Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

I think it's more than likely they break the record for summer spending

New Goalkeeper(30-40m)
Two fullbacks(Around 80m combined)
New midfielder(30m)
Silva(60m)
and they're interested in Alexis Sanchez too!
I was going to say that instead of another midfielder they'd surely be looking for at least one CB instead but a midfielder is a CB to Pep.

He is checkbook manager, only Pep fan boys will deny that.

All good managers are chequebook managers, pep is no different. He got lucky at la masia like Ferguson did with class of 92 or whatever they were called. Besides that a good manager needs good players.

I think his remit is to build a winning team first before worrying about that.

Exactly and pep has said very few will feature next season. The gap from reserve to first team us too big. I'd expect another 35 player loans from us next season.
The thing is all our kids are now around 20 or early 20s and for alot it's make or break time like denayer, maffeo, tosin etc..

All good managers are chequebook managers, pep is no different. He got lucky at la masia like Ferguson did with class of 92 or whatever they were called. Besides that a good manager needs good players.

Exactly and pep has said very few will feature next season. The gap from reserve to first team us too big. I'd expect another 35 player loans from us next season.
The thing is all our kids are now around 20 or early 20s and for alot it's make or break time like denayer, maffeo, tosin etc..
I think a lot will ask to be sold.

Bernardo Silva's a good buy, straight upgrade on Sterling in the lineup. Two full backs, a goalkeeper, a centre back and a defensive midfielder or holding mid and they look good for next season. It's a lot though.

Bernardo Silva's a good buy, straight upgrade on Sterling in the lineup. Two full backs, a goalkeeper, a centre back and a defensive midfielder or holding mid and they look good for next season. It's a lot though.

I think he is more of a Silva replacement. As we have seen when Silva doesn't play, City can't penetrate compact teams because both David Silva and Gundogan are their only press resistant midfield. Sterling has been great but he played too many games as he has no replacement. Navas is a terrible right winger.

I think he is more of a Silva replacement. As we have seen when Silva doesn't play, City can't penetrate compact teams because both David Silva and Gundogan are their only press resistant midfield. Sterling has been great but he played too many games as he has no replacement. Navas is a terrible right winger.

Agree with this, I have a sneaky feeling he'll rotate with David Silva and will also play with him in a midfield 3 at times.

Something like... this is his regular 4141.

----------Fernandinho----------
------Silva----------Silva-------
KDB-----------------------Sane
------------Aguero-------------

=========================================

Pep is building for the future and these type of signings make me think he could be here for the long haul. Silva 22, Sane 21, Jesus 20, Sterling 22, De Bruyne 25, Stones 22, Gundogan at 26 is the oldest outfield player he's brought in. He's drastically cutting the age of our squad and I think thats a good sign.
People say he's not enjoying City but I think he's loving having free reign to mold a club in his image with no idols or set in stone philosophies in his way. Think we might get him for more than 3 seasons for better or worse.

I'll be honest though I wish we were announcing a fullback even though it looks like Walker is pretty much a done deal. A Good LB to join this and I'll call it a good window before June has even started :)

Wonder how much money he needs to spend when he's gonna be called a chequebook manager like Mourinho is. He's a great manager but all the talk about filling half of the City's team with academy prospects is turning out to be bollox.
Don't worry, FCBarca will be here soon to explain how Pep is still not a cheque book manager who needs the best players in the world and is just interested in improving players not at City which is why they're going to spend half a billion under him

With the signing of Silva, Sterling will now be a £50m sub and likely rot for 2 years before being sold to Crystal Palace for £20m.

Seriously though why he is not buying defenders and a goalie. Don't understand the top heaviness. And to make matters worse they are now being linked with Sanchez. Why? He can't fit in Aguero who is the best striker in the Premier League if you believe his plans.

It won't happen. If they believe it will, they are completely delusional.

For that to happen they have to have a similiar squad depth as Real Madrid and they don't have it. Their first 11 is gonna be pretty good and they will probably have a couple of quality subs that can make a difference but there's simply no way they can legitimately play to win in all fronts.
Although they are closer, they are still miles away from the top 4 teams in Europe.

