Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

He’s our only player with proper pace (even if he has lost a yard) and the ability to beat his man consistently.

What I don’t get is why our coaching staff doesn’t sit him down, look him in the eyes and tell him: “Marcus, every time you are 1 on 1 with a defender, you must take him on. If you fail to do so, you won’t play”.

He’s our only player with proper pace (even if he has lost a yard) and the ability to beat his man consistently.

What I don’t get is why our coaching staff doesn’t sit him down, look him in the eyes and tell him: “Marcus, every time you are 1 on 1 with a defender, you must take him on. If you fail to do so, you won’t play”.

Except he doesn't have this ability. He can't beat a man anymore consistently and hasn't done for ages.

I'm not lip reading expert but at one point when Rashy messed up the camera cut to ETH and RVN. I'm convinced ETH turned to RVN and said "Rashford is shit".
He’s Dutch, so must have been saying Rashford is it.

The only reason he is still here is because our front line is midtable

Hojlund and zerkzee? Would they get into any united starting lineup over the last decade?

Garnacho is just a developing player and not ready to take the left wing spot but he is better than rashford at this point, which says everything. Maybe amad but only because we have been starved for a right winger valencia left.

The only reason he is still here is because our front line is midtable

Hojlund and zerkzee? Would they get into any united starting lineup over the last decade?

Garnacho is just a developing player and not ready to take the left wing spot but he is better than rashford at this point, which says everything. Maybe amad but only because we have been starved for a right winger valencia left.
What actual position is Zirkzee. I mean what is his old style shirt number? I’m rather confused as to why we bought him.

I'm not lip reading expert but at one point when Rashy messed up the camera cut to ETH and RVN. I'm convinced ETH turned to RVN and said "Rashford is shit".

I thought he said "Rashford's a hit."

I'm optimistic that INEOS will target the winger positions for next summer recruitment efforts. Believe it or not, we had lots of work needed to be done in this summer and INEOS also correctly assess the resources and priority to fix the CB / DMC / FW positions first. This reason all the 4 wingers (Amad / Rashford / Garnacho / Antony ) all need to give performances or else they will be replaced next season. Handling Sancho gives me much confidence that the management team would not tolerate Rashford any more , considering he is the top earner in the team.

He’s our only player with…the ability to beat his man consistently.

This is simply not true. Rashford is the worst at this between he, Garnacho and Amad. The other two routinely beat the man marking them. He may have more pace, but he doesn’t consistently beat his man in space.

100% he has one good season every 3 or 4.

Look at the likes of Salah, we need someone who shows up every game, every season. We need to win titles, and for United the wingers are the centre piece of the entire team. We need the absolute best.

Rashford isn't it, Martial is gone now, time for Rashford too.
False. He has a hot streak of about 3 months every 4 years and he’s shit again. He’s never been good for an entire whole season before.

Have you been watching him for the past year? He can barely beat a traffic cone now. His pace is gone and his dribbling is gone with it.

See I'm not convinced by this line of argument/thinking. I'm fully into the theory that's it's a contract thing.

The reason I say this is that prior to ETH signing one of his "plus points" was how he dealt with players who didn't do what was required. There was even a video (forget the players name) of ETH shouting at a player who wasn't doing what he wanted. Player never played for him again and was sold.

Does seem to be plausible. Ten Hag played and played him last year then funnily enough dropped him a lot near the end of the season. He was woeful yes, but a case of having already played his "quota" so was then able to be dropped?

Have you been watching him for the past year? He can barely beat a traffic cone now. His pace is gone and his dribbling is gone with it.
That's blatantly incorrect. The only thing that's gone is his confidence, and I'm not surprised with the amount of hate he's got over the last year or so. If he tries to beat someone and doesn't, he gets pelters. If he doesn't try and beat someone, and recycles the ball, he gets pelters, so he's on a hiding to nothing. His lack of form has coincided with the break up of his relationship and the death of his cousin, which clearly knocked him mentally.

What he needs is a goal or two in consecutive games, be they penalties or otherwise, just to get his mojo back.

