Marc Guéhi | Newcastle Open Talks - Ornstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most "people" from where?

Watch the goals yourself dont argue with reality.

Your reality you mean? I don’t plan on watching anything back tbh because I can already tell it’s a waste of time debating anything with you. We overpaid (despite rejecting bids for £40m more than said amount) and Guehi is a poor defender despite captaining England at pretty much every age group, and starting the last tournament where we got to the final. Any colours where you live or is everything that black and white?

Your reality you mean? I don’t plan on watching anything back tbh because I can already tell it’s a waste of time debating anything with you. We overpaid (despite rejecting bids for £40m more than said amount) and Guehi is a poor defender despite captaining England at pretty much every age group, and starting the last tournament where we got to the final. Any colours where you live or is everything that black and white?

The reality we're in that he made mistakes in 3 of 5 goals. If you cant accept that its pointless ever talking to you about football

The reality we're in that he made mistakes in 3 of 5 goals. If you cant accept that its pointless ever talking to you about football

I think it’s pointless ever speaking to you in general to be fair. Enjoy your evening.

I think it’s pointless ever speaking to you in general to be fair. Enjoy your evening.

Wont be mad I have you on ignore then, enjoy defering your opinion to everyone else and inability to give your own opinion on your team's players and the mistakes they make for their national team.

I like the the fact that other teams are being charged top dollar for PL players/English players, City and Arsenal shelled out £100m for Grealish and Rice, Spurs paid £65m for Solanke, Palace wants from Newcastle more than £65m for Guehi, other teams now will be taxed the "United tax" for PL players which I am loving so I am happy to see Palace trying to squeeze as much as possible from Newcastle

That's quite funny because I would say Ake has improved. I always thought he was athletically talented but again too prone to lapses of concentration and quite lacksidal at Bournemouth. At City, he looks more assured and switched on, which make senses at he's now a lot older and approaching his thirties.

I will say I don't watch City a lot and base my assessment on very limited viewing though.

@padr81 - your thoughts on whether Akanji and Ake have improved since joining your team?
I would say Ake is vastly superior to the player we signed, much better defensively and less prone to lapses. Pretty much exactly as you said. I think last season he was probably our most reliable defender. The best example of just how much he's improved is when we first signed him many on here said we crazy overpaid for an injury prone Championship level player.

Akanji is very good but still error prone, that said in the eyes of Pep he's probably our 1st choice CB (though not mine). As to how much he's improved I can't really say defensively but I'd say going from a rotation option at Dortmund to being 1st choice for one of the top two teams in the world currently, suggest he's certainly got better. On the ball in particular but he's genuinely excellent for us now. He's definitely improved in that aspect.

I always find the cog in the City machine argument lacking in substance. A machine only functions as well as it dodgiest part allows. It's usually "Ah that guy would suck outside Peps system", followed by "Pep is only good cause he was 456 world class players in each position to work with".

I don't know what's madder - Newcastle offering £65M for him or Palace rejecting it

Probably Newcastle as in fairness Palace would be hard pressed to replace him with equal quality at this point in the window, even with all that money

I would say Ake is vastly superior to the player we signed, much better defensively and less prone to lapses. Pretty much exactly as you said. I think last season he was probably our most reliable defender. The best example of just how much he's improved is when we first signed him many on here said we crazy overpaid for an injury prone Championship level player.

Akanji is very good but still error prone, that said in the eyes of Pep he's probably our 1st choice CB (though not mine). As to how much he's improved I can't really say defensively but I'd say going from a rotation option at Dortmund to being 1st choice for one of the top two teams in the world currently, suggest he's certainly got better. On the ball in particular but he's genuinely excellent for us now. He's definitely improved in that aspect.

I always find the cog in the City machine argument lacking in substance. A machine only functions as well as it dodgiest part allows. It's usually "Ah that guy would suck outside Peps system", followed by "Pep is only good cause he was 456 world class players in each position to work with".

Cheers, yeah that's exactly I had thought of Ake and was shocked at the transfer and fee but fair play he's grown a lot.

As for Akanji, I'll keep an eye on his quality on the ball. Always thought he was capable but nothing too special.

