Manuel Ugarte | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Ugarte thread that was closed an important discussion had emerged but was cut short. We could have and should have brought in Ugarte earlier in the summer so that we would have been ready for the new season. Even if it Brant selling McTominay for 5m less and paying 10m more for Ugarte.

The hole at CDM is catastrophic. Of course it’s still early in the new season but we’re facing the prospect of the manager being sacked and another season lost as we scramble to climb back into the top 6. We should have been competing for the top 4, if not perhaps taking a sniff at second or third.
That suggest that if we'd have brought him in earlier we'd have beaten Brighton and Liverpool.

Ugarte is going to have nowhere near the impact on our results that people think in this terrible system. Adding one player won't fix the mess.

That suggest that if we'd have brought him in earlier we'd have beaten Brighton and Liverpool.

Ugarte is going to have nowhere near the impact on our results that people think in this terrible system. Adding one player won't fix the mess.
Agree on Brighton, still can't believe how we (he, mainly) lost the plot and killed off our momentum after the Zirkzee offside.

You could argue the game yesterday was tipped by Casemiro getting targeted so may have been different... I reckon he would have started Casemiro anyway and the difference would have been seeing Ugarte and not Collyer in the second half. Much of a muchness points-wise.

In the Ugarte thread that was closed an important discussion had emerged but was cut short. We could have and should have brought in Ugarte earlier in the summer so that we would have been ready for the new season. Even if it Brant selling McTominay for 5m less and paying 10m more for Ugarte.

The hole at CDM is catastrophic. Of course it’s still early in the new season but we’re facing the prospect of the manager being sacked and another season lost as we scramble to climb back into the top 6. We should have been competing for the top 4, if not perhaps taking a sniff at second or third.

Firstly they wanted 10m more for Ugarte at the start of the summer. Secondly, we couldn’t risk PSR fines and docked points if a McTominay transfer failed to materialise or fell through.

United today had more passes 507 to 464 than Liverpool and pass completion rate was almost the 85% v 84%. Casemiro errors 1st half was clinically punished as was Mainoo 2nd half.

Fair enough. Can't argue with that. Now that I've had a chance to calm down, those three mistakes killed us. Liverpool were also pretty sloppy, at times. Difference is, they had the attack to punish us.

Fair enough. Can't argue with that. Now that I've had a chance to calm down, those three mistakes killed us. Liverpool were also pretty sloppy, at times. Difference is, they had the attack to punish us.

our attack has been pitiful so far this season. Rashford and Bruno pretty much started this season like the worst of last season again. At least Rashford is pretending to look arsed sometimes. Blunt doesn’t even begin to describe it. I actually think at this point and once everyone is fit the manager actually has too many options. Who will he play? Zirkzee or Rasmus? Amad or the other wingers?
Amad created more when he came on than the other lads combined. The manager keeps seeming to shoot himself in the foot playing Rashford game after game even though his record against the big teams is decent he’s been really poor for years now. I’m losing faith in ETH to make the tough calls and drop the big names even when they lose a few on the spin and look low on quality and ideas.

Firstly they wanted 10m more for Ugarte at the start of the summer. Secondly, we couldn’t risk PSR fines and docked points if a McTominay transfer failed to materialise or fell through.

That’s right, 10m more for Ugarte than we ultimately paid for him. We were always going to sell McTominay.

The question remains…was it worth 10m of money saved by the Glazers to get off to such a shambolic start to the season?

Some would say no.

That’s right, 10m more for Ugarte than we ultimately paid for him. We were always going to sell McTominay.

The question remains…was it worth 10m of money saved by the Glazers to get off to such a shambolic start to the season?

Some would say no.
So we're going to win every game because we've got Ugarte now?

Some would say no.
I’m glad you’re not running our club, that’s for sure.

The fact that he's not a Ten Hag signing actually makes me more optimistic about his future.

I’m glad you’re not running our club, that’s for sure.

You must be thrilled that we’re in 14th place with no realistic hope of landing top four. After all, the Glazers really needed the extra 10m they saved by waiting until the last possible moment to close the deal on Ugarte.

Success on the pitch is overrated these days, if you really think about it, right?

You must be thrilled that we’re in 14th place with no realistic hope of landing top four. After all, the Glazers really needed the extra 10m they saved by waiting until the last possible moment to close the deal on Ugarte.

Success on the pitch is overrated these days, if you really think about it, right?
Nothing to do with the Glazers.

Yea, sorry, although beating Liverpool in the third match of the season would have been neat and all, I wouldn’t be forking out an extra 10m for that either, even if I had 10b in my back pocket and even if I knew that win was guaranteed as a result, so I can’t blame the owners or anyone else for trying to get a better deal.

