Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

His profile is very rare on the market so I can see him going for 50 million plus.

But I don't think he wants to leave Spain anyway. He's more likely to go Barca.

I can imagine that happening. Wouldn't surprise me if it worked out very well for him and the club, too.

I don't see us pursuing this one too much. Maybe a few casual inquiries, but it looks like most of our attention is elsewhere, e.g. Rabiot. Wouldn't shock me one bit if we ended up getting Rabiot, as I imagine we'll need the money for De Ligt (or some other alternative) as we now need CB cover due to the Yoro injury. We needed a CB anyway.

I’m not a huge fan of Zubamrndi either but what does one have to do with the other?
Nothing at all :lol:

They're not even the same position. Arsenal were hot after him before they spent north of £100m on Rice. They also still have Partey on the books so they were never going to spend big on another holding mid.

Merino gives them what they lost in Xhaka leaving.

Concerning that is deemed as 'high'.

Guess we are buying another CB, then trying to get a midfielder on loan, with option to buy him next summer.

New management is evidently cautious, they already made one big signing and a more medium one. None of the other moves have been sealed so far despite terms agreed with players.

Our wasteful spending under the Glazers was always going to catch up to us. Most of our financial woes can probably be righted with a few years of careful management but I would expect the next two or three summers will be like that.

Veerman looked horrid at the Euros. He got subbed off after 20 minutes in one game because he was that bad. Sander Berge has spent half the time he’s been in England either in the Championship or out injured. Rabbit doesn’t massively excite me either. Not enthused with our midfield transfer targets.

Veerman looked horrid at the Euros. He got subbed off after 20 minutes in one game because he was that bad. Sander Berge has spent half the time he’s been in England either in the Championship or out injured. Rabbit doesn’t massively excite me either. Not enthused with our midfield transfer targets.
Agree with this. When did we start to accept such mediocrity? I know funds are tight and there’s been a lot of financial mismanagement, but this feels awfully desperate. Zubimendi feels the best of the bunch much because you know what you’re getting

Agree with this. When did we start to accept such mediocrity? I know funds are tight and there’s been a lot of financial mismanagement, but this feels awfully desperate. Zubimendi feels the best of the bunch much because you know what you’re getting
Is that even a reliable source? Cause if it references Veerman as a player United are interested in, it's hard to take it seriously. Probably no-one in football outside his mom shares that view.

Zubmiendi is the midfielder we should have been chasing from the beginning. An actual 6 who will stay in position and can pass for days.

The fact that Arsenal are signing his partner after being linked with him for so long is telling.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems that maybe his game wouldn't translate well to the EPL.

Though Jorginho has been a good midfielder for a long time, and is not a physical midfielder despite playing at the base of a midfield.

I would argue that we need another midfielder like him, as opposed to another all-action midfielder like Merino, given how well Rice played further afield when the shackles were released. Which makes us moving on from Zubamendi to Merino interesting.

The fact that Arsenal are signing his partner after being linked with him for so long is telling.
Wasn’t Merino the more highly rated for the longest? Seems like only recently the hype has shifted to Zubimendi somewhat.

Merino has a year left on his contract and wants to leave ( I think). Sociedad are notorious difficult to deal with. I presume their chairman is the Spanish Daniel Levy.

Zubimendi has said he doesn't want to leave Spain though David Silva said the same and did eventually leave Spain.

Personally dont think zubimendi is the right player for us. So hard to find the required skill set.

I feel like this sort of thing happens a lot. We dance around some weird options while a PL rival just gets the one who makes the most sense without fecking about

Hopefully some movement on our midfield targets this week

Zubamendi always felt like the best choice but I thought he wasn't available. Be funny and a bit red faced if Liverpool get him.

He would be great signing, we are not in for him and we cannot afford him, why are we discussing him? Waste of time

They will probably demand the full clause paid in one go. We can’t afford that.

Apparently has 60m Euro release clause.
Yeah, we aren't paying any release clauses. We literally paid more to Bologna so we could avoid paying the clause for Zirkzee to be able to spread the payment out. We simply don't have the cash to pay 60 million in one go.

Even if he isn’t a great player surely he’s better than the ones we are linked with - Berger, Fofana etc?

Zubamendi always felt like the best choice but I thought he wasn't available. Be funny and a bit red faced if Liverpool get him.

on the other hand we would probably retain McT

Yeah, we aren't paying any release clauses. We literally paid more to Bologna so we could avoid paying the clause for Zirkzee to be able to spread the payment out. We simply don't have the cash to pay 60 million in one go.
So we could do the same with Zubimendi, would need us to get rid of McT first to even give us the funds to pay the first instalment, but could be done. Still think we'll get Ugarte rather than Zubimendi though, assume all these new links are to try and get PSG to lower their valuation.

Only next to Wharton on my list of defensive midfielders / DLP's we need for our team.

Would suck if he goes to Liverpool.

Silly post
Let just Liverpool go for him, then they might not go for Sander Berge.. I have been told by RC posters that he is just what we need to improve us, and that he is the next big thing in world football.