Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

I never expected Jose to walk every competition going like some United fans did. People said this will be a shock to him, managing in a league where his side aren't in a 2 horse race year in, year out.

They were right. I think this season is a failure if they win nothing apart from the League Cup (after all, Pellegrini won the League Cup last year and most United fans deemed that a failure), and he must be seen as a failure for the first year. I am not convinced theyll win it next year either as he has no plan B

Fixed that for you mate.

Fixed that for you mate.
Im lost, is there a rule that says when discussing Pep that Jose must become involved?
Theres entire threads about Jose with minimal Pep involvement yet Jose is a regular visiter to Pep discussion posts.

It was obvious baldy mccunt would get undone here. City fans seem to be butthurt and defensive.

Im lost, is there a rule that says when discussing Pep that Jose must become involved?
Theres are entire threads about Jose with minimal Pep involvement yet Jose is a regular visiter to Pep discussion posts.

There is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on when a section of posters see nothing wrong with Jose's record and dismiss Pep's because "he had a superteam while Jose was always the underdog" (I'm still struggling with that).

not read much of the thread but I'm delighted in the direction we're going under Pep, most cityfans (even some on bluemoon) know we've had issues with the defence and it was never going to be a quick fix, yeah we've had some stinking results (Wed being the biggest for me) and I still can't understand why Yaya didn't play but we're doing about par from what I expected of the squad at the start of the season but the quality of football has improved no end and unlike the last couple of seasons they're at times an absolute joy to watch, I reckon if Joe had stayed we'd probably be far closer to Chelsea than what we are but that's the decision he made and I can see the reason why he made that decision (not that I agree).

Just like United fans this season I'd say most City fans are enjoying the football more, can see progress is being made and are really looking forward to next season.

There is no irony to be seen. I've always called him that. Sorry it bothers you. Suck it up.

CHFE-EvWwAA2rpH.jpg

He was responding to Peanut Bitter who isn't exactly one to formulate constructive posts about City. We could win the league by 20 points next season with United languishing in 6th and he'd still deem Guardiola's tenure at City a complete and utter failure:lol:
Erm, no.

This isn't about Utd or Jose. It's about St. Pep. He has been bang average considering how lauded he was by some earlier in the season.

City under Pep look lightweight and predictable. You were better under MP and Mancini.

Not saying that St. Pep isn't a good manager. But he's been found out at City as:

1. The Premier League isn't a one horse race like Bundlesliga

2. He hasn't got a team with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets etc all in their prime.

He's been found out.

There is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on when a section of posters see nothing wrong with Jose's record and dismiss Pep's because "he had a superteam while Jose was always the underdog" (I'm still struggling with that).

Yep, that's part of what I was alluding to. Personally, I think it could be argued that with the amount of money spent by both clubs in the summer - on top of what was spent in recent seasons - coupled with the appointment of 2 stellar managers, both teams perhaps should be fighting each other for the title but it's been clear that, rightly or wrongly, there are still squad deficiencies that need addressing before either manager can mould the teams to suit their respective playing identities.

Erm, no.

This isn't about Utd or Jose. It's about St. Pep. He has been bang average considering how lauded he was by some earlier in the season.

City under Pep look lightweight and predictable. You were better under MP and Mancini.

Not saying that St. Pep isn't a good manager. But he's been found out at City as:

1. The Premier League isn't a one horse race like Bundlesliga

2. He hasn't got a team with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets etc all in their prime.

He's been found out.

No-one's perfect mate, not even Pep:nono:

Jose is getting plenty of criticism for our displays this season, Pep can't mentioned on here without Jose being brought back into it. It's ridiculous. Look at that post I quoted, all reasonable points but somehow Jose's situation is rammed straight back into the conversation.
I'm actually struggling to think of a post that has defended Jose by using Pep as a reference point. Maybe I've missed them all

Jose is getting plenty of criticism for our displays this season, Pep can't mentioned on here without Jose being brought back into it. It's ridiculous. Look at that post I quoted, all reasonable points but somehow Jose's situation is rammed straight back into the conversation.
I'm actually struggling to think of a post that has defended Jose by using Pep as a reference point. Maybe I've missed them all

Criticism. but no one is calling him a fraud. Likewise, no one is saying Pep shouldn't be doing better.

Guardiola has had plenty of criticism too. With regards to that post you quoted, if you're talking about my response to salford's post then you have to factor in that he is someone who will do City down at every opportunity and therefore can't be taken entirely seriously. Now I don't mind that in a piss-taking football rivalry kind of way as I've done it myself more than enough times down the years but this forum has a reputation for being one of the better ones for sensible discussion. Not only that, I think the comparison to Mourinho holds some relevance as United aren't exactly running away with the league this season either and currently lie 7 points behind City, albeit with a game in hand, so if that trend continues to the end of the season will he refer to Mourinho as a failure as well? Somehow I doubt it. Granted, you've won a trophy already but so did van Gaal last season and he still lost his job.

FWIW, while I think both managers should've perhaps been closer to challenging for the title this season, they also deserve a little leeway as they've been hugely successful in the past at other clubs so as long as they're delivering something meaningful in terms of a particular playing identity - and I believe both are despite some disappointing results and performances - sacking either at the end of the season shouldn't be remotely up for discussion even if both of them finish outside the CL places.

Jose is already proven in the Premier League. The jury is still out on Pep.

We know Mourinho has won huge trophies with the likes of Porto and Inter as well. Again, all of Pep's good work has been with Messi and co.

We will get a feeling where he is going next season but he isn't the football messiah anymore that so many made him out to be.

Jose is already proven in the Premier League. The jury is still out on Pep.