That's blatantly incorrect. The only thing that's gone is his confidence, and I'm not surprised with the amount of hate he's got over the last year or so. If he tries to beat someone and doesn't, he gets pelters. If he doesn't try and beat someone, and recycles the ball, he gets pelters, so he's on a hiding to nothing. His lack of form has coincided with the break up of his relationship and the death of his cousin, which clearly knocked him mentally.

What he needs is a goal or two in consecutive games, be they penalties or otherwise, just to get his mojo back.

And despite the fact that I agree he hasn’t been at his best, he could easily be on a couple of goals and a couple of assists in 3 games but for the fact that (a) other players have missed golden chances that he’s created and (b) other players have been utterly incapable of picking him out with passes when one simple ball would have seen him clean through on goal.

It's clearly a confidence thing, but he's been making terrible decisions outside of football as well, with his constant need for positive PR. He needs to take everything back to basics, because nothing is working for him right now - on or off the pitch.

I think the bolded is a little bit of a simplification of what happened. We were literally breaking, he had a CB stood up, 1 on 1, with Trent completely out of position and he just turned around and passed it back. If Antony did that, we'd rightfully be saying he is not good enough to be our winger and should be sold.

This is simply not true. Rashford is the worst at this between he, Garnacho and Amad. The other two routinely beat the man marking them. He may have more pace, but he doesn’t consistently beat his man in space.
This is also simply not true. Garnacho has one of the worst take on success % in the top 5 leagues. Right now neither Garnacho or Rashford are anywhere near good enough, while Amad has it all to prove.

The upside with Marcus is there is plenty of evidence to show he is one of, if not the best LW in the league if he sees form. Garnacho hopefully has the potential to be similar. Rashford has committed the cardinal sin of being lazy at a time we needed him not to be, and it’s unlikely he ever recovers the trust of our fans. That said, the hyperbole around how bad or ‘untalented’ he is drives me up the wall.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to wait for him to “get his mojo” back, it’s a damning indictment of his confidence that he turned down a 1vs1 against Konate bearing down on goal.

He gets criticism for his application and also his at times bizarre decision making for a player who is 27 years of age in just under two months, he is paid superstar wages and unfortunately when he performs like he has, he is going to get criticised.

I think Rashford at United is done. I can't see him turning it around here but possibly at another club he could refind himself.

Apart from his good run of about 3 months 18 months ago, he’s been shit for the majority of 5 years and people like you still think all he needs is some confidence :lol:

Have some fecking standards. He’s massively overrated and the sooner we move on from him, the better.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to wait for him to “get his mojo” back, it’s a damning indictment of his confidence that he turned down a 1vs1 against Konate bearing down on goal.

He gets criticism for his application and also his at times bizarre decision making for a player who is 27 years of age in just under two months, he is paid superstar wages and unfortunately when he performs like he has, he is going to get criticised.
He is meant to be our leading attacking light like Son or Salah and is compensated accordingly. Sadly he is a million miles off in terms of effort and performances even if he was ok against Liverpool.

He has had all summer off so he really should be hitting the ground running.

Bruno was terrible on Sunday but he played at the euros and at least he has tried to help Rashford by gifting him two penalties last season.

Rashford will turn 27 by the end of next month. He needs to start acting like a senior pro which he is and embracing the pressure to protect the younger players. At least he seemed to respond to the heckling from the crowd; it is two games in a row that he has been booed by match day fans.

He is meant to be our leading attacking light like Son or Salah and is compensated accordingly. Sadly he is a million miles off in terms of effort and performances even if he was ok against Liverpool.

He has had all summer off so he really should be hitting the ground running.

Bruno was terrible on Sunday but he played at the euros and at least he has tried to help Rashford by gifting him two penalties last season.

Rashford will turn 27 by the end of next month. He needs to start acting like a senior pro which he is and embracing the pressure to protect the younger players. At least he seemed to respond to the heckling from the crowd; it is two games in a row that he has been booed by match day fans.

