Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Rashford has forged a good career out here and he’s a decent talent. But greenwood is another league of talent to Rashford. However as we know talent is only part of the equation so it remains to be seen if Greenwood has the other elements. I still think if he gets a move to a Barca he will absolutely star.

They're very different players. Rashford, despite his recent struggles, has dropped a 30 goals season for us. We don't know if Greenwood would ever do that. Maybe he would, maybe not.

Damn. Now you gave me a scary thought. I still thing we could find enough stupid people in United's recruiting team that would facilitate to swap Greenwood for fecking Raphinha or any other Barcelona deadwood. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that. Swap for Araujo (Uraguay not Argentina) or De Jong and we maybe got a deal but please don't add more mediocrity.
I always rated Raphinha when he was at Leeds. He's fast, an excellent dribbler, can whip in an accurate cross, has a decent shot on him and is mint at set pieces. I haven't watched much of him at Barca but he wouldn't have lost that ability overnight. Agree a De Jong swap would be more preferable but I've already accepted he doesn't want to come here.

Rashford, despite his recent struggles, has dropped a 30 goals season for us. We don't know if Greenwood would ever do that. Maybe he would, maybe not.
He absolutely would. He dropped a 17 goal season when he was 18 and barely started any league games until post lockdown.

He absolutely would. He dropped a 17 goal season when he was 18 and barely started any league games until post lockdown.

Michael Owen dropped a 23 goal season as an 18 year old and still never reached 30 in a year throughout the rest of this career. Its impossible to predict whether a young player will ever fully reach their full potential.

Michael Owen dropped a 23 goal season as an 18 year old and still never reached 30 in a year throughout the rest of this career. Its impossible to predict whether a young player will ever fully reach their full potential.
If I were to nitpick I'd argue Owen's two 28 goal seasons are more impressive than Rashford managing one season over 25+ goals.

One thing we can all agree on was Greenwood's finishing ability was better than most players we'd ever seen of his age group, but I guess you're correct in saying it's impossible to predict the future.

If I were to nitpick I'd argue Owen's two 28 goal seasons are more impressive than Rashford managing one season over 25+ goals.

One thing we can all agree on was Greenwood's finishing ability was better than most players we'd ever seen of his age group, but I guess you're correct in saying it's impossible to predict the future.

Yes, but Rashford is only 26 and still has a good 5 years of top football ahead of him.

I agree on Greenwood's finishing. The question is whether it was more of an early career phenomenon (see early Martial) or whether its simply a dormant attribute that he can reclaim and improve on in the coming years.

I was and still am against him returning to the United squad. I hope he will do really well abroad, just like Sancho so we can fetch a higher transfer fee.

There was a moment I was hoping maybe United could reintegrate him back into the team, because he still is a special talent and I want the best for my club. However, now I realise what's best for the club is for him not to return to Manchester. So now I don't care what happens to him. I just don't want him back.

His attitude is god awful, a lack of professionalism both for United and well for England, he comes across like a spoiled, entitled Gen Z.

I've seen a clip on his gf's social media where he just bluntly tells her that he wants to f*ck her, in front of the camera. I don't understand. Is that normal now?

I just don't like the lad. Special talent, yes, but there are lots of talented footballers out there who don't come across like a total ...

It's time we purge these so-called wannabe football celebrities out of our club and sign talented, level-headed professional footballers.

Last edited:
His attitude is god awful, his lack of professionalism both for United and well for England, he comes across like a spoiled, entitled Gen Z.
I don't get why people still reference the Iceland incident as an example of his poor professionalism. On that occasion, him and Foden were both guilty of the same thing, and yet no one calls Foden unprofessional for it.

I've seen a clip on his gf's social media where he just bluntly tells her that he wants to f*ck her, in front of the camera. I don't understand. Is that normal now?
If it's the same clip I'm thinking of, he was 17 when that was taken. We've seen footballers say and do far worse on camera, including Greenwood himself in an unrelated voice note, so it seems odd to get hung up on a relatively innocuous clip.

I'm guessing you disliked him before those damning pics and audio clips were released, as I'm not sure why else you felt the need to reference trivial matters related to Greenwood when the sticking point for most people is the rape and domestic abuse allegations against him.

