Mason Greenwood | Officially a Marseille player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of context right guys?

F4D4YfXWsAAk3Aw

But they said both things were the reason for the decision. Why would they do that if it was only the witness refusing to testify?
Doesn't mean both have equal value. Losing a key witness kills 95% of your case. Whatever the "new material" is, it may not matter much or enough to sway someone's opinion. But added to the previous, more important loss of a witness it makes it worse.

It reflects worse on him that he is still with the woman who basically ruined his life with false accusations. I can't understand how this is even a debate, if a man is not charged with a crime and convicted of said crime, it is not our job to make up our own opinion on that matter. This is cancel culture at it's finest.

Yet you're accusing someone of making false accusations, which is a crime. To be fair this doesn't contradict what you're saying, because the person you're accusing is not a man. I think if we want to fully capture what you meant, you should elaborate:

" I can't understand how this is even a debate, if a man is not charged with a crime and convicted of said crime, it is not our job to make up our own opinion on that matter. If it's a woman it's our job, though."

Better, don't you think?

Perfect representation of our society these days. You make a point I don’t agree with, banned. How about not having the spine of a jellyfish and learning how to argue with someone and coming to the outcome of agree to disagree. What a concept!

Okay - let’s have a debate.

I think people who have clearly assaulted a woman should not play football for a club I support! Over to you!

I wonder how much the 'fan' backlash influenced this decision. Rachel Riley and co? City soon ditched Mendy when he was charged, he was eventually found not guilty which also means his accussers were lying. The CPS dropping the case against Greenwood because they thought they couldn't secure a conviction means to me that their witnesses either couldn't stand up to cross examination or they were got at which seems to be the general perception when this stuff happens. Whatever, Mason would have been torn to bits by away crowds and some United fans, so the best decision is for him to leave, let him and his 'victim' get their lives back on track elsewhere. There is no perfect solution to this one.

I don’t understand what Arnold means by this sentence in his statement?

“Although we have decided that Mason will seek to rebuild his career away from Manchester United, that does not signal the end of this matter.”

Leaving the door open for a return? Or does it mean we still need to agree a transfer as we want a fee for him?

We are looking to sell or loan rather than cancelling his contract with immediate effect. He's finished at United and will never wear the shirt again, but he might remain on the United books for a year or more while the club tries to shift him.

“I fully accept the clubs decision that my career should continue elsewhere. I apologize to my partner- the mother of my child, for being the sole reason that all of this occurred. I have no explanation for what was on that audio recording, but can tell you that I will never be able to forgive myself for having been the sole reason that it happened. Wherever I play football, I will be sending a portion of my salary for the rest of my career to domestic abuse charities. I cannot change what happened, but I can change who I am today, and in the future”

There you go Mason.

Well I'm pissed right off, some club is getting a top quality player, and it will be for peanuts...
I wanted him back in , but UTDs board have given in to peer pressure from other quarters..

I hope the boy goes on and plays his football abroad and scores shit load of goals , comes back as a visiting player in CL or Europa league or conference league and scores a Hattrick .... and i will cheer every fecking goal, I've followed this club since 8 yrs of age and I'm seriously thinking of feck it now .....

The meltdowns like this from actual grown ups :lol:

Thank God.

I was afraid of the club making a stupid decisions based on our shit results and form and bring him back to the team against all common sense and logic.

The issue with the whole "we only have a little sample, we don't have the full context of the tape" defense is that nobody has offered a plausible explanation of what else is on the tape and backed that explanation with a single shred of evidence.
It definitely seems highly suspect. All that statement really says is pad out what the police said - i.e. we can't charge him
You can see some fans latching onto it already without even knowing what it said, if it said anything at all.

In the eyes of the law, yes. But in public opinion, I dont think that should be going against him. He wasn't throwing a house party, he was trying to start a family, and I believe the police recognized that.

The first sentence there is really the only one relevant to the point being made.

Banned for what ,exactly

Well, suggesting the alleged victim was out to get something with her accusations would be a worthy one for sure.

I would have liked to know what the evidence was in that longer recording etc. though I accept they cannot do this for legal reasons.

Under the circumstances, I think Richard Arnold's communication is fine.

He does need to go abroad though and rebuild his career. I hope he has learnt his lesson, and will get help for whatever the hell is going on with him.

