Marc Guéhi | Newcastle Open Talks - Ornstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashworth is not a scout.

He does make presentations to prospective recruits though, so presumably Matt Law is saying that noone at Carrington knows PowerPoint and Guehi's decision hinges upon a good slideshow.

It's not that silly... right?

Also why would we only be interested if he’s appointed in time? Like he couldn’t simply pick the phone up and let Utd know this is the guy we should be targeting. :lol:
John Murtough prefers to spend the first 6 weeks of the window with his thumb up his arse. Guehi will have signed a deal with Liverpool by the time Murtough had even started planning for transfers.

Is he any good?

If he is, a wwap deal involving AWB wouldn't be a bad shout.
Yes.

It would have to be a swap + plus cash deal, and you don't see many of those in a transfer window, presumably because they are not straightforward deals to negotiate with multiple agents etc involved.

If we could get 20m for Wan Bissaka from a club and use that money to help fund the signing of Guehi or Branthwaite for a reasonable fee, that could be a good move.

Has been probably Englands best player.

Might be worth it if we can't sign our first choices

If Everton are asking £70m for players like Brathwaite imagine what Palace will ask for an established England international.

Yes.

It would have to be a swap + plus cash deal, and you don't see many of those in a transfer window, presumably because they are not straightforward deals to negotiate with multiple agents etc involved.

If we could get 20m for Wan Bissaka from a club and use that money to help fund the signing of Guehi or Branthwaite for a reasonable fee, that could be a good move.
Swap deals as such are rare but the new deal is I sell one player to you & you sell one player back to me. Works well for everyone involved

This won't happen. Anyone thinking it will, is just delusional. There's no way we're stumping up the cash for this guy, will be crazy prices.

This won't happen. Anyone thinking it will, is just delusional. There's no way we're stumping up the cash for this guy, will be crazy prices.

Two years left on his current deal. Maybe they keep him for a year, but they will be looking to sell this summer or the next. It is probably Man Utd or Liverpool for him.

Arsenal, City and Chelsea are well stacked at CB. Dont see Spurs or NUFC paying up for him.

He's struggled on several occasions this tournament when receiving the ball. Not impressed by what I've seen.

Palace wouldn't sell cheap and Guehi is only about an inch taller than Martinez. It doesn't look a great pairing, at least not on paper.

As others have said, I'm not sure he's great on the ball either. Not terrible, but probably akin to Lindelof and worse than Maguire. Certainly beats those 2 in terms of athleticism though, obviously.

He's just not a good fit right now, at least in my opinion.

Outstanding every fixture of the tournament.

His reading of the game is fantastic never in a desperate situation very composed. His defensive contribution was even more important than some of the goals scored last min.

Palace are a very good team as of late but I think Guehi easily makes the transition to a top 8 / 6 team.

Outstanding every fixture of the tournament.

His reading of the game is fantastic never in a desperate situation very composed. His defensive contribution was even more important than some of the goals scored last min.

Palace are a very good team as of late but I think Guehi easily makes the transition to a top 8 / 6 team.

He's caught out of position for Slovakia's goal after failing to win the ball and not aggressive enough in general. He attempted 4 tackles in 6 matches, and made 2 interceptions. Lost 15 and won 12 aerials with an average of 2 clearances a game better than the rest, but nothing that stands out.

Its playing like this that sees his 365 day report as thus

230914dc977d9e27498af026f96063ea.png

Extremely average Lindelof style anti-aggressive CB with the one thing he does a decent amount compared to his peers being bringing the ball out and evading a player

Not any better than De Ligt, a quite bit shorter too. We don't need two short CBs in him and Martinez. Martinez makes up for his height with superior positioning and also being aware of where his CB partner is and making sure he's not left on an island to defend crosses and long balls. Imagine if Guehi on the other side had to do this too, it would be chaos. Good defender but won't fit us in the slightest.

Another thing, we had a billion set pieces this tournament but with no Maguire we had no threat at all from the CBs. One of them being Guehi. He has scored 3 goals in his career, a couple with the right foot, 1 with his left and 0 with his head.

Lisandro who we know isnt the best in the air has scored 4.

For his first tournament and thrust in the centre of defence, I thought he had a pretty good month. Surprisingly quite decent in the air and has a good all around skillset (mental and physical) with nothing really outstanding.

Thought he should have closed down Yamal faster for the first goal (after Shaw's fault losing him) and got done for the winner. Fine margins and hopefully he'll learn from this.

Not a player I'd want at Utd atm unless for cheap and happy to play a squad role i.e never happening.

For his first tournament and thrust in the centre of defence, I thought he had a pretty good month. Surprisingly quite decent in the air and has a good all around skillset (mental and physical) with nothing really outstanding.

Thought he should have closed down Yamal faster for the first goal (after Shaw's fault losing him) and got done for the winner. Fine margins and hopefully he'll learn from this.

Not a player I'd want at Utd atm unless for cheap and happy to play a squad role i.e never happening.

Not really sure why he didn’t close Yamal down as Shaw was stuck with two men.

Don’t personally see it for me, especially for the price Palace would want, he doesn’t look especially comfortable on the ball either.

I feel like I'm being gaslit when people telling me he had a good tournament. He is not worth £50M. On the ball I feel like he's always on the cusp of losing it when pressed too.

Had a decent tournament, he's a good defender. But now Palace would want a lot of money for him and I would stay well clear

I think overall he was decent but you could argue that he was weak for the Slovakia goal and could have done better with the 2nd Spanish goal yesterday too. I think as a unit England were fairly defensively strong but individually they all had fairly weak tournaments.

I don’t think he’d be anywhere near worth the fee we’d have to pay

He's caught out of position for Slovakia's goal after failing to win the ball and not aggressive enough in general. He attempted 4 tackles in 6 matches, and made 2 interceptions. Lost 15 and won 12 aerials with an average of 2 clearances a game better than the rest, but nothing that stands out.

Extremely average Lindelof style anti-aggressive CB with the one thing he does a decent amount compared to his peers being bringing the ball out and evading a player
I agree. He's tidy and seems a very good character, but is way too passive. Lindelof is a good comparison I think, though I rate Guehi higher.

Surprised by that in regards to his ball-playing. I thought that was his major stand-out point when I've seen people speak about him but it looks very average.

Haven’t watched enough of him at Palace but he’s been decent in this tournament. Stats aren’t everything, especially over 7 games. Felt he could have gone with the striker last night and beaten him to the ball, but he sat off him hoping for offside and paid the price. You can’t do that in and around the 6 yard box.

Reactions: lysglimt
He would strengthen us - but he is not good enough to take us to the next level. His ceiling isn't high enough.

Let's not be guilty of judging a player after a decent international tournament.

Most of the games at the Euros were played at a walking pace, doing ok in a back 3/5 in a defensive team setup isn't really comparable to PL football.

I don't get the hype for him this tournament. He was decent against teams who did not have a go at England (even in those games he made 2-3 big mistakes that led to decent chances for the opposition), and when teams had a go at England (mainly Slovakia and Spain), he didn't look any good really.

I don't get the hype for him this tournament. He was decent against teams who did not have a go at England (even in those games he made 2-3 big mistakes that led to decent chances for the opposition), and when teams had a go at England (mainly Slovakia and Spain), he didn't look any good really.

People were very worried that him replacing Maguire (who is pretty much always good for England) would be a big issue.

Guehi came in and it wasn't really a big issue so people were happy.

He didn't look out of his depth at all. He wasn't perfect of course but was fine.

Don't get the fuss about him. International football isn't club football and he didn't even stand out in international football. He did fine. Thats about it. Personally I don't want fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.