Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

Always envy how quick Liverpool get their deals done. There's almost never any fuss there.

Identify a player, strike a deal and done. So efficient.

We can't sign a midfielder because we simply don't have space for another one.

Sadly we can't offload Casemiro, Eriksen or any of the other dead weight. Playing hardball on McTominay may get us a little bit more money but by then it might be too late. Even the likes of Pellestri, Hannibal and Sancho are still hanging around despite clearly being surplus to requirements.

Zubimendi is a good signing though. We really should have tried harder to get him.

Inability to sell our deadwoods and generate funds.
Which of the midfielders we're being linked to this summer are known for being strong passers? The MO is a technically limited DM.

Always envy how quick Liverpool get their deals done. There's almost never any fuss there.

You keep track of Liverpool dealings?
I mean it looks like that from the outside. I'm sure it didnt happen over night, no transfer does.

Ah yes, if Zubimendi went to any other club nobody would notice but since he's going to Liverpool we'll see mass crying here over the fact we didnt get him instead of them.

Looks a good player but not a great one.

Nothing to get too upset about here

Ah yes, if Zubimendi went to any other club nobody would notice but since he's going to Liverpool we'll see mass crying here over the fact we didnt get him instead of them.

No he is a good player, who we should of been trying for
instead of chasing Ugarte all summer a player I rate, but why waste a summer when PSG won’t drop their asking price. I can’t stand Liverpool and their fans but have to respect the way they do business its levels above us right now. We are still 4 signings short and its August.

You keep track of Liverpool dealings?
I mean it looks like that from the outside. I'm sure it didnt happen over night, no transfer does.
I mean, I only really follow the big guns, Orny and Fab and from what they've been reporting in the past few years Liverpool barely get dragged into unecessary dragged out transfer sagas. Obviously there are a few, but not as many as we do. Almost every signing for us has some drama involved.

Hoping that changes with the new regime, it will take some time to clear the mess the previous one left them with.

As for the player, not fussed that we didn't go for him. Not the 6 we need.

I don't think he's half the player people have decided he is over the last month, but it would be a tad annoying to see Liverpool sign him or basically a actual midfielder.

We played hardball for a nothing player and we are now stuck with him whilst not able to bring in players who could be useful. Even Liverpool or the Abu media couldn't script this self sabotage play for us.
Two years in a row we have done that for mct now. Pretty dim really

The clamour for zubimendi is surely a lot to do with the uninspiring nature of the midfielders we are being linked with

Eth wanted de jong and couldn't get. He was given a totally different profile player in casemiro but of course he doesn't want a mf who knows how to pass the ball.
And after not being able to get Frenkie de Jong, Hag made a vow before the Old Gods to never sign a central midfielder whose key strengths are passing the ball ever again.

We will regret this big time. Like how we regretted not going for Fabinho.

New owners, same old story.

I mean, I only really follow the big guns, Orny and Fab and from what they've been reporting in the past few years Liverpool barely get dragged into unecessary dragged out transfer sagas. Obviously there are a few, but not as many as we do. Almost every signing for us has some drama involved.

Hoping that changes with the new regime, it will take some time to clear the mess the previous one left them with.

As for the player, not fussed that we didn't go for him. Not the 6 we need.
There's no drama, it's just what we can and cannot pay.
You're talking about Liverpool who is yet to sign a single player this window.
And for instance they were dragged in VVD transfer saga before they eventually signed him.

And after not being able to get Frenkie de Jong, Hag made a vow before the Old Gods to never sign a central midfielder whose key strengths are passing the ball ever again.
Saying Zubimendi is too lightweight for our DM is pure cope too. Zubimendi--Mainoo can work just fine. You dont need a brute in midfield if your players are technically sound, and you dont play suicide tactics like Ten Hag last season.

Spending 60M on a midfielder who is a backup to our only player who always plays and never gets injured, is a sackable offence. It really is.

Now we are apparently so skint that we cant afford a DM now.

Nah, he's really average. He'll fit in with Slot's football but never add quality to it. Might be found wanting under the pressure of the top of the PL.

I just want to repeat for those in the back that he has a statistically worse pass completion % than Ugarte, 86% vs 91%. And that's with a lower volume of passes per game too, 53 vs 61.

I bet most people havent ever seen him play other than in Euros but since Liverpool are in for him he's the next best thing since sliced bread.

No he is a good player, who we should of been trying for
instead of chasing Ugarte all summer a player I rate, but why waste a summer when PSG won’t drop their asking price. I can’t stand Liverpool and their fans but have to respect the way they do business its levels above us right now. We are still 4 signings short and its August.
What are his best qualities?

And as I said in previous post Liverpool is yet to make a single transfer.

Eth wanted de jong and couldn't get. He was given a totally different profile player in casemiro but of course he doesn't want a mf who knows how to pass the ball.
De Jong would have been a bad signing too

The worry for most United fans is, at this stage, Liverpool is a better managed club, have brought well for the past decade possibly and have few duds. We are the exact opposite. So if they are interested in him, fans freak out and expect United to jump in like they did with Yoro.

Most of us wouldn't even have seen him play and just base this off who Liverpool are buying. I haven't even heard of him.

Hopefully he turns out to be a dud or Liverpool do not manage to get him :smirk:

Nah, he's really average. He'll fit in with Slot's football but never add quality to it. Might be found wanting under the pressure of the top of the PL.

