Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Let's be honest, all these players were deadwood. He made the right decision.

They're going to get many, many players this season. Their spending is going to be crazy I believe.

Yeah their expenditure with all those departures will surely close in on £200m.

Press won't catch up on it though, just like this season. Meanwhile they will make a meal out of our spending on Griezman, like they did with Pogba.

Especially annoying considering one of the clubs spend what they earn, while the other keeps cashing in the lottery ticket.

The renewal of City's team is to be expected. Like Jose, Guardiola now knows who he can depend on and who he should get rid of.

I think this clearout was absolutely necessary I just cannot understand why didn't it happen a year ago. I think everyone saw that with these aging and a bit one-dimensional fullbacks City won't go far away. Especially considering what sort of fullbacks Guardiola worked with previously.
I would have kept Caballero because he is still better than Bravo.

Have they got the money to spend +£250m? If so, what kind of impact is it going to have bringing 5 to 8 players into the team?

They're going to find it difficult to replace all those players in one window, call me old fashioned but I wouldn't have cleared out all those full backs unless I had already brought two in.

If they don't have this money they wouldn't have thrown all these players out of the window so I think yes they have.

They'll probably bring about 7 to 8 players, won't be surprised if they bring 10 players. The next season for Pep is a defining one and he needs any trophy whatever the mean possible else he'll be doomed.

I don't really like having bunch of deadwood in the team just to be numbers and squad players. I said the same on our squad, too. Having big squad in number doesn't really mean you have a good depth.

Yeah their expenditure with all those departures will surely close in on £200m.

Press won't catch up on it though, just like this season. Meanwhile they will make a meal out of our spending on Griezman, like they did with Pogba.

Especially annoying considering one of the clubs spend what they earn, while the other keeps cashing in the lottery ticket.

That's normal. All the pressure and attention are on us. No one care about what other teams in England. I have accepted this fact already. We're the only team in England which media is obsessed with slaughtering its manager and transfers.

Last edited:
It seems strange he has released them all at once.

They probably need 3/4 first team players and now they need to sign another 3/4 on top to fill out the squad. That is a helluva turnover of players to gel in very little time. Unless he's going to finally use this exclaimed youth system they have built (I highly doubt it).

I believe Navas and Caballero were offered extensions but Navas knows he'd be backup right back and cabs probably 3Rd choice keeper. The fullbacks are all good decisions. Zab and clichy a year too late, ironic when sagna is older.

Yeah there'll be a big turnover at City this summer and I expect them to be right up there contending for the title next season - Pep won't make the same mistakes this time.

Even though he has gotten rid of the deadwood, Man City has one of the weakest academy despite years of investment. Their academy is even worse than Everton or Southampton, or even some of the championship clubs. They are going to be facing the danger of playing next season with a squad of 19 to 20 senior players while backed by 10 U-21s. They will end up looking just like Liverpool this season. Their current academy youngsters are just not good enough and they fail to support the first team during injury crisis. Also, clubs can now sit back and blackmail Man City to pay 20-30% more for the players, especially for full backs since Man City has no full backs now.

Maybe Man City is copying what United is doing. United unearthed many youngsters by just throwing them into the foil during crisis. I guess they are going cold-turkey and will try to play youngsters whenever possible with the hope of unearthing their potential. As Triple H told Seth Rollins, "pressure can make you into a diamond or can break you apart."

Even though he has gotten rid of the deadwood, Man City has one of the weakest academy despite years of investment. Their academy is even worse than Everton or Southampton, or even some of the championship clubs. They are going to be facing the danger of playing next season with a squad of 19 to 20 senior players while backed by 10 U-21s. They will end up looking just like Liverpool this season. Their current academy youngsters are just not good enough and they fail to support the first team during injury crisis. Also, clubs can now sit back and blackmail Man City to pay 20-30% more for the players, especially for full backs since Man City has no full backs now.

Maybe Man City is copying what United is doing. United unearthed many youngsters by just throwing them into the foil during crisis. I guess they are going cold-turkey and will try to play youngsters whenever possible with the hope of unearthing their potential. As Triple H told Seth Rollins, "pressure can make you into a diamond or can break you apart."
It is interesting, Pep who is renowned for giving youth a chance has in no way done that.

It is interesting, Pep who is renowned for giving youth a chance has in no way done that.

It's probably because his actual record isn't that good. He utilized a few players he had already coached as Barca B manager. Outside of that, he's been sporadic at best with his use of youth. He's a pretty average manager when it comes to using young players, nothing special.

It's probably because his actual record isn't that good. He utilized a few players he had already coached as Barca B manager. Outside of that, he's been sporadic at best with his use of youth. He's a pretty average manager when it comes to using young players, nothing special.

Then again, they are youths from La Masia and Bayern. I think you can pretty much close your eyes in front of the youth team and throw a stone and there is a high chance that you will strike a youth player who is pretty good already.

Mendy Fabinho Walker alone is going to cost them close to 100m. They also need a CB and GK in addition. Maybe even another CM

Then again, they are youths from La Masia and Bayern. I think you can pretty much close your eyes in front of the youth team and throw a stone and there is a high chance that you will strike a youth player who is pretty good already.

