Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

Now that Jose Mourinho has taken over Chelsea, the media are going to go crazy. Jose is their man, as far as they are concerned he is the best, the special one, and he is going to be all-conquering.

Up north, I can see Moyes sitting in his lonely office in Manchester quietly planning his domination of English football whilst the cameras and buzz stay down south with Mourinho and his catch phrases.

Now that Jose Mourinho has taken over Chelsea, the media are going to go crazy. Jose is their man, as far as they are concerned he is the best, the special one, and he is going to be all-conquering.

Up north, I can see Moyes sitting in his lonely office in Manchester quietly planning his domination of English football whilst the cameras and buzz stay down south with Mourinho and his catch phrases.

Saruman-christopher-lee-2509888-505-655.jpg

Less beard and hair though...

It will be some adjustment for Moyes when he realises players in the women's team had higher wages than the top earners in Everton. It's about time to start showing the fans we still have some money at the bottom of that chest.

I have no doubt this is exactly what Moyes would want and exactly on of the reasons we hired him. No circus like we will see in London.

All these managerial changes may have actually made Moyes job a little easier than it would be if he came into a stable top 4.

It will be some adjustment for Moyes when he realises players in the women's team had higher wages than the top earners in Everton. It's about time to start showing the fans we still have some money at the bottom of that chest.

United don't have a woman's team.

Whilst the idea of Moyes sneaking under the radar to claim his first PL title as Mourinho occupies the media with his attention seeking theatrics this season is a great one, its unlikely. This is Manchester United's (arguably the biggest club in the world's) first managerial change in near 27 years and Moyes is replacing the best Manager in the history of football. We won't escape the attention although starting as the underdogs is nothing new. At the end of last season City's era of dominance was the narrative whilst we were meant to be clinging to their coat tails for dear life as they swatted the rest of PL away with their all conquering swagger. Yeah, that materialised.

Whilst the idea of Moyes sneaking under the radar to claim his first PL title as Mourinho occupies the media with his attention seeking theatrics this season is a great one, its unlikely. This is Manchester United's (arguably the biggest club in the world's) first managerial change in near 27 years and Moyes is replacing the best Manager in the history of football. We won't escape the attention although starting as the underdogs is nothing new. At the end of last season City's era of dominance was the narrative whilst we were meant to be clinging to their coat tails for dear life as they swatted the rest of PL away with their all conquering swagger. Yeah, that materialised.

He won't escape attention, but he won't come under the daily scrutiny he would have had Mourinho not been appointed Chelsea manager. Unless Moyes does something stupid or we go on a shit streak then the media attention will die down after the first few games.

the media are never going to relax or de-focus on united. We sell newspapers whether we are winning brilliantly or losing like shite. Sure Jose will get the sound bites...but attention? Nah...it's always going to be with us, even more so if Moyes starts to f**k up...

the media are never going to relax or de-focus on united. We sell newspapers whether we are winning brilliantly or losing like shite. Sure Jose will get the sound bites...but attention? Nah...it's always going to be with us, even more so if Moyes starts to f**k up...

Of course there's always going to be attention on us, but what I'm talking about is the additional attention on Moyes because of the summer changes. Some of that will be lessened.

I know I wanted Mourinho (maybe so Chelsea didn't get him) but feck that.

I hope we drop pants and absolutely bum the shit out of everyone in the league this year. The utter, utter cringe bollocks that everyone has come out with saying that United is finished and Chelsea will win it easily this year I've had enough.

McGuinness' Moyes revelation

United's Academy head coach Paul McGuinness has revealed that the club has been aware of David Moyes' managerial potential since back in the mid-nineties.

McGuinness was alerted to the Scot's coaching skills during a course they attended together and was urged by Sir Alex Ferguson to approach the then-Preston defender. However, the timing was wrong and it has taken nine years for Moyes to end up at Old Trafford.
In an exclusive interview with ManUtd.com, McGuinness backed the Everton manager's arrival and admits he expects Sir Alex to still be a regular attendee at the youth matches next term.