As for the cog comment, it was more in relation to my original reply which was to basically say 'Akanji looks better than he is compared to a VVD/Pepe-style improvement because his best qualities (decent defensively and capability on the ball) are heightened and weaknesses (defensive lapses) minimised because the quality of the Pep system/domination'. In this particular case, the cog comment works for me because the situations where a defender are exposed in a City team are definitely way less compared to other teams. It doesn't detract from the quality of the players because you still need to good in passing and covering large areas (channels and counter attackers) etc.

Cheers, yeah that's exactly I had thought of Ake and was shocked at the transfer and fee but fair play he's grown a lot.

As for Akanji, I'll keep an eye on his quality on the ball. Always thought he was capable but nothing too special.

As for the cog comment, it was more in relation to my original reply which was to basically say 'Akanji looks better than he is compared to a VVD/Pepe-style improvement because his best qualities (decent defensively and capability on the ball) are heightened and weaknesses (defensive lapses) minimised because the quality of the Pep system/domination'. In this particular case, the cog comment works for me because the situations where a defender are exposed in a City team are definitely way less compared to other teams. It doesn't detract from the quality of the players because you still need to good in passing and covering large areas (channels and counter attackers) etc.
Oh yeah I wasn't referring to you particularly in the cog comment didn't notice you said that till I saw this reply. But I think its more people use it as a way to put down players. You're again spot on with Akanji as I do absolutely think the City system gets the best out of him, heightens his strengths and somewhat negates his weaknesses. I think in a team that have to defend more than City his lapses and errors would see him take a lot of grief cause he'd cost a lot of points. Doulda been Ralf Ragnick who said he looks a completely different player at City, and a huge chunk of that is Dortmund tended to play far more end to end while he was there than City do.

I don't know what's madder - Newcastle offering £65M for him or Palace rejecting it

Probably Newcastle as in fairness Palace would be hard pressed to replace him with equal quality at this point in the window, even with all that money

Yeah Palace rejecting it could ndicate they arent in favour of the deal structure proposed perhaps. Might be happy with the valuation at this point but not the terms.

Anyone looking to buy Wharton next summer should probably start talking to Palace now if this is anything to go by.

In 2021 Palace turned down a £70m + 2 player offer for Zaha, even though he only had 2 years left on his contract, wasn't willing to extend and was approaching 30 years old. 2 years later he left on a free.

So even though Guehi has only 2 years left on his deal and defenders don't go for the same prices as forwards, I'm not surprised Parish is holding out for such a large amount.

That's a lot of money to turn down, and I don't think Guehi will prove to be worth it in the long run. Newcastle should be looking elsewhere.

I like the the fact that other teams are being charged top dollar for PL players/English players, City and Arsenal shelled out £100m for Grealish and Rice, Spurs paid £65m for Solanke, Palace wants from Newcastle more than £65m for Guehi, other teams now will be taxed the "United tax" for PL players which I am loving so I am happy to see Palace trying to squeeze as much as possible from Newcastle

Yeah, but I think now more than ever teams like Palace are aware of how much it will cost them to replace a player like him properly, they've got to be able to find and bed in a player and the seasons already started.

They have a fairly solid back line, if he goes at this stage of the window they could very easily find themselves without a proper replacement or overpaying for someone themselves and maybe end up getting relegated because of it. In which case that 65m sale ends up costing them much more in the long run.

So they should be asking for as much as possible right now.

Yeah, but I think now more than ever teams like Palace are aware of how much it will cost them to replace a player like him properly, they've got to be able to find and bed in a player and the seasons already started.

They have a fairly solid back line, if he goes at this stage of the window they could very easily find themselves without a proper replacement or overpaying for someone themselves and maybe end up getting relegated because of it. In which case that 65m sale ends up costing them much more in the long run.

So they should be asking for as much as possible right now.

It seems like they're about to loose Andersen too because talks with Fulham are pretty advanced. Having a reliable CB is worth a lot to Palace right now - if they can loose two CBs, they're very quickly back in a relegation fight.

Newcastle in the same situation as us with Antony.

It seems like they're about to loose Andersen too because talks with Fulham are pretty advanced. Having a reliable CB is worth a lot to Palace right now - if they can loose two CBs, they're very quickly back in a relegation fight.

Didn't realise Andersen was on the way out too, all the more reason to keep him or hold out for as much as possible.

If they lost those two, most definitely could see them scrapping in a relegation battle, seeing as they've only really got Holding, Riad and Richards really as centre back options.

