Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

It's £50m straight up if you pay the release clause though. Any fee for Berge could be split over multiple years and include other add ons as part of overall fee.

I'm not disagreeing that the 50m is better value than £30m for Berge, just pointing out that this is something that club has to consider. Liverpool haven't signed anyone yet, not sure they intend to spend big anywhere, so they can just go feck it and pay the release.
We can pay 52M, and structure it however we want. We did something similar to Zirkzee.

Having been to San Sebastian for the first time a couple months ago, I cannot stress how much of a draw that city must be to a highly paid professional footballer. Probably the nicest city I've been to in Spain.

I think he'll move to Liverpool, but living standards will only come down to a mansion in the Cheshire countryside and distance to an airport to travel somewhere actually nice vs living in a beautiful and prosperous part of Spain.

We can pay 52M, and structure it however we want. We did something similar to Zirkzee.
That's true, but there's every reason RS could ask for £60m or more in order to do that.

£35m is already a lot less than £50m. The only reason that worked with Bologna was because they knew we'd just pay the release clause if they asked for lots more, so they took the small extra anyway. It was also a lot earlier in window, La Liga starts next week.

RS don't want to sell and know we can't afford to pay £50m straight up. They'll make Liverpool pay it, or pay a premium to structure it differently.

Having been to San Sebastian for the first time a couple months ago, I cannot stress how much of a draw that city must be to a highly paid professional footballer. Probably the nicest city I've been to in Spain.

I think he'll move to Liverpool, but living standards will only come down to a mansion in the Cheshire countryside and distance to an airport to travel somewhere actually nice vs living in a beautiful and prosperous part of Spain.
I am sure he'll cope fine with the dough he will make for the next 5 years or so. Will still have the rest of his life to enjoy in San Sebastian with a more than healthy bank balance.

I am sure he'll cope fine with the dough he will make for the next 5 years or so. Will still have the rest of his life to enjoy in San Sebastian with a more than healthy bank balance.

Yeah totally, which is why I think he will go to Liverpool. But honestly five minutes walking around San Sebastian and you want to move there. It's such a nice city.

Also he's making good money now at San Sebastian (around €3m per year) - he could easily just be like feck Liverpool and its boarded up streets and scousers, I'm staying here.

Yeah totally, which is why I think he will go to Liverpool. But honestly five minutes walking around San Sebastian and you want to move there. It's such a nice city.

Also he's making good money now at San Sebastian (around €3m per year) - he could easily just be like feck Liverpool and its boarded up streets and scousers, I'm staying here.
Yeah, but I think the money would be too good to turn down. He'd be making 2-2.5 times of what he is making today. A 4 or 5 year stint at a famous club is not bad when you put it in context of an average life of a person.

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest it's more likely he'd be looking to buy a nice mansion in Formby, or near our lot in Alderley Edge, than a Liverpool council estate.

374696881.jpg

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest it's more likely he'd be looking to buy a nice mansion in Formby, or near our lot in Alderley Edge, than a Liverpool council estate.

374696881.jpg
And Lake District right around the corner. Heard he's an avid hiker on his off days.

The poor of San Sebastian only have one yacht each and can only afford to eat caviar once a week.
Obviously it's a lovely place, and it still will be when he retires a much richer man.

374696881.jpg

You pick the one day of the year when the weather isn't garbage.

Zubimemdi isn't going to fall for that British tourist flyer lie.

Seems fishy that he wasn't willing to join a Spanish coach at a London-based team which has continuity compared to previous years, but does want to join Liverpool without Klopp, surrounded with quite a bit more uncertainty at the moment.

I know fans like to go "oh he didn't want to move when it was Arsenal but he cannot refuse a club as big as ours when we come calling" but that's not how players think nowadays, so wonder what might have changed his mind if he actually joins us in the end.

Honestly, I think it's mostly due to timing. Think it was 2 seasons ago we really wanted him, we had just finished 5th, he was only 23 and not ready to move.

Then in the winter of 22/23 despite us being at the top of the league, he was trying to get Sociedad into Champions League and managed it.

Then last summer we went balls deep for Rice, and since then although we've always liked him, I don't think we've ever really been in for him. And you think the fact we are trying to sign his midfield partner instead of him kind of confirms this, although I do wonder if that's because we like him better or because being in the last year of his contract we see that as the better deal.

Like I said, I was very surprised to see him apparently leaning towards accepting Liverpool's offer, as he was wanted by richer, more attractive teams before that are also based in geographically better situated locations than the North of England.

If he stays and keeps doing well at Sociedad, I'm sure those opportunities will arise again, so there's no need to rush this decision IMO. Klopp isn't there anymore, either. That was a bigger draw in favour of Liverpool than their fans want to believe.

Like I said, I was very surprised to see him apparently leaning towards accepting Liverpool's offer, as he was wanted by richer, more attractive teams before that are also based in geographically better situated locations than the North of England.

If he stays and keeps doing well at Sociedad, I'm sure those opportunities will arise again, so there's no need to rush this decision IMO. Klopp isn't there anymore, either. That was a bigger draw in favour of Liverpool than their fans want to believe.
As much as may want to lowball them they're still Liverpool, one of the top two teams in the most popular league in the world and only bested by two clubs in terms of European pedigree.

This sample size is too small to judge.
Liverpool is a great city, but it does also need tonnes of work. I work over there, and there are so many derelict buildings even close by to the city centre. I guess there are some pretty obvious political reasons as to why that’s the case, though.

As much as may want to lowball them they're still Liverpool, one of the top two teams in the most popular league in the world and only bested by two clubs in terms of European pedigree.