20 bucks is 20 bucks and 10 million bucks is, well, a lot of money.
Money doesn’t grow on trees and a football club even as big as United, is in the global scheme of things, a small business, this isn’t Nvidia or Microsoft man, we keep wasting money like we’ve had for the last decade we’ll go broke within the next.

Not to mention, Ugarte was realistically not going to make a whole lot of difference, we haven’t signed 22 year old Leo Messi here.

We’re just not very good, it doesn’t boil down to one or two specific players, in specific roles, we’re shite all throughout the pitch as well as the dugout.
Liverpool were much better, in every possible aspect of the game of football.

Last edited:
He'll be exposed by Ten Hag's system just like Casemiro. I think he'll be brilliant under our next manager though if we get the appointment right.

This team has lacked an engine since Fred left. Casemiros first season as a box to box was excellent in parts but he’s been bad for longer now. I think Ugarte comes in boots a few people up in the air, enables Mainoo and we get the blood up and things will happen that bit faster. That’s the hope anyway. Ugarte is a monster but he’s coming from easier leagues so there’s always the chance he doesn’t click but he looks tailer made for the PL. whatever happens we need to keep up this level of squad turnover until we crack the code and find a few really top players again. That’s the only way.

The tweet is a bit disingenuous. He said a month not months. Months makes it sound like he didn't want the player and is already making an excuse to not play him for a long time. 'Month' means that he'll be ready to start games by the end of September/start of October.

Gets to play 2 matches over the next week for Uruguay which should help greatly to get him match fit. He's already completed pre-season as far as I'm aware. All that's mostly left is getting up to speed in the PL and to the role Ten Hag wants him to play.

I just read ETH’s comments. He really said it will take weeks, maybe MONTHS, for Ugarte to build up his fitness :lol:
If anyone needs months to build fitness I think they're generally fecked. Let alone a pro football player.

The fact that he's not a Ten Hag signing actually makes me more optimistic about his future.
Except ETH is really stubborn with his team selection. If he really didn’t want Ugarte, he will probably find some excuse to not start him for a while.

Harry Potter isn't particularly known for his predictive abilities. Instead, he often finds himself reacting to events rather than anticipating them. So he is Harry Potter.
Also, any success Harry Potter has is often down to other characters doing most of the work, or some kind of coincidence.

Some would say no.
Having Ugarte cannot and should not be the reason for our shitty start. That is too easy

Having Ugarte cannot and should not be the reason for our shitty start. That is too easy

I agree with that. Ugarte is no Jesus Christ of football. And beyond that, we have a problem born at keeper and no 9, and Rashford has collapsed into shadow of his former self…and many would consider that a generous characterization.

But Ugarte was brought in as the Casemiro replacement and Casemiro was beyond horrific v Liverpool, who scored two goals in the first half off two Casemiro blunders. No one can guarantee that Ugarte would not have made the same mistakes but I will work off the assumption that we won’t be muscled off the ball and that he doesn’t make that horror pass.

I’ll put my raincoat now but I actually thought we managed pool fairly well until Casemiro gifted pool the two goals.

And Ugarte would have given us a spine against Brighton, just maybe by sensing the danger at the back post in stoppage time.

Perhaps I’m giving Ugarte too much credit, but he comes to us so highly rated I cannot believe he is, as they say in Texas, all hat and no cattle. He has to be a significant upgrade on Casemiro at 6, a position we have inexplicably refused to address since Carrick.

Also, any success Harry Potter has is often down to other characters doing most of the work, or some kind of coincidence.

Like in the film when Harry gets 10 points for Gryffindor by defeating a troll through "sheer dumb luck" as so eloquently put by Professor McGonagall...

Just change the word film for upcoming fixtures, Harry for Erik, Gryffindor for the league & troll for our next 4 opponents, keep the Professor McGonagall bit because it's still fantasy.

Except ETH is really stubborn with his team selection. If he really didn’t want Ugarte, he will probably find some excuse to not start him for a while.
Think he already gave that excuse, saying it will take weeks even months to get him up to speed. An unacceptable excuse in my opinion

Yea, sorry, although beating Liverpool in the third match of the season would have been neat and all, I wouldn’t be forking out an extra 10m for that either, even if I had 10b in my back pocket and even if I knew that win was guaranteed as a result, so I can’t blame the owners or anyone else for trying to get a better deal.

20 bucks is 20 bucks and 10 million bucks is, well, a lot of money.
Money doesn’t grow on trees and a football club even as big as United, is in the global scheme of things, a small business, this isn’t Nvidia or Microsoft man, we keep wasting money like we’ve had for the last decade we’ll go broke within the next.