The youth of La Masia are overrated. They play in Southampton Everton Stoke and Boro level these days

So they atleast need three fullbacks, one goalkeeper to fill their squad with numbers. That's 150M right there.

Mendy Fabinho Walker alone is going to cost them close to 100m. They also need a CB and GK in addition. Maybe even another CM

Yep, could be close to 150+ million, if they sign the players they've been linked to and they might still have a few holes. That's if everyone settles. I really don't think throwing out so many players is the best idea.

I thought Pep had come in to give all their youngsters a chance? £170m last summer, probably over £200m this summer.

In Silva, Sane & Jesus City will have some of the best players under 23 in Europe, the problem they have is any of them go on to become world superstars they will move on to Real or Barca. City know they can't compete for the real superstars of world football like Pogba & Griezemann so have to have to buy at this level in the hope that they develop.

I can't wait until the annual summer "City are so great, they'll walk the league" hyperbole to start

Wonder how much money he needs to spend when he's gonna be called a chequebook manager like Mourinho is. He's a great manager but all the talk about filling half of the City's team with academy prospects is turning out to be bollox.

City will definitely challenge next season. Pep is getting rid of all the ageing players, which should have been done lasts season.

Walker, B.Silva and whoever else they sign will strengthen their starting XI.

Someone please keep a list of all the outgoing players, this seems like a absolute overall. The guy wants almost a complete new team. United will spend half of what City are going to, and we were three places below them in the league.

The chequebook is well and truly open. My bet is on around 260m on 6-8 players.

City already have a very good attack, adding Silva will of course make that even better but their defence is a joke and some could argue that throughout Pep's career he has failed to build a good defence which you absolutely need in this league.

Wonder how much money he needs to spend when he's gonna be called a chequebook manager like Mourinho is. He's a great manager but all the talk about filling half of the City's team with academy prospects is turning out to be bollox.

He is checkbook manager, only Pep fan boys will deny that.

City are going to have a strong squad next year. All we can hope for is that in an attempt to be the ultimate footballing hipster, Pep plays them all out of position and keeps Bravo and Stones in the team.

I think his remit is to build a winning team first before worrying about that.

Amended post that I put into the Silva thread

---------------Bravo---------------
Walker--Stones--Kompany--Mendy
------------Gündoğan------------
Silva--Silva--De Bruyne--Sane
---------------Jesus---------------

Subs: New GK, Otamendi, Kolarov, Delph, Fernandinho, Sterling, Aguero

Obviously they may strengthen the options on the bench as well

All I will say is City have focussed on attacking players since they came into money and so far it's only resulted in 2 fairly unimpressive title wins and a couple of domestic cups. We always knew they'd spend a lot of money this summer given they've had a worst season that almost all of the other top 6

At times I wonder why City and Chelsea even bother with their academies. Brilliant players and very good coaching, yet hardly giving them chances. If Chelsea sign a CB, I'd be looking to leave in Ake's place. Iheanacho, who's a very talented player should leave as well.

Anyone else think West Ham owners are frantically refreshing their screens to see who else they are releasing and try and sogn up as many as possible, any chance of a striker too?

Have they been linked to any goalkeeper?
Maybe he blames his defense for Bravo being a flop and will stick with him stubbornly next year

Amended post that I put into the Silva thread

---------------Bravo---------------
Walker--Stones--Kompany--Mendy
------------Gündoğan------------
Silva--Silva--De Bruyne--Sane
---------------Jesus---------------

Subs: New GK, Otamendi, Kolarov, Delph, Fernandinho, Sterling, Aguero

Obviously they may strengthen the options on the bench as well

All I will say is City have focussed on attacking players since they came into money and so far it's only resulted in 2 fairly unimpressive title wins and a couple of domestic cups. We always knew they'd spend a lot of money this summer given they've had a worst season that almost all of the other top 6

They'll get murdered in the PL playing something like that. Apart from Kompany, rest all of them are attacking minded.

At times I wonder why City and Chelsea even bother with their academies. Brilliant players and very good coaching, yet hardly giving them chances. If Chelsea sign a CB, I'd be looking to leave in Ake's place. Iheanacho, who's a very talented player should leave as well.

Patrick Roberts will be wondering what the feck he's got to do to get in the manager's plans too. Not like he could have done much more while on loan.

They'll get murdered in the PL playing something like that. Apart from Kompany, rest all of them are attacking minded.

Agreed, good isn't it :lol:

To be fair Gündoğan will be injured again so Fernandinho will come in and provide a bit of defensive balance, though Kompany will be missing through injury again as well so they're still fecked

I think it's more than likely they break the record for summer spending

New Goalkeeper(30-40m)
Two fullbacks(Around 80m combined)
New midfielder(30m)
Silva(60m)
and they're interested in Alexis Sanchez too!

Patrick Roberts will be wondering what the feck he's got to do to get in the manager's plans too. Not like he could have done much more while on loan.

Completely forgot about him. I don't follow the SPL, has he been good for Celtic?

I can't wait until the annual summer "City are so great, they'll walk the league" hyperbole to start
I won't fall for that again unless they buy Bonucci, Walker, Mendy, Oblak. Then maybe (just maybe), I will see them as potential favorites.