot. He seems very confident in himself. He will also majorly enable Antony and Rashford whoever our new striker is.

I actually love this signing. It’s really smart business.

What is the ‘open market’? Wasn’t it an open market? Surely anyone else could have paid £80m for Mount if that was a fair price. So why didn’t they? Why didn’t we? Did Chelsea feel like being generous?

2 seasons ago Mason mount would of cost much more to prize away from Chelsea. It’s circumstantial and we should be here for it because he is a very good player. Don’t write him off, he will bring so much to our left hand side. The link up with shaw and rashford will be exciting.

I like this player a lot. He has great delivery and a lovely clean strike of the ball. He could very well eventually be a top PL player but the fact is Mount is already a top PL and CL player. Goals and assists against us and all of our direct rival and a major player in a run to CL victory. He’s a great pickup and at a very good price. He will do damage coming off that left side. He’s got a good set piece. Technically excellent. Can play off either foot. He seems very confident in himself. He will also majorly enable Antony and Rashford whoever our new striker is.

I actually love this signing. It’s really smart business.

Least we’ll have someone who can take a corner now and beat the first man.

I‘m reading Mount is a bad deal for us while Rice is good deal for Arse. If you ask me Arse overpaid by way more than we supposedly did.

Status
Not open for further replies.