Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

Zubimendi was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Ugarte but if his release clause is £51m he's the same price. We weren't interested in paying that much for Ugarte, so why woukd we pay it for Zubimendi?
We're not.

The release clause needs to be paid in full under Spanish law. We can't afford to pay for anyone in full this summer hence why we negotiated with Bologna to pay slightly more than zirkzee's release fee so we could pay in installments.

That's not the reason. We can afford it. It’s just that amortizing the paid fee over multiple years is better for PSR and allows us to spend more this summer. That's why it made more sense not to pay the release clause for Zirkzee.

Zubimendi was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Ugarte but if his release clause is £51m he's the same price. We weren't interested in paying that much for Ugarte, so why woukd we pay it for Zubimendi?

Because he's much better

That's not the reason. We can afford it. It’s just that amortizing the paid fee over multiple years is better for PSR and allows us to spend more this summer. That's why it made more sense not to pay the release clause for Zirkzee.
Joshua Zirkzee has completed his move from Bologna to Manchester United.

The fee is understood to be £36.5m (€42.5m), slightly above his £34.4m (€40m) release clause, but it is in exchange for more favourable payment terms.

It means United will pay for the Netherlands international over three years.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...m-signing-of-netherlands-striker-from-bologna

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/ce4q7wngj4no

Manchester United are close to completing a £33.7m deal to sign Dutch striker Joshua Zirkzee from Bologna.

United sources say the club are set to pay a slight premium on the £33.67m release clause in order to secure an extended payment period for the 23-year-old.

The Premier League club are determined to comply with Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) regards loss limits and accept their present situation is tight and will require discipline in their transfer dealings

Regardless we cannot afford to pay zubimendi release clause in full as it has to be done under Spanish law.

Does activating release clauses work differently for PSR? Because based on my understanding of PSR/FFP, they’re both based on accounting type principles (accrual, amortization etc) and not on the actual cash flow.

Joshua Zirkzee has completed his move from Bologna to Manchester United.

The fee is understood to be £36.5m (€42.5m), slightly above his £34.4m (€40m) release clause, but it is in exchange for more favourable payment terms.

It means United will pay for the Netherlands international over three years.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...m-signing-of-netherlands-striker-from-bologna

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/ce4q7wngj4no

Manchester United are close to completing a £33.7m deal to sign Dutch striker Joshua Zirkzee from Bologna.

United sources say the club are set to pay a slight premium on the £33.67m release clause in order to secure an extended payment period for the 23-year-old.

The Premier League club are determined to comply with Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) regards loss limits and accept their present situation is tight and will require discipline in their transfer dealings

Regardless we cannot afford to pay zubimendi release clause in full as it has to be done under Spanish law.

This doesn't really disprove what I said.

In fact, I said the same thing.

We have the funds available, but paying the release clause in full for Zirkzee now would've meant a 34 million loss on our books for the current PSR financial year. This would heavily limit our ability to spend a lot of money this summer because of the PSR rules. Paying 35.8m instead, so just 1.8m more, but amortized over the next 5 years, is only going to show up on our books as a 7.16m yearly loss in each of the next 5 financial years, meaning that we avoid handicapping ourselves for this summer and we're basically allowed to spend more money. It's not that the money isn't there, it's that teams cannot spend as much as they have, they can spend as much as the financial rules allow them to.

Does activating release clauses work differently for PSR? Because based on my understanding of PSR/FFP, they’re both based on accounting type principles (accrual, amortization etc) and not on the actual cash flow.

I think this answers your question too...unless I misunderstood the rules and talking nonsense

Zubi isn’t the guy for us. The physical side of his game is too lacking. I would not want to sign him because I don’t think he’s the perfect player for us, yet he’s good enough and young enough that we would be reluctant to move for anyone else going forward because we have Zubimendi.

I want us to either get a Wharton, Frenkie or perhaps Varela - or an Amrabat or Berge to kick the can down the road to when we can get a real Rolls Royce in there.

We should get him instead of Ugarte, who would be younger version of Casemiro in UTD shirt. Aka chasing shadows all over the pitch and geting carded every game.

This doesn't really disprove what I said.

In fact, I said the same thing.

