Manuel Ugarte Uruguay flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He's looks like Phil Neville in midfield, a slower Phil Neville.

He reminds me of Schneiderlin, but worse. I would prefer McT any day instead of Ugarte, IF this is his level.

Basing this off emotion than logic but the guy looks a dud. Has a lot of limitations.

But the midfield has looked wank for ages now, surely someone else can try and have a go at fixing it

This should've been a loan. Strange, was he actually highly rated? Doesn't even look good defensively.

Not by Enrique, PSG or the few on here who actually watched him regularly in France and warned us all that he was an incredibly limited player.

Just a baffling transfer all round.

Short passing : Amrabat was better
Composure: Amrabat was better
Shot: that left foot hip high volley he tried the last game shows both were awful
Physicality: Amrabat was better
Positioning: He’s marginally better

How do we continuously manage to overpay for average players who don’t improve us at all is the single biggest reason why we’re in this mess. Another dud who we’ll struggle to move on.

It's very early days and he's playing under a clueless manager in a disaster of a system, but the signs right now aren't good.

I’ll reserve all opinions until the team is playing better and he has a chance to put a streak of games together first.

Respect to PSG for holding out all that time and getting the fee back but I guess they know the club they're dealing with.

I said at the time we should have signed Sander Berge.

At the very least would have saved us £25m

Looks completely lost, like all our midfield. Still early days, but it doesn't look good. He will need to be supported by a midfield who can control the tempo of the game. Same with with Mainoo. Sadly, we don't have one. Maybe we should try Ugarte, Mainoo and Eriksen when we want to dominate the ball, and when we want to be more aggressive, introduce Case for the danish.

Not easy for a new player making his first start to be thrown into Ten Hag's chaos ball where we rush every attack and give the ball away every 5 seconds and have a million transitions to defend.

The targets for our criticism should be towards experienced players who have been here a while.

New players and young players should be given a chance to bed in before we write them off. It can take time for players to settle down and start playing their best stuff.

He was shite today. Maddison ghosted by him a few times in the first half.

I knew it would only be a couple of games before everyone was shitting on him, and here we are :lol:

He's not looked good so far, but sweet fecking jesus give the guy some time to bed in and get used to a new club and a new league.

Respect to PSG for holding out all that time and getting the fee back but I guess they know the club they're dealing with.
Not a great look for our new setup. Reminds me of the mount deal where the selling club clearly needed to sell but we still ended up paying over the odds

I watched enough of him at PSG to be confident he'll be fine.

"Fine" in this case meaning good enough to start for a top four side, good enough to be a squad player in a title challenging side.

Which is largely what you expect from a €50m midfielder. Same price or less than players like Partey, Palhinha, Ruben Neves, Jorginho, Fred, Matheus Nunes, Lavia, etc. went for in recent years. Most of whom were also older than Ugarte when they made those transfers.

B-tier players at B-tier prices, which is fine.

But he isn't a world-beater, he hasn't had a pre-season, he has to adapt to the PL and he's joined a team heading swiftly towards another manager exit. A manager who has repeatedly said Ugarte will need time to bed in anyway. So him not looking too hot early doors isn't surprising. It is what it is.

The only thing that would concern me is if we replace ETH with a manager similar to Enrique stylistically, because if that's the direction we want to take the style of football then we shouldn't have signed him.

Last edited:
It's very early days and he's playing under a clueless manager in a disaster of a system, but the signs right now aren't good.
Agree - I feel like it’s very hard to actually judge any of the new signings at the moment when the team are being managed in such a farcical way. That said, he’s massively limited on the ball, which I hate in midfielders

We might need to play a disciplined 3 man midfield if Ugarte is to be a permanent player.

An unfit or limited Ugarte, with a young lad in Mainoo that has looked slow and lightweight and worn out Bruno in such poor form giving the ball away was suicide today, we were getting hammered before Bruno was sent off, effectively no midfield yet again.

We looked quite a bit more solid when Casemiro came on. It’s hard to know who or what exactly is the problem at this stage but the manager has to take some major blame at this point. The heat is majorly rising on him again.

Ugarte I thought was really promising in the first match against Southampton as a sub. He won almost every challenge he went into. Barnsley was loose first half but he was good in the second and his tackle and pass was key for a goal. He’s been really poor since. We definitely need to tighten it up but we also look so predictable going forward. It’s a massive mess that one player ain’t going to fix on his own

Short passing : Amrabat was better
Composure: Amrabat was better
Shot: that left foot hip high volley he tried the last game shows both were awful
Physicality: Amrabat was better
Positioning: He’s marginally better

How do we continuously manage to overpay for average players who don’t improve us at all is the single biggest reason why we’re in this mess. Another dud who we’ll struggle to move on.

Complete nonsense.

He is in the middle of steep learning curve going up against quicker players than he's used to most likely with Spurs breaking very fast and strong enough to ride some of his challenges, but Amrabat struggled even more with that himself and his lack of composure against even the bottom teams was shocking.

Early days, but this wasn't the profile of midfielder we should have brought in.

