Manuel Ugarte | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
People will obviously call for Ugarte because Casemiro has been shite but he's not exactly Paul Scholes, is he? It was clear we needed someone who could pass the fecking ball and ten Hag/INEOS didn't bring that player in.

People will obviously call for Ugarte because Casemiro has been shite but he's not exactly Paul Scholes, is he? It was clear we needed someone who could pass the fecking ball and ten Hag/INEOS didn't bring that player in.
The problem is that Casemiro thinks he is Paul Scholes. If Ugarte is in there keeping it simple then it's 0-0 right now.

For me it looks like Liverpool have more players than us. Faster and better stamina, he'll at least help in that regard.

Not the player a lot here think he is. He’ll give the ball away cheaply just as much as the rest of them.

Not the player a lot here think he is. He’ll give the ball away cheaply just as much as the rest of them.

Exactly. If people think Ugarte is the answer to our prayers then god help us :lol:

So painful watching us trying to play out from the back today, we kept giving the ball away, not sure how its going to be fixed.

To be fair Ugarte is actually great at not losing the ball and safely passing it around, that’s already gonna be a huge improvement. He’s not going to give us any meaningful progression with it but his skillset is still something that we lack.

He'll pass it back to De Ligt/Martinez for them to lose the ball.

Ugarte has one of the highest accuracy for short and medium-range passes, in all of top 5 European leagues. There is no guarantee that he joins and fixes all our problems, but he will be miles better than fecking Casemiro, for sure. No need to make up shit about his passing

NBC in the states just said he didn't even stay and watch the match - he already left for Uruguay.

Seems a bit odd.
He was training yesterday so I’d be surprised. Though it’s an international break now so maybe he’s gone back early to sort things out before that

Not sure how he drew that conclusion.
There was an Athletic article published a few days ago, Laurie Whitwell I think.

Paraphrasing here, from memory, but the gist was that Ten Hag didn't rate Ugarte, wanted to keep McTominay and sign Amrabat. He had to be convinced on Ugarte by the recruitment team. They made him video complilations - which may or may not have been soundtracked by Soundcloud rap and sped-up Lana Del Rey songs - to show him that Ugarte would be a worthwhile signing.

Edit - found the link. I know we're not allowed to quote Athletic content, but if anyone doesn't have a subscription the above summary was basically accurate.

Last edited:
There was an Athletic article published a few days ago, Laurie Whitwell I think.

Paraphrasing here but the gist was that Ten Hag didn't rate Ugarte, wanted to keep McTominay and sign Amrabat. He had to be convinced on Ugarte by the recruitment team. They made him video complilations - which may or may not have been soundtracked by Soundcloud rap and sped-up Lana Del Rey songs - to show him that Ugarte would be a worthwhile signing.

This post gave a real good laugh!

United today had more passes 507 to 464 than Liverpool and pass completion rate was almost the 85% v 84%. Casemiro errors 1st half was clinically punished as was Mainoo 2nd half.

To be fair Ugarte is actually great at not losing the ball and safely passing it around, that’s already gonna be a huge improvement. He’s not going to give us any meaningful progression with it but his skillset is still something that we lack.
I dont think Ugarte solves this issue at all, the problem today was Slott identified the chink in our armour. And then he completely exposed it in front of the world in 2mins.

From the Casemiro thread :

We were trying this 3-1 buildup structure again yesterday, which compeletly isolates Casemiro, and puts the onus of buildup on him. I dont understand why, because it doesnt suit his game at all. Liverpool players hounded him knowing if they could nick it off him, its suddenly a 4v3 or 3v2. Slott admitted it too.

Worrying part is Ugarte wont fix it either, he's no maverick on the ball either. Its a structural issue.

I'm really really worried about our season with ETH in charge. If other managers are listening, this will literally target Ugarte/Casemiro when we are on the ball with 2-3 players, because they have identified our #6 as our weakness in buildup play.

That’s a weird take. You could argue he’s annoyed they didn’t get him in quicker if you just want to rile United fans?
No, the Athletic are also reporting this. Ten Hag isn't keen on Ugarte, he feels like he doesn't fit the system he wants to play, this is a Wilcox/Ashworth signing that Ten Hag pushed back on but they believe is great value and he's an excellent player.

My worry is that ETH’s tactics will make his bedding in time as difficult as possible.

This time last season we were hoping Amrabat was going to come in and suddenly we’d click into being a decent team, this year it’s Ugarte.

I dont think Ugarte solves this issue at all, the problem today was Slott identified the chink in our armour. And then he completely exposed it in front of the world in 2mins.

From the Casemiro thread :

I'm really really worried about our season with ETH in charge. If other managers are listening, this will literally target Ugarte/Casemiro when we are on the ball with 2-3 players, because they have identified our #6 as our weakness in buildup play.

We need to improve our long balls, physicality and counter threat like them to overcome this problem.

Liverpool were using a similar build up and had similar problems with the press at some points when they took too long on the ball but we couldn't score, they were generally much more efficient at getting the ball forward with long passes and caused our press to break down after a short adjustment because Zirkzee was off the pace, and mobility and physicality in midfield meant Liverpool meant they won the duels.

Lastly, Salah killed us. Every time we have them the ball high up the pitch he created a goal. Compare that to our attackers who weren't assertive and lacked quality on the ball

you're going to lose football matches with that disadvantage.

It sucks to lose to a hated rival but they have been doing this for the best part of a decade now, this is their game, it's our third season playing this football and half of those seasons it was abandoned because of fitness and squad incompatibility.

ETH might well not be the guy, but expect to see the 3-1-6, 3-2-5 & 2-3-5 build up structures from any manager we recruit next too

Status
Not open for further replies.