We know Mourinho has won huge trophies with the likes of Porto and Inter as well. Again, all of Pep's good work has been with Messi and co.

We will get a feeling where he is going next season but he isn't the football messiah anymore that so many made him out to be.

He didn't win with a bunch of fecking journeymen. He had world class players in his teams as well.

He didn't win with a bunch of fecking journeymen. He had world class players in his teams as well.
He didn't have anything near the quality of Barca's side in that Porto or Inter side.

Why do some people get so irate when St. Pep's credentials are questioned? It's weird.

We all question Jose's methods at times and rightly so. But when it comes to baldy, some around here seem to take it personally. :wenger:

He didn't have anything near the quality of Barca's side in that Porto or Inter side.
No, but he still had great teams. Inter were by far the best side in italy and when they won the treble they were among the 4-5 best sides in the world. Not near barca's quality? Come the feck on...

I'm all for pissing on baldy mcc*nt, but come on, it's not like he has city 10th in the league and out of every cup...

Not against Barcelona.
Not that. It's the fact that PSG was not well versed as defensive team. Why trying with something you're never accustomed to? Just like Monaco who gave City a signal for a comeback in both games of the tie by trying to put off the gas pedal for a more pragmatic approach when they're no where good enough defensively. Playing on front foot, Monaco could have finished the tie in Etihad with a win.

Last edited:
Difference is the starting point. The City Pep project started well before Pep joined the club with some backroom people from Barca moving to City to set up the club, buying certain players, employing certain coaches and scouts all to help Oep have a soft landing. In comparison, Jose came to a club that had significant strategic issues with a split dressing room, a total overhaul of the playing system and 6 poor transfer windows.

Comparing the two on this season alone, I think Jose is doing the better job despite the relative league positions. His purchases have had more impact and despite having more to do and starting from a weaker position he has delivered some good results and a degree of consistency that we have lacked in the last 3 years. Pep started really well but like Klopp has hit problems once teams have worked out his system. City and Liverpool do not seem to have a plan B and Utd have a few alternative playing styles. If you take Thursday, Jose played it perfectly recognising that Rostov would blitz in the last 1/3 of the game so he played it safe and waited for them to open up.

So Pep has underperformed based on coming to a club that was, in part, set up for him.

Next season will be career defining for Pep and Jose.

The City Pep project started well before Pep joined the club with some backroom people from Barca moving to City to set up the club, buying certain players, employing certain coaches and scouts all to help Oep have a soft landing
And they did a terrible job

Inter I'll grant you, but Porto?! That was the very definition of a team of journeymen. Deco was there one truly quality player and even then he made his way through the Portuguese leagues.

Inter I'll grant you, but Porto?! That was the very definition of a team of journeymen. Deco was there one truly quality player and even then he made his way through the Portuguese leagues.

Half that Porto team went on to form the spine of his Chelsea.

Half that Porto team went on to form the spine of his Chelsea.

Hahaha, Pep is failing - City are failing when you thought you' d won the league back in september.

The easiest of the Premier League clubs to take over in the summer and he is being caught out because he cannot BUILD a team, merely win with someone elses team in a 2 horse race.

I love how City fans are a replication of their club, thinking they are better than what they are.

I think a lot of the frustration amongst utd fans comes from the fact Jose has been battered all season by the media where as Guardiola seems to be constantly having excuses made for him. Even today in the Guardian there's an article defending Guardiola.

Both of them spent an absolute fortune in the Summer, both have been underwhelming.

Difference is the starting point. The City Pep project started well before Pep joined the club with some backroom people from Barca moving to City to set up the club, buying certain players, employing certain coaches and scouts all to help Oep have a soft landing. In comparison, Jose came to a club that had significant strategic issues with a split dressing room, a total overhaul of the playing system and 6 poor transfer windows.

Comparing the two on this season alone, I think Jose is doing the better job despite the relative league positions. His purchases have had more impact and despite having more to do and starting from a weaker position he has delivered some good results and a degree of consistency that we have lacked in the last 3 years. Pep started really well but like Klopp has hit problems once teams have worked out his system. City and Liverpool do not seem to have a plan B and Utd have a few alternative playing styles. If you take Thursday, Jose played it perfectly recognising that Rostov would blitz in the last 1/3 of the game so he played it safe and waited for them to open up.

So Pep has underperformed based on coming to a club that was, in part, set up for him.

Next season will be career defining for Pep and Jose.
I think your post actually and mostly proved what he was trying to say.

Hyping pep and city squad to make it look better therefore they should be doing much better.

While Jose and our squad were in TOTAL shit that it would be ok if we don't get to CL next season.

The superman vs underdog theory.

I think a lot of the frustration amongst utd fans comes from the fact Jose has been battered all season by the media where as Guardiola seems to be constantly having excuses made for him. Even today in the Guardian there's an article defending Guardiola.

Both of them spent an absolute fortune in the Summer, both have been underwhelming.
I am curious where those Jose's bashing articles from decent journalists are?

Guardian has an article defending pep while the bald journalist wrote similar stuff about jose in how many articles?

See the point? Everyone thinks they are the only victims.

It is a pretty weird mentality or complex. I see that a lot more in football than most places. Just weird.

I am curious where those Jose's bashing articles from decent journalists are?

Guardian has an article defending pep while the bald journalist wrote similar stuff about jose in how many articles?

See the point? Everyone thinks they are the only victims.

It is a pretty weird mentality or complex. I see that a lot more in football than most places. Just weird.

Google Jose Mourinho left behind.

Countless articles from this season alone on how Jose is apparently a has been in management now,