Manuel Ugarte | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think fans need to manage their expectations of Ugarte and how much better he would make our team.

Casemiro has better forward passing, shooting and aerial ability in attack or in the midfield and set piece duels.

Ugarte has clearly got more legs and safer passing. I don't know how useful the safer passing will be when Ten Hag mainly wants the CDM to play forward quickly.

One area where Ugarte can also match Casemiro is with his passes out wide as both are closely matched in that regard.

I would believe that Ugarte isn't a Ten Hag signing as he is nothing like De Jong/Rodri/Neves who are the types of CDMs that a possession based side would ideally have. There's a reason PSG upgraded with Neves after one season of Ugarte and it was because they want more forward ball playing and playmaking from the CDM.

I think we have to hope that Ugartes skillset more suits the Premier League and the upgrade on Casemiro's legs is enough to make us more solid defensively. I don't think it will necessarily make us better as a team looking for more control of the ball, or better in attack. But if it makes us more defensively solid it might be a step in the right direction overall.

I believe this signing is just as much to do with Casemiro's contract and high wages than it is getting a better player than him. Ugarte is going to have to cope with the same challenge that Casemiro has to deal with, of being asked to play forward, and play forward quickly. I'm not so sure he's that good overall.

I'm hoping he can plug the gaps defensively better and use his good long range passing to get the ball to the wide players. I think we'd all settle for that right now, but anyone expecting or wanting a player that can do it all, in terms of tackle, run, assist and score should probably lower their expectations.

So who is that CDM capable of playing that way, like others have said I am aware he will never be that kind of player but can plug gaps

fecking hell, lads. You guys are having a bit of a mare

You're not kidding. Lads the word 'nor' is neither slang nor peasant slang. In fact I'm pretty sure that your posts have neither the nous nor the knowledge to back up your ridiculous assertions. When you dig yourself a hole so big you can't get out of it, that's called a grave. Give it up already :lol:

bet he's wishing he had a MIB neuralyzer, but at least he deleted the posts :lol: fair play

Now therefore swear unto me here by God that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son: but according to the kindness that I have done unto thee, thou shalt do unto me, and to the land wherein thou hast sojourned.
(Genesis 21:23)

They're big on slang in the fecking King James Bible, of course. :lol:
King James was a peasant

So who is that CDM capable of playing that way, like others have said I am aware he will never be that kind of player but can plug gaps
I wish I knew, but atleast we have better people in charge of scouting and recruitment to find the next Rodri or Fabinho.

They've gone for Ugarte and Kone for CDM this window and they're quite similar in style. Both quite tenacious, mobile and capable of switching the play which is a key thing Ten Hag wants from the CDM.

Time will tell how well they work out, but it's probably a better decision than paying the 60m we did for a 29 year old Casemiro on the long term contract.

Fingers crossed that they're both huge successes in the coming seasons.

I wish I knew, but atleast we have better people in charge of scouting and recruitment to find the next Rodri or Fabinho.

They've gone for Ugarte and Kone for CDM this window and they're quite similar in style. Both quite tenacious, mobile and capable of switching the play which is a key thing Ten Hag wants from the CDM.

Time will tell how well they work out, but it's probably a better decision than paying the 60m we did for a 29 year old Casemiro on the long term contract.

Fingers crossed that they're both huge successes in the coming seasons.

Yeah hopefully the scouts and recruitment team can work together to unearth a gem capable of being that deep lying playmaker role we badly need

Last edited:
As I'm sure you all know, Ugarte was a villain in the Hollywood classic Casablanca and close friend of Rick, the Humphrey Bogart character. Ugarte acquired a pair of Gestapo issued safe passes which allowed the holder to travel anywhere within German occupied Europe without question. He gave these passes to Bogart for safekeeping which formed the basis of the plot.

To honour our new midfield legend we should pay tribute to his previous incarnation as a movie star by singing the best remembered part of the film when he graces Old Trafford.

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Smiling faces I can see
But not for me
I sit and watch
As tears go by

As I'm sure you all know, Ugarte was a villain in the Hollywood classic Casablanca and close friend of Rick, the Humphrey Bogart character. Ugarte acquired a pair of Gestapo issued safe passes which allowed the holder to travel anywhere within German occupied Europe without question. He gave these passes to Bogart for safekeeping which formed the basis of the plot.

To honour our new midfield legend we should pay tribute to his previous incarnation as a movie star by singing the best remembered part of the film when he graces Old Trafford.

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Smiling faces I can see
But not for me
I sit and watch
As tears go by

You must remember this:
We've got a terrible injury list
And he's implementing his style.
We're the second-most successful team,
Give Ten Hag more time.

Uguarte's just gone through
The back of their number 2
And Ten Hag lets out a sigh
He's gone over the ball again,
Studs up and thigh-high

You must remember this:
We've got a terrible injury list
And he's implementing his style.
We're the second-most successful team,
Give Ten Hag more time.

