Manager draft

I'm so confused about the order of picks right now. Why did MJJ just pick? There's two different orders on the first page and it's not his turn in either of them.. :\

Wouldn't both those cases clearly fall into the 'some sort of signifcant drop in form or some specific role never played before' category? I never said ignore everything, I said don't overdo it.

I simply disagree with that. According to transfermarkt, Lahm started 16 competitive games at rightback since Pep took over and I'm sure in another 10-15 games he was shifted to rightback in the 2nd half of games when Pep changed the tactics. Saying he shouldn't be judged on what we know about him, even though he proved in 15-20 games that he's still easily the best rightback in the world is just silly nitpicking in my opinion. It's not even a small samplesize.

But that's all from me to the topic. If people want to take that rule to the extreme, fair enough. I definitely won't when I judge the teams.

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt he play as a fullback for the german national team during the same time period? Would be stupid to think he wasnt the best full back in the world just because he had less games in his preferred position.

Thought about this for a while, and can't really pass up the opportunity. He was the world record signing at the time, and while he suffered from injury and illness, he still showed why he was considered among the best in the world at the time.
maradona-.jpg

about 26 seconds in for just a brief glimpse of what he was capable of even during that time.

I'm so confused about the order of picks right now. Why did MJJ just pick? There's two different orders on the first page and it's not his turn in either of them.. :\
01. Harms:-Giovanni Trapattoni - 1.
02. AngeloHenriquez:-Fabio Cappello - 1.
03. Jayvin:- Carlo Ancelotti - 1.
04. Paolo Di Canio:-Louis Van Gaal - 1.
05. Skizzo:-Udo Lattek - 1.
06. MJJ:-Marcello Lippi - 1.Baggio
07. Joga Bonito:-Udo Lattek - 1. Beckenbauer
08. Balu:-Béla Guttmann - 1. Bozsik
09. Raees:-Vicente Del Bosque - 1. Ronaldo
10. Cutch:-Alex Ferguson - 1. Beckham
11. Gio:-Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Matthäus
12. Edgar Allan Pillow:-Fabio Capello - 1. Maldini
13. The Red Viper:-Pep Guardiola - 1. Philipp Lahm
14. DanNistelrooy:-Carlo Ancelotti - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
15. Annahnomoss:-Vanderlei Luxemburgo - 1. Zinedine Zidane
16. Crappycraperson:-Rinus Michels - 1. Migueli

I pick after joga and skizzo, so it is my turn?

Yeah sorry MJJ, I'd missed the Bozsik and Beckenbauer picks on the previous page. All good :)

04. Paolo Di Canio:-Louis Van Gaal - 1.
05. Skizzo:-Udo Lattek - 1. Maradona
06. MJJ:-Marcello Lippi - 1.Baggio

I have Paulo's pick too...one second.

Yeah sorry MJJ, I'd missed the Bozsik and Beckenbauer picks on the previous page. All good :)

No worries, I think I updated the wrong list anyway first time round :lol:

I wish both the capellos/trap/ancelotti were on one side of me rather than me being right in the middle. Would have made things a lot more simpler planning wise.

Thought about this for a while, and can't really pass up the opportunity. He was the world record signing at the time, and while he suffered from injury and illness, he still showed why he was considered among the best in the world at the time.
maradona-.jpg

about 26 seconds in for just a brief glimpse of what he was capable of even during that time.

:(

Next pick is going to hurt as well. Just wondering, who would you have picked first if both were available? El Pibe or Der Kaiser?

He quoted a non up to date list, this is the up to date list

04. Paolo Di Canio:-Louis Van Gaal - 1. Frank Rijkaard
05. Skizzo:-Udo Lattek - 1. Diego Maradona
06. MJJ:-Marcello Lippi - 1. Roberto Baggio

My pick is Frank Rijkaard

63614_657_1151973429702-frank_rijkaard.jpg

:lol: exactly what I was thinking about when Joga offered to let Skizzo pick first. How do you choose between Maradona and Beckenbauer? And Skizzo will likely feck him over now with his second pick...

