Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

Wont happen, certainly Rashford, he's going no where. It also isnt the key to us having a good season either!

Maybe my initial wording is wrong. What I'm saying is that i believe selling him and sancho would enable us to have a strong season with good recruitment. Especially if a lack of funds means we don't get a dm

Problem with replacing Rashford is we’d have to find someone who’s ready now. If we have too many project players (Yoro, Mainoo, Amad, Garnacho, Hojlund, Amass) it might raise the question whether players like Bruno, Martinez will want to stick around and wait while they could be using their peak years in winning teams.

Valid point but wish we could get someone who offers more and wouldn't make them want to leave

If Amad and Garnacho don’t bench him within the next few games there’s clearly some sort of higher up order to play him no matter what. It’s sickening he can get paid what he earns and yet put in shite performances 4 out of 5 matches
Rangnick benched him plenty when he had his stint in charge. Ten Hag is choosing to play him.

Either would be upgrades on him

I don’t think the other winger is a goalscorer, Williams is. If we sell Rashford we need to replace his potential goals too
Kvaratskhelia seems to be more of a goal scoring forward than Williams based on stats...i just think Kvaratskhelia is the type of forward that has always thrived at United

that said...i think Nico Williams would be a fantastic addition if we could convince him to join and not keep waiting for Barcelona to come in for him

Rangnick benched him plenty when he had his stint in charge. Ten Hag is choosing to play him.

Speaking to a prem league footballer apparently player contracts are a nightmare for clubs nowadays.

Everything is detailed in fine detail, including player has to play if fit for certain percentage of game/times.

Not saying this is necessarily the case with Marcus, as I don't know not having seen his contract, but his performances and minutes may suggest this to be the case.

I hope if he doesn't perform this year he gets sold.

He can't pick a pass, continuously loses the ball, Garnacho is far better currently.

Having one good season every leap year isn't what we need as a club.

I think we need to see him under a new manager. Almost every player in the squad has regressed massively in the last 2 years. If he is still shit under the next manager then flog him in the summer.

I hope if he doesn't perform this year he gets sold.

He can't pick a pass, continuously loses the ball, Garnacho is far better currently.

Having one good season every leap year isn't what we need as a club.

If he doesn’t perform, who will buy him? He’s on £325k per week until 2028. I don’t see how it’s possible to sell him unless he actually starts turning in good performances again.

He’s lost his explosiveness. The main attribute that made him such a dangerous attacker. He knows it as well, he doesn’t go down line anywhere near as much.

I think we need to see him under a new manager. Almost every player in the squad has regressed massively in the last 2 years. If he is still shit under the next manager then flog him in the summer.
He did the same thing with Ole, started off great and then faded after a season. A new manager is not going to permanently fix him, it’s just the kind of player he is

He did the same thing with Ole, started off great and then faded after a season. A new manager is not going to permanently fix him, it’s just the kind of player he is
Perhaps but we haven't exactly had quality managers as of late. We're turning over players for fun and it can't always be the players who are the issue. We've sold players like Evans in the past because they were 'rubbish' only to eventually have them back at some point because they're better than what we currently have. Then you've got the likes of Welbeck who are still doing it for Brighton. I'm not saying Rashford shouldn't be sold but we should at least consider the manager is the issue first.

He is 27 in October so it's a bit late trying to teach him a new trick.

Also giving him a clean slate by changing the manager is just wishful thinking really...that tactic has been tried 3-5 times already.

Perhaps but we haven't exactly had quality managers as of late. We're turning over players for fun and it can't always be the players who are the issue. We've sold players like Evans in the past because they were 'rubbish' only to eventually have them back at some point because they're better than what we currently have. Then you've got the likes of Welbeck who are still doing it for Brighton. I'm not saying Rashford shouldn't be sold but we should at least consider the manager is the issue first.
This is his 9th season as first team member of Utd. If we discount LvG, who only managed him for about half the season, he’s played under 4 managers not counting interim and perform largely the same for all of them.

Other players, especially those new to the club, can get a pass, Marcus Rashford doesn’t.

