Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

That's fecking terrifying. It's like some sort of watermelon rapist.
A9gEwcb.jpg

The fixture list for you guys is going to be crucial.

If you get thrown up a Spurs(a), Liverpool (h), Newcastle (a) opening three fixtures, or something similar, Moyes could be under pressure right from the get go.

A more relaxed start will help him ease into his job. I'm sure he's looking for a nice opening game v Norwich to get him going.
He'd hardly feel pressure with 3 comfortable wins.

Is this guy still on holiday?

The Judith Chalmers of the prem.

Was remarking to a friend just yesterday it boggles my mind that he is taking this much time on vacation. There are things to sort out just with the existing players, especially with Rooney and Nani alone but, considering not so prominent players such as Anderson, it doesn't make sense that he takes this much time off.

He's got his first pre-season not but, 2 weeks away and I'd think he'd want to get as much settled before jetting all around Asia with the squad. It's not like he is Fergie who could get away with skipping part of the tour to help sort deals out and letting his subordinates give him feedback - he'll want to be there first hand.

He can take a vacation next season after he's either established himself as a person that can continue to lead this club as it should be or from the unemployment line but, for goodness sake he needs to be working now.

People are idiots. Ferguson himself probably told Moyes the best thing he could do is take a holiday and start ready and refreshed.

Whats wrong if he is on holiday?!

I know some people are still uncomfortable with his joining (myself included) but thats a very strange and unfair thing to beat him with.

Anyway, He is not legally and officially our manager until 1st July.

I can't believe people are actually angry that he's on holiday. It's not like he's just jetted off without anyone's permission, I'm sure if the club wanted him in Manchester right now he would be in Manchester.

I read someone on Red News forum giving Moyes pelters for not attending United reserves/youth games while he was still under contract at Everton... reckons Moyes knew he was taking over for almost a year.

Let the man have his holidays. He is going to need to be fresh to deal with the media once he takes over officially. I'd prefer him coming in fresh and ready mentally, than trying to start work straight away and ending up burnt out after the media starts pulling things apart.

You'd think people get fed up by repeating what the previous ten posters have already said and move on, but no.

"I can't believe... holiday"

"Are people seriously... holiday"

"How can you... holiday"

"Look at me ME ME... holiday"

"But have you heard my insightful dig... HOLIDAY"

Are we done bonding yet?

You'd think people would get fed up saying what others have already said previously over and over again.

"holiday? I don't belieeeeeve it!"

"holiday? Are you seriously suggesting... "

"holiday? How can you?"

"holiday!? Look at me ME ME ME!!!"

"HOLIDAY? Dig dig dig..."

Have we finished bonding yet?

Btw, it was mentioned that in one of the newspapers that he comes back from Holiday today.

Btw, it was mentioned that in one of the newspapers that he comes back from Holiday today.

The same day the u21s tourney finishes eh?

Is he actually still on holiday though? Or are we just assuming he is because he's not whirring around Old Trafford, with a Blackberry, sticking his head out of the window to speak to Sky Sports about signing Bale and Ronaldo?

Whether he is or isn't, he's not our manager officially until July, so it would still be all quiet regardless.

Then on July 1st, he signs Bale and Ronaldo

Is he actually still on holiday though? Or are we just assuming he is because he's not whirring around Old Trafford, with a Blackberry, sticking his head out of the window to speak to Sky Sports about signing Bale and Ronaldo?

Whether he is or isn't, he's not our manager officially until July, so it would still be all quiet regardless.

Then on July 1st, he signs Bale and Ronaldo

A BlackBerry? :lol:

Was remarking to a friend just yesterday it boggles my mind that he is taking this much time on vacation. There are things to sort out just with the existing players, especially with Rooney and Nani alone but, considering not so prominent players such as Anderson, it doesn't make sense that he takes this much time off.

He's got his first pre-season not but, 2 weeks away and I'd think he'd want to get as much settled before jetting all around Asia with the squad. It's not like he is Fergie who could get away with skipping part of the tour to help sort deals out and letting his subordinates give him feedback - he'll want to be there first hand.

He can take a vacation next season after he's either established himself as a person that can continue to lead this club as it should be or from the unemployment line but, for goodness sake he needs to be working now.

maybe you or your friend could remark how he is going to talk to the players in an empty ground? You know, with the players being on holiday and all that

:lol: Moyes is never going to win some people over. His contract hasn't started yet and everyone at the club is on holidays but some (one poster) is already giving out about him

Why hasn't the lazy arsed prick started working yet? Does he think league titles win themselves while he's in Florida without his Blackberry?

The nerve of the man, walking in to replace the greatest manager of all time, and spending his first two months doing feck all in fecking Disneyland.

I bet he doesn't even have synchronized work mail on his phone, the git.

white text

It doesn't (fly out the window) though. It's a big, massive Challenge. That's why a man with great integrity and work ethic has been chosen. I get that he hasn't made the step-up to a huge club before but very few managers have lasted as long as he has at a big Premier League club, in the history of the Premier League. He clearly knows how to manage pressure.

I get it, this is scary. But I think people are going too far to the point that they make out there is only Jose M who has "the balls"/"the ego" to follow Fergie. I really doubt that's the case. But we simply don't know. I guess whether you're quietly optimistic or starting from a position of pessimism just depends on the individual supporter's nature.

I didn't mean to make out that his CV or skills were completely irrelevant; rather that it is such an unknown at this point that we can have genuinely no idea how it's going to pan out. It's like trying to predict the result of a derby - there will be a favourite but ultimately the form book tends to mean little.

I say that about Mourinho simply because he's the only person I can think on the surface of things that would revel in the pressure as opposed to just dealing with it. That's not to say there would've been any guarantees with him either, mind you.