Also my rant about Ronaldo in 99/00 is irrelevant because Raees picked Del Bosque. His remark about Ronaldo being managed by Lippi confused me! Jeez I'm having a mare these last couple of pages... :o

:lol: exactly what I was thinking about when Joga offered to let Skizzo pick first. How do you choose between Maradona and Beckenbauer? And Skizzo will likely feck him over now with his second pick...

That's why im glad he had to make that decision :lol: although i dont think he'll be disappointed with my next pick. Depends what he's hoping for i guess lol

:(

Next pick is going to hurt as well. Just wondering, who would you have picked first if both were available? El Pibe or Der Kaiser?

Originally when i was planning to go with Lattek, I told Annah i was looking forward to trying a new formation, with players I hadn't had the chance to use before...and was talking about Beckenbauer...then I saw you pick Lattek as well, and knew my chances of that happening were pretty much gone :lol:

I would have made the same choice as you.

Edgar Davids (circa 99/00), rated as one of the top 5 players in Serie A that season by Gazzetta dello Sport

03. Jayvin:- Carlo Ancelotti - 1. Edgar Davids

@AngeloHenriquez

Edgar Davids (circa 99/00), rated as one of the top 5 players in Serie A that season by Gazzetta dello Sport

03. Jayvin:- Carlo Ancelotti - 1. Edgar Davids

@AngeloHenriquez

Arghhh..was my second pick. Was hoping he would last till then.

what's the likelihood of us getting through the top of the list and heading back down again soon?

Heading to bed shortly, but I have my next pick, and paulo's too, so if it gets to us, I can keep it moving.

That's why im glad he had to make that decision :lol: although i dont think he'll be disappointed with my next pick. Depends what he's hoping for i guess lol

Oh come on, don't raise my hopes up.

Originally when i was planning to go with Lattek, I told Annah i was looking forward to trying a new formation, with players I hadn't had the chance to use before...and was talking about Beckenbauer...then I saw you pick Lattek as well, and knew my chances of that happening were pretty much gone :lol:
:devil:
I would have made the same choice as you.

Trust me it wasn't easy for me. I know Maradona wasn't at his peak but it is still Diego Maradona and even then, this version of Maradona will still probably be the best attacking player on this draft. I was really torn between the two of them and could have easily picked either.

Oh come on, don't raise my hopes up.

Trust me it wasn't easy for me. I know Maradona wasn't at his peak but it is still Diego Maradona and even then, this version of Maradona will still probably be the best attacking player on this draft. I was really torn between the two of them and could have easily picked either.

I had the same dilemma. I thought about passing him up since his time there was short, but the thought of you having a lineup with maradona and beckenbauer in the spine would have been too much :lol:

My next pick will be of the attacking variety, if that helps.

what's the likelihood of us getting through the top of the list and heading back down again soon?

Heading to bed shortly, but I have my next pick, and paulo's too, so if it gets to us, I can keep it moving.
Send it to me, if you want to. I leave for work in 10 minutes, but I'm around all day.

Last edited:

You can pm if you want, I just woke up so am here for a while.

The talk of Ronaldo made me wonder... how come no one picked Bobby Robson? Such a nice guy and he had a good eye for attacking talent...

:eek:

BOBBY-formation-tactics.png

I had the same dilemma. I thought about passing him up since his time there was short, but the thought of you having a lineup with maradona and beckenbauer in the spine would have been too much :lol:

My next pick will be of the attacking variety, if that helps.

Yeah I got an idea of who it's going to be unless you have a massive surprise planned.

Anyway here is a short translated interview about Lattek and Maradona

http://www.tz.de/sport/fussball/udo-lttek-ueber-diego-maradona-tz-823199.html

Munich - Udo Lattek (65) - the most successful coach Trained Germany between 1981 and 1983 with FC Barcelona. And met Diego Maradona. The interview.