I just want to repeat for those in the back that he has a statistically worse pass completion % than Ugarte, 86% vs 91%. And that's with a lower volume of passes per game too, 53 vs 61.
Not a fan of his but you've also got to take into account that Zub plays way more forward passes in a stronger league for a weaker team..

Why do you think that?
Players of this profile(#6 who can defend well, and technically sure, basically Carrick-esque), dont come around too often. Fabinho, Matic, Rodri...they are not too many of this profiles around. Even though Zubimendi is not elite, players of this profile usually peak during 26-30 anyway.

And before somebody says Ten Hag wants a brute ballwinner, we cant cater to Ten Hag's every whim. We have a DOF in place. A Carrick-esque player is exactly what we need to partner Mainoo and Bruno/Mount.

Players of this profile(#6 who can defend well, and technically sure, basically Carrick-esque), dont come around too often. Fabinho, Matic, Rodri...they are not too many of this profiles around. Even though Zubimendi is not elite, players of this profile usually peak during 26-30 anyway.

And before somebody says Ten Hag wants a brute ballwinner, we cant cater to Ten Hag's every whim. We have a DOF in place. A Carrick-esque player is exactly what we need to partner Mainoo and Bruno/Mount.
So we should get him just cause he's a number 6?
I thought someone could say what kind of a player he is exactly?
I'm not sure about ETH wanting a brute ballwinner too.

Take into account playing in La Liga vs the farmer's league.

Also consider the fact that Zubimendi is a much more progressive passer than Ugarte, while Ugarte is a more safe passer.

Pretty simple: Technically excellent DM that can play as a lone 6.

Also funny you say "clearly a good player" and then don't understand why United fans want him when we are about to roll into the season with only 1 DM who was washed up over a year ago. Getting good players is a smart transfer strategy, not every player has to be potentially world class for it to be a good move. Our midfield options are a joke as it stands.
But he can't play as a lone DM in the way we set up, he'd be found out massively.

In the same way Jorginho is clearly a good player, but I don't think we need him - unless we bought a player like Rice too. If we're spending close to £50m+ on them, they should be potentially world class. Spending a lot on Zubimendi would still require us to spend more in midfield, it's why we're not spending £50m on Ugarte, as you'd clearly need to supplement him.

So we should get him just cause he's a number 6?
I thought someone could say what kind of a player he is exactly?
I'm not sure about ETH wanting a brute ballwinner too.
No, Ugarte is also a 6. I'm talking about profiles here, not positions.

We will regret this big time. Like how we regretted not going for Fabinho.

New owners, same old story.
To be honest, and I couldn’t be wrong, but he doesn’t look that good - to be a player we regret missing out big time. He looks competent but nothing great to me. My concern is more becuase he’s more the kind of midfielder that I want us to start adding and that we have long ignored. Based on the clips I’ve seen, he doesn’t look anything special.

Isn’t Ugarte more of a safe sideways type of passer?
Think these stats mostly highlights their different styles and roles in their respective team. Not so much their actual quality on the ball. Eyetest surely says that Zubimendi is better on the ball and in possession despite worse numbers?

But he can't play as a lone DM in the way we set up, he'd be found out massively.
Wait, werent you advocating playing FdJ as the lone DM yesterday? He's even worse than Zubimendi defensively.

BTW, nobody can play as the lone DM the way we set up, even prime Keano will struggle in our system. The problem is the system, not the players.

Zubimendi is a well rounded #6, for a bit more than 50M, we should be going in for him(pay a bit more than release clause to structure the deal better rather than lumpsum).

I bet most people havent ever seen him play other than in Euros but since Liverpool are in for him he's the next best thing since sliced bread.
I didn't even notice that he replaced Rodri in the Euros final at HT. Not sure whether that was because I was too drunk at that point or because he is indeed Gen Z's version of Rodri, but I'm going to go with the latter.

Are you joking me?

Liverpool have been scrambling for two months. There is a real sense of desperation among their fans. Liverpool didn't get the manager they wanted this summer. And they haven't got any of the players they've wanted-including our very own Leny Yoro who we stole from under them and Real Madrid.

Liverpool aren't just the only club in the Premier League who haven't signed any players yet. They are the only club in all of Europe's top five leagues who haven't signed anybody yet.

"I envy how quick Liverpool get their deals done" :lol:

I didn't even notice that he replaced Rodri in the Euros final at HT. Not sure whether that was because I was too drunk at that point or because he is indeed Gen Z's version of Rodri, but I'm going to go with the latter.
:lol:

Might be both. That proved how well oiled machine Spain is. I mean, I'm not saying Zubimendi is a bad player, on the contrary, but most people never saw him in action or very little yet think we're missing out big time.

He is a very good player and perfect for you at the base of the midfield with MacAllister and Szobo on either side. He is a very neat and tiddy #6 with a good passing range and calmness on the ball that good players possess.

The reports earlier when Arsenal were interested suggested that the player didn't want to leave Spain. Seems like things have a changes and he is not averse to joining you guys.

Looks a good player but not a great one.

Nothing to get too upset about here

He's better than every single midfielder we have bar Mainoo (discounting Bruno cos he plays further up).

So the upset is - other clubs are progressively improving. Right now, in midfield we arent