Woah, think am really the only one that expressed annoyance of him being on vacation - not people. And to answer the question posed by a few, yes I am seriously annoyed that he is on vacation but, I am also one that applauds his appointment. My bad ... I think.

I didn't mean to make out that his CV or skills were completely irrelevant; rather that it is such an unknown at this point that we can have genuinely no idea how it's going to pan out. It's like trying to predict the result of a derby - there will be a favourite but ultimately the form book tends to mean little.

I say that about Mourinho simply because he's the only person I can think on the surface of things that would revel in the pressure as opposed to just dealing with it. That's not to say there would've been any guarantees with him either, mind you.

But I take issue with this, because it suggests Mourinho's way is the only way and that he and Fergie are essentially the only people in the world who could handle the pressure. I think that Mourinho's persona, his ultra-cool, Special One aura is what convinces people of this, but there are other ways of handling pressure. Moyes HAS had pressure to deal with, the simple fact is you don't stay at any club club, never mind a very big Premier League club, for ten years without navigating pressure. Granted, MUFC is different to Everton, but all reports about Moyes from people who know and have worked with him suggest that he does in fact thrive on pressure. I agree with you, no one knows yet how it will go, but I personally will be starting with the feeling that Moyes knows what he's got himself in for and isn't in the slightest bit afraid of the challenge. He seems the type.

Woah, think am really the only one that expressed annoyance of him being on vacation - not people. And to answer the question posed by a few, yes I am seriously annoyed that he is on vacation but, I am also one that applauds his appointment. My bad ... I think.

It's not just you, yours was the most recent and glaring example of it thought.

And I think you're annoyance is, by common consent, misplaced and a bit silly really, but if you think that I guess I would just ask you: do you think Fergie wouldn't have suggested himself that Moyes refresh himself with a holiday before coming in ready to work?

:lol:

But I take issue with this, because it suggests Mourinho's way is the only way and that he and Fergie are essentially the only people in the world who could handle the pressure. I think that Mourinho's persona, his ultra-cool, Special One aura is what convinces people of this, but there are other ways of handling pressure. Moyes HAS had pressure to deal with, the simple fact is you don't stay at any club club, never mind a very big Premier League club, for ten years without navigating pressure. Granted, MUFC is different to Everton, but all reports about Moyes from people who know and have worked with him suggest that he does in fact thrive on pressure. I agree with you, no one knows yet how it will go, but I personally will be starting with the feeling that Moyes knows what he's got himself in for and isn't in the slightest bit afraid of the challenge. He seems the type.

I think more is being taken from this than what I meant originally. Perhaps that bolded line regarding Mourinho revelling in pressure was misleading on my part, sorry if that is the case. The original post contained a pretty general statement about my levels of confidence in having Mourinho here as opposed to Moyes or any other manager. They are feelings, nothing more. I don't pretend that these feelings are entirely rational, and I've not said anything about Mourinho being the only viable candidate either. The point was that the only person I would've felt comfortable with, due to his overtly extroverted personality and the extraordinary task at hand, is Mourinho. Maybe he would've made a bollocks of it, I don't know, but that's pretty much the entire point. Moyes naturally makes me nervous as he has never managed a truly top level club before, and I have no idea how he handles that sort of pressure. With Mourinho, I have seen him take on the ridiculous circus that is Real Madrid and come out the other side in one piece. I've seen him win everything there is to win with Porto and Inter, and I've also seen him revel in the pressure of being Chelsea boss under someone as nonsensical in footballing terms as Abramovic.

That's the level of pedigree it would take for these feelings of nervousness to be stilled somewhat. With Moyes, we have genuinely no idea whether he has that in him, so the uncertainty is the great fear here. The integrity and work ethic he has shown at Everton is relative to a level of pressure that is 10x less substantial. It's like looking at Hodgson/Capello pre-England and seeing them as ok/good appointments, only for them to then be transformed into footballing maniacs at the hands of the English press. Pressure completely turns people inside out.

Again, this is to do with my own nervousness, and is not to say that Moyes has to act in some Mourinho-esque way to succeed (nor is it to say Moyes cannot handle the situation). It's just that Mourinho is probably the only person in football that would give me sufficient cause to not be too nervous, and that there are different levels of calmness that exist in between a Mourinho and a Moyes.

You might be right, mate. My excitement about the new season will push any worries to the back of my mind. I am sad Fergie's gone rather than overly anxious about the future - Man Utd will still be there regardless, and my main fear at the moment is that some of the supporters might get impatient with him. And it helps that I don't really see Mourinho's method of dealing with the pressure at Real Madrid to be a plus-point, and in general I think Moyes is more of a United man. But yeah, I can't argue with any of what you're saying, it's all pretty much true, but I personally don't feel it.

You might be right, mate. My excitement about the new season will push any worries to the back of my mind. I am sad Fergie's gone rather than overly anxious about the future - Man Utd will still be there regardless, and my main fear at the moment is that some of the supporters might get impatient with him. And it helps that I don't really see Mourinho's method of dealing with the pressure at Real Madrid to be a plus-point, and in general I think Moyes is more of a United man. But yeah, I can't argue with any of what you're saying, it's all pretty much true, but I personally don't feel it.

Best way to be. I'm probably just being a miserable, pessimistic sod. ;)

I'm sure the long vacation is for family reason. From those articles, he's described as a workaholic that no doubt his wife and kids feels neglected over long football season.

Personally, I'm sure he's so eager to start the work immediately. Who won't be? It's his dream comes true, managing United.

How do we think he'll cope with those opening fixtures? It's pretty much the worst case scenario as far as opposition is concerned. I predict the mother of all meltdowns.