Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

Dembeza

Guys can we please stop bumping this thread to go round in circles over arguments that have already been had multiple times? We’ve all had our say. How about updating with news if there’s any. Otherwise let the thread die til the next update
Agreed.

Have not been following this, any idea when we expect a decision to be made on this?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agreed.

Have not been following this, any idea when we expect a decision to be made on this?
There’s talk of his dad having met the benfica director of football already so maybe an inkling that’s a possible destination. Dont think it will be too long until we find out

BabySinclair

Lots of reports in the italian press (Especially Di Marzio) that he will go to Juventus.....the transfer fee could be between €30-50m.

the_cliff

Am I correct in saying since he's homegrown the transfer fee would create a decent amount of ffp wiggle room ?

Get this done and bring in Olise ASAP. We'll get rid of a huge problem and bring in a better player.

tidraKS

Am I correct in saying since he's homegrown the transfer fee would create a decent amount of ffp wiggle room ?

Get this done and bring in Olise ASAP. We'll get rid of a huge problem and bring in a better player.
Except for the fact he’s not better.

the_cliff

Except for the fact he’s not better.
Both the same age, Olise is a far better dribbler, better first touch, better creator, Greenwood is the better finisher though.

Stats this season:
Greenwood:
36 Apps: 10 Goals 6 Assists

Olise:
19 Apps: 10 Goals 6 Assists

Greenwood played almost double the amount of minutes.

Sure, Greenwood is better.

tidraKS

Both the same age, Olise is a far better dribbler, better first touch, better creator, Greenwood is the better finisher though.

Stats this season:
Greenwood:
36 Apps: 10 Goals 6 Assists

Olise:
19 Apps: 10 Goals 6 Assists

Greenwood played almost double the amount of minutes.

Sure, Greenwood is better.
Olise could maybe be only a better creator, all the other attributes are on Mason’s side.

VWW

John Murtough
I like how he some how managed to avoid the full force of accountability in relation to players bought and sold. People harp on about Ten Hag and yes to a degree he is partly responsible for the players that we brought in but he never negotiated prices and contracts....thats all John Murtough. Thank God he's no longer here.

Skills

Snitch
Is Chiesa any good these days? If so, shouldn't we be looking at doing one of those FFP swap deals with Juve to dig us out of a mess for a few years?

macheda14

If this is true, whoever autorised that deal from our end should never be allowed near a contract again.

A player contact, a phone contract, any contract!
That’s fecking mental.
I'll wait until Ornstein or Stone report this before I believe it to be honest, seems completely unprecedented and fecking mental if true.
It was quite well reported around Christmas when it sounded like Getafe wanted to make the deal permanent. It was a good move as it ensured that Getafe actually wanted to develop him, either they buy the player or they make some money playing him and increasing his value.

'here's a player that is very talented, but hasn't played for a year and is toxic in terms of PR, you could earn a few million quid if you take him and play him'

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If this is true, whoever autorised that deal from our end should never be allowed near a contract again.

A player contact, a phone contract, any contract!
This is typical emotional fan talk IMO. If it was such bad business then it wouldn’t have been agreed and Getafe wouldn’t have asked for it. Is it common practice for teams to ask to profit from future sales of players they loan?

The facts of the situation (not that everyone isn’t aware) were that we found ourselves in situation where we couldn’t play MG and other teams were afraid to touch him. Getafe did us a favour by getting a player who had been sidelined for 18 months back into the game, taking the heat that we were not prepared to take ourselves, and allowing him to showcase his talents to potential buyers. Greenwood has become an asset again thanks to Getafe, and for allowing us to park him there is worth something for them.

Let’s not pretend that ordinarily, Greenwood is just plodding along as one of the best talents in world football and then we just loan him to Getafe.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We're lucky that we've got a chance of getting 80% of a fee thanks to Getafe.

Teja

This is typical emotional fan talk IMO. If it was such bad business then it wouldn’t have been agreed and Getafe wouldn’t have asked for it. Is it common practice for teams to ask to profit from future sales of players they loan?

The facts of the situation (not that everyone isn’t aware) were that we found ourselves in situation where we couldn’t play MG and other teams were afraid to touch him. Getafe did us a favour by getting a player who had been sidelined for 18 months back into the game, taking the heat that we were not prepared to take ourselves, and allowing him to showcase his talents to potential buyers. Greenwood has become an asset again thanks to Getafe, and for allowing us to park him there is worth something for them.

Let’s not pretend that ordinarily, Greenwood is just plodding along as one of the best talents in world football and then we just loan him to Getafe.
I agree with this take. It's easy to shit on the decision but no one wanted to touch him with a 10ft pole. He had a platform at Getafe and performed against clubs like Atleti inflating his transfer value. Anyway, it is what it is. He's normally much more than a 50M player - we wouldn't have sold him even for 100M a few years ago so it's pretty good business for Juve. Just get as much as we can out from the deal and move on.

Had a bunch of caftards argue with me that generating 100m from Casemiro, Sancho and Greenwood was impossible. Let's see. I think INEOS are doing good business.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need a proper sell-on clause in any deal, and a particularly high one (like 50% of any profits) if he is sold to a PL club.

Anyway, I suspect that at these prices Juve don’t do this deal unchallenged, hopefully we get an auction.