Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

That's a bit shortsighted surely. We're Man Utd not Chelsea, we're champions. We'll give Moyes plenty of time to get things right, his way..... and anyone who doesnt agree isnt a real fan (imo)

Sensible people will, but United have a lot of less than sensible fans. Especially if some are lost, the media will go into overdrive "United are done," "Moyes already shown to be a huge mistake."

Could be a rough few months ahead.

People are unhappy because he took a holiday, one can only imagine the reaction if we fail to win any of our first 3 games (a distinct possibility)

Sensible people will, but United have a lot of less than sensible fans. Especially if some are lost, the media will go into overdrive "United are done," "Moyes already shown to be a huge mistake."

Could be a rough few months ahead.

Even the "less sensible" should look at those opening fixtures and realise patience may be needed (the key word there being "should")

The media can go fox trot themselves

People are unhappy because he took a holiday, one can only imagine the reaction if we fail to win any of our first 3 games (a distinct possibility)

I understand that, but we're not City fans, we dont panic. We know its a marathon not a sprint. If we do lose a couple of those early fixtures, it'll be very interesting to see how Moyes reacts. We'll learn a lot about what kind of United manager he's going to be (and I predict he'll do just fine!)

Its actually an advantage for Moyes having a tough start. Imagine if we had 5 shoe-ins and he lost of couple of those, then people would really start to panic ! His real test comes with the run of 'winable' fixtures that follow those openers. And by then he'll well and truly be up and running. He'll do fine, "in Moyes we must trust"

I understand that, but we're not City fans, we dont panic. We know its a marathon not a sprint. If we do lose a couple of those early fixtures, it'll be very interesting to see how Moyes reacts. We'll learn a lot about what kind of United manager he's going to be (and I predict he'll do just fine!)
In one way, it might be an advantage, get some of the "panic games" out the door right away, Moyes can then settle in without them hanging over his head.

EDIT: As you posted(better than I did) while I was typing, hah.

Let's not forget that even if we still had Fergie at the helm those opening fixtures would still be very difficult, and with us being notoriously slow starters over the years it wouldn't be surprising if we dropped several points in those games even with the great man in charge.

The same thing would happen that seems to happen almost every season, United start slowly, draw or lose a couple of games, the media write us and Fergie off, some fans start getting twitchy but then by Christmas we are back in the mix.

Obviously the main difference is that all eyes will be on Moyes and I honestly hope that the fans give him the same patience that they would give Fergie at the beginning of the season.

Woah, think am really the only one that expressed annoyance of him being on vacation - not people. And to answer the question posed by a few, yes I am seriously annoyed that he is on vacation but, I am also one that applauds his appointment. My bad ... I think.

not just you

I laugh when I read people say "how can he take so much time off?"

"Time off" only actually applies when you're in employment. He's not technically in employment with United yet, so its not "time off"

Every senior member will set out a plan, tasks etc. to his team so they know exactly what to do. Plus, having a mobile phone makes you available at any time.

People seriously need to get a grip and stop panicking like little girls

The first home game being against Jose is brutal tbh - not in terms of difficult of the fixture exactly, but given the whole narrative of Sir Alex's successor being chosen and the circus that will follow Jose everyday he is the Chelsea boss. Perhaps that attention on Jose could give Moyes some relief from the hacks, but the stories write themselves in that game.

Given how big our fan base is, there will bound to be large sections that turn on Moyes the second we concede a goal - we can't expect a group our size to all be on the same page. Those that dissent will likely be very vocal in the sense that the media will be falling over themselves to stick a microphone in front of any idiot to have a moan, from which they can stir it and a myth can grow that a majority of United fans are against him.

I guess all we can do is try to be equally vocal in our support of the manager to drown out the doubters.

So much for that famed Scottish work ethic. The cnut is still on his fecking vacation, while the league is just about out of reach what with that fixture list. Lazy arsed git. Fergie would have changed the fixture list, or gotten Gill to do it rather.

I think the first home game against Jose is simply another game, nothing brutal about it. Too much is being made of Jose in this regard. So much angst over so many assumptions well before the game is played.