Yes. Let's give Rashford another season and revaluate him under a new manager. But we can't sell him next summer. He will be only few months away from his testimonial. We can't do this to him. He is still a kid.

It's this backwards mentality that kept players like Lingard, Martial, Shaw, VDB, Jones and so many others in our books even though they should have left yeeaaaars ago.

We are stuck with him because nobody will match our overvaluation. Unless we are ready to accept 20-30 millions as we did with Sancho.

While I also think he has to go he was okish yesterday and should have had 2 assists. It doesnt help that no one is making any runs or is in the middle.

Let him go at a loss,we've seen the best of him 3 years ago.Marginality better than Sancho at this point & should be treated the same way.Harsh but inevitable.

How can anyone think he played ok yesterday? He had two good crosses that should have been finished…but does that paper over the other 88 minutes where he did nothing and played like he was terrified of messing up?

He was out there against a guy in TAA that’s well known for being shot defensively. Rashford didn’t even try to run at him other than once or twice and those efforts were so sloppy he looked like he was trying not to fall over. Then Pool bring in a youth player at RB and Rashford doesn’t once attempt to run at him.

It’s either one of two things wrong with him. He’s either physically clocked and doesn’t have speed anymore. If that’s the case, his career at the top is done. He doesn’t have enough other skills to make up for that loss. Or two, he’s mentally fecked which at this point it’s been over a year and I don’t know how we fix that.

We should have sold him this summer when people still thought he might be about to bounce back. But realistically PSG was our only option. Or maybe we could’ve gotten Chelsea to bite. Now, nobody is giving us over 40 for Rashford…and I would take that for him in a heartbeat right now. I personally think he’s done.

I'm not lip reading expert but at one point when Rashy messed up the camera cut to ETH and RVN. I'm convinced ETH turned to RVN and said "Rashford is shit".

I'm not lip reading expert but at one point when Rashy messed up the camera cut to ETH and RVN. I'm convinced ETH turned to RVN and said "Rashford is shit".

That can't be true. Rashford is regularly picked by a manager who has won two trophies, ergo he must be a top class player firing on all cylinders.

Let him go at a loss,we've seen the best of him 3 years ago.Marginality better than Sancho at this point & should be treated the same way.Harsh but inevitable.
We wouldn't make any loss if we sold him, he's an academy player so it'd be profit.

Even if he performs brilliantly this year we need to sell him, far too inconsistent, at least if he performs well PSG will drop a nice wedge on the table for us.

Difficult to let him go at a loss considering he’s an academy player, even Woodward wouldn’t be able to do that.

That can't be true. Rashford is regularly picked by a manager who has won two trophies, ergo he must be a top class player firing on all cylinders.

I swear it looked like he said that. Obviously not saying he 100% did. Just that it looked like it.

Regarding playing Rashy, again could be wrong as I don't know the terms of Rashy s contract but I've posted on here before that a PL player is a good friend of my brother.

In a conversation with this guy he said that some players, especially ones with big contracts, have minutes to be played when fit in their contracts. Managers have very little choice. Said it's a different world to past days. Players have a lot more control.

If I recall correctly Ole said something similar in the overlap. Think it was with Bellingham? Wanting percentage playing time in his contract at 17 or something

I don't see many takers for our beloved Rashford. His reputation ain't the same anymore and for quite a while he is an average player. I don't see any top team needing him. Or Conte could help us out again.

I was hoping that him watching the Euros on TV would spark a reaction in him. Something, anything. Nothing came of it. It's a shame really. He needs the bench.

It isn't that he hasn't lived up to potential. It happens. It's the combination of not living up to his potential and having the work rate of a 36 year old Ballon d'Or winner whose just signed on for a year in the MLS to boost his profile stateside, that's the issue

In a conversation with this guy he said that some players, especially ones with big contracts, have minutes to be played when fit in their contracts. Managers have very little choice. Said it's a different world to past days. Players have a lot more control.