I think Liverpool are the least attractive big club around, to be honest. They usually can't compete with their rivals and European big clubs financially (they pay lower wages, and can't spend as much on the market as others either), can't pull big names, and achieved most of their real success in the 1980s and before that, so just before football started becoming a big global phenomenon. This pretty much meant that their popularity had no chance of soaring to the levels of United, for example, who started their most successful era ever just around this time, in the early 1990s. I really don't think most footballers would choose them ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea at this point, and those clubs don't have anywhere near the European pedigree they do, they've just been more successful in the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s.

Right now, they're coming off of their peak in the modern era (2017-2022), and their pull was nowhere near as big as it should've been during those years. Do you think Liverpool could sign all the players United managed to sign when we had no CL football, for example? Players like Di María, Pogba, Ibrahimovic? No shot IMO. The biggest name I can remember them tempting to join them was probably Klopp. And the players? Maybe Thiago?

Last edited:
I think Liverpool are the least attractive big club around, to be honest. They usually can't compete with their rivals and European big clubs financially (they pay lower wages, and can't spend as much on the market as others either), can't pull big names, and achieved most of their real success in the 1980s and before that, so just before football started becoming a big global phenomenon. This pretty much meant that their popularity had no chance of soaring to the levels of United, for example, who started their most successful era ever just around this time, in the early 1990s. I really don't think most footballers would choose them ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea at this point, and those clubs don't have anywhere near the European pedigree they do, they've just been more successful in the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s.

Right now, they're coming off of their peak in the modern era (2017-2022), and their pull was nowhere near as big as it should've been during those years. Do you think Liverpool could sign all the players United managed to sign when we had no CL football, for example? Players like Di María, Pogba, Ibrahimovic? No shot IMO. The biggest name I can remember them tempting to join them was probably Klopp. And the players? Maybe Thiago?
I do agree with some of ypur points Alyson unfortunate they might have a bigger pull than big 3 in Italy (maybe not inter) at the moment but yeah they're at bottom of the packing order somewhat.

And yeah we have a bigger pull but they did land the likes of torres, xabi and Suarez who at the time was a big prospect.

They've had a decently successful last few years so if they do offer a comparable package they should still be able to edge out Chelsea who are a mess at the moment and maybe even arsenal.

I do agree with some of ypur points Alyson unfortunate they might have a bigger pull than big 3 in Italy (maybe not inter) at the moment but yeah they're at bottom of the packing order somewhat.

And yeah we have a bigger pull but they did land the likes of torres, xabi and Suarez who at the time was a big prospect.

They've had a decently successful last few years so if they do offer a comparable package they should still be able to edge out Chelsea who are a mess at the moment and maybe even arsenal.

The three big Italians would be able to compete with anyone on the market, even with Real Madrid and Barcelona, if they weren't poor. That's their only handicap IMO, but it's a big one. I personally miss regularly seeing them in the later stages of the CL and the Serie A being a strong league.

The three big Italians would be able to compete with anyone on the market, even with Real Madrid and Barcelona, if they weren't poor. That's their only handicap IMO, but it's a big one. I personally miss regularly seeing them in the later stages of the CL and the Serie A being a strong league.
Yeah it's a shame, they in fact were the most desirable destination for footballers before the money dried up and Spain took over.

For all talks of pl having the greatest assortment of footballers around it still does look piss poor compared to what italy had back in the 80s and 90s.

Liverpool is a great city, but it does also need tonnes of work. I work over there, and there are so many derelict buildings even close by to the city centre. I guess there are some pretty obvious political reasons as to why that’s the case, though.
I was kinda joking. I’ve been to Liverpool, and I think Spain is going to win this contest handily.

Stating that you can sign the bigger players and then list Di Maria, Pogba and Ibrahimovic - who all delivered nothing to the Old Trafford fair and were clearly only there for the larger pay packets kind of defeats your own argument.

Liverpool don’t seem to focus upon the ‘star names’, preferring to build a team rather than a bunch of individuals.

I personally haven’t seen enough of Zubimendi to comment on his suitability, but it is clear that Liverpool need a strong 6 to free up MacAlister.

Milan giants biggest issue is they don't own the stadium. It limits them a fair bit. Trying to get that resolved (buy it from the council) is far from easy.

Also the marketing and merchandising side of Italian football is way behind how the PL clubs and Spanish giants operate.

Breaking: Zubimendi extends Real Sociedad contract after watching this

City are apparently looking for an understudy for Rodri. No mention of zubimendi but will be interesting to see who they go with. They want to offload Kalvin Phillips first.

City are apparently looking for an understudy for Rodri. No mention of zubimendi but will be interesting to see who they go with. They want to offload Kalvin Phillips first.

Ederson would be a good fit for them. He has a better passing range than Zubimendi and is also more mobile. He'd be expensive, but City won't care about that if they can get their hands on a Fernandinho clone.

Why does everything related to Liverpool have to involve some incredibly emotional tale :lol:

Dated a scouse girl once, blonde bombshell, United fan too. This was in London though. Went to Liverpool a year later and found out she was truly a unicorn because she was peak Fernando Torres compared to the Nunez's and Florent Sinama Pongolles I saw there.
How do the women compare? Asking for a friend.

Dated a scouse girl once, blonde bombshell, United fan too. This was in London though. Went to Liverpool a year later and found out she was truly a unicorn because she was peak Fernando Torres compared to the Nunez's and Florent Sinama Pongolles I saw there.
:lol:

There’s only three years between them. I can see them going for Wharton.

So have they sign him yet? I was told by the Caf that once they identify a target, they’ll swoop in and sign him within two days without fuss