Until then we've got Osman and Jagielka signed and ready already. Bring on Thiago, Lewandowski, Mata, Oscar and Hazard I'd say! :drool:

I think the first home game against Jose is simply another game, nothing brutal about it. Too much is being made of Jose in this regard. So much angst over so many assumptions well before the game is played.

I mean brutal in terms of the significance of facing the man many tipped to succeed Sir Alex. Facing Chelsea at any time of the season regardless of their manager is tough (whilst they still have Roman's money anyway) but in terms of the media circus then Jose being there just adds more pressure to the first home game.

Many, many fans panicked when we were up by 16 points and lost a game in April. The panic has been very noticeable on here for quite some time and it's ridiculous, often borderline hysteria.

Moyes will have a very tough time and a lot of the pressure will come from United fans. The bickering on this forum will be ugly.

Many, many fans panicked when we were up by 16 points and lost a game in April. The panic has been very noticeable on here for quite some time and it's ridiculous, often borderline hysteria.

Moyes will have a very tough time and a lot of the pressure will come from United fans. The bickering on this forum will be ugly.

The fans who actually go to the games will get right behind him right from the off. They will treat it like we MUST do our bit to keep the success rolling. If anything his initial support will be stronger (certainly louder) than for SAF

I'll definitely be going to a couple of those early home games, the atmosphere will be tremendous

I think if anything us chasing down a team will be better this year.

If we are leading and end up bottling a league win it could be a very difficult start.

If we keep the pace and overtake late on I think our momentum could take us to a brilliant Moyes start.

Crystal Palace at home is the only one in the first 5 games where failing to win would be a disaster, the rest are rather tough and at Anfield and Etihad gettting a point would be a success. In a way it's good though, there'll be less pressure on Moyes to peform because we shouldn't be expecting miracles so early on. Even under Ferguson 8-10 points from these 5 games would be considered a good return. We have some fine looking fixtures afterwards so we'll catch up anyway.

Crystal Palace at home is the only one in the first 5 games where failing to win would be a disaster, the rest are rather tough and at Anfield and Etihad gettting a point would be a success. In a way it's good though, there'll be less pressure on Moyes to peform because we shouldn't be expecting miracles so early on. Even under Ferguson 8-10 points from these 5 games would be considered a good return. We have some fine looking fixtures afterwards so we'll catch up anyway.

That's hardly the correct attitude. I'm sure Moyes won't be bringing that state of mind here. Taking points from your rivals is the way titles are won. Moyes wasn't at all impressed when Everton drew with Arsenal at the Emirates at the end of the season when they were still pushing for a European spot so I doubt he'll come here thinking that only a loss to palace in the opening five would be disasterous when we're pushing for titles.

That's hardly the correct attitude. I'm sure Moyes won't be bringing that state of mind here. Taking points from your rivals is the way titles are won. Moyes wasn't at all impressed when Everton drew with Arsenal at the Emirates at the end of the season when they were still pushing for a European spot so I doubt he'll come here thinking that only a loss to palace in the opening five would be disasterous when we're pushing for titles.

taking everything into account he's not wrong (and neither are you). From a fan's point of view you should give a new manager support from the start, but expecting miracles right off the bat isn't exactly a good thing to do right now, because that would just end up turning into a messy debacle. We should have some patience, and it's not exactly "excusable" but both Moyes & SAF have been known to turn up the pressure in the latter parts of the season, plus the first couple of games are really tough, 3 points from each match is anything but a given, even under SAF. That's not to say we should expect us to lose/draw these games as we are United at the end of the day, but it won't be the end of the world if we do taking all of this into account.

However Moyes on the other hand while having continued support most likely realises what's at stake and what kind of shoes he's stepped into. It'll be anything but easy, and the "excuses" might only last so long, he can't afford not to be at or near the top of the table. A manager should always have a "must-win" mentality in order to be succesfull, and I think he's got it.

It won't be a disaster if we lose to City or Liverpool away, even under Ferguson we usually lost there (with the exception of last season which was a freak one), anything we might get there will be a nice bonus at the start of Moyes reign. Chelsea at home will be crucial because we can't really give them a boost because under Mourinho they'll probably have enough consistency to capitalise on that.

