Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you so sure of that? He’s clearly going to be playing football at the highest level next season so why shouldn’t that be at the club he grew up at? You may object morally but ultimately unless someone comes in with a silly money offer, I’d be amazed if he isn’t a big part of the squad next year.

The clubs previous statements.
The fact that INEOS won't want to begin their regime with an enormous media s***show.
The fact that even if we sell him for below market value he is pure profit and helps our finances and spending enormously.

Seems silly to pay to go see a match to see a player play that you intend to boo at every touch, hoping your displeasure is reverberated across the stadium and down to the player with the goal to demoralize him and inflict negative energy unto your club. A team in which you hope will win the game but which in fact you aren’t really supporting. Personally, I would just suggest not buying a ticket and staying home and booing at the telly. Seems more effective.

Seems silly to pay to go see a match to see a player play that you intend to boo at every touch, hoping your displeasure is reverberated across the stadium and down to the player with the goal to demoralize him and inflict negative energy unto your club. A team in which you hope will win the game but which in fact you aren’t really supporting. Personally, I would just suggest not buying a ticket and staying home and booing at the telly. Seems more effective.
Effective in what way?

What a bad suggestion. If someone wants to be effective at getting their displeasure across in the hope of influencing a different outcome, they should do the opposite of what you say.

Of course they will. Nobody really cares at the end of the day. Most of them have already forgotten.

Many obviously do care, otherwise he would still be at the club right now if not for the protests after it was revealed United were planning on bringing him back.

The clubs previous statements.
The fact that INEOS won't want to begin their regime with an enormous media s***show.
The fact that even if we sell him for below market value he is pure profit and helps our finances and spending enormously.
Guess we’ll find out soon enough but I’m pretty certain he’ll be back. He’s simply too good a player to cast aside considering the mess we’re in. He walks into our team and instantly improves it drastically, which is ultimately the most important factor in play.

Effective in what way?
Not putting your hard earned money into a club that’s supports a player whom you don’t agree should be playing for the club. That and you can be miserable at home instead of going out in public and being miserable.

What a bad suggestion. If someone wants to be effective at getting their displeasure across in the hope of influencing a different outcome, they should do the opposite of what you say.
I can almost guarantee you that empty seats will be more effective than booing fans. But of course we can agree to disagree.

Not many at Old Trafford would boo Greenwood, those who think they would don't go to many matches and dont understand our fan culture.

It doesnt mean they support Greenwood though but booing a player at OT is rare, the general idea is to support the team on the pitch regardless.

The reaction off the pitch is actually more important as we saw last summer.

Not many at Old Trafford would boo Greenwood, those who think they would don't go to many matches and dont understand our fan culture.

It doesnt mean they support Greenwood though but booing a player at OT is rare, the general idea is to support the team on the pitch regardless.

I think this is one of the more sensible posts on this topic.
Well done :)

Well put!

I think this is one of the more sensible posts on this topic.
Well done :)

Indeed it is. Rood’s posts on this topic have been consistently balanced and fair.

Add to that his podcasts are brilliant. He’s a credit to the forum.

Regarding Greenwood, I think one angle that doesn’t really get considered too much is that there’s a very good chance he himself doesn’t even want to return to Utd.

He may look at Bellingham, Kane etc and just feel that there’s more for him and his young family away from England.

I know many in here are keen to downplay his performances in a very conservative Getafe side, but the reality is that he is a generational talent, and whether you like it / him or not, if Utd don’t manage to get him back he will soon be shining at another big club.

Those who doubt this - listen to how Fergie speaks of him, listen to how other players speak of him.

Obviously the narrative is firmly focussed on ‘will Utd recall him’, but he, as a human being, likely feels unimpressed with how Utd were about to reinstall him and then literally U-Turned and sent him off to Getafe at the last minute, and if Barca, Real etc came in for him I doubt many players would currently choose Utd over them.

I feel he’d be better to continue his career and family life away from the UK media. He (and his family) seem very happy and I think they should keep on that wave.

That said, I would welcome him back at Utd as would the vast majority of Utd fans.

As I’ve said from the get-go with this topic, I want to see a happy outcome for that family - I want to see him grow into a great Dad and a balanced, hard working person and I want to see his family happy and enjoying their lives.

I don’t believe the UK media either wants this outcome or will contribute to it happening.

Guess we’ll find out soon enough but I’m pretty certain he’ll be back. He’s simply too good a player to cast aside considering the mess we’re in. He walks into our team and instantly improves it drastically, which is ultimately the most important factor in play.
He won’t be in my opinion , you’re also missing the point in the rest of the post. The decision to what happens next will have nothing to do with “walking into our team” or “too good a player to cast aside”

Araujo is quite good, and is a physical beast. I would certainly take him in exchange for Greenwood
That would be an amazing deal if we can get it done. Someone who actually fits a part in our squad. I’m not sure how greenwood fits other than super sub.

That would be an amazing deal if we can get it done. Someone who actually fits a part in our squad. I’m not sure how greenwood fits other than super sub.

Yeah man. I hate when I read things like that that have a small chance of being true, but are like 98% chance not true, because then I get excited at what could be :lol:

Indeed it is. Rood’s posts on this topic have been consistently balanced and fair.