He's not good enough on the ball for the level we should aim for.

Massively limited player just like Rice who can only tackle and break up play ala a destroyer, except for the fact that Rice is probably 2 or 3 times at doing that.

We've seen it happen to a decorated veteran like Casemiro, we are seeing it happening to a highly rated defensive midfielder like Ugarte. Maybe it's the system or concept of the tactical system that is not setting them up for success?

We have to give him time. He’s playing in a team and under a manager that are crumbling. His bedding in period is made all the more harder.

Having said that, this club really frustrates me with the profile of midfielder it signs. For a team that is so poor at keeping the ball I don’t think we can afford to add players who aren’t good at that. The mindset is wrong.

Having said that, this club really frustrates me with the profile of midfielder it signs. For a team that is so poor at keeping the ball I don’t think we can afford to add players who aren’t good at that. The mindset is wrong.
Absolutely, I hated how in the summer posters here were justifying buying such limited player 'because he wins lots of balls'. We are United ffs, we should be dominating 80-90% of games, we need midfielders who are actually good at receiving and passing it.

Ugarte is worse than McTominnay on the ball, and we all wanted McTom out because of his deficiency.

I knew it would only be a couple of games before everyone was shitting on him, and here we are :lol:

He's not looked good so far, but sweet fecking jesus give the guy some time to bed in and get used to a new club and a new league.
Exactly

Let's give him some time.

Exactly

Let's give him some time.
If his definition of breaking the play is to shove people or commit rash tackles then we have problem in our hands regardless of how new he is in the team.

If his definition of breaking the play is to shove people or commit rash tackles then we have problem in our hands regardless of how new he is in the team.

He did also make 4 successful tackles, on top of the fouls and failed attempts at tackles. So he had some clean challenge success as well

Absolutely, I hated how in the summer posters here were justifying buying such limited player 'because he wins lots of balls'. We are United ffs, we should be dominating 80-90% of games, we need midfielders who are actually good at receiving and passing it.

Ugarte is worse than McTominnay on the ball, and we all wanted McTom out because of his deficiency.
I’ve said before, until the club has a mindset that promotes and accepts possession play, we will get nowhere. The fans too - who at the mention of it only think of Guardiola, Barcelona etc and panic with the United dna talk. It’s not about tiki taka but driving us out of this backwards mire we are in. Every new signing has to be comfortable on the ball - otherwise we aren’t going to make the progress we need to.

What worries me are two things. First - he was ineos transfers, ETH did not want him. Second - he looks exactly like he was meant to be. Limited destroyer without ball carrying ability.
If he proved to be a very good destroyer he should still only be a squad player. Ideal scenario is to have four good CMs - three ball playing ones (Mainoo plus two) and Ugarte.

What worries me are two things. First - he was ineos transfers, ETH did not want him. Second - he looks exactly like he was meant to be. Limited destroyer without ball carrying ability.
He can actually carry the ball. He isn’t a top ball player but he isnt as bad as is being made out either in my opinion.

Difficult start but this place also burried Amrabat after a few games.

I think the issue with our midfield is ETH

We would regardless need a ball playing DLP next year who can play both roles to a certain degree of competency. Ideally we need 4 quality players for the central midfield role.

We will get the chance soon enough to see him in a midfield that doesn’t contain Freewheeling Fernandes. Between him, Mainoo, and Casemiro we should have at least one player who can stop an attack and one player who can complete a 5 yard pass. Maybe Mount can be the spark this side needs, maybe with Højlund back and Nachos and Amad…. Who knows.

Ugarte has been less useful than McTominay so far, and even Toby Collyer has looked better. Early days, but he has to step it up soon.

All his critics in the transfer thread are right so far. Frightening how fans can see what our scouts can't over and over.

If you buy a defensive midfielder and he needs a deep lying playmaker alongside him to make up for the limitations in his game you have just added another tactical problem.

Interesting how many said he was poor on the ball before we signed him. Lo and behold he turns up and looks horrible on the ball. Another player who can’t pass 6 yards to a red shirt. It’s early days but Jesus, why are casual football watchers on an internet forum seemingly better scouts than those at United?
This was always the worry with buying someone who is not well rounded as a footballer. Someone who had obvious defencies, and would need another player to hide them. I was amazed at the number of people who thought a pure destroyer was what our midfield was missing. How many top teams have a player like that?

Folks here were arguing with me that Ugarte was actually good at passing, and comparable to Joao Neves. Someone like Neves would have taken our midfield to the next level, Ugarte just reeks of mediocrity. All the high volume tackling+intcerception stats doesnt pass the eye test I'm afraid. I remember bringing up Schneiderlin similarities, and hoping it wouldnt turn out the same.

As a team, we needed player who could raise our technical floor, and we went ahead and got a midfielder who is limited on the ball for 50M. Mind boggling stuff.

Bad today, but it is far too early for a verdict. Ugarte is supposed to break up opposition play and give the ball to someone, who can pass it forwards (Eriksen, Mainoo or Bruno.) He has done that in the other games, so I am optimistic.