Marc Guéhi | Newcastle Open Talks - Ornstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an outsider looking in, I’m glad this kind of stuff is happening to other clubs because we get grief over our pursuit and subsequent purchase of Maguire so I’m happy some other club eats shit on these types of deals.
I get the sentiment, but £80m in 2019 adjusted for inflation is £100m today.

Starts tonight. Heard a lot of journalists say we’re close to an agreement over the last 24 hours and I doubt he’d be risked if that was the case.

Interesting if Newcastle refuse to pay the asking fee, with United seemingly already deciding the same on Brantwaithe. Couple of clubs possibly missing out on receiving big fees by asking for too much. Maybe they're happy to keep their important players, but maybe those players will run down their deals and the opportunity to sell this high doesn't return.

Interesting if Newcastle refuse to pay the asking fee, with United seemingly already deciding the same on Brantwaithe. Couple of clubs possibly missing out on receiving big fees by asking for too much. Maybe they're happy to keep their important players, but maybe those players will run down their deals and the opportunity to sell this high doesn't return.
I think they both misjudged the market this summer with PSR rules. The fees have dropped.

Boo hoo for them. They want to pretend to be a big club they should expect to be treated like the big clubs do when it comes to transfers.

Besides in no reality were Palace going to leave Guehi go for anything less than big big money given that they value him similar to Everton value Branthwaite. Plus they sold their other centre half so even less likely.

Chased Guehi all summer and secured neither him or any alternative. Desperately chucked in a deadline day bid for Anthony Elanga that was rejected - and this is somehow being spun as shrewd business. :lol:

The absolute state of some of these club journos that are nothing but cheerleaders, if not outright on the payroll.

Chased Guehi all summer and secured neither him or any alternative. Desperately chucked in a deadline day bid for Anthony Elanga that was rejected - and this is somehow being spun as shrewd business. :lol:

The absolute state of some of these club journos that are nothing but cheerleaders, if not outright on the payroll.

Complaining about Saudi Tax but then bidding 50m for Anthony Elanga ffs.

Interestingly, Mitchell has just done an interview where he basically says Howe is very much involved with transfers (sounds familiar with the reports Ashworth limited in his role because of Howe) and Howe couldn't be talked into signing an alternative.

Guéhi would've been a good long-term signing for them IMO, but I'm not sure he's what they needed this summer. I don't think he's is the paciest CB around, and their current CBs are probably even slower. If I was in their shoes, I would've been looking at someone else anyway. Also, it would've admittedly been a ~£15-20m overpay for Guéhi at £70m. Branthwaite would've been a better fit for them IMO but he was another target unattainable for a reasonable price (arguably), and they probably knew that they didn't have a chance vs United anyway, if Everton were willing to do a deal for a reasonable fee.
Complaining about Saudi Tax but then bidding 50m for Anthony Elanga ffs.
The kind of insanity panic can create, I guess. Nottingham turning it down is funny too, despite me thinking Elanga is a pretty good player.

Newcastle: We want to be a big club, but don’t you dare treat us like one.

Newcastle: We want to be a big club, but don’t you dare treat us like one.

They were a biggish club, to be fair to them, even a somewhat likeable one IMO, up until they were bought by the PIF. Now it's all stained and tainted. And 90% of their fanbase has already been successfully brainwashed about the Saudis.

They were a biggish club, to be fair to them, even a somewhat likeable one IMO, up until they were bought by the PIF. Now it's all stained and tainted. And 90% of their fanbase has already been successfully brainwashed about the Saudis.
Never a big club

General chit chat about Newcastle shouldn’t be in the transfer forum. Please use Redcafe in the correct structure

Status
Not open for further replies.