Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

Yeah, we aren't paying any release clauses. We literally paid more to Bologna so we could avoid paying the clause for Zirkzee to be able to spread the payment out. We simply don't have the cash to pay 60 million in one go.
And Liverpool can? Genuine question, no idea about our financials.

Coutinho money mate.
Think that's long gone unfortunately :lol:

Just went to Twitter to have a look at the links, doesn't seem like he wants to even move away from Spain, and we'd indeed need to pay the €60m in full considering Sociedad probably doesn't want to sell him.

Seems like a long shot but got to be something in it if Paul Joyce (and Ornstein) reports it. At the very least it's encouraging that we are in for a player like him because that's what we're lacking most, not that many alternatives available though and the season starts next weekend. We've left it late this season to do some business. I see Liverpool Twitter already creaming themselves over a potential scenario of Bastoni, Gordon and Zubimendi but that's never ever happening.

We need to be in for this. 50M pounds is the same they are asking for Ugarte too however.

He's overrated and overpriced.

Fine if he's more the style of midfielder you want than Ugarte. But Ugarte is an elite example of what he is. Zubimendi is an average example of what he is, considered more because Spanish. I'd take him but not at £50m.

Fine if he's more the style of midfielder you want than Ugarte. But Ugarte is an elite example of what he is. Zubimendi is an average example of what he is, considered more because Spanish. I'd take him but not at £50m.
There are a couple of followers of the French league here stating Ugarte isn't elite.

Well you bid 100m plus for Caceido a year ago so you must have some reserves.
Would've equalled out to £20-25m something per season if paid over the length of his contract, so not exactly the same as £51m cash reserves. I do believe we have something to spare yeah but if we have to pay that amount this summer then it'll jeopardize any other transfer activity as well most likely.

Would've equalled out to £20-25m something per season if paid over the length of his contract, so not exactly the same as £51m cash reserves. I do believe we have something to spare yeah but if we have to pay that amount this summer then it'll jeopardize any other transfer activity as well most likely.
Yeah so that (and I'm sure your upfront transfer budget is more than that), plus the CL qualification boost would make Zudamendi very doable. It's your big money move (ours was Yorro).

On his way to Liverpool most likely. I’d rather Ugarte but I wouldn’t say no to him. He’s Spanish so will most likely be very good at passing and would bring more possession to us.

On his way to Liverpool most likely. I’d rather Ugarte but I wouldn’t say no to him. He’s Spanish so will most likely be very good at passing and would bring more possession to us.
racist.

Most likely?! Based on what? Because a rival has taken an interest?

Ornstein above said it’s a very difficult deal. They need to convince him which no other club has managed & the 60M has to be paid in full.

Far from likely and even less likely for us considering we have not a lot of cash

He's playing in a better league in a far inferior side. Look at him in that Spanish team and see the quality on display. You think it's a coincidence that Arsenal, Liverpool and United have all enquired or tried to get him?

Personally don't want him at Utd but I know there are a few on here who do.

Besides ETH doesn't play the possession based system that Slot does with Liverpool.

Most likely?! Based on what? Because a rival has taken an interest?

Ornstein above said it’s a very difficult deal. They need to convince him which no other club has managed & the 60M has to be paid in full.

Far from likely and even less likely for us considering we have not a lot of cash
Based on them probably being the only one interested in him. And being desperate for finally signing someone.

We’re allergic to passing midfielders, have been since Carrick? Don’t see us going for him and I’m a bit jealous if Liverpool do.

Fabinho all over again.
We are still sucking out thumb and deciding which midfielder we want.
It's moreso we don't have the money to buy a midfielder or anybody else so are trying to sell guys like Casemiro, McTominay, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka and Maguire before we can take the step to buy Mazraoui, De Ligt and Ugarte/Zubimendi or whoever else. But because we're in this state, we might miss players. Which is an "it is what it is" scenario. I would've preferred we don't sign Zirkzee and prioritize the midfield.

Think he’s a very good player… definitely different to Ugarte but would really like him (and stop Liverpool having him)
Probably suits Liverpool better to be honest. Unless we’re serious about changing to a possession based team but if we are then surely he’d be more of a target than Ugarte? Isn’t Ugarte more of a destroyer type/ ball winner rather than one that likes to keep possession.

I wouldn't be so sure. He's reportedly not keen to leave Spain. Arteta has pushed for him a few times, but not even Arsenal and the bright lights of London could convince him.

Seems unlikely he'd be more willing to come to Liverpool, or Manchester for that matter. A Kloppless Liverpool seems even less likely.

Also, he's really not as good as people are making out, but like us Liverpool need a proper #6, and there aren't many of them you can get for less than £60m right now. Still, that's inflating his quality in lots of minds.

If memory serves he came on in the second half of the Euro final and pretty much bossed the game along with Ruiz, and Rodri wasn't really missed at all. Could be a good signing for whoever gets him.

He probably doesn't suit the way we play, but neither does Berge so why are looking at him?

He'd be great for the type of football Slot is trying to achieve so it's annoying.

Probably suits Liverpool better to be honest. Unless we’re serious about changing to a possession based team but if we are then surely he’d be more of a target than Ugarte? Isn’t Ugarte more of a destroyer type/ ball winner rather than one that likes to keep possession.
Yes, different players.

I’d rather Ugarte and/or de Jong as both good at what they do well… how we want to play would dictate which is most useful but if we can be a little flexible, we can definitely use both but clear we need sales first.

I like that Ineos have been strong in the market but no MFers in and we’re fecked again. Id take 20m for McT and maybe nothing for Eriksen and Casemiro… neutral wages and intangible inc9me from expected team results.

I’d be surprised if he went there.

Looks like a difficult deal, that richer and more attractive clubs than Liverpool - both geographically and sporting wise - haven’t managed to pull off.

He’s not someone I’d be gutted about if he joined Liverpool, although I’d prefer him to Ugarte and most midfielders we’ve been linked to, without a shadow of a doubt.

We need to be in for this. 50M pounds is the same they are asking for Ugarte too however.
The release clause needs to be paid in full under Spanish law. We can't afford to pay for anyone in full this summer hence why we negotiated with Bologna to pay slightly more than zirkzee's release fee so we could pay in installments.

Some people in here are acting as if Liverpool haven't spend alot on some real shockers in recent years

Zubimendi was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Ugarte but if his release clause is £51m he's the same price. We weren't interested in paying that much for Ugarte, so why woukd we pay it for Zubimendi?