If I recall correctly Ole said something similar in the overlap. Think it was with Bellingham? Wanting percentage playing time in his contract at 17 or something

I've considered this theory and I would have been completely on board with it by this point were it not for Ten Hag. The kind of guy that would keep starting Rashford with a completely clear conscience.

I've considered this theory and I would have been completely on board with it by this point were it not for Ten Hag. The kind of guy that would keep starting Rashford with a completely clear conscience.

See I'm not convinced by this line of argument/thinking. I'm fully into the theory that's it's a contract thing.

The reason I say this is that prior to ETH signing one of his "plus points" was how he dealt with players who didn't do what was required. There was even a video (forget the players name) of ETH shouting at a player who wasn't doing what he wanted. Player never played for him again and was sold.

It isn't that he hasn't lived up to potential. It happens. It's the combination of not living up to his potential and having the work rate of a 36 year old Ballon d'Or winner whose just signed on for a year in the MLS to boost his profile stateside, that's the issue
And the fact that he threw a club legend (Ole having to apologise before a press conference started) under the bus. Club need to give Amad and Garnacho a real chance as wide players before new ones are signed.

Playing styles constantly evolve. City, Real Madrid and Spain (all recent winners) highlight the value of having wide players who can go past a man and stretch play from a standing start. Marcus hasn’t been that player for 18 months now and arguably never was given his pace suited a counterattacking style.

Hopefully Toney shows a way forward for Marcus, as no European club will take on his current wages given his poor work rate and end product.

unsellable due to that contract.....

let a new manager try and get something more from him

That makes sense for Bellingham obviously, but not for Rashford.

Any demand in a contract naturally comes at the expense of something else.

At 17 you would insist on playing time over whether to make 5k or 10k more a week. You will more than make up for it later. What does Rashford trade for his guaranteed minutes? Why?

The only scenario I can think of is a massive goal bonus so you want more minutes to hopefully score more goals, but the guy isn't even shooting at the goal so it can't be that.

That makes sense for Bellingham obviously, but not for Rashford.

Any demand in a contract naturally comes at the expense of something else.

At 17 you would insist on playing time over whether to make 5k or 10k more a week. You will more than make up for it later. What does Rashford trade for his guaranteed minutes? Why?

The only scenario I can think of is a massive goal bonus so you want more minutes to hopefully score more goals, but the guy isn't even shooting at the goal so it can't be that.

It's not a hill I'm prepared to die on as such, and I obviously don't know the ins and outs of Rashy s contract.

It's just something I'd never thought about until this conversation and as I said above it made more sense to me after seeing the pre ETH appointment vids of him getting pissed off with players and getting rid previously.

It also is the only thing making sense in my head due to Rashy s performances and the fact that someone like Garnacho gets subbed etc but almost never Rashy.

Maybe it is linked with wages, as you suggest. Win bonuses etc.

Truth is I don't know. A bit Occam's razor on my part maybe

two lines of conversation here , money and performances.

I dont give a flying fugk about money - just send him to the reserves until he bucks up or fecks off!

I am tired of watching him. Im tired Robbie!

I am a pretty good lip reader by dint of only having 40% of regular hearing and I'm pretty sure he did no such thing

Even if he performs brilliantly this year we need to sell him, far too inconsistent, at least if he performs well PSG will drop a nice wedge on the table for us.

100% he has one good season every 3 or 4.

Look at the likes of Salah, we need someone who shows up every game, every season. We need to win titles, and for United the wingers are the centre piece of the entire team. We need the absolute best.

Rashford isn't it, Martial is gone now, time for Rashford too.

Reality is Rashford isn’t going anywhere this season now BUT I would bench him for a while and start with Diallo and Garnacho as Rashford needs to understand his performances are completely unacceptable, one player over the years Rashford has played well against is TAA but he didn’t even attempt to run at him despite lots of opportunities to do so.

In general Rashford doesn’t run at players at all and his actual main attribute is his pace so instead we constantly see him receive the ball then just play it backwards again, he offers nothing more than Sancho did other than his pace which he never uses anymore anyway.