I don't get why people still reference the Iceland incident as an example of his poor professionalism. On that occasion, him and Foden were both guilty of the same thing, and yet no one calls Foden unprofessional for it.

If it's the same clip I'm thinking of, he was 17 when that was taken. We've seen footballers say and do far worse on camera, including Greenwood himself in an unrelated voice note, so it seems odd to get hung up on a relatively innocuous clip.

I'm guessing you disliked him before those damning pics and audio clips were released, as I'm not sure why else you felt the need to reference trivial matters related to Greenwood when the sticking point for most people is the rape and domestic abuse allegations against him.

We are not talking about Foden, we are talking about Greenwood. But yes, both were equally unprofessional that time.

I dislike people like Greenwood. I don't want this guy to be my work colleague that's for sure and alot of people would agree with me.

Such guys will only destroy the group's dynamics and atmosphere. He was still 17 then and was already starting to be a detrimental figure, controversial even, within the club and the damning pictures and audio clips didn't even surface yet.

Last edited:
We are not talking about Foden, we are talking about Greenwood. But yes, both were equally unprofessional that time.

I dislike people like Greenwood. I don't want this guy to be my work colleague that's for sure and alot of people would agree with me.

Such guys will only destroy the group's dynamics and atmosphere. He was still 17 then and was already starting to be a detrimental figure, controversial even, within the club and the damning pictures and audio clips didn't even surface yet.
Based on what?

Greenwood will 100% be integrated back into the first team next season. Do we honestly think we are going to part with a potential superstar when we’re crying out for a player in his position?! Not a chance.
I don’t believe that INEOS will want to deal with that shitshow in their first summer. If they can get a decent amount for a homegrown player it will alleviate FFP a bit

His feud with Ronaldo and calling our academy players sh*.
By 'fued', do you mean him often daring to shoot instead of always looking to pass to Ronaldo like some of his teammates? I have no idea what you're referring to with the academy players, but he's barely done any interviews in his short career, and I'm pretty sure he's never publicly said that about our academy.

Greenwood will 100% be integrated back into the first team next season. Do we honestly think we are going to part with a potential superstar when we’re crying out for a player in his position?! Not a chance.

We are most definitely not bringing him back. We can debate his ability and his performances all we like but in terms of him playing for United that ship has sailed.

By 'fued', do you mean him often daring to shoot instead of always looking to pass to Ronaldo like some of his teammates? I have no idea what you're referring to with the academy players, but he's barely done any interviews in his short career, and I'm pretty sure he's never publicly said that about our academy.
He is making things up... you only have to look at how quickly he seemed to defer to Cavani to know that he knew his place and was confident in the kind of striker he wanted to be. His "feud" with Ronaldo was basically him refusing to hide under Ronaldo's shadow.

Problem is that in a world that no one gives a fk about morals playing fair gets you knowhere. Barca getting him for 50 mill and us stuck with 80 mill Antony will be a joke.

You genuinely think Rashford is a better talent than Greenwood?
Rashford by the same age had achieved more in the game. It’s not just talent but mentality and Rashford certainly had a better all round mentality and work ethic than Greenwood.

This is clear. Greenwood is a clown by all accounts the things he says to other players on the training pitch.

You can’t have idiots like that around your squad and it’s the reason why even with more talent arguably he will never get to the level Rashford has in the game.

I see Greenwood been a journeyman and squad player if he moves to Barcelona for example. Rashford did kinda make it to the top of a massive club. Greenwood never will.

He is making things up... you only have to look at how quickly he seemed to defer to Cavani to know that he knew his place and was confident in the kind of striker he wanted to be. His "feud" with Ronaldo was basically him refusing to hide under Ronaldo's shadow.
I suspected that was the case. I've seen people recirculate clips of one of Ole's last games where Greenwood was opting to shoot instead of passing to Ronaldo, but I actually quite liked that selfish side to his game. He had faith in his own finishing ability and rightfully so. In Ronaldo's last few months with us, it became a bit embarrassing watching so many of our players (who clearly idolised Ronaldo) trying to set him up when there were better options available.