On another cynical note, it would be very interesting to see how the media would react if Mason actually fulfils his talent elsewhere and another English club buys him... I bet they would do a 360 and talk about he's been rehabilitated etc :rolleyes:

How are they being punished? Maybe life would be difficult if he worked in a factory on minimum wage and now couldn’t get a job but I understand that he’s been paid by the club throughout, and paid very well, so they’re not on the breadline. They’ll still be able to live a life of luxury.
Sure if you say so. Social media trial is what the current society is moving towards without even thinking about the repercussions.

Did anyone here bothered to see what alleged victim wanted? Or is it just scoring brownie point on internet that mattered?

Okay - let’s have a debate.

I think people who have clearly assaulted a woman should not play football for a club I support! Over to you!
the fact that this is apparently an incorrect position to same fans really tells you everything you need to know.

The first sentence there is really the only one relevant to the point being made.
Why? The point being made is the club decision which is clearly about public opinion and not the legal decision.

The club had to launch an investigation, but he did what he did. Only she dropped charges and now they have a baby (we can all speculate why she went back to him but its fairly obvious).

Still guilty and I doubt he should play top level football again for a big team despite his talent
Don't want to get involved in the rest of the matter but relationships are never easy and straightforward. You indicating "its fairly obvious" isn't really reflecting well on you. You just can't know those things, acting as if you do, is problematic, being judgy based on it, is even more problematic.

So you saying his girlfriend, who was in her teens at the time, was photoshopping images of abuse?

The police were not able to run an investigation because she refused to cooperate, no doubt due to pressure from him, or the realization that her lavish lifestyle would be over.

And im sure he would have dumped her, but that would have been a bad look. He needed her, and her baby to project the happy family image.

Wouldn't be surprised if he drops her now.
Same here... You guys have no clue about what really happend, yet you are ready to judge individuals or slam others who do it for a job with way more information than you do. Seems like "you" got your way, the player isn't going to play for us anymore. It feels a bit dodgy that you still feel the need to guess or estimate about motivations and backgrounds.

I wonder how much the 'fan' backlash influenced this decision. Rachel Riley and co? City soon ditched Mendy when he was charged, he was eventually found not guilty which also means his accussers were lying. The CPS dropping the case against Greenwood because they thought they couldn't secure a conviction means to me that their witnesses either couldn't stand up to cross examination or they were got at which seems to be the general perception when this stuff happens. Whatever, Mason would have been torn to bits by away crowds and some United fans, so the best decision is for him to leave, let him and his 'victim' get their lives back on track elsewhere. There is no perfect solution to this one.

Jesus fecking wept

Doesn't mean both have equal value. Losing a key witness kills 95% of your case. Whatever the "new material" is, it may not matter much or enough to sway someone's opinion. But added to the previous, more important loss of a witness it makes it worse.
Then they wouldn't have bothered mentioning it

Out of context right guys?

F4D4YfXWsAAk3Aw
I'd like to refer to you Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard, sometime transcripts of only partial video clips are VERY misleading as are photos. This is why things should NEVER be made public until investigations criminal or otherwise are completed in full.

If there's other evidence that proves he's not guilty of what he was accused of, why would he/the girl/her family/the club/anyone not just come out and say what it is and try to explain the situation? Glad he's gone btw.
That's where I'm too. I know it could be sensitive stuff that they don't want to talk about, it could implicate someone else etc..I understand. But not doing it makes it impossible to clear Greenwood's name and the club should've come out with a decision long ago.

They shouldn't have made implications of his innocence or any of that - just a short statement that he's released and that's it. But we're talking about a Glazers run club. Indecisiveness and pure incompetence are their bread and butter.

We are under the Glazers' curse.

As someone said the only people who know exactly what happened or has happened previously are the two people involved. If they do not say in public then we are all in the dark.

Greenwood has said in public today he did not do those things

Why? The point being made is the club decision which is clearly about public opinion and not the legal decision.

Actually the point being made when you quoted me was what mistakes Greenwood was himself taking responsibility for in the statements we have seen.

I don’t know why you have to say that. We don’t even know what the hell happened. On the balance of speculation he might have behaved idiotically at times but, quite possibly, it is not as bad as it’s been made out. A large contingent on here have been acting judge, jury and executioner without any of the facts.