Mr. Lattek what Maradona is for a man?

Lattek: Lovable, cute, incredibly above normal. He was not arrogant, without airs and graces. Diego stood up for his teammates and even conducted negotiations premiums for the team. He had only one problem.

That would be?

Lattek: He always had a huge clan around. People who exploited him. Maradona has left Barcelona as a penniless man and had to go to Naples.

What stories are you still current?

Lattek: Spaniards are very punctual, contrary to popular belief. The team was sitting in the bus.Departure sieben clock. Diego was not there. I had to decide: I wait on him. Then the player would have kept me weak. Or I go and let stand Diego. Then there would have been war with him.

Diego Maradona: Between chorea and "Dance of God"
... Samba, Samba all night! Maradona makes the "Dance of God"

What did you do?

Lattek: I'm the bus driver said to door and leave. The team applauded.

And the reaction Maradona?

Lattek: He ran for president, complained and a few days later I was released.

Are you Maradona met again?

Lattek: Yes. A year later I visited him in Naples.

When he saw you, he was determined not thrilled, right?

Lattek: Quite the contrary. I watched in a pub. He looked at me and marched in the middle of the unit up to me, hugged me and said: Udo, great that you're there. Let's go eat together tonight.

You have accepted the offer?

Lattek: Of course. The man has lived, I did not want to miss.

What do you think when you see him today on the sidelines as coach of the Argentine?

Lattek: I am pleased. Football is everything for him. I do not begrudge him that he is happy. Only on not Saturday. Because of course I think about Germany.

Interview: tg

Oh and Lattek labelled Maradona as the best player he managed, ahead of Beckenbauer for what it's worth. Lots of interesting stories during Lattek's reign at Barca, was always doomed for failure with that toxic political atmosphere.

That team is going to lose 9/10 times against a well balanced side in a draft vote. Way too attackin.

Of course, but it would be fecking brilliant to watch. Shearer and Ruud on the bench, and imagine that once you could get a bit of Gascoigne instead of Amor. I know, even more fecked, but beautiful.

Isn't the point to reminisce about great managers? You have one right there, and bear in mind Romario is him bringing him up at PSV, then Figo at Sporting, then Ronaldo at Barca, then Ruud when back at PSV...

Genius, absolute genius. Thanks for the memories Sir Bobby, RIP :(

Of course, but it would be fecking brilliant to watch. Shearer and Ruud on the bench, and imagine that once you could get a bit of Gascoigne instead of Amor. I know, even more fecked, but beautiful.

Isn't the point to reminisce about great managers? You have one right there, and bear in mind Romario is him bringing him up at PSV, then Figo at Sporting, then Ronaldo at Barca, then Ruud when back at PSV...

Hristo was past his best when Sir Bobby managed him at Barca and the Figo he managed at Sporting was at the end of the day, a "talent". Even though having a peak Romario and a peak Ronaldo alongside him with Pep in midfield was damn tasty.

Isn't the point to reminisce about great managers?
You have one right there, and bear in mind Romario is him bringing him up at PSV, then Figo at Sporting, then Ronaldo at Barca, then Ruud when back at PSV...

I thought so too, but at the moment, I'm really happy that Guttmann came back to Benfica for a short 2nd spell in '66 during Eusebio's peak. Because the beautiful story about Guttmann being his mentor, bringing the young Eusebio into the team who then scored those two game winning goals in the European Cup final against Real would just lead to endless discussions about him still being a talent and not at his best yet.

Hristo was past his best when Sir Bobby managed him at Barca and the Figo he managed at Sporting was at the end of the day, a "talent". Even though having a peak Romario and a peak Ronaldo alongside him with Pep in midfield was damn tasty.

