Manchester Arena Bombing 22.05.17

I know a couple were giving out about this earlier but I'm saying it anyway. I can't believe I was walking around the city a few hours ago and had dinner out in the city last night

Was even having a right old moan in the airport, as they are far more strict in the security area in manachester than other airports

How would a bomb get in there though? Do they have bag scanners at MEN? I know they do at the o2 so I assume they would. This just doesn't make sense.

Pretty ridiculous in this day and age, regardless of what caused this.

I think they do spot checks but last time I was at Slane castle the security didn't check my bag or my girlfriends. I'm assuming it would be similar. Aalthough Slane is a much bigger venue.

It was apparently in the foyer rather than the concert itself. The foyer is open to the public, pretty much 24/7, its not really a part of the arena itself, despite the fact the doors are there.

Been to the O2 and there was very little security in terms of through bag checks. Maybe they catch it on the scanners but they just flipped through the bag without bothering much. Maybe it's not too difficult bringing something in if this was indeed a terror attack.

I don't know how people are surprised that there was nothing but panic after a loud bang, given the current climate.

NBC are citing British police sources as saying at least twenty dead. Course, we await further confirmation from GMP.

It was apparently in the foyer rather than the concert itself. The foyer is open to the public, pretty much 24/7, its not really a part of the arena itself, despite the fact the doors are there.
I think they just showed on Sky a video of a flash and then explosion sound from a dashcam near the arena

Looked to be inside a glass roofed part of the arena (if that describes the foyer)

Yeah that's a good point.

Some twitter accounts who were apparently there saying there were no bag scans or their bags werent searched.
Like Old Trafford then where they basically make you queue up to take your coat off.

Bags do get searched though to be fair.

Looks bad, bomb squad have arrived on scene. Local NHS trust asking people only to use them in a genuine life threatening emergency, they are very stretched.

Transport Police also saying it was in the foyer.

Wouldn't read too much into the bomb squad being there...any kind of explosion and they'd be called in just in case.

It's all really odd...if it's a bomb the loudness of the explosion doesn't really make much sense...it'd have needed to fit in someone's bag, and it'd need to have been a fairly small bag...and it'd have been a home made bomb.

If it's not a bomb then there has to be another explanation, but the only ones so far are gas explosion or balloons, or balloons full of gas. None of these make much sense either.

Bag searches and pat-downs going to NFL games at Wembley. Bag searches when entering London museums. Those are my recent experiences at least.

I see. Still ridiculous though that they aren't checked isn't it? More should be done

Wondered that. Thanks. Or not thanks... feck

I think they just showed on Sky a video of a flash and then explosion sound from a dashcam near the arena

Yeah theyre both under same roof is the best way to describe it. The arena, the foyer, the station, all under one roof.

Wouldn't read too much into the bomb squad being there...any kind of explosion and they'd be called in just in case.

It's all really odd...if it's a bomb the loudness of the explosion doesn't really make much sense...it'd have needed to fit in someone's bag, and it'd need to have been a fairly small bag...and it'd have been a home made bomb.

If it's not a bomb then there has to be another explanation, but the only ones so far are gas explosion or balloons, or balloons full of gas. None of these make much sense either.

maybe it was the helium balloon machine?

Location of where people say it happened makes no mention of a balloon.

Was thinking the same thing. That video with the explosion happening in the station looked massive.

This has been my confusion as well. It's all very odd.

BBC talking about counter-terrorism unit treating as possible terror attack. Senior CT figures assembling in London tonight.

Surely not? These things after the event usually aren't true

Is the foyer basically a glassed in looking area of the building?
So the video of people running down the stairs, you go up the stairs and you get to the foyer. Its just a big round room, there use to be a maccies to the right, and the box office entrance to the arena was to the left.

The roofing for the foyer and more so the train station is a sorta bubble looking thing, thats see through. Its why you'd see the blast on that dash cam video.

From the video it looked like a blast of light came from inside that part of the building. Either that or it was reflecting light from a different angle
I'm assuming it's the same video Olly posted earlier, if so then yea it looked to be from the station.