It should also be remembered that he’s barely more than a child. Loads of people do stupid stuff when they are young but sometimes there is no serious harm done and those young, foolish people grow up and become good, caring and honest people.
I’m going to probably get a word after this but it needs saying, I’ve done daft things before, as have a lot people as you say.
But I don’t know a single person in my family, circle of friends, or anyone ive crossed paths with that has video evidence against them of these accusations.
Let’s be clear, if he was innocent he’d be playing for Man Utd simple as

What we do know and the important part is that he won't continue putting on the United's jersey.

Whether we will receive a fee for him is another matter and not really fully dependent on United.

If you mean whether the statement in regards to whether or not United take a side in the charges - then yes, that part is conflicting and the PR team have done a poor job once again putting the whole message through.

I mean its all confusing.

It doesnt tell us whats going to happen, just that he's going to continue his career somewhere else which was always going to be the case. He was either going to be hidden elsewhere on loan hoping it would blow over in a year or two, or he was going to be sold.

It says based on the evidence he didnt do what he was charged with, which is obviously suggesting he's innocent and taking that side of things. But then also being weak in that stance and sending him away

Disappointed but with the media reacting the way they have we had absolutely no choice. Now the club needs to do the right thing and find a replacement, we need fecking goals in this team.

The club have done him no favours in their handling of the situation either.

This imaginary internal investigation thats taken months then out of nowhere they hint hes coming back, was never going to impress anyone.

They could have organised an interview with him and his new wife, he could have done work with charities that deal with domestic abuse, they then could have loaned him out to ease him back in etc.

The whole thing has been a mess.
Said this in the other thread.

Biggest mistake was being indecisive & not setting the narrative. The way Crafton/The Athletic posed the story there was only ever one outcome.

I'm curious about what this endtails

We all heard what was originally online, so, what possibly could have recontextualised that into a more complete picture?

The context here is that Greenwood was suspended by United for 18 months and had his career derailed because of an "alleged" crime that he never ended up being charged for. The language about the club believing he's guilty is probably there to cover the club in case Greenwood decides to file some kind of constructive dismissal or libel suit, which he'd have had a very strong case for if the statement said something like "we're releasing him because he beat and raped his girlfriend."

There never was such a thing. Because that has always been a rule for media and legal institutions. Private people never had and don’t have to give a shit about it. We are entitled to our opinions. Get over it.
It’s the same reason why I can say that OJ Simpson is guilty.

You can't slander someone who hasn't been successfully charged with whatever you claim he/she has done. I'm sorry but the world doesn't work that way.

Yet you're accusing someone of making false accusations, which is a crime. To be fair this doesn't contradict what you're saying, because the person you're accusing is not a man. I think if we want to fully capture what you meant, you should elaborate:

" I can't understand how this is even a debate, if a man is not charged with a crime and convicted of said crime, it is not our job to make up our own opinion on that matter. If it's a woman it's our job, though."

Better, don't you think?

Fair enough! Concluding that her allegations are false, is also not right. But we can make an assumption based on the fact that the evidence we have seen is deemed conclusive by so many people, yet the police have decided it is not enough to convict. Which means either the audio and the images are false and construed, or they are simply not conclusive enough to make a conviction. Which of these you find more plausible is ofcourse up to you.

I am so fecking proud of our club! There are things greater than money.

This is where you fail to realise how the legal system actually works. IF there was evidence to prosecute, the police do not care if the victim has made a U-turn, they can press charges regardless. Which they did not do, which means there was not enough evidence to be certain that Mason Greenwood had commited a crime.

Without her co-operation, there wasn't enough to charge. Even less so, if she changes her story under pressure from the accused and/or a decision from her to patch thing up. They were court ordered not to meet, yet were seen doing so.

I have a feeling whoever has have been asked to put something together that doesn't contradict the decision to bring him back. It becomes quite apparent the whole aim was to bring him back and paint it all as "we don't know the whole story". It aligns very much with that.

Yeah, I added something that goes in that direction. The statement makes sense if they are trying to justify their initial leaked decision. But it would have been better to simply not mention it.

I'd like to refer to you Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard, sometime transcripts of only partial video clips are VERY misleading as are photos. This is why things should NEVER be made public until investigations criminal or otherwise are completed in full.

There's a reason Johnny was given his career back.

None of the transcripts in the Depp vs Heard case are anywhere near this.

Status
Not open for further replies.