Granted that Hristo wasn't the same in his second stint. Play that hristo next to Romario and he would have done better. But yeah, I did put him there fully aware about that, you would just get Hoddle later anyway.

You are wrong re: Figo though. He played for Robson at Barca as well, my point about Sporting was related to what a wonderful record Sir Bobby had spotting and bringing through young talent. Not any old talent: Romario, Figo, Ronaldo, Ruud... some of -and including- the very best attacking talent emerging in the 90s.

That's huge in my book and one of the issues I had with the peak criterion. What is the mark of a great manager? Some just happen to crash into great sides built by someone else, some are shit at spotting and developing talent, others can't stay anywhere for any reasonable amount of time to actually build a team...

Would have loved to see this be more about the managers, not them being no more than the constraint when picking yet another superteam.

Sir Bobby was one of the three I was referring to - he was my second choice after Del Bosque. Jupp Heynckes and Mourinho were the others.. I think Joses all-time XI would be pretty damn formidable and balanced

Cech
Zanetti Lucio Carvalho Cole
Makalele
Sneijder Di Maria
C. Ronaldo D.Drogba A. Robben

Last edited:
Sir Bobby was one of the two I was referring to - he was my second choice after Del Bosque. Jupp Heynckes and Mourinho were the others.. I think Joses all-time XI would be pretty damn formidable and balanced

Cech
Makalele
Sneijder Di Maria

Ballack instead of Di Maria for me, Di Maria never really hit the same heights for mourinho and that midfield will be a bit lightweight for this draft otherwise.

Sir Bobby was one of the two I was referring to - he was my second choice after Del Bosque. Jupp Heynckes and Mourinho were the others.. I think Joses all-time XI would be pretty damn formidable and balanced

Cech
Makalele
Sneijder Di Maria

I would exchange Ronaldo and Robben's positions and put Lampard or even Deco(was brilliant for Porto) ahead of Di Maria. Mourinho played a vital role in Di Maria's transformation into the industrious and wonderful player that he is now, by instilling that work-ethic and mental fortitude in him. Even Di Maria has acknowledged Mourinho's role in his development as a player. However, I don't think Di Maria was ever utilized as a midfielder in a midfield trio under Mourinho and he was rather inconsistent as well.

Ballack instead of Di Maria for me, Di Maria never really hit the same heights for mourinho and that midfield will be a bit lightweight for this draft otherwise.
I would exchange Ronaldo and Robben's positions and put Lampard or even Deco(was brilliant for Porto) ahead of Di Maria. Mourinho played a vital role in Di Maria's transformation into the industrious and wonderful player that he is now, by instilling that work-ethic and mental fortitude in him. Even Di Maria has acknowledged Mourinho's role in his development as a player. However, I don't think Di Maria was ever utilized as a midfielder in a midfield trio under Mourinho and he was rather inconsistent as well.

Yeah I have to agree, more wishful thinking on my part. I'd go with Deco if I had to and yep switch Ronaldo/Robben. Lamps as great as he is as an attacking mid would get eaten alive in this draft and I love Ballack.. but the one who played for Chelsea wasn't the same player.

Also my rant about Ronaldo in 99/00 is irrelevant because Raees picked Del Bosque. His remark about Ronaldo being managed by Lippi confused me! Jeez I'm having a mare these last couple of pages... :o

Aye - confused me to, I had it switched round (thought R had picked Lippi). Which is why I brought up the injury situation/poor spell and whatnot - which is completely irrelevant, obviously, since Lippi ain't involved here at all.

Italy was fun in the 80-s :lol:

NaturalIlliterateFugu.gif

IdenticalInfamousCarpenterant.gif

BruisedMenacingBluetonguelizard.gif

Last edited:
Ouch! Great pick and timing :lol:

He's been gone, banned, binned and double-blocked far too long my Frankie boy :drool:

If he gets the Rijkaard-Davids-Seedorf midfield this is practically over. That is probably my favorite central midfield of all time.