"David Moyes has probably watched our youths a lot and the Reserves," he stated. "You see him at Under-21 games. One point about David that nobody really knows is I was the first one to try and get him here as a coach.
"I was on a full-badge coaching course with him and he stood out. He’d already done his coaching badges in Scotland but was still a player at Preston. He really stood out for me and the manager gave me the job as a director of the Centre of Excellence, where we needed coaches for the teams. I asked the manager and he said he knew his dad and knew David. He said why don’t you ask him so I rang him up and he said: ‘I would love to, I’m really flattered but, this week, I’m going to be made assistant-player manager of Preston’.

"So I said: ‘Alright, thank you very much’ and that was when I got Warren Joyce involved for the first time. I think he was at Burnley at that time as a player. He took the Under-16s with the likes of Wes Brown, Richie Wellens and Adam Griffin, these types of good players. So it was a good choice there as they have both been successful managers – Warren has obviously come back to us again after being a manager and David Moyes will be coming here. Obviously I’m a good judge of the managers!"

Moyes may have the toughest of acts to follow but McGuinness is convinced he will prove to be the right choice as Sir Alex's successor.
"You talk about it being a family club and my feeling on it is the manager has just got one of his relatives down from Scotland to take over," he explained. "That is how it feels - someone with the same beliefs, values and work ethic. Obviously he’s got to be his own man and will have to do things his own way but it will be another exciting period for the club to have some new slants on things. But I’m sure he will retain the same family values and the same values of the club."
Although Sir Alex will be missed, his presence at the recent Legends match against Real Madrid hints that he is likely to still be watching a lot of football in his retirement.
"I would like to think the manager will have to still come to the games," insisted McGuinness. "I’m not sure what he’s on about with the horse racing and going on an odd trip because it’s going to be interesting to see how he does.

"Each year, he’s won a trophy nearly every season, and each time, straight away, you get the feeling, for us too, that you have the celebrations and then it’s a bit flat. For the manager, then it's all over, straight on to the next project. That’s out of the way and the real enjoyment is all the work leading up to it. You have a brief celebration and then work again to start afresh. He’s been phenomenal doing that."He’s never rested on his laurels and this year will be an unbelievable experience for him – the first year he stops and is not driving for something. He will have to fill his time and I’m sure he will come and watch the youth teams and support everyone. That will be a massive inspiration to everybody as it always has been."
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-first-approach-for-david-moyes.aspx?pageNo=3

Moyes without a doubt is the best man for continuity. However, pressure will be on him not just to continue the traditions of the club but also the trophies we win on an annual basis.

It's informative watching Moyes in some of his press dealings, now that I'm watching him with an eye to him being the United manager I see a lot of class and a man who I'd be happy to represent Man Utd

http://www.youtube.com/SVKNCFyHmsc
http://www.youtube.com/GdnbAOSuQkA

He's got a great manner of speaking where he makes a point very calmly, a lot of eye contact with his questioner, and doesn't spout fluff for the sake of it.

I'll be honest, I wanted Maureen for a bit of "guaranteed" success and for someone with the Ego to take on the biggest job in world football but the more I have thought about Moyes and read about him the more I am sure we have the right man for our club.

Hard work pays dividends and he's not afraid of it. On top of that, he seems to actually have a bit of philosophy and dynamism in his work and I think with a bigger canvas and bigger budget than he had at Everton I think he's capable of doing some special things with us.

I don't think it will work out, not because he isn't a good manager (he is) but I don't think he is an exceptional manager (like SAF). Because we don't spend as much as Chelsea or City SAF's greatness has resulted in us still picking up the trophies. City have already spent over 50 million and will probably spend another 50. Chelsea will spend stupid amounts also. Yet Moyes will get criticised next season for not winning the league. It's an impossible job to follow.

Moyes has a lot of respect from coaches/managers all over Britain and Europe and has been invited to speak at a few conferences... I think we'll all be surprised how highly rated he is the more we get to know him. Another example:

Hard work pays dividends and he's not afraid of it. On top of that, he seems to actually have a bit of philosophy and dynamism in his work and I think with a bigger canvas and bigger budget than he had at Everton I think he's capable of doing some special things with us.
Hard work is a given at this level, to succeed you need a bit of inspiration to go with the perspiration.

I respect the decision to hire Moyes, and the key words from Ferguson and Sir Bobby centre around "work ethic" and "stability breeds success." While I agree with that statement in principle, stability only offers a platform for success. The ladder has to be built from the skill of the individual in managing his resources in the best way. Armed with a 6-year contract it is time for Moyes to step up and prove he is a great manager. There can be no excuses with the resources he has at his disposal, including the input of Ferguson.

