Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

Also, I don't believe for one second that Neville is going to be the main man in terms of leading training and match preparation - as mentioned above, Moyes handles a lot of that himself anyway, but I suspect Neville will be part of a team of coaches.

Yes, SkySports may be reporting that he's going to be appointed as "first team coach" but I see that more as meaning "a coach involved with the first team" as opposed to "the main coach".

In a nutshell. He's part of a staff that includes a more hands on manager, an assistant and an experienced coach in Lumsden. we're not exactly putting our team in the hands of a novice.

Its fine if they're actually any good as coaches. They're obviously expereinced players and that has to help but its not that simple. Some players make good coaches, others don't. Jobs for the boys is fine if they can do the jobs as well as another candidate. Hopefully some significant thought has gone into it.

Nah, I doubt it. I expect Moyes just came in with no thought what so ever and appointed a few of his mates.

"Let's have it lads!" were his first words when arriving for training. "We're gonna rake in the doe boys! feck United!".

Some of you are ridiculous. The funniest part is that most of the ones complaining likely don't even have a clue about how good any of the people appointed actually are, yet amazingly are still going into doom and gloom mode. People still treating Moyes as if he's some mug with no clue what he's doing. If Moyes fecking appointed people like Neville then I'm confident that the guy believes it's the right decision.

j9tg.jpg

No more SAF press conferences, this is fecking bullshit .

Very pleased when I heard this. Offers some form of continuity despite all the (understandable) changes that Moyes has made. I'd put money on one of the Fledglings stepping up as the next manager.

[Solius]Why are we employing Giggsy who has 0 experience as a player/coach[/Solius]

My issue was with him being the main first team coach, Giggs being a general coach among others is fine, as is Phil. Check yo' facts son.

And so the SAF legacy begins. May it last many decades (when Phil Jones joins us as a Player coach). We owe that man SO much.

So that's Butt, Giggsy and Neville from the Class of '92 here.

I expect Scholesy to coach academy and Gaz is already an United ambassador. Just hope Becks also starts working for United.

Not really bothered about Beckham getting involved with United again really - although from a marketing point of view, I suspect he'd make sense as an ambassador.

He has real global appeal, and for him to be representing United once again would surely improve our ability to attract yet more commercial partners and sponsorship deals. Of course, any kind of role with United would be beneficial for Beckham himself as well, but I don't see the problem with that.

As far as bringing him in as a coach goes, I'm not so sure he'd really improve on what we have already.

Clever appointments by Moyes. Brings in his trusted guys, and then appoints United men in Giggs and Neville - keeping in touch with present, past, and hopefully future.

Not really bothered about Beckham getting involved with United again really - although from a marketing point of view, I suspect he'd make sense as an ambassador.

He has real global appeal, and for him to be representing United once again would surely improve our ability to attract yet more commercial partners and sponsorship deals. Of course, any kind of role with United would be beneficial for Beckham himself as well, but I don't see the problem with that.

As far as bringing him in as a coach goes, I'm not so sure he'd really improve on what we have already.

He could be our Zidane. Telephoning transfer targets to tell them how they need to come to united etc. Who wouldn't take a phonecall from Becks!

My issue was with him being the main first team coach, Giggs being a general coach among others is fine, as is Phil. Check yo' facts son.

Moyes brought in an assistant manager and another experienced coach in Lumsden. What makes you think Neville wouldn't lean on them for advice if needed?

Brilliant move by Moyes by appointing both Giggs and Neville to the coaching setup today. Keeps the players playing the "Manchester United way" which Fergie himself once said was very important. It's what Barcelona do too. Longevity is unbeatable.

Very fond of these appointments. Moyes knows these guys, the fans know them and so does the club which ensures some sort of stability and continuation of the foundation Sir Alex has provided.

It's kinda freaky to think Giggs is only 10 years younger then Moyes. It's a great day for the club.

Fake twitter accounts are shit. (With the exception of thebigsam)

He's never coached before in his life and he just straight up gets the first team coach job at United?

Seriously? never coached in his life? You are aware that he has been working towards his UEFA badges and to do that he will have to be doing some coaching which would probably be an involvement with the youth teams etc. You cant do UEFA badges without some sort of coaching work as you do them.
On top of that he has been playing for a hell of a long time at the highest level from when he was a young lad. He will have worked and experienced every training drill there is and then some and during that time will have gained an understanding of why, when and how to run those training drills. Add in the tactical knowledge he will have gained on his UEFA courses with the tactical knowledge of all those years playing under Fergie and you have the perfect candidate to join the Utd coaching staff.

I guess you would prefer Joe Kinnear?

I've got to admit I was slightly worried when the Everton staff were announced en masse with Moyes. Now with Neville and Giggs to join Butt and Scholes in coaching roles I'm absolutely delighted. Fergies legacy will be passed down through the ranks to the youngsters joining the club and the cycle of success will continue :)

I've got to admit I was slightly worried when the Everton staff were announced en masse with Moyes. Now with Neville and Giggs to join Butt and Scholes in coaching roles I'm absolutely delighted. Fergies legacy will be passed down through the ranks to the youngsters joining the club and the cycle of success will continue :)

Agreed. Success breeds success and those lads have tasted it at the highest level.

I just remembered Rene's quotes back in January about Giggs and Scholes about "protecting the culture of Manchester United in the dressing room." Having them on the coaching staff with Phil and Nicky Butt will help maintain that, must have been a factor in bringing them along at a time when a big part of MUFC culture has just walked out the door.

good move by moyes to bring in phil neville and appoints giggs as player/coach. given the fact that phelan, rene and eric steele all leaves, to bring in a familiar face as part of the coaching staff is the best thing moyes can do now.

incredible really to have 3 or 4 from the class of 92 part of the coaching staff now.