Of course he won't go out there with a loss on his mind, everyone wants to win but the fact that most people won't expect instant results with this set of fixtures might actually lift off some pressure which will be good.

taking everything into account he's not wrong (and neither are you). From a fan's point of view you should give a new manager support from the start, but expecting miracles right off the bat isn't exactly a good thing to do right now, because that would just end up turning into a messy debacle. We should have some patience, and it's not exactly "excusable" but both Moyes & SAF have been known to turn up the pressure in the latter parts of the season, plus the first couple of games are really tough, 3 points from each match is anything but a given, even under SAF. That's not to say we should expect us to lose/draw these games as we are United at the end of the day, but it won't be the end of the world if we do taking all of this into account.

However Moyes on the other hand while having continued support most likely realises what's at stake and what kind of shoes he's stepped into. It'll be anything but easy, and the "excuses" might only last so long, he can't afford not to be at or near the top of the table. A manager should always have a "must-win" mentality in order to be succesfull, and I think he's got it.

I also think he has it, I just wouldn't encourage an attitude where accepting mediocrity is normal at a club like ours. I don't imagine that Moyes will be thinking like that anyway. He will want to alleviate the initial (potential) pressure by winning against our rivals imo.

I think the fans will be behind Moyes completely, not expecting miracles, but agreeing to manage Manchester United means agreeing to uphold a higher set of standards than what he was previously used to. The post that I replied to suggested that losing to Palace would be the only disaster but Moyes or not, if that was the only one that we won out of those five fixtures it wouldn't be good enough would it?

I also think he has it, I just wouldn't encourage an attitude where accepting mediocrity is normal at a club like ours. I don't imagine that Moyes will be thinking like that anyway. He will want to alleviate the initial (potential) pressure by winning against our rivals imo.

I think the fans will be behind Moyes completely, not expecting miracles, but agreeing to manage Manchester United means agreeing to uphold a higher set of standards than what he was previously used to. The post that I replied to suggested that losing to Palace would be the only disaster but Moyes or not, if that was the only one that we won out of those five fixtures it wouldn't be good enough would it?

agree, and like I said at the end of the day this is still United we're talking about, and the high standard SAF set and the shape of the club he left to Moyes suggests we should always be in the hunt for a trophy, it's just that everyone needs time to settle in....

although I think the poster you replied to meant that more in a way of "single games"...not taking it all into account (just winning the Palace game out of those 5 like you mentioned), but more in a "losing to Palace would be a disaster" and "losing to Chelsea isn't a disaster", "losing or drawing with Liverpool wouldn't be a disaster" seperately.

agree, and like I said at the end of the day this is still United we're talking about, and the high standard SAF set and the shape of the club he left to Moyes suggests we should always be in the hunt for a trophy, it's just that everyone needs time to settle in....

although I think the poster you replied to meant that more in a way of "single games"...not taking it all into account (just winning the Palace game out of those 5 like you mentioned), but more in a "losing to Palace would be a disaster" and "losing to Chelsea isn't a disaster", "losing or drawing with Liverpool wouldn't be a disaster" seperately.

Ah, I didn't look at it like that but it makes more sense that way.

Both Fergie and Moyes's teams have traditionally been slow starters anyway. You dont win the league in December

Guys, do you think his fitness regime would change a bit since he's got a better/bigger squad?

Both Fergie and Moyes's teams have traditionally been slow starters anyway. You dont win the league in December

The start of the 2007/08 season went like this:

1) 0-0 vs Reading
2) 1-1 vs Portsmouth
3) 0-1 vs City

( random I know, but still... ;) )

If the Thiago transfer increases in price because Moyes has been sunning it in Ibiza and letting other potential suitors put in heft bids, I'm going to be livid.

The start of the 2007/08 season went like this:

1) 0-0 vs Reading
2) 1-1 vs Portsmouth
3) 0-1 vs City

( random I know, but still... ;) )

Yep. Yet if you looked at the performances in those games, there were good signs. The Reading game was when they decided to man mark everyone, we missed a few good chances and they go lucky. Portsmouth was a proper away game, decent point. And the City game we absolutely battered them, had 500 corners and lost to a Giovani wonder strike.

So yeah, context. Hope people do the same when judging Moyes.