For all the talk on his work ethic, integrity and stability he will ultimately be judged on trophies, that is the reality at United. With Everton he can be excused his lack of silverware and be judged more on the collective improvement and consistency in their situation since 2002. United are league champions with a young improving squad that needs to be improved further and avoid regression.

As Pete says hard work is a given, it goes without saying. Does Moyes have that extra quality that seperates good managers from great ones? Time will obviously tell us.

sort of a random comment, but...I don't expect that much from Moyes in his 1st season, but if he's really been given a relatively big budget to work with this off-season and manages to aquire the players he wants, especialy in midfield since that's where our weakness is, then I think he might surprise a few of us. I'm very curious as to how he'll cope in Europe to be honest. In part I'm worried because of experience (or should I say lack there of in this case) and his record against big teams, even though those were hardly fair fights from a talent point of view. But on another hand what I "like" about this situation is that he's definitely an adaptable manager, he's had to work with limited budget at Everton and didn't exactly have a certain way of playing, he always played his teams to get the best out of his player's abilities.
Now he'll take the reigns of an already exceptionaly talented club meaning he won't be limited in that sense, one thing I'm sure of is that we've yet to see what Moyes can do and I really doubt we'll play like Everton did last year for example. I think it'll be a completely new situation to him as well.

I think it's unrealistic to expect the world from Moyes in his first season. This is the biggest challenge of his career, we're hardly going to win the treble in our first season. However, I do expect a title challenge and to make it out of the Champions League group stages.

That's fecking terrifying. It's like some sort of watermelon rapist.

Still a bit concerned about this, although I would've said the same had we appointed anyone barring Mourinho. It's just that the step up from Everton manager to Sir Alex's replacement is so vast that it's a complete fools game to try and predict how much of a success he will be given that nobody has ever really had to do what he's done as a manager. All the stuff about him having 'integrity', 'work-ethic', etc just flies out the window in the face of the completely absurd challenge that he's up against.

It doesn't (fly out the window) though. It's a big, massive Challenge. That's why a man with great integrity and work ethic has been chosen. I get that he hasn't made the step-up to a huge club before but very few managers have lasted as long as he has at a big Premier League club, in the history of the Premier League. He clearly knows how to manage pressure.

I get it, this is scary. But I think people are going too far to the point that they make out there is only Jose M who has "the balls"/"the ego" to follow Fergie. I really doubt that's the case. But we simply don't know. I guess whether you're quietly optimistic or starting from a position of pessimism just depends on the individual supporter's nature.

At the end of the day it's perfectly natural and normal for this nervous behaviour. No one can be blamed for that. I just hope he's given a chance by the fans though.

When is he going to do something? He's already slacking.

For some reason when I woke up this morning I felt excited. I have a feeling something will happen this week. Even if it's just Rooney related.

Wonder who'll make an erection joke first...

The fixture list for you guys is going to be crucial.

If you get thrown up a Spurs(a), Liverpool (h), Newcastle (a) opening three fixtures, or something similar, Moyes could be under pressure right from the get go.

A more relaxed start will help him ease into his job. I'm sure he's looking for a nice opening game v Norwich to get him going.

I did, but I had a tug and still felt excited so I'm pretty sure it was footy related.

Also, see the white text. How utterly predictable TN... :smirk:

No one here is blaming anything on anyone, that I can see...?

Have you been on a Caf sebatical or something? I'm not saying that was happening in the post I posted below but it's been rife since his appointment. That's what I was referring to.

Can't wait for the start of the season, whoever we're playing! Seriously, it feels exciting now that we've got over the shock of Fergie retiring. I have a feeling the fixture list is near the bottom of David Moyes list of immediate concerns though :)

Have you been on a Caf sebatical or something? I'm not saying that was happening in the post I posted below but it's been rife since his appointment. That's what I was referring to.

I still don't get what you mean by "blaming" ? Blaming what? I think everyone will be nervous, that's a given. I think to suggest Moyes' qualities go out the window because the MUFC job happens to be a huge one is going too far, that's my point.

And I bumped the thread after almost 2 weeks inactivity, so I assumed your post was relative to mine or the one I was responding to. No worries if it wasn't, carry on.