You realize Rashford is an inside forward, like Son and Salah, who has been played as a touchline winger ever since the start of last season, unlike the other two?

The last time Rashford was deployed as an inside forward he got 40 G/A.

This thread is full of people who don't understand what they're talking about.

This is also simply not true. Garnacho has one of the worst take on success % in the top 5 leagues. Right now neither Garnacho or Rashford are anywhere near good enough, while Amad has it all to prove.

The upside with Marcus is there is plenty of evidence to show he is one of, if not the best LW in the league if he sees form. Garnacho hopefully has the potential to be similar. Rashford has committed the cardinal sin of being lazy at a time we needed him not to be, and it’s unlikely he ever recovers the trust of our fans. That said, the hyperbole around how bad or ‘untalented’ he is drives me up the wall.
Stopped reading after this

You realize Rashford is an inside forward, like Son and Salah, who has been played as a touchline winger ever since the start of last season, unlike the other two?

Okay Dwaine…

Yeah this is a problem. When we had a left footed LB going on the outside to keep width in pre-season, you saw Rashford coming in the inside channel and looking a menace for the opposition. We really need that to "unlock" him, he always plays well with Shaw. He's not a touchline hugging winger, and he will never be.

Yeah this is a problem. When we had a left footed LB going on the outside to keep width in pre-season, you saw Rashford coming in the inside channel and looking a menace for the opposition. We really need that to "unlock" him, he always plays well with Shaw. He's not a touchline hugging winger, and he will never be.

No overlapping player is a huge detriment for any winger, but for Rashford it's often dismissed as a "bad excuse" or something along those lines. We saw vs both Brighton and Liverpool how isolated he can get when he wants to do his usual moves. And yeah, Shaw is his most compatible left-back, but others could do it as well.

Marcus Rashford "It's always because of someone else"

In a nutshell. At some point we have to cut loose. It hasn't worked. And I think it's incredibly damaging for the team and for the young players in and around the team developing in an environment where they see him rewarded with a big contract and an immovable place in the starting line up. The example he sets them is awful.

What standard is that?

He looks like a player who knows how he performs bears no relation to his chances of getting picked next week

It's like Pogba all over again with the excuses. We just need to set everything up right for him then he'll be flying again.

Rashford is never, ever going to be the player he once was. I don't dislike him, but he doesn't seem to have the pace for it anymore. He played ok the other day in a bad game, but 'unlocking' him is just never going to happen in my opinion.

I don't see anyone lining up with a big bid, and we'd have a to carry a huge chunk of his wage bill. Surprised if we got out even tbh.
Huh? The only reason we'd have to do that is if he went on loan somewhere, which isn't going to happen. What I meant was if he's sold any money we get would be profit because he's and academy player.

Imagine the FSR effect we could've had by selling him. Not anymore though, nobody would pay more than 40.

Why do people still put so much effort into defending Marcus Rashford? He's had two good seasons in a decade and outside of that has been mediocre at best.

I find him incredibly frustrating to watch. Can't cross, can't beat a man, can't head a ball, usually makes the wrong decisions...

Lovely person and human being. I'd even gladly keep him as an impact sub and to play in Cup competitions. But this man should be nowhere near any starting line up, that ship sailed a few years back and he's done nothing to show he should be starting.

A few seasons ago we should have sold him when Barcelona were rumoured to be interested. But now it would be best for both parties to part ways.

I don't even know where Marcus goes from here because if I supported even a Brighton, West Ham or Aston Villa I'd be disappointed with signing him.

Ganarcho should be starting on the left before Rashford moving forward. Ganarcho can still carve out a good future for himself. Rashford is done.

I think Rashford at United is done. I can't see him turning it around here but possibly at another club he could refind himself.

A few goals in Ligue 1 against the likes RC Lens and Toulouse would do nicely.

It's a big if that he makes the move to PSG, but one thing is certain though. He'll get back on track there, and United will be getting pelters from people who'd insist we shouldn't have let him go, similar to the Sancho situation at Dortmund. This despite the fact that like Sancho, Rashford is almost certain not to return to form at United in the first place.