I understand Palace aren’t a poor club in terms of finances but turning down £65m cause they are holding out for £70m isn’t the right thing to do. They csn really use that money to improve their team.

We are not going to lose both of them, it’ll be one or the other and we’ll very likely sign Maxence Lacroix from Wolfsburg to replace whichever one goes. If we can get anywhere near the £40m asking price for Joa that’s arguably just as good a deal to do, given his age.

I understand Palace aren’t a poor club in terms of finances but turning down £65m cause they are holding out for £70m isn’t the right thing to do. They csn really use that money to improve their team.

Funny seeing Newcastle get knocked back yet again though, Their fans thought when the Saudi’s came in they’d just start throwing cash around and everyone would be dancing to their tune. It’s certainly not playing out like that though. :)

Funny seeing Newcastle get knocked back yet again though, Their fans thought when the Saudi’s came in they’d just start throwing cash around and everyone would be dancing to their tune. It’s certainly not playing out like that though. :)
Because the reality of PPR woke them up. You can’t just buy your way to success anymore, not in the same way. Some clubs will spend more because they make more but no such thing as an owner spending hundreds of millions out of their own pocket anymore

Because the reality of PPR woke them up. You can’t just buy your way to success anymore, not in the same way. Some clubs will spend more because they make more but no such thing as an owner spending hundreds of millions out of their own pocket anymore
Can't do it like PSG/City back in the old days. Have to be more like Chelsea and sell well, either players or hotels.

It’s like an unwritten rule that no average to decent English player would go for less than £50m. No matter the position no matter the talent or lack of and no matter the contract situation. It’s ridiculous.

Toney - £60m wanted with one year left.
Solanke - £65m
Guehi - £65m-70m fee wanted
Branthwaite - £70m wanted
Archie Gray - £40m for Championship player
Even smith Rowe went for £35m with 2 seasons being injured.
unless they play for us and suddenly they’re only worth chump change

His contract ends in 2026, so this transfer window is their only chance of selling him for the best possible price, this isn’t the smartest of decision by Palace to say the least.

It reminds me of us rejecting £30m for Maguire last year, or we didn’t want to cover for the difference in wages.

£60mil is good money, not sure why CP have rejected that. They would definitely be able to find a suitable replacement for that money.

PL Clubs are laughable. If this guy would play in Italy or Germany he would be worth 20 mil at best.

PL Clubs are laughable. If this guy would play in Italy or Germany he would be worth 20 mil at best.
Really is bizarro land in the Prem when it comes to player valuations.

For present context, the title and double winning captain of the first undefeated side in league history in Germany is only being valued at 30m max this window :lol:.

Arsenal signed one of the best young Italian defenders for 40m and we got a 25 year old with title winning pedigree for 45m.

Those sums would barely get you a starter from a bottom table side in England.

It's mostly because of the homegrown quota, that's why they want him. If Yoro were English they probably would've been all over him too.

It's mostly because of the homegrown quota, that's why they want him. If Yoro were English they probably would've been all over him too.
What's the ruling on homegrown quota? I'd have thought Pope, Trippier, Livramento, Burn, Longstaff, Gordon, Wilson, Hall and Murphy would be plenty enough to pass it.

Edit: forgot Barness, Willock, Kelly and Targett.

Agreed. The wind is definitely not in their sails anymore. I predict another stagnant season under Howe and then their key players like Bruno and Isak wanting away.

What's the ruling on homegrown quota? I'd have thought Pope, Trippier, Livramento, Burn, Longstaff, Gordon, Wilson, Hall and Murphy would be plenty enough to pass it.

Edit: forgot Barness, Willock, Kelly and Targett.
They'll want the flexibility to move a few of those players on down the road though. Trippier could go in this window while Wilson, Burn, Longstaff, Targett, and Murphy might well be in their final seasons at Newcastle. Pope at 32 could even be in question eventually.

They have no issues with the quotas this year, but in a year or two it would be good for them if key players are already in place to meet it. There will be other reasons behind wanting that English core, but long term planning is a big one.

Good player but not worth 70m. The only 2 ultra expensive defenders that were great buys were Rio and Van Dijk

As an outsider looking in, I’m glad this kind of stuff is happening to other clubs because we get grief over our pursuit and subsequent purchase of Maguire so I’m happy some other club eats shit on these types of deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.