We have the funds available, but paying the release clause in full for Zirkzee now would've meant a 34 million loss on our books for the current PSR financial year. This would heavily limit our ability to spend a lot of money this summer because of the PSR rules. Paying 35.8m instead, so just 1.8m more, but amortized over the next 5 years, is only going to show up on our books as a 7.16m yearly loss in each of the next 5 financial years, meaning that we avoid handicapping ourselves for this summer and we're basically allowed to spend more money. It's not that the money isn't there, it's that teams cannot spend as much as they have, they can spend as much as the financial rules allow them to.

I think this answers your question too...unless I misunderstood the rules and talking nonsense
Hey rojofiam, tried to DM you on here but I'm not allowed. No idea why.

We know three blokes that can help with that

You have to pay the full release clause to a bank. This isn’t book manipulation.

We don’t have that type of free cash to spend on players. Except for Man City I don’t believe most clubs do.

I can’t see the release clause being met by any club in this window unless it’s their only signing.

You have to pay the full release clause to a bank. This isn’t book manipulation.

We don’t have that type of free cash to spend on players. Except for Man City I don’t believe most clubs do.

I can’t see the release clause being met by any club in this window unless it’s their only signing.
It’s a reference to when three random blokes turned up at Athletic Bilbao pretending to be from United to buy Herrera. The season before we actually did.

So Liverpool will try to negotiate or just pay the clause.

Might as well lock this

Of course. Whilst we're mucking around looking at physical bonehead players, Liverpool swoop in for another classy technical press resistant midfielder. They already got Mac Allister for peanuts and Endo was decently efficient.

Of course. Whilst we're mucking around looking at physical bonehead players, Liverpool swoop in for another classy technical press resistant midfielder. They already got Mac Allister for peanuts and Endo was decently efficient.

United don't have the money for Zubimendi. Excellent player and the closest thing out there to a Carrick clone, but the release clause would need to be paid in a single lump sum, which just isn't viable for United.

If we sold McTominay, it would help, but even then, we'd probably still need to negotiate a deal with Sociedad for preferable payment terms. It's not happening.

I'm not sure he's the type of anchor we should be targeting to be honest. We need someone who can cover a lot of ground and is amazing in his defensive duels. Is this guy that type of player? Not sure from what I've seen. Much more suited to Liverpool, who are much better in possession to us.

I'm not sure he's the type of anchor we should be targeting to be honest. We need someone who can cover a lot of ground and is amazing in his defensive duels. Is this guy that type of player? Not sure from what I've seen. Much more suited to Liverpool, who are much better in possession to us.
Agreed

Garnacho - Bruno - Amad
Zubimendi - Mainoo

Something like this +- Rashford is frighteningly lightweight.

He’d be a nice midfielder to have but we need someone in before a player of his type.

Our allergy to signing CM’s of quality continues.

Who knows maybe we swoop in too?
We won’t because we aren’t in a position to be a serious club yet because we have too many jokers we can’t get rid of and they have zero ambition to leave. Immensely frustrating to waste yet another season.

I'm very surprised to see him leaning towards accepting Liverpool. Would've been a good signing for us as well IMO, but like I said, not someone I'll be gutted about that he's heading there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us enter the pursuit for him at this point. Maybe Arsenal too. Seems like he's changed his mind about his future, as I find it hard to believe that he turned down approaches from Arsenal, United, potentially one of the big Spanish clubs too, just for him to say yes to Liverpool over them.

EDIT: If Liverpool pay his RC in full that might well be them done and dusted for the summer, right? If the deal doesn't get amortized over several years, isn't it gonna be a huge hit on their books for the current financial year?

Agreed

Garnacho - Bruno - Amad
Zubimendi - Mainoo

Something like this +- Rashford is frighteningly lightweight.

He’d be a nice midfielder to have but we need someone in before a player of his type.
I mean, it's actually pretty obvious but it won't stop people throwing a tantrum that Liverpool are set to sign him.

We are a high risk transition team that will leave a lot of space in the midfield, we need someone industrious. We won't dominate possession in most games, it's not the team we are. I've also seen nothing from our summer business to suggest we are aiming to shift to a possession team.

Not true. Fee is amortized over the length of the contract. It does not matter how you pay the fee. We have a cash flow problem, we cannot afford paying 51 mil for him