Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

His press conference will apparently be held from his sunlounger.

I don't think he knows that he'll have a press conference the 5th.

He doesn't have a mail application on his Blackberry, you see.

Moyesy must be having 1 hell of a holiday.

Have to say, I'm not impressed by his start to his tenure here.

No signings, a lot of vacation in Florida. No speaking to the public. And that atrocious fecking tracksuit.

No amount of angry glaring can make up for this start. He'll need a result against Swansea to save his arse me thinks.

you're joking....right?

Some people need a sense of humour transplant. Also, can someone change the thread title to Manchester United or just United. I don't know why but Man United irks me more than it should.

Not really. IMO they are exactly as bad as each other because you pronounce man utd the same.

Really? Haven't seen that much of football with English commentary so I thought that it is pronounced as Man Utd-T-D and always thought why people do this.

Really? Haven't seen that much of football with English commentary so I thought that it is pronounced as Man Utd-T-D and always thought why people do this.

Nah, the Utd is pronounced United if you know what I mean. The only real shortening of United is U as in 'Man Utd' which has always been thought of as a travesty but is becoming more and more acceptable as a lot of the younger fans call United Man Utd without the hang ups we older ones particularly the Manchester reds have.

Actually the older, older Reds have no problem with Man Utd because it was used a lot (as far as I'm aware) in the 60s-80s, before the term became associated with the young, Sky Sports/gloryhunter generation in the 1990s. On the Caf back in the day the main theme of these discussions was that only an old-timer was allowed to say Man Utd without it sounding tacky and wrong.

Actually the older, older Reds have no problem with Man Utd because it was used a lot (as far as I'm aware) in the 60s-80s, before the term became associated with the young, Sky Sports/gloryhunter generation in the 1990s. On the Caf back in the day the main theme of these discussions was that only an old-timer was allowed to say Man Utd without it sounding tacky and wrong.

Nah, I don't it was used at all in the 80s. Well, not that I can remember.

It definitely was, although I can't attest to how much. I wasn't alive but I've heard/seen it used plenty in videos and books of the time. But the point remains, it was more acceptable before the Sky generation jumped on it.

It definitely was, although I can't attest to how much. I wasn't alive but I've heard/seen it used plenty in videos and books of the time. But the point remains, it was more acceptable before the Sky generation jumped on it.

Not in the part of Manchester where I grew up. But yeah I suspect there wouldn't have been much of an issue had anyone referred to us as Man Utd back then. I do think it sounds a bit silly though, just like New Yoo or Man Cee do. That said Man Cee's got a nice ring to it.

Craig Norwood @CraigNorwood
David Moyes and backroom staff start work at Carrington on Monday, players back in on Wednesday & first managers press conference Friday.

Craig Norwood @CraigNorwood
David Moyes and backroom staff start work at Carrington on Monday, players back in on Wednesday & first managers press conference Friday.

So Howard Nurse was right :eek:

It was definitely used a long time before the 80s. Here's a piece of club merchandise from a shop owned by Sir Matt:

GeoffBentBadgeC1957.jpg

TomClare said:
This is an old chestnut that comes up time and time again. To give you a little bit of history about where it came from and how the term "Man Utd" first came to be used, I have to go back to the 50's.

If you were to look at a newspaper from that era, and particularly the football results section, you would see just what a simple explanation there is for it. Newspapers back then were done in an old fashioned way where the compositors (typesetters) used to lay out the pages of the newspapers before they went on the presses for printing. With the results sequences, they obviously could not typeset the full names of each individual club as the columns that needed to be uniformly set out, just would not match up. So what they used to do was abbreviate the name of each football club, and once they had done this the columns would line up as they were needed to be. Hence you would see a a team like Birmingham City abbreviated to B'ham Cty, Sunderland to S'land, Sheffield Wed to Sheff W and so on. So consequently, Manchester United would be set up as Man Utd or Man Utd, depending upon which newspaper it was.

Certainly, those latter two terms had nothing whatsoever to do with Munich. It's a story that's done the rounds for years and has no mileage in it whatsoever. Just people trying to put a different slant on things and like a rolloing stone, it's gathered stories as it's gone along.

The BBC back then was the main audio/tv outlet, but they would never abbreviate a team's name and always used to give clubs their full title.

However, in the mid 60's we started to see ITV come more into the football commentary side of things, and also, there was another breed of football journalist that started to appear, and it's from here that you started to hear "Man Utd" used more and more frequently. It was nothing more than sloppy phraseology and sloppy journalism. Times were changing back then and as the game started to become more and more high profile, so did those two terms. Fans picked up on it and it became a normal thing for opposition fans to use those terms. There was never any real disrespect in it - it was just what they saw and what they read.

It's interesting when you look back... even Big Fat Ron when he was at Albion, United, and clubs after that, always referred to United as "Man Utd". Just sloppiness.

On another note; there was no club merchandise store around in the 50's early 60's. The first shop was actually a little wooden hut (that was owned by Sir Matt!) that appeared underneath the Munich Clock in the mid-60's. It sold things like lapel badges rosettes etc and the team's name was abbreviated on those items.... that little hut developed into what became known as the Megastore, and then when Edwards got his grubby little hands on it (he bought out Sandy Busby) he jumped on Michael Knighton's idea regarding merchandising and the thing we see today, is what has developed from that initial little red hut!

Must admit ive been getting a touch of the hystericals recemtly. I realise the contract doesn't kick in until Monday, but surely he has been working behind the scenes for the past 6 weeks? If not I would be rather pissed.

I don't like reding things like he hasnt spoken To Rooney yet. IMO the Rooney situation should already be sorted by now.

Then players like Nani, Anderson and now Evra all need their futures resolved. All while going on pre season tour and hopefully bringing in new players.

It's a lot to cram into the next few weeks, especially when you consider a lot of clubs have already done some business in June.

Have to say, I'm not impressed by his start to his tenure here.

No signings, a lot of vacation in Florida. No speaking to the public. And that atrocious fecking tracksuit.

No amount of angry glaring can make up for this start. He'll need a result against Swansea to save his arse me thinks.

FFS , his job does not start until 1st July.

I dont use Man Utd myself , never have done, but I dont see any problem with it.