Not to mention, Ugarte was realistically not going to make a whole lot of difference, we haven’t signed 22 year old Leo Messi here.

We’re just not very good, it doesn’t boil down to one or two specific players, in specific roles, we’re shite all throughout the pitch as well as the dugout.
Liverpool were much better, in every possible aspect of the game of football.

There’s also the defeat to Brighton. And Fulham were not far off from getting the draw off us.

Money does not grow on trees, very true. But cliches won’t get us very far in assessing whether the squad was ready for the new season when the season began.

Not a single poster on the caf would argue that we were ready for the new season. We’re on three points after three matches, confidence is shot, and the manager is already an international laughing stock at grave risk of being sacked in October.

A proper counter to that is that the 10m we saved in delaying the deal for Ugarte was money well saved. After all, even with Ugarte Liverpool are the better side, but my counter to that counter is that with Ugarte we’ve got a puncher’s chance at beating Liverpool. Not a great chance, but no chance do we lose that match 0-3.

But it’s not just one match. It’s three matches. And the players go into the international break with confidence, not dread. We go into tough upcoming fixtures the favorites. Defeats become a surprise, not what we expect. Falling out of the top four yet again is disastrous. The manager gets sacked in mid season. Our ability to attract talent next summer further deteriorates.

Was this all worth saving 10m? If Ugarte really is all that, and we will only know when we see him any, but if he is all that the answer is clearly no.

He'll be exposed by Ten Hag's system just like Casemiro. I think he'll be brilliant under our next manager though if we get the appointment right.

Yeah hopefully that appointment isn't far away, would be worried about making Ruud interim though

Yeah hopefully that appointment isn't far away, would be worried about making Ruud interim though
I don’t understand the no Ruud talk. Was Ole expected to do better than Mou in what he did in those first six months? With ETH we clearly won’t make the top 7. So what’s the argument against Ruud? Is he going to be so bad that we will be a relegation battle? If ETH is here all season then Europe is out then why does it matter where you finish?

There’s also the defeat to Brighton. And Fulham were not far off from getting the draw off us.

Money does not grow on trees, very true. But cliches won’t get us very far in assessing whether the squad was ready for the new season when the season began.

Not a single poster on the caf would argue that we were ready for the new season. We’re on three points after three matches, confidence is shot, and the manager is already an international laughing stock at grave risk of being sacked in October.

A proper counter to that is that the 10m we saved in delaying the deal for Ugarte was money well saved. After all, even with Ugarte Liverpool are the better side, but my counter to that counter is that with Ugarte we’ve got a puncher’s chance at beating Liverpool. Not a great chance, but no chance do we lose that match 0-3.

But it’s not just one match. It’s three matches. And the players go into the international break with confidence, not dread. We go into tough upcoming fixtures the favorites. Defeats become a surprise, not what we expect. Falling out of the top four yet again is disastrous. The manager gets sacked in mid season. Our ability to attract talent next summer further deteriorates.

Was this all worth saving 10m? If Ugarte really is all that, and we will only know when we see him any, but if he is all that the answer is clearly no.

Think we would be more attractive if the team is playing a better brand of football, worrying about sacking a manager mid season in case it effects ability to attract future players is nuts

I don’t understand the no Ruud talk. Was Ole expected to do better than Mou in what he did in those first six months? With ETH we clearly won’t make the top 7. So what’s the argument against Ruud? Is he going to be so bad that we will be a relegation battle? If ETH is here all season then Europe is out then why does it matter where you finish?

Personally I wouldn't want the guy put into a high pressurised managerial situation so early in his career, look maybe he could flourish given the opportunity but feel it needs more experience

Ugarte isn't going to make much of a difference since the position already filled by Mainoo and Casemiro.

It's a tall order for anyone to be able to replace Casemiro, 5 x champ league winners.

United will struggle to make top 7.

Ugarte isn't going to make much of a difference since the position already filled by Mainoo and Casemiro.

It's a tall order for anyone to be able to replace Casemiro, 5 x champ league winners.

United will struggle to make top 7.
Ye except ones 23 years old and the other is 32. One has the legs, the other one doesn’t. One can dribble, the other one can’t. What he’s done in the past is irrelevant, it’s all about what they can do now.

Been watching a good few videos of him, I've only ever seen him in bits and pieces of PSG games and he's never really been a standout player.

He seems, tidy on the ball, good at shielding and turning into space, decent passer and he can actually run with and without the ball.

My biggest concern would be his slide tackles, he likes them, seen quite a few of them he's coming in a bit rash and with the PL being faster than Ligue 1, I can see him picking up a fair few cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.