Greenwood is a clown by all accounts the things he says to other players on the training pitch.
Again with this?! I wish I had the same level of access to the conversations that have taken place at Carrington like some of the posters on here appear to.

We are most definitely not bringing him back. We can debate his ability and his performances all we like but in terms of him playing for United that ship has sailed.
What makes you so sure of that? He’s clearly going to be playing football at the highest level next season so why shouldn’t that be at the club he grew up at? You may object morally but ultimately unless someone comes in with a silly money offer, I’d be amazed if he isn’t a big part of the squad next year.

I don’t believe that INEOS will want to deal with that shitshow in their first summer. If they can get a decent amount for a homegrown player it will alleviate FFP a bit
People move on and the same will happen in this case. It will be big news for a few weeks and he’ll get stick from away supporters but ultimately if he gets his head down and starts banging in the goals I think people will generally let sleeping dogs lie. We are in dire need of a forward and a RW so I just can’t see us essentially giving him away especially when we currently lack funds.

Problem is that in a world that no one gives a fk about morals playing fair gets you knowhere. Barca getting him for 50 mill and us stuck with 80 mill Antony will be a joke.
Great, so let's live in some kind of dystopian lord of the flies nightmare where morality doesn't exist? See you at the bottom of the body pile.

Great, so let's live in some kind of dystopian lord of the flies nightmare where morality doesn't exist? See you at the bottom of the body pile.
Sorry to burst your illusion. Mike Tyson literally raped someone and is more idolized then ever. Then add corruption in football and on and on

Sorry to burst your illusion. Mike Tyson literally raped someone and is more idolized then ever. Then add corruption in football and on and on
What in the world are you talking about? What does this have to do with what I said. Or even what you said?

I suspected that was the case. I've seen people recirculate clips of one of Ole's last games where Greenwood was opting to shoot instead of passing to Ronaldo, but I actually quite liked that selfish side to his game. He had faith in his own finishing ability and rightfully so. In Ronaldo's last few months with us, it became a bit embarrassing watching so many of our players (who clearly idolised Ronaldo) trying to set him up when there were better options available.

Again with this?! I wish I had the same level of access to the conversations that have taken place at Carrington like some of the posters on here appear to.

TBF I do remember an Athletic article that referenced some of the things the people you are quoting are referring to, something along the lines of him looking down at his academy teammates for not being on his level and other issues the United staff were looking to correct. Think there was something in there about Ole having someone to basically baby sit him and make sure he stayed out of trouble.

The guy has his issues, one of the biggest reasons why I personally didn't think he deserved to be back in the side was because of the lack of accountability that he demonstrated and seemingly continues to demonstrate thanks to "fans" wanting to forgive and forget his domestic violence incidents because he's good at football. A spoiled brat getting out with a slap on the wrist screams recipe for disaster.

Lets see what the new regime can do in terms of player sales...I see no reason why the club can't make a big profit on the sale of Greenwood this summer.

Yeah when we appoint a Director of Football and Head of Recruitment I expect them to have an idea of how to get good value

Sounds like we should do a poll on who thinks the club will bring him back into the fold next season?

I try to see both sides,however realise fence sitting won't be allowed on this
I am waiting to see when MUTV do their progress report on players on loan to see if he gets a mention.
That would be a good indicator.

Greenwood will never play for United again. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not understanding the socio-political landscape we operate in

People move on and the same will happen in this case. It will be big news for a few weeks and he’ll get stick from away supporters but ultimately if he gets his head down and starts banging in the goals I think people will generally let sleeping dogs lie. We are in dire need of a forward and a RW so I just can’t see us essentially giving him away especially when we currently lack funds.
He will get booed by at least half the home supporters, let’s not pretend it will just be away fans. They won’t want that

He will get booed by at least half the home supporters, let’s not pretend it will just be away fans. They won’t want that
Also I could see real disharmony and division in the dressing room too because there will definitely be some of the squad who won't want him back and others that do, and I can't see ineos and anyone they bring in wanting to deal with that shit show if things are just starting to get on the right track for us as a club again.

Status
Not open for further replies.