Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

172854615-manager-david-moyes-of-manchester-united-at-gettyimages.jpg

New Kit :drool:

That looks shit. Also look at the agony on Moyes face, even though he's smiling. He has seen so much pain.

172854692-manager-david-moyes-of-manchester-united-at-gettyimages.jpg

Photographers: "That's great David, but maybe another one with you on the other side of the crest"

172854646-manager-david-moyes-of-manchester-united-at-gettyimages.jpg

Photographers: "Yeah that's good, let's try it from another angle though, maybe from above?"

172854641-manager-david-moyes-of-manchester-united-at-gettyimages.jpg

"OK, I think we've covered that"

So perhaps Mourinho did get spurned by Fergie heh heh

Miguel Delaney @MiguelDelaney
Moyes claiming he got the call early May, then.
1h
8bd92e969ee4ab03db3a47b6ccf4bb56_normal.png

Mo @BlueMo1905
@MiguelDelaney After being rejected by Mourinho I take it. Pep, Hazard & Jose, 3 rejections in the past 12 months, Ouch.

@BlueMo1905 United actually 'rejected' Mourinho. Minority of board wanted him. Majority thought he'd be uncontrollable...

@BlueMo1905 ... Mendes desperately pushing for the job in May, despite Chelsea agreement.

Even though I wanted Mourinho, I am happy with Moyes.

Excellent interview. Moyes sounded in control.

On Transfers:

Said that we're working really hard to get the best players in

On Rooney:

Again said that they've a very, very good relationship and he's not for sale. Also said that coaches have told him that he's in his best shape for years.

Youth Players:

Said that his main priority is to integrate youngsters in the team and they'll be taking some of the youngsters on the squad.

Ryan Giggs:

Said that he's amazed by Giggsy. Also said that Neville and Giggs are familiar with Man Utd and that'll help Moyes in managing the club.

The rest of it was pretty standard stuff.

Fantastic, means Januzaj will be going on tour for sure. I'd expect Michael Keane to also go as well as the likes of maybe Lignard, Cole, Thorpe and Vermijl. How about Petrucci? Wonder how he's getting on, he might go as well if he's back in fitness.

It's always nice to hear that Giggs is helping our new coach settle in. I suppose that's going to be a major part of his coaches role for a while under Moyes.

Well he is really diplomatic when it comes to transfers and doesn't let anything slip and even if it drives us Muppets mad I think it's the right route to take, would hate of him to do a Harry and announce every other week which player he wants to sign.

That looks shit. Also look at the agony on Moyes face, even though he's smiling. He has seen so much pain.
Same look as murray sports oftentimes. In fact, they look a bit alike. Not raysyst.

Still think it's possibly not wise to overlook the prospect that we have a bunch of coaches (Manager, assistant, first team coach and two senior coaches) with either absolutely no experience in the role at all or no experience in the role at the level they're going to be asked to work at.

I'm fully supportive of Moyes being appointed and his right to pick whomever he likes to do whatever job he likes and to structure his backroom staff how he sees fit. But him aside I'm concerned that we've gone from coaches who spent a good few years at the level you'd expect Manchester United coaches to be at to a few people who to some degree or another will be effectively learning on the job.

I think you look too much to experience and don't see other more important things. All the coaches that Moyes appointed from Everton are very experienced and the former players bridge the gap between them and the club/squad.

I think you look too much to experience and don't see other more important things. All the coaches that Moyes appointed from Everton are very experienced and the former players bridge the gap between them and the club/squad.

Why is bridging the gap important?

Did you honestly think even for a moment when Ferguson retired "I hope the new manger bridges the gap between the coaching and playing staff" - because it was honestly not a consideration for me.

Did you honestly think even for a moment when Ferguson retired "I hope the new manger bridges the gap between the coaching and playing staff" - because it was honestly not a consideration for me.

Why is experience important at all? Phelan, Steel and Rene didn't have much experience at 'this' level when they came to United either. Moyes or any new manager at any club are always going to bring their own staff to the club so I am not sure why people are surprised

Do you really not think that the players and coaches getting along and having mutual respect from the get go is important?

Some pricks are already on his back it seems. God forbid people would try and make the hardest job in football easier by actually supporting him. Enough people will have the daggers out for him soon without United fans joining in too.

Stickles has some of the strangest opinions i've seen on here. The Moyes appointment didn't excite me in the slightest, but finding a negative somehow in him getting United players past and present involved in the coaching set-up takes a special kind of reasoning.

Do you really not think that the players and coaches getting along and having mutual respect from the get go is important?

When did I say that?

Be easier if we debate what was actually said and not resort to "Do you really not think" and then just invent something.

When did I say that?

Be easier if we debate what was actually said and not resort to "Do you really not think" and then just invent something.

Clearly by 'bridging the gap' I meant ensuring that that mutual respect and good working relationship was there immediately. I think it's pretty clear that that is one of the major factors behind Moyes thinking for these appointments.

There have been some completely bizarre promotions recently.

Aye, I'm not sure the new rep system is producing the best results. No issue with people being promoted with different ideas but some of them have been strange to say the least.

FOOTBALL FIXTURES
David Moyes's first Premier League game in charge of Manchester Unitedhas been moved for live television coverage.
The champions travel to Swansea in their opening fixture, which now takes place at 17:30 BST on Saturday 17 August. It will be shown live on Sky Sports.