Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some seem strangely irked he's leaving and very odd to single out the addons. If we do happen to have a successful period it will many factors. If not Mason then some other player would be brought in contribute instead. A good player but this isn't Messi/Ronaldo.

I am super happy if this goes through. IMO this is not what some say, a different option, but a key player for the first 11 for a new way of playing. Probably the most important signing for ETH and so the focus on him.

Don't jinx him. Mata was amazing at set pieces before he turned up here too :(

Honestly I think Mount is better at it than Mata was - Mata definitely benefitted from taking the biggest set piece in our history that every Chelsea fan has replayed thousands of times.

Some seem strangely irked he's leaving and very odd to single out the addons. If we do happen to have a successful period it will many factors. If not Mason then some other player would be brought in contribute instead. A good player but this isn't Messi/Ronaldo.

If he comes to United and plays a key role in winning multiple major trophies it not a good look for Chelsea obviously

EDIT: Also why would they not be irked by losing their 2 time player of the year?

Who could that be?
I can only think of Hojlund. Especially if that news from Luckhurst is true that we only have £65m. It might be enough for Kolo Muani too, no idea. But the former is more of a traditional 9 so I'm punting on that.

Disappointed. Sigh. But it is what it it. Hope he and other incomings turn us into title winning team.

You can't ignore the player having a year left on their contract. I'm actually really happy with the signing, but we don't need to lie. £55m for a player coming off a poor season with a year left on their contract isn't the best deal
I think £60m for him in normal circumstances is about right
What would you have sold Rashford for, at the end of last season. Just curious.

Hopefully he can replicate his Tuchel form and then we have a very exciting and versatile attacking player.

Because he's a player valued at circa £80m!

It's all fecking relative, we have got him for £55m, that's a fair whack off the general consensus of his valuation,
The whole ‘valued’ thing is pretty meaningless really. Footballers simply don’t have objective value, they’re more like works of art rather than pieces of real estate. A player is worth whatever anyone will pay for him, and not a single club on the planet would have paid £80m for Mount. And to be honest, there’s probably only us what would have paid what we paid.

If he comes to United and plays a key role in winning multiple major trophies it not a good look for Chelsea obviously

EDIT: Also why would they not be irked by losing their 2 time player of the year?

I guess I'm not familiar how much of a Chelsea guy Matt Law is then.

Last edited:
The whole ‘valued’ thing is pretty meaningless really. Footballers simply don’t have objective value, they’re more like works of art rather than pieces of real estate. A player is worth whatever anyone will pay for him, and not a single club on the planet would have paid £80m for Mount. And to be honest, there’s probably only us what would have paid what we paid.
At the end of the 21/22 season Mount was Chelsea player of the season, stats up there with DeBruyne and Bruno, £80m would not have been enough to even tempt a sale, you would have had to bid north of £100m to even get a sniff out of Chelsea.

The only reason reason that we can buy Mount this window is because he has a year left on his deal, TBH £55m is just as much of a gamble for Chelsea as it is for us, if Mount recaptures his form and we finish above Chelsea £55m is a steal, there is every chance this will happen

The whole length of contract thing is overhyped, unless you are down to the last 6 months, the selling club have to decide how much it will cost the team to cover the loss of the player (in terms of replacement or drop in quality), for a club like Chelsea the upside from having a players services for another year could easily be worth the loss of £55m, but 2,3,4,5 + year contracts it is all academic

Surprised the club haven’t confirmed this yet with a ‘subject to medical’ tweet like they usually do. If Ornstein breaks it then it’s usually because the club have told him.

So did I bro. I had him down as our next captain. Sad day today.

When I'm done grieving, I'll be praying for his downfall.

He seems like a good guy too.. whenever I have seen him In interviews etc he always speaks well and has a good energy about him. Very likeable guy.

I think that £55m is an absolute steal for a young, English international with Premier League, Champions League and International experience. Lets hope that Mount develops into a much better player, playing under a Manager who trusts and believes in him. Man Utd are building a team, Chelsea are just a bunch of superstars with no identity.

He could be another De Bruyne or Salah - players who did not make it at Chelsea but became World Class after leaving.

