Manuel Ugarte | Romano - he’s signed | Awaiting Club announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schneiderlin, never seen a player so overawed by the weight of playing for United. Seemed to shrink in confidence. It was like he had imposter syndrome.

He should have been a pure DM, a destroyer with hard tackling and presence, occasional good pass... Instead he tried to play like 38-year-old Scholes. He had an identity crisis imo.

I have some concerns about this signing, and would like a try before you buy, Amrabat type of a deal. While he does solve our immediate problem in the DM position, longer term I would want the club to identify someone in the Carrick, Busquets, or Rodri mould.

Why though? It'll take our spending to ~137M (42M Ugarte, 52M Yoro, 33M Zirkzee). I think we make enough to do that without any outgoings on a normal summer.

When you add in the fact that we're saving on Varane / Martial wages and we sold Greenwood we should really do even more.

EDIT: I guess one consideration is if we're still in for De Ligt. It might be too much to get both De Ligt and Ugarte.
Because the reliable reports have indicated that we'll probably need to resort to the loan market to bring in a midfielder. Untill another significant sale happens, I don't see how that changes.

I think you're correct in saying we'll look to bring in another defender with the money we have.

I have some concerns about this signing, and would like a try before you buy, Amrabat type of a deal. While he does solve our immediate problem in the DM position, longer term I would want the club to identify someone in the Carrick, Busquets, or Rodri mould.

Maybe we are still looking for that type of player too

As much as we need another CB, we also desperately need a CDM in the mould of Ugarte at this stage. Hopefully we can move Casemiro on to free us up the funds for Ugarte while also bringing in a CB

Because the reliable reports have indicated that we'll probably need to resort to the loan market to bring in a midfielder. Untill another significant sale happens, I don't see how that changes.

I think you're correct in saying we'll look to bring in another defender with the money we have.

Yeah that came from Ornstein or Whitwell didn't it

Moving Casemiro on and signing this guy is probably the best business we will do all summer.

The spine of our midfield needs a major reset. Mainoo has been a revelation, we cannot go into the new season without a Casemiro replacement being secured

Yeah that came from Ornstein or Whitwell didn't it
Whitwell, who isn't the most clued on (but he does report some good things too). I feel it was poorly worded because it is clear we aren't only trying to loan in a midfielder but it's one of the options we are exploring.

Is he that good? Seemed to perform well for Country but is it not a worry that PSG want rid?

He had a couple of bad games in the CL and fell out of favour in the 2nd half of the season. It's a bit of a worry as he hardly got on the pitch in the CL after the Newcastle game. A loan with an option would be preferable to see how well he would suit the PL.

I could be wrong but I don’t think there’s anything to stop SJR putting his own money into transfers this summer as another investment towards fully taking over the club? Another 150-250 million and this team is set for years bar a few 50 million tweaks each summer as better than current options emerge and the usual wonderkid punts. Strike while the iron is hot. If they get de Ligt and Ugarte (and hopefully go strong for the likes of Neves and Branthwaite) the spine of the team looks great. We just need more penetration at WB and a bit more real competition in the squad for places at some point down the road. Get them playing together and a good team spirit and we are formidable again.

Can't see PSG letting him go on loan without an obligation.

How can he join the US tour if he played in Copa with Uruguay? Surely he’s taking an extended break.
I think part of the tour agreement is you need to bring the stars and give them some minutes. Otherwise you might as well stay in England and play League One teams instead of embarking on a PR driven campaign halfway around the world.

It was so bizarre. I watched him a lot at Saints and always rated him, I was happy when we signed him. Now he’s one of those “did he really play for them” players. He has two seasons here and I can barely even picture him in the red shirt.
Had two good games against City (a 0-0 at Old Trafford and a 1-0 win away) and nothing else. Seemed like the pressure to perform week to week killed him.

How can he join the US tour if he played in Copa with Uruguay? Surely he’s taking an extended break.
Copa was in the US to be fair, can just extend the holiday. Visa is probably still good for it too.

I could be wrong but I don’t think there’s anything to stop SJR putting his own money into transfers this summer as another investment towards fully taking over the club? Another 150-250 million and this team is set for years bar a few 50 million tweaks each summer as better than current options emerge and the usual wonderkid punts. Strike while the iron is hot. If they get de Ligt and Ugarte (and hopefully go strong for the likes of Neves and Branthwaite) the spine of the team looks great. We just need more penetration at WB and a bit more real competition in the squad for places at some point down the road. Get them playing together and a good team spirit and we are formidable again.
He seems to think there is.

Here comes the United transfer negotiation train destroying everything in its path. Choo choo choo

I expect our new boys to have this sorted by dinner time.

These players are exceedingly rare, and still unless we plan on signing more Spanish like midfielders and hiring Pep we really won't see the maximum benefit of them.

I'd argue some like Ugarte is required regardless of getting a more tidy player.

Err FFP ?

He can put money into developing the grounds, facilities etc... but cannot just throw money at the team, we may however have a new aglet sponsor etc.... although cannot see INEOS throwing money around that way

These players are exceedingly rare, and still unless we plan on signing more Spanish like midfielders and hiring Pep we really won't see the maximum benefit of them.

I'd argue some like Ugarte is required regardless of getting a more tidy player.

These players are indeed rare, but if we can unearth one of these, that will go a long way.

We already have the defense to play more possession oriented football, and with Amad and Zirkzee we should be able to keep hold of the ball in attacking areas better too. A defensive midfielder in the Rodri/Busquets mould will be the glue that will come close to completing this team. We can sign a Bruno replacement next year, someone like Neves, along with an explosive winger to complete the team.

If this is going to happen I hope it's done ASAP and that he does join the preseason tour and gets at least some minutes, because I don't want Casemiro on the pitch on opening day.

Same with de Ligt.

Err FFP ?

He can put money into developing the grounds, facilities etc... but cannot just throw money at the team, we may however have a new aglet sponsor etc.... although cannot see INEOS throwing money around that way

I think the way we are spreading transfer money over the duration of the contract moreso and finally selling fringe players, we won’t have much hassle showing that we are good for it. We just need to get the Glazer debt under control and then we can match any team in the world in the marketplace financially as a self sustaining business. Obviously we have quite a bit of PR to do and to start doing the talking on the pitch but things are definitely looking up. If there’s a loophole or workaround to get us challenging I have faith these guys will find it and use it

Do you know how rare those players are? And Ugarte is much better than Casemiro and Amrabat on the ball.

Is this on a loan then? Or are we hoping to sell later to make up the fee

Is he a starter for PSG. He has no passing range from what I've seen. Reminds me of Schneiderlin.
His passing range is a huge concern for me. Really don't like midfielders who don't have a good vision & passing. He looks like a Fred type all action midfielder to me rather than someone who can control the tempo of the game playing deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.