Manuel Ugarte | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, I remember that. That was in the sixth round of the FA Cup. Anderson’s best performance for me would be the 4-1 win over Schalke in the Champions League semi-finals later that season, in which he scored 2 goals.
Yes, I remember that too.... Anderson was definitely one of those players of who it could be said "when he was good he was very very good and when he was bad, he was awful"

Thanks for the correction. I always thought it was around 2008- 2010.
We had to move out of our family stand seats for some reason and finished up watching from eye-level in the South Stand

Aye. The cup match with Rafael and Fabio was in 2011 whereas the aforementioned shitting took place, albeit also in a cup match, way back in 2008 :D

Just not true - he tries 5 long balls/90 which is quite a lot (and completes about 85% of them which is exceptional).
Hmm when I watched one of these statistic reviews they said 1-2 a match.

I don't think he'll start vs Southampton simply because Uruguay next play 11pm UK time on Tuesday. Factor in travelling, hes not going to get chance to train much with the team before the game.
Yeah, never expected more tgan 10-15 minutes there, if that.

Barnsley EFL is a good opportunity to build fitness/integrate him.

Hmm when I watched one of these statistic reviews they said 1-2 a match.
That's probably the number that are really penetrative forward passes, rather than long sideways passes to fullbacks to be fair. So there's probably some truth in what we're both saying. He's not gonna be Scholes/Kroos, that's for sure.

It also buys him more time. If he doesn’t play him, he has the excuse that things will turn around once he integrates him into the team, and people will absolutely buy it.
The hope has to be we can beat Southampton no matter who we play, simply because they're so bad. In that case, sure, work Ugarte in slowly against them and Barnsley.

But look, from a job preservation standpoint if we lose/draw that game ETH is in big trouble. The next three PL games after are @ Palace, vs Spurs, @ Aston Villa, and then the second international break. If we are something like 2-2-3 and sitting 14th in the league table going into that break he could well be fired.

From this standpoint Southampton is actually a vhigh leverage game. They're so bad the optics will be terrible if we lose (will also be three losses in a row), and the next three opponents are much tougher so we may completely fall out of a respectable position in the league table.

Were I him, I'd be doing whatever I can to win that game. It helps ensure we'll look decent enough from a points perspective for awhile, and keeps us from a string of bad PL outcomes that likely drastically increase the pressure to fire him. The Barnsley/Twente games don't have the same dynamics, and losing any of the next few PL games is more forgivable if we've won at Southampton.

Reactions: Invictus
Except for the game against Arsenal when he 's**t on Fabregas,' with a little help from the de Silva twins Fabio and Rafael (FA cup 4 or 5th round, at OT).:lol:
8-2 break it to you, but he was also a lynchpin in this result too :lol:

Never really lived up to the hype, but gave us some great moments:drool:

We’re so jaded it’s funny how we are still so uncertain about this. He’s a genuinely world class player in his position who is consistently one of if not the top performer for his nation too. He’s not gonna be the expressive playmaker we also need but he absolutely IS going to be a massive upgrade. What we need to do is not get on his back if that’s not immediately - hell it may not even be this season or with this manager because there’s a lot that’s broken currently. As a clubs signing for where we want to go, he’s perfect
I want to believe fans are starting to realise a lot of our problems probably lie more with the "system" than the individual players.

I mean every so often the likes of Casemiro and Rashford (seems like every game with him) would drop an absolute stinker that can't be defended, but I think it's becoming clear that for the most part, there are structural issues with the way we play, and digging individual players out isn't the answer here.

I doubt he starts any of the next 3-4 games. The coach himself said it will take many weeks, months.
Which is ridiculous really. He’s fit enough to start for Uruguay and put in MOTM performances. ETH is going to get himself sacked before Ugarte plays for him.

Which is ridiculous really. He’s fit enough to start for Uruguay and put in MOTM performances. ETH is going to get himself sacked before Ugarte plays for him.

He's not been eligible to play for us yet and apparently that's the manager's fault, the fecking drama from you lot.

Don't get me wrong, Ten Hag needs to step it up but there's no point making every game a fecking soap opera just because the rags say it is.

He's not been eligible to play for us yet and apparently that's the manager's fault, the fecking drama from you lot.

Don't get me wrong, Ten Hag needs to step it up but there's no point making every game a fecking soap opera just because the rags say it is.
What you on about. ETH said it could take months for him to get fit :lol: Why you trying to defend that? He’s fit enough to play for Uruguay so he’s fit enough to play for us. End of! Don’t sign upgraded players to then not play them until like the 3rd/4th game

I think fans need to manage their expectations of Ugarte and how much better he would make our team.

Casemiro has better forward passing, shooting and aerial ability in attack or in the midfield and set piece duels.

Ugarte has clearly got more legs and safer passing. I don't know how useful the safer passing will be when Ten Hag mainly wants the CDM to play forward quickly.

One area where Ugarte can also match Casemiro is with his passes out wide as both are closely matched in that regard.

