Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

Not true. Fee is amortized over the length of the contract. It does not matter how you pay the fee. We have a cash flow problem, we cannot afford paying 51 mil for him

I don't understand the first 3 sentences.

If Liverpool or another club pays the release clause in full now, isn't that going to be a 51m hit on their books for the current financial year? With Sociedad receiving 51m up front instead of five ~10m payments over 5 years?

Of course. Whilst we're mucking around looking at physical bonehead players, Liverpool swoop in for another classy technical press resistant midfielder. They already got Mac Allister for peanuts and Endo was decently efficient.
That's Szoboszlai, Endo, Mac Allister, Gravenberch and Zubimendi all within the last 12 months for them while we're getting ready for another season of inevitably having to rely on the likes of McTominay and Eriksen for large swathes of the season :lol: :(

Agreed

Garnacho - Bruno - Amad
Zubimendi - Mainoo

Something like this +- Rashford is frighteningly lightweight.

He’d be a nice midfielder to have but we need someone in before a player of his type.
Ye we need Ugarte + this guy. Would be nice to have a proper DM aswell as someone who can pass a ball and control the midfield.

So anyone here actually watched him play for Real Sociedad last year or is everyone losing their shit because:

1. He's Spanish
  2. Had a good 45mins playing for a dominant Spain team against an England team who where ultra defensive?

I haven't watched him play or Berge either but looking at the stats there doesn't appear to be an awful lot between them. So can anyone who watched Zubimendi play extensively explain how he is better and worth €60m and if any of the stats are misleading?

FBref Comparison(fbref actually suggested Berge as one of the players who is similar to Zubimendi so I didn't even have to go out of my way to compare them) : https://fbref.com/tiny/gPDre

Passing​

TotalShortMediumLongExpected
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sCmpAttCmp%TotDistPrgDistCmpAttCmp%CmpAttCmp%CmpAttCmp%AstxAGxAA-xAGKP1/3PPACrsPAPrgP
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.51321154285.722165626960767789.760767789.78612668.311.52.0-0.516136151152
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.41376156288.124429516856863789.265871192.512515481.222.41.6-0.429129161164

Pass Types​

Pass TypesCorner KicksOutcomes
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sAttLiveDeadFKTBSwCrsTICKInOutStrCmpOffBlocks
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5154214736259447200001321713
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.415621529312171012100001376214

Goal and Shot Creation​

SCASCA TypesGCAGCA Types
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sSCASCA90PassLivePassDeadTOShFldDefGCAGCA90PassLivePassDeadTOShFldDef
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5551.87470340140.14400000
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.4672.01630301080.24701000

Defensive Actions​

TacklesChallengesBlocks
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTklTklWDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdTklAttTkl%LostBlocksShPassIntTkl+IntClrErr
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.5492718292234254.819339243786540
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.4764635365345858.6244920292399602

Possession​

TouchesTake-OnsCarriesReceiving
PlayerSpanNationPosSquad90sTouchesDef PenDef 3rdMid 3rdAtt 3rdAtt PenLiveAttSuccSucc%TkldTkld%CarriesTotDistPrgDistPrgC1/3CPAMisDisRecPrgR
Martín Zubimendi2023-24es ESPMFReal Sociedad29.51793913971144267321793181266.7527.894253052671344152616118527
Sander Berge2023-24no NORMFBurnley33.41887133494997414411887412048.81639.0107664193091645792323123329

If Liverpool or another club pays the release clause in full now, isn't that going to be a 51m hit on their books for the current financial year? With Sociedad receiving 51m up front instead of five ~10m payments over 5 years?
The short answer is "no", because for PSR we account for the fees over the length of the contract, the actual cash flow doesn't matter.

This ain’t done yet despite what’s being reported. Liverpool fans have know far too well the pissing about, low-balling lark from FSG is yet to come, annoying officials at Sociedad and Zubimendi in the process and allowing others to join the race. Then we’ll have the usual letdown journos like Joyce and Pearce with the articles “Liverpool considered and appreciated Zubimendi however they felt that blah blah..”

Posters having a meltdown in here is hilarious :lol: we simply, more than likely, don't have the up front cash to get him, it's just something all of ye are going to have to accept this summer until (or if) we sell the players we need to sell.

If Liverpool pay 51 mil this years and offer the player a 5 year deal they will spread the cost over the length of the contract. So this year they will report the cost of 10 mil, next year 10 mil and so on. However, their cash expense will have a different structure: 51 mil in year one, 0 mil in year 2 and so on.

Posters having a meltdown in here is hilarious :lol: we simply, more than likely, don't have the up front cash to get him, it's just something all of ye are going to have to accept this summer until (or if) we sell the players we need to sell.

Not only this summer. It seems we will have to accept a loss of any residual value of a number of players who refuse to get sold. This may impact our ability to buy players for years to come

I honestly don't get the clamour for him. Clearly a good player, but I don't think we're losing out on an unbelievable talent and I'm not sure he'll make the transition to the prem that well.

Not only this summer. It seems we will have to accept a loss of any residual value of a number of players who refuse to get sold. This may impact our ability to buy players for years to come
Yep possibly, but I just think it's pointless having meltdowns over it. Nothing we can do unfortunately.

Ye we need Ugarte + this guy. Would be nice to have a proper DM aswell as someone who can pass a ball and control the midfield.
We can’t have both. Plus if we by some miracle we do get both won’t that stop Mainoo progression in the team?