Uguarte's just gone through
The back of their number 2
And Ten Hag lets out a sigh
He's gone over the ball again,
Studs up and thigh-high

.Never knew Casablanca had a sequel, play it again Pal.

I was trying to be generous. Think I might have been the only person to have his name on a jersey.......
I was a massive Ando fan! Not enough to get a jersey as I just don't generally do that any more.

So he's played 79 and 90 mins in both of Uruguays matches this week.

Got one of the highest ratings in both matches, he should atleast feature this weekend, but will he start?

Early kick-off time on Saturday will make it hard for him to travel back and be ready in time for the match this weekend.

But it would be great to have him on the bench.

Which will help us maintain possession. Unlike Casemiro who whacks it first time every time he receives the ball without actually aiming for anyone. I seen a clip earlier with Ugarte doing long balls out to the wide men. When he hits them he does it quite accurately
Do you actually think this is something Casemiro is doing as his own free will? Also, we don't maintain possession by design so not sure about that part.
Which is ridiculous really. He’s fit enough to start for Uruguay and put in MOTM performances. ETH is going to get himself sacked before Ugarte plays for him.
It is pretty unusual for DM to get MOTM. Are we sure this is not United fans getting excited and voting for Ugarte?

So he's played 79 and 90 mins in both of Uruguays matches this week.

Got one of the highest ratings in both matches, he should atleast feature this weekend, but will he start?
He will come off with 10 mins to go for Casemiro.

Ten Hag will say something about getting used to his tactics.

It is pretty unusual for DM to get MOTM. Are we sure this is not United fans getting excited and voting for Ugarte?
In 0-0 games or 1-0 games it can happen quite a bit. DM usually see a lot of the ball but also do a lot of the defensive work.

Isn't Martinez and Garnacho in the same boat? Pretty sure they'll start
They haven't been sat around at a club waiting for a transfer and so not getting any game time at club level this season. So it's not the same boat, no. They've all got the South American travel to contend with (though Garnacho only made one sub appearance so less game time to recover from) - but they went there already match fit, whereas Ugarte is still building up that having missed pre / early season at club level.

If we had a competent alternative, I'd say the sensible thing from his fitness point of view would be not to ask him to make another start so soon. We may be in a position to do so out of desperation, but I don't think that's ideal and he'd be better only making a sub appearance so soon after his first starts of the season in the internationals.

They haven't been sat around at a club waiting for a transfer and so not getting any game time at club level this season. So it's not the same boat, no. They've all got the South American travel to contend with (though Garnacho only made one sub appearance so less game time to recover from) - but they went there already match fit, whereas Ugarte is still building up that having missed pre / early season at club level.

If we had a competent alternative, I'd say the sensible thing from his fitness point of view would be not to ask him to make another start so soon. We may be in a position to do so out of desperation, but I don't think that's ideal and he'd be better only making a sub appearance so soon after his first starts of the season in the internationals.

The post I replied to referred to the travel and early kick off specifically. He's obviously not 100% match fit, but I don't think the travelling from South America rules him out, as Garnacho and Martinez will have the same recovery time in between games. Luckily it's Southampton, so I expect to see him play 30-25 minutes off the bench (unless we're chasing the game).

In Ten Hag's system he is not going to make any meaningful difference. No midfielder can succeed in this suicidal system. So nobody should jump on him if there is no improvement in performances. He can only be judged under a manager who is fit to manage at PL level.

If he doesn't score a hattrick and celebrate it by singing his national anthem backwards on his debut I think it's fair to say INEOS is just the same as Glaziers when it comes into football badness and it's too late now because they didn't sack the manager. I'm going to be realistic rather than putting so much expectations on him. His level should be about 25 years old Scholes minus the thunderbolt shooting, that he lacks, which he makes up by having the chest control of Fellaini.

He looks a very fit player. Can play for a full 90 without any injuries. Be decent to have a player we can rely on to play week after week, especially in that position.

In Ten Hag's system he is not going to make any meaningful difference. No midfielder can succeed in this suicidal system. So nobody should jump on him if there is no improvement in performances. He can only be judged under a manager who is fit to manage at PL level.
The system we've used this season hasn't been as bad as the shit-show we had last season. It's still too early to know for sure, and it's been quite inconsistent with moments where it definitely has been as bad, but I'm hopeful that ETH has improved it a bit. If he has, then maybe Ugarte coming in as well will be enough to make a decent difference.

If ETH does just continue exactly the same as last season then yeah, Ugarte won't make much difference.

He will come off with 10 mins to go for Casemiro.

Ten Hag will say something about getting used to his tactics.

We'll be winning 2-1, sitting back and letting Southampton have the ball without causing us too many problems. Ugarte will be pressing and hassling. ETH will replace him with Case and Southampton will start looking dangerous in and around our box. Case will make a clumsy foul in the 94th minute, we'll clear the initial free kick then they'll equalise from a cut back. 2-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.