Manuel Ugarte | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching a good few videos of him, I've only ever seen him in bits and pieces of PSG games and he's never really been a standout player.

He seems, tidy on the ball, good at shielding and turning into space, decent passer and he can actually run with and without the ball.

My biggest concern would be his slide tackles, he likes them, seen quite a few of them he's coming in a bit rash and with the PL being faster than Ligue 1, I can see him picking up a fair few cards.
I'm betting on it, he's gonna be a money spinner for me.

We need to figure out how to play 2 at the back..
So many times yesterday a simple long ball from their GK, had our defenders heading the ball , and somehow we have 1 midfielder only against 4 liverpool defenders ..
How does Pep do it ?

Must be excited to play with Rashy and the ghost of Casemiro.

Think we would be more attractive if the team is playing a better brand of football, worrying about sacking a manager mid season in case it effects ability to attract future players is nuts

Completely agree with that. We’re pretty much fukked either way…keep ETH and keep getting beaten by midtable clubs and hammered by elite clubs, or sack ETH and the new manager has to start a new rebuild of the squad.

The latter is the lesser of two evils.

Completely agree with that. We’re pretty much fukked either way…keep ETH and keep getting beaten by midtable clubs and hammered by elite clubs, or sack ETH and the new manager has to start a new rebuild of the squad.

The latter is the lesser of two evils.
The whole point of the new project is that the team is not manager specific. It may be that the recruitment and scouting team will identify players for managers, but you can expect any incoming manager to manage the squad they are given. It's a brave new world.

What is worrying or rather telling, is ETH saying he may take months to play Ugarte, despite Ugarte saying he is match fit

Seems ETH is still reticent about being "convinced" to sign him and sell McT

Could be a difference maker, not necessarily tackling although that will be important, but if he can land that long ball to Rashford/Garnacho, whoever isn't tracking back at the time that could give United the advantage they need in attack.

Could be a difference maker, not necessarily tackling although that will be important, but if he can land that long ball to Rashford/Garnacho, whoever isn't tracking back at the time that could give United the advantage they need in attack.
Yeah that would be so awesome. Finally a few more long balls.

The tweet is a bit disingenuous. He said a month not months. Months makes it sound like he didn't want the player and is already making an excuse to not play him for a long time. 'Month' means that he'll be ready to start games by the end of September/start of October.
Dalot and Bruno played 90 minutes in the community shield having returned to training about 3 days earlier, and they have started every game since then.

Ugarte has been in training for a lot longer than our players had been when the season started, and now has a further 2 weeks. I'm not really buying this idea that he can't start a game for "weeks", unless he means 2-3 weeks from now which includes the 2 week international break.

He's just a very stubborn man who is set in his way of doing things.

He had €70m Casemiro sat on the bench for ages after signing and De Ligt got very lucky Maguire couldn't clear a basic cross against Brighton or he'd be stuck on the bench too.

If he's playing for Uruguay at 23.00 next Tuesday I think playing against Southampton at 12.30 on the Saturday is impossible given the amount of time he'll have had training with us, jet lag etc.

If he's playing for Uruguay at 23.00 next Tuesday I think playing against Southampton at 12.30 on the Saturday is impossible given the amount of time he'll have had training with us, jet lag etc.

I agree, but we can’t let common sense stop us from slagging off the club/manager! It’s what we do best :devil:

All South Americans deal with this issue. Even if he doesn’t start I feel a late game cameo might be on the cards followed by maybe a midweek start against Barnsley at home.

You gotta fight.
For the Right.
UGARTE

This and the 'Ugarte all the time' suggestion from the chants thread would be belters.

You just know it will be 'oooh Manuel Ugarte, oooh Manuel Ugarte' though...

Let's face it, ETH is going to bed in Ugarte slowly. Very slowly.

Nah. Erik is under a ton of pressure and the midfield is crying out for someone with the required energy. Southampton is likely too early to start him, given the Internationals, but I suspect he'll come on for 30 minutes and from thereon have Bruno-like minutes this season.

I take it Casemiro has not been selected for Brazil, so he should be fresh to play against Southampton.

I agree, but we can’t let common sense stop us from slagging off the club/manager! It’s what we do best :devil:
I know everyone is fecking pissed off and rightly so, but the state of this thread. Too many ignorant posters, writing the biggest load of nonsense ever written on the internet without having slightest idea what they’re talking about, and turning the thread in a rant about Ten Hag.

I can’t really comment about Ugarte because I can’t really recall seeing him play properly, but from the clips I’ve seen he at least seems a good athlete, a bit of a typical Uruguayan warrior. Can’t judge yet if he’s suited for the EPL, but he does seem to have the right physicality for it. Common sense tells me he’ll need time to get up to speed and I would guess he’s some weeks off match fitness in terms of 90 minutes, but I’m not familiar with his fitness levels and mental & physical characteristics.

All South Americans deal with this issue. Even if he doesn’t start I feel a late game cameo might be on the cards followed by maybe a midweek start against Barnsley at home.

Yeah at least put him on the bench

Nah. Erik is under a ton of pressure and the midfield is crying out for someone with the required energy. Southampton is likely too early to start him, given the Internationals, but I suspect he'll come on for 30 minutes and from thereon have Bruno-like minutes this season.

I take it Casemiro has not been selected for Brazil, so he should be fresh to play against Southampton.

Perhaps, but ETH seems pretty stubborn and he did say it may take several months for Ugarte to be ready for first team duty.

Yeah Eth doesn't trust Ugarte. His team needs goals so he would rather play someone who's more likely to score. He can't see long term anymore so he would rather play McTominay and Eriksen.

Yes it’s quite clear from the lack of minutes that Ugarte has played for United that Erik ten Hag does not trust Ugarte God give me strength

If he can cover the ground and retain the ball, that will be a marked improvement over Casemiro, and my god do we need that right now in midfield.

Going to be some pressure on him when he does play , he will not be used to the amount of scrutiny he will be under , but he better get used to it fast as every facet of his game will be poured over by every analyst on paper , social media and TV.

He is coming into a dysfunctional team with many unfairly expecting him to be the silver bullet to fix everything. God help him should he make a mistake that contributes to us conceding in any of his first few games. Hope he is mentally strong as he is going to need to be.

Didn't realise he spoke English so well. It's amazing how players like Licha, Ugarte, even the Portuguese lot speak very good English where it's not their first or even second language in some cases.

I'm totally meh on this atm.
ETH and the Liverpool result kicked any sense of enthusiasm out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.