Marc Guéhi | Newcastle Open Talks - Ornstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, for the price he is not worth it. Would be a squad player. De Ligt and Yoro hopefully and we are good CB wise this summer.

People were very worried that him replacing Maguire (who is pretty much always good for England) would be a big issue.

Guehi came in and it wasn't really a big issue so people were happy.

He didn't look out of his depth at all. He wasn't perfect of course but was fine.
It was a big miss for England, as much as people like to bash Maguire, he brings a lot to England including at corners, free kicks, leadership

Surprised by that in regards to his ball-playing. I thought that was his major stand-out point when I've seen people speak about him but it looks very average.

Yeah I think its one of those tricks of the mind. People see him do one or two good things in an England shirt and assume he plays like that every game. But he doesnt. And even with his England numbers its really low, so its like he wins one good header, or makes one good tackle, or or one good pass and it ticks a box for them that he's good in that area. But there are lots of defenders who do those things 3 or 4 times a game.

His partner at Palace Anderson is more impressive at most things. Guehi does play more short passes and with more accuracy but pretty much everything else the Dane comes out on top

2983d0c8061b5a832453962f72214c8f.png

He did fine, nothing amazing and aside from a few errors pretty solid, I thought Konsa was slightlybetter in his game. I think Maguire would have posed a much more attacking threat, but we need to persuade with younger players like Guehi and Konsa.

He looks like a very average player, and he got caught out a few times in the tournament and it cost us goals. I don't get how he kept his place with better CBs in the squad.

Would be interesting to see what he goes for relative to the prices spoken about for Branthwaite.

Would be interesting to see what he goes for relative to the prices spoken about for Branthwaite.
The naked disrespect that Palace are showing Everton by bidding for a centre half in the same summer as they definitely don’t want to get rid of Branthwaite is something Everton fans won’t forget in a hurry.

Interested in seeing the fee here in comparison to Branthwaite...

Guehi just turned 24 and is much more established with 4 quality seasons at the highest level and is a starter for country.

All that said, I somehow wouldn't be surprised if he wound up costing 20-30m less :lol:

Can't see Palace accepting anything less than £60m - already sold Olise this summer.

If Branthwaite is worth 70m then Guehi is worth at least 85-90 surely?

If Branthwaite is worth 70m then Guehi is worth at least 85-90 surely?

Wouldn't have thought so. Guehi is currently the more established player on the international stage, but I think most people would say Branthwaite has greater long term potential. I'd expect them to cost around the same.

I’m surprised Chelsea haven’t showed an interest and then signs him up in a week and offering a nine year contract

Are Newcastle really in it to make it big time?
Figured out the Saudis at this point are more interested at elevating their own league instead of becoming a second city or whatever, probably content with Newcastle being a stable mid table club.

Are Newcastle really in it to make it big time?
Figured out the Saudis at this point are more interested at elevating their own league instead of becoming a second city or whatever, probably content with Newcastle being a stable mid table club.
That's actually a really good point that probably deserves it's own thread.

The naked disrespect that Palace are showing Everton by bidding for a centre half in the same summer as they definitely don’t want to get rid of Branthwaite is something Everton fans won’t forget in a hurry.

It's really weird how people don't seem to understand that Everton simply do not want to sell Branthwaite unless it is just a stupid fee that you can't say no to, which is well within their rights. If Real were coming after Garnacho, we would be asking for way more money than most would deem him worth too.

I’d personally rather Branthwaite for the same money given that he can cover either side and has a lot of untapped potential. It’s looks like Everton were right to stick to their guns if palace can get this kind of money.

Guehi literally just played at LCB for England throughout the Euros, and did so very well, and was selected ahead of Branthwaite (a natural LCB), so I think ‘can cover both sides’ is a bit of a weak argument in this instance.

At the prices quoted I wouldn’t want either of them. Much better value out there.

Guehi literally just played at LCB for England throughout the Euros, and did so very well, and was selected ahead of Branthwaite (a natural LCB), so I think ‘can cover both sides’ is a bit of a weak argument in this instance.

At the prices quoted I wouldn’t want either of them. Much better value out there.

I wouldn’t read too much into this at all. He’s far more experienced and Southgate is as safe of a manager as you will ever see. If Branthwaite is what he’s supposed to be he will have taken over the England LCB by the next major tournament. It’s no major yardstick.

Last edited:
I don’t think he improves them that much. Palace will put on brave faces, lose him for 55 + add ons and be laughing behind the scenes. Freedman will go out and get someone better for half the price.

Only Southgate would pick him over Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.