I would believe that Ugarte isn't a Ten Hag signing as he is nothing like De Jong/Rodri/Neves who are the types of CDMs that a possession based side would ideally have. There's a reason PSG upgraded with Neves after one season of Ugarte and it was because they want more forward ball playing and playmaking from the CDM.

I think we have to hope that Ugartes skillset more suits the Premier League and the upgrade on Casemiro's legs is enough to make us more solid defensively. I don't think it will necessarily make us better as a team looking for more control of the ball, or better in attack. But if it makes us more defensively solid it might be a step in the right direction overall.

I believe this signing is just as much to do with Casemiro's contract and high wages than it is getting a better player than him. Ugarte is going to have to cope with the same challenge that Casemiro has to deal with, of being asked to play forward, and play forward quickly. I'm not so sure he's that good overall.

I'm hoping he can plug the gaps defensively better and use his good long range passing to get the ball to the wide players. I think we'd all settle for that right now, but anyone expecting or wanting a player that can do it all, in terms of tackle, run, assist and score should probably lower their expectations.

What you on about. ETH said it could take months for him to get fit :lol: Why you trying to defend that? He’s fit enough to play for Uruguay so he’s fit enough to play for us. End of! Don’t sign upgraded players to then not play them until like the 3rd/4th game

I mean he's probably going to play in the first game he's eligible for, although possibly off the bench, and that you're being a hysterical turd?

I mean he's probably going to play in the first game he's eligible for, although possibly off the bench, and that you're being a hysterical turd?
Are you surprised from that poster? Mostly hysterical, incoherent tripe

Don’t be so harsh on your self. Your not that bad

I think fans need to manage their expectations of Ugarte and how much better he would make our team.

Casemiro has better forward passing, shooting and aerial ability in attack or in the midfield and set piece duels.

Ugarte has clearly got more legs and safer passing. I don't know how useful the safer passing will be when Ten Hag mainly wants the CDM to play forward quickly.

One area where Ugarte can also match Casemiro is with his passes out wide as both are closely matched in that regard.

I would believe that Ugarte isn't a Ten Hag signing as he is nothing like De Jong/Rodri/Neves who are the types of CDMs that a possession based side would ideally have. There's a reason PSG upgraded with Neves after one season of Ugarte and it was because they want more forward ball playing and playmaking from the CDM.

I think we have to hope that Ugartes skillset more suits the Premier League and the upgrade on Casemiro's legs is enough to make us more solid defensively. I don't think it will necessarily make us better as a team looking for more control of the ball, or better in attack. But if it makes us more defensively solid it might be a step in the right direction overall.

I believe this signing is just as much to do with Casemiro's contract and high wages than it is getting a better player than him. Ugarte is going to have to cope with the same challenge that Casemiro has to deal with, of being asked to play forward, and play forward quickly. I'm not so sure he's that good overall.

I'm hoping he can plug the gaps defensively better and use his good long range passing to get the ball to the wide players. I think we'd all settle for that right now, but anyone expecting or wanting a player that can do it all, in terms of tackle, run, assist and score should probably lower their expectations.
I think people know what we are getting and its lunacy to expect Casemiro or Ugarte to play as expansively as a Scholes/Carrick/Rodri would. Yes Casemiro does have surprisingly good if not consistent passing which is why Madrid never demanded that of him. We are expecting him to play like Kroos and act shocked when he can't. Madness.

He isn't really fit. Uruguay had its two creative AMs injured and six others suspended so he was always starting.

It looked every bit like a first game of preseason and Bielsa taking him off was very much managing his fitness thinking about the tougher Venezuela game coming next (which will be a car crash as well).

He isn't really fit. Uruguay had its two creative AMs injured and six others suspended so he was always starting.

It looked every bit like a first game of preseason and Bielsa taking him off was very much managing his fitness thinking about the tougher Venezuela game coming next (which will be a car crash as well).
He lasted about 80 mins though. And was one of the highest rated players on the pitch. Not bad for an unfit player.

He lasted about 80 mins though. And was one of the highest rated players on the pitch. Not bad for an unfit player.
I painfully watched the full game. It was the worst Paraguay team in decades looking better than the worst Uruguay side in decades.

Suffice to say I was glad he didn't get chucked in on Sunday even after Casemiro laid the ground for virtually anyone to look like the second coming of Rodri.

It makes me nervous seeing this thread bumped, as I'm always expecting to see an update that he's been injured, and is now out for weeks.

I said ‘proper’ I’d say that’s more slang
Now therefore swear unto me here by God that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son: but according to the kindness that I have done unto thee, thou shalt do unto me, and to the land wherein thou hast sojourned.
(Genesis 21:23)

They're big on slang in the fecking King James Bible, of course. :lol:

Now therefore swear unto me here by God that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son: but according to the kindness that I have done unto thee, thou shalt do unto me, and to the land wherein thou hast sojourned.
(Genesis 21:23)

They're big on slang in the fecking King James Bible, of course. :lol:
Not sure if Lebron is the best source for proper English

Status
Not open for further replies.