It won't happen. If they believe it will, they are completely delusional.

For that to happen they have to have a similiar squad depth as Real Madrid and they don't have it. Their first 11 is gonna be pretty good and they will probably have a couple of quality subs that can make a difference but there's simply no way they can legitimately play to win in all fronts.
Although they are closer, they are still miles away from the top 4 teams in Europe.

I take it you didn't read the article?

If you believe the transfer talk, they look like they could have quite a superb summer transfer window. They seem to be targeting all the right players. Someone like Walker would be a terrific signing, for example. But let's see if they actually sign all these players they're so confident of buying. I heard that they're confident of getting Sanchez too and I don't think Arsenal will let that happen so meekly.

Have to say, Pep needs a good window given the last one was a bit average given how Bravo and Stones have played for them thus far.

The quadruple would be near impossible to win in England at the moment. When United won the treble they were playing at peak level, even then they needed a bit of luck to complete it. The premier league is much more competitive. Pepsi is tactically awful and city will be lucky if doesn't walk away, being the quitter he is. City have the finances to compete with getting any player. They don't have the leaders or character to sustain success at the moment, never mind win something historic.

Khaldoons a gobshite of the highest order. He's been brought in to whip the fans into a rabid frenzy. The blues i work with are starting to see through all the propaganda. All well & good going into the season with a sense of belief & optimism. You piss alot of fans off though when you fail to deliver anything. Most City fans would be happy just to win a trophy next season. This mug promising them the quad is talking out of his arse.

So what's the story with City's transfer business this summer? Their strongest link seems to be a longshot in Sanchez while the Walker and Mendy links have died a death.

So what's the story with City's transfer business this summer? Their strongest link seems to be a longshot in Sanchez while the Walker and Mendy links have died a death.
Don't think they've died. Fully expect both to be City players at the start of the season.

But if Walker was a sure thing then why go in for Alves?
Isn't there the rumour that Bakayoko will be their last sale this summer as a condition for Mbappe to stay?
We would be bricking it if we were in their situation.

Think City's valuation and the selling clubs valuations are miles apart, signing anyone from Spurs who they don't need to sell is like pulling teeth which is fair enough.

Isn't there the rumour that Bakayoko will be their last sale this summer as a condition for Mbappe to stay?

They've got Aguero, Jesus, Sané, de Bruyne, D. Silva, Sterling, B. Silva (maybe more?)...

If they didn't sign anyone else but kept all those they'd still be over-stocked.

Think City's valuation and the selling clubs valuations are miles apart, signing anyone from Spurs who they don't need to sell is like pulling teeth which is fair enough.
That's the thing.
We are trying to extract players who are still wanted from teams who don't necessarily need the money. We did well to nip in at the start of the window for Bernardo before Monaco got fussy about selling and the new keeper was a shared ownership guy so that took some careful negotiations to buy all 3 parties out.
Mendy as mentioned is tricky as Monaco are now cash rich, Sanchez has ramifications for Arsenal's image so won't be sold lightly and the less said about Levy's Tottenham as a trading partner the better.

Spurs will absolutely rinse them for Walker now that Alves is going to PSG.

They've got Aguero, Jesus, Sané, de Bruyne, D. Silva, Sterling, B. Silva (maybe more?)...

If they didn't sign anyone else but kept all those they'd still be over-stocked.
There's 5 positions to be covered and likely 60 games to play so that's potentially 300 starts between 8 players.
Injuries and suspensions will also be a factor so that would average about 40 games per player.
Sometimes there will be only 4 of that pool of players used so that might bring it down a bit.

In like 3 positions. They've released a lot of players and desperately need defensive reinforcements.

In like 3 positions. They've released a lot of players and desperately need defensive reinforcements.

plenty of time, I'm sure the management are aware and as long as we don't panic buy it'll be fine. Alves going to PSG is a bit of a pisser, he'd have been ideal for 2 season to rotate. Hopefully it may give a chance to Maffeo but I'm not holding out much hope of him getting a chance over then next 12 months.

They need 4 fullbacks. 3 if they send Kolarav back to the role and sign a center half.

If Alves signs for PSG then Spurs will take City for a big ride.