Regarding Greenwood, I think one angle that doesn’t really get considered too much is that there’s a very good chance he himself doesn’t even want to return to Utd.

He may look at Bellingham, Kane etc and just feel that there’s more for him and his young family away from England.

I know many in here are keen to downplay his performances in a very conservative Getafe side, but the reality is that he is a generational talent, and whether you like it / him or not, if Utd don’t manage to get him back he will soon be shining at another big club.

Those who doubt this - listen to how Fergie speaks of him, listen to how other players speak of him.

Obviously the narrative is firmly focussed on ‘will Utd recall him’, but he, as a human being, likely feels unimpressed with how Utd were about to reinstall him and then literally U-Turned and sent him off to Getafe at the last minute, and if Barca, Real etc came in for him I doubt many players would currently choose Utd over them.

I feel he’d be better to continue his career and family life away from the UK media. He (and his family) seem very happy and I think they should keep on that wave.

That said, I would welcome him back at Utd as would the vast majority of Utd fans.

As I’ve said from the get-go with this topic, I want to see a happy outcome for that family - I want to see him grow into a great Dad and a balanced, hard working person and I want to see his family happy and enjoying their lives.

I don’t believe the UK media either wants this outcome or will contribute to it happening.
I'm actually shocked Juventus haven't already come for him to be honest. Barca and Madrid may be too cautious due to the possible backlash but in Italy the media would be much less critical. I like you, would not mind him back but having tasted the low media attention outside England I'm sure he would be less inclined to return now. If a big enough team comes calling, he'll most likely leave.

I'm actually shocked Juventus haven't already come for him to be honest. Barca and Madrid may be too cautious due to the possible backlash but in Italy the media would be much less critical. I like you, would not mind him back but having tasted the low media attention outside England I'm sure he would be less inclined to return now. If a big enough team comes calling, he'll most likely leave.
Yes, it would not surprise me in the least if he decided to play his football in one of the top leagues outside England and he would tear it up in Italy.
I suppose it depends on if he wants to live and bring up his young family away from England and if his partner is in agreement with that.

Community Notes:

Rood has been criticised for his approving of only one point of view in his powers as a scout and had to be told by the higher ups to stop being so biased.

Not putting your hard earned money into a club that’s supports a player whom you don’t agree should be playing for the club. That and you can be miserable at home instead of going out in public and being miserable.
Again, how does this make it effective? Effective in what way?

You don't believe in protest or progress through voicing ones opinion?

So in your life, you never complain or voice concern, you just walk away?

Odd post. He is activist and obviously partisan, as many of us are, on what has become an oddly polarising subject.

having read a bit of the takeover forum also, I've noticed many of the pro-Qatar posters are in favour of greenwood returning

seems to be a general trend and one definitely worth fighting

Great, agreed that he'd be better off continuing his career elsewhere. Let's just hope that's what happens, eh?

According to various sources, Greenwood was originally arrested on suspicion of rape and assault. He was then "further arrested" on suspicion of sexual assault and making death threats.

According to CNN, Greenwood was charged with:
  • attempted rape
  • assault
  • coercive and controlling behaviour
He was then arrested for breaching bail conditions and contacting his accuser.

Couple this with the video and audio, which so far have no explanation, and I genuinely don't understand why so many people defend this guy.

Because he is good at kicking a ball.

Aye it's a huge gamble to think he will hit the ground running, and even if he does that won't placate everyone.

The reputational damage alone, even if you don't care about the moral/ethical arguments, is worth hundreds of millions. Sponsors will be far less likely to want to give us $ for sure.

Of course they will. Nobody really cares at the end of the day. Most of them have already forgotten.
Well there's a depressing post. And patently untrue. It will remain untrue no matter what transpires, no matter if Greenwood returns and fires us to a league title. A lot of people care. I fervently hope we cut him loose and I don't give a shit if he picks up a Ballon d'Or at Juve or wherever, it will have been the right thing to do.

Reactions: Wibble
It was always going to be polarising was it not?

No, I presumed domestic abuse would be less so.

Interestingly enough, I have asked my peers (aged lefty types mostly) and it's not polarising at all. It's unanimously against a return with no explanation for what we saw.

So I'm wondering, despite the poll on here, is the dispute skewed by a very vocal minority who are more active online. Like for instance guns in the US, with the massive silent majority not actually that split but hugely pro gun regulation.

No, I presumed domestic abuse would be less so.

Interestingly enough, I have asked my peers (aged lefty types mostly) and it's not polarising at all. It's unanimously against a return with no explanation for what we saw.

So I'm wondering, despite the poll on here, is the dispute skewed by a very vocal minority who are more active online. Like for instance guns in the US, with the massive silent majority not actually that split but hugely pro gun regulation.
I don’t think so. Anecdotally amongst my friends 20-30 age bracket and from a combination of London and Manchester based fans, opinions are split but most would reluctantly have him back. I think support in the stadium would be pretty significant and if he performed he’s very quickly gain a significant following. Having said that I still think the club with fear the social media backlash and get rid.

Status
Not open for further replies.