We are skint plus we do have other part of the pitch we need reinforcements CD LB

We really got the only Dutch manager who doesn't value signing a midfielder who knows how to pass a football

We really got the only Dutch manager who doesn't value signing a midfielder who knows how to pass a football
Eth wanted de jong and couldn't get. He was given a totally different profile player in casemiro but of course he doesn't want a mf who knows how to pass the ball.

That's Szoboszlai, Endo, Mac Allister, Gravenberch and Zubimendi all within the last 12 months for them while we're getting ready for another season of inevitably having to rely on the likes of McTominay and Eriksen for large swathes of the season :lol: :(

Every squad is different.

These Liverpool signings you mentioned wouldn't massively help our team anyway, other than Zubimendi, and they're nothing to be gutted over. We didn't lose anything by not signing them.

Funny that you mention Endo as well, a cheap stop-gap, only brought in to raise the floor level of the team for the short term. Someone like Berge would be the exact same type of deal, the player 90% of RedCafe are sure we shouldn't go near of.

The short answer is "no", because for PSR we account for the fees over the length of the contract, the actual cash flow doesn't matter.
If Liverpool pay 51 mil this years and offer the player a 5 year deal they will spread the cost over the length of the contract. So this year they will report the cost of 10 mil, next year 10 mil and so on. However, their cash expense will have a different structure: 51 mil in year one, 0 mil in year 2 and so on.

Thank you!

...but then why did we structure the Zirkzee deal the way we did? Only because of the cash flow?

We can’t have both. Plus if we by some miracle we do get both won’t that stop Mainoo progression in the team?

We are skint plus we do have other part of the pitch we need reinforcements CD LB
Agreed we can’t get both. Disagree that it will stop Mainoo progressing. Mainoo aslong as he keeps performing to his best and keeping up the standard then he’s the first name on the team sheet, the other 2 will be fighting to play alongside him. The more depth we have the better. Healthy competition makes other players up their game.

Eth wanted de jong and couldn't get. He was given a totally different profile player in casemiro but of course he doesn't want a mf who knows how to pass the ball.
And what’s stopping him now?

I think there's
Thank you!

...but then why did we structure the Zirkzee deal the way we did? Only because of the cash flow?

I think there's a common confusion between what we are allowed to do under FFP/PSR and what cash on hand we actually have.

Everything from this summer and reports is that we don't have 50m£ on hand to spend upfront.

Should have gone after him weeks ago (after accepting Fulham's first offer for McT). In a year, everyone will be moaning why we didn't sign him. He is a class player and will become a key player to Liverpool.

Agreed we can’t get both. Disagree that it will stop Mainoo progressing. Mainoo aslong as he keeps performing to his best and keeping up the standard then he’s the first name on the team sheet, the other 2 will be fighting to play alongside him. The more depth we have the better. Healthy competition makes other players up their game.
2 for 1 spot for competition but 3 would be pushing it with the rebuild

Don't worry Mount is back

I honestly don't get the clamour for him. Clearly a good player, but I don't think we're losing out on an unbelievable talent and I'm not sure he'll make the transition to the prem that well.
He’s not but we don’t have midfielders who can keep the ball well are linked mostly with limited / box to box types. Typical of us really.

Only because he is joining a rival, wouldn't bother me one bit if he was going to Barcelona

The issue is the money not Mainoo. A good team needs at least three good CMs for two slots. We need a passer and a defensive engine.

Pretty simple: Technically excellent DM that can play as a lone 6.

Also funny you say "clearly a good player" and then don't understand why United fans want him when we are about to roll into the season with only 1 DM who was washed up over a year ago. Getting good players is a smart transfer strategy, not every player has to be potentially world class for it to be a good move. Our midfield options are a joke as it stands.

Pretty simple: Technically excellent DM that can play as a lone 6.

Also funny you say "clearly a good player" and then don't understand why United fans want him when we are about to roll into the season with only 1 DM who was washed up over a year ago. Getting good players is a smart transfer strategy, not every player has to be potentially world class for it to be a good move. Our midfield options are a joke as it stands.

Harder to hijack scousers than Milan, then again perhaps we have no interest in his profile anyway

Why don't they just call it average annual value? No matter the structure of the deal, the average annual value is what will be reported for financial regulations so as to limit any regulation skirting.

Should have gone after him weeks ago (after accepting Fulham's first offer for McT). In a year, everyone will be moaning why we didn't sign him. He is a class player and will become a key player to Liverpool.
We played hardball for a nothing player and we are now stuck with him whilst not able to bring in players who could be useful. Even Liverpool or the Abu media couldn't script this self sabotage play for us.

We played hardball for a nothing player and we are now stuck with him whilst not able to bring in players who could be useful. Even Liverpool or the Abu media couldn't script this self sabotage play for us.

I don't think he was ever signing for us. He seems happy at Sociedad and starting the prime of his career and we're not in the CL and haven't won the league since Ferguson. I imagine he had a fairly short list and we weren't on it. It's possible even Arsenal and Barcelona weren't, so I don't see why we would be at this point in time.

From what I've seen, he's a really quality #6 - on the ball especially - but not particularly strong or quick, so he could in theory struggle without the right system/players around him, but odds are against it.

Maybe Liverpool won't be able to play Mac Allister, Zubimendi and a less physical #10 type (Szoboszlai or Elliot) together in certain big games, but Curtis Jones would probably fit that group okay as a 3rd man and Bajetic seems promising as an all-around type.

I'm more angry we've missed out on someone like Wharton who likely would have been hungry to join us and was available for 20M.