At the end of the 21/22 season Mount was Chelsea player of the season, stats up there with DeBruyne and Bruno, £80m would not have been enough to even tempt a sale, you would have had to bid north of £100m to even get a sniff out of Chelsea.
And if Mason Mount had wheels he’d be a wheelbarrow. We’re not talking about what might have been the case in 21/22, we’re talking about objective reality in 2023. And in the objective reality of 2023, not a single club in the world would pay £80m for Mount. £55m+5 is what we’re paying for him, so I guess that is what he’s worth.

Is there any reason he hasn't played 90 mins for 6 months? Last time he played a full match was January 15th.

Is there any reason he hasn't played 90 mins for 6 months? Last time he played a full match was January 15th.
Chelsea’s new owners made a DNA test and found out he was actually not Lampard’s son.

And if Mason Mount had wheels he’d be a wheelbarrow. We’re not talking about what might have been the case in 21/22, we’re talking about objective reality in 2023. And in the objective reality of 2023, not a single club in the world would pay £80m for Mount. £55m+5 is what we’re paying for him, so I guess that is what he’s worth.
To be fair you can’t say fact is fact then not present a fact as your argument!

Was injured pretty much the entire time from the end of February until the season ended.

Potter was changing formations an line-ups every week, moving players around and trying different things. All of their midfielders and attackers got subbed a lot as Potter was desperately trying to make things work.

If Liverpool managed to sign him for the same price, I’m certain many of the detractors would be praising them for doing great business and being opportunistic in the market while slagging Murtough and Fletcher. Some of you will never be happy.

Great to see us digging our heels in and not paying over the odds. We got a bargain in the end.

Great to see us digging our heels in and not paying over the odds. We got a bargain in the end.
When he could’ve been signed on a free next season, 55/60 million on a player coming out of a bad season is no such thing. It’s a warped perception engineered by Chelsea’s ridiculous initial asking price.

Mount about his best position.

"I like to think I'm a traditional midfielder even though I can play a number of roles for the team. I've always said that I'm best as a No.8 and I've played there ever since I was a young kid.

"I like to work from box-to-box, help out defensively but also get forward to score and assist goals for the team. That's where I think my strengths are. I'm versatile, so I can adapt and play higher up or a lot deeper."

It’s interesting to see a signing of Mount’s age/profile for a change. As in 23-25 and established international over a few seasons.
The last 10 years we’ve gone for younger rawer players or older slightly past it big names.
At a quick glance I can only see maybe Martinez/Bruno/Maguire/Di Maria. I’m sure there are more but this feels fresh to our norm.

When he could’ve been signed on a free next season, 55/60 million on a player coming out of a bad season is no such thing. It’s a warped perception engineered by Chelsea’s ridiculous initial asking price.

try to be positive

I think that £55m is an absolute steal for a young, English international with Premier League, Champions League and International experience. Lets hope that Mount develops into a much better player, playing under a Manager who trusts and believes in him. Man Utd are building a team, Chelsea are just a bunch of superstars with no identity.

He could be another De Bruyne or Salah - players who did not make it at Chelsea but became World Class after leaving.
But Mason Mount did make it at Chelsea, and was a key player for them prior to last season, which seemed like a write-off for the squad as a whole.

A bargain?? :lol:

I know! Even if he had 4 years on his contract it's a lot of money. I'd put him in the Oxlade-Chamberlain category of quality rather than this expectation he's going to be the next De Bruyne. I don't even think he starts for us which is why I think it's a total waste of money. We need a CF and there are no links to players of quality or availability. Why waste £60m when we have such a glaring hole in the first 11.

I know Youtube videos are a bit dodgy for gauging a player's quality, but I had a look at his highlights from the 2021-22 season, and he looked like exactly the kind of player we've been missing.

I know! Even if he had 4 years on his contract it's a lot of money. I'd put him in the Oxlade-Chamberlain category of quality rather than this expectation he's going to be the next De Bruyne. I don't even think he starts for us which is why I think it's a total waste of money. We need a CF and there are no links to players of quality or availability. Why waste £60m when we have such a glaring hole in the first 11.
You don't reckon he'll take Eriksen's place?

Status
Not open for further replies.