Marc Guéhi | Newcastle Open Talks - Ornstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
People really talked him up at the euros but to me he looked fine but absolutely nothing special. Pretty nervous and made a couple of errors but nothing dramatic. Cannot see him being top class.

Not sure if he will be a good fit for our defense with Martinez already being short. He’s not that stellar on the ball either.

Maybe Palace would be interested in Lindelof or Maguire as short-term replacement for him?

Not sure if he will be a good fit for our defense with Martinez already being short. He’s not that stellar on the ball either.

Maybe Palace would be interested in Lindelof or Maguire as short-term replacement for him?
Maxence Lacroix from Wolfsburg appears to be the chosen one for when Marc departs, wouldn’t be surprised to see Chalobah either. Chadi Riad’s also looked excellent in preseason. Thanks but no thanks.

People really talked him up at the euros but to me he looked fine but absolutely nothing special. Pretty nervous and made a couple of errors but nothing dramatic. Cannot see him being top class.
Pretty much. Don’t see the hype myself. Decent defender praised to high heavens for decent performances.

Maxence Lacroix from Wolfsburg appears to be the chosen one for when Marc departs, wouldn’t be surprised to see Chalobah either. Chadi Riad’s also looked excellent in preseason. Thanks but no thanks.
Chalobah would be such a smart signing. Would be an upgrade on Guehi for less than half the price.

Definitely. A few errors and suspended for a couple of bookings trying to recover from errors.
Not sure he's that strong in the air either, so him and Martinez would be a disastrous combo.
We're not in anyway, thankfully.

Someone should let them know we have a few experienced defenders now surplus to requirements available.

Definitely. A few errors and suspended for a couple of bookings trying to recover from errors.
Not sure he's that strong in the air either, so him and Martinez would be a disastrous combo.
We're not in anyway, thankfully.

I believe Guehi had pretty terrible stats for heading at the Euros. One of the tactics that were suggested ahead of The Netherlands against England was to put Weghorst on Guehi and spam crosses towards Weghorst.

He's already a good player, has a high ceiling, and will likely be a mainstay in Newcastle's backline for a decade. It's not a terrible deal.

Guehi and Madueke, who they have been linked with also, would be a decent summer for them. Add the return of Tonali and less injuries this season and they will be solid I think. I'm expecting a good season from a few of the 'lesser' teams like Newcastle, Brighton and West Ham, and think Liverpool and City will not fare as well this time around. The question is where we fall in to it all. Chelsea are a wildcard too. I expect Villa to be solid but fall away slightly with European competitions.

Pretty steep for what he offers. I mean he’s a good solid defender but for that money you want world class potential or some outstanding attributes like ball playing ability etc.

I think his peak would be something like a Gary Cahill level. He'll be a good player but he's never going to be world class. Performances at euros massively over-rated.

Is he really that much better than Schar or Botman?

Price has been further inflated by the euros, I hope if this does go through that the price tag does not affect him, for his and England's sake, think his ceiling is a £50m player, he is very good, but not a great player, and nowhere near world class.

I think his peak would be something like a Gary Cahill level. He'll be a good player but he's never going to be world class. Performances at euros massively over-rated.

Is he really that much better than Schar or Botman?

I feel like Schar is one of the most underrated players in the league. His ball playing from the back is top class and he’s a decent defender too.

That Swiss back 3 with himself, Akanji and Rodriguez was superb.

He’s nowhere near that. I don’t see this massive potential that people see in him. He’s a decent defender that’s about it. We got De ligt for an absolute bargain when you see the prices for Guehi and Branthwaite. Barring injuries, de ligt would prove be an absolute world class defender in the PL.

Too much money for him. Having said that, I thought the same about Gordon and now the 40m fee for Everton looks like a steal so what do I know

I see a lot of talk about potential being a factor, players can and obviously do improve in their late 20s, but realistically, how much is he actually going to improve in the next few years? At 24 you're probably looking at the mostly finished article.

I see a lot of talk about potential being a factor, players can and obviously do improve in their late 20s, but realistically, how much is he actually going to improve in the next few years? At 24 you're probably looking at the mostly finished article.

I disagree in terms of CBs. I think that's definitely a position where you can be a late bloomer.

He’s nowhere near that. I don’t see this massive potential that people see in him. He’s a decent defender that’s about it. We got De ligt for an absolute bargain when you see the prices for Guehi and Branthwaite. Barring injuries, de ligt would prove be an absolute world class defender in the PL.

Makes our deal for De Ligt look like a masterstroke.

I mean it's difficult to tell these things before anyone plays.

Weird place to target so heavily when they just signed Lloyd Kelly
Schär, Lascelles and Burn are all 30+. Imagine they're happy to let all (probably two) of them go if the right offers come in.

Botman and Guehi with Kelly in reserve is a good set of options.

I don't think 24 you're the finished article at all in terms of CBs. It's usually when you make your big step up and you can either thrive in that situation or stagnate. I would say VVD improved at Liverpool, Pepe at Real Madrid, Akanji at City. There are loads of examples of players just stagnating when they do move as well. 24-27 is where a CB properly matures for me.

Makes our deal for De Ligt look like a masterstroke.
We never learn do we? A world class player like Varane looked ordinary for us, I'm not expecting much from De Ligt, Bayern don't let good players leave that easily.

Think the price being quoted is what you'd expect for a top English CB. Watched him play for England during the EC a couple of times and he always stood out to me in a positive sense. Good defender, comfortable on the ball, good passer.. and he's English so will always fetch a premium. Just look at what we had to pay to get Maguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.