Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

Should imagine that we also thought he was a manager who wouldn't change too much. Fergie has worked hard for 26 years to build United into the club it is now and I'm sure he wouldn't recommend a manager who would come in and undo all the good work he has done. After all, where's the sense in knocking down a good, solid, well designed house just to build one of your own design that's of inferior quality and falls down after a few years.

Let's hope we've chosen well.

I partially disagree. SAF would have probably wanted a manager whose a disciplinarian, believes in the youth academy and is capable to work on a budget. Those are three things that always brought United success. However I dont believe that SAF was against innovation. He wouldnt have been successful for so many years if he was against that. We're talking about a man who built three successful sides.

Man United appointed Moyes as Fergie's successor on my Football Manager game. I remember thinking that he would be sacked soon and I would be able to take over, but he just won fecking everything every season.

2008 Jonathon Northcroft interview with Come On David Moyes. A bit of insight into his work at Everton halfway through his time there, also the last 2 questions are Fergie-related. Might be interesting to someone so I post here, yes.

Jonathan Northcroft The Sunday Times
December 7, 2008

The first thing you notice about David Moyes’ office is its order. The desk is spotless; the chairs leather, black, pristine. Business cards sit neatly in a stacker. Documents dwell in folders. A colour-coded wallchart lists Everton’s players. Not so much as a pen is out of place. “Can I take this?” asks Moyes, meticulous in manners, when his telephone trills. This environment is shaped by discipline but it is also a human place. Two families smile warmly from photographs. The first is a nuclear one: Pamela, Moyes’ wife, David and Lauren, their children. The other pictures show his professional family, that community of dugout-dwellers and tracksuit men whom Moyes may have been put on this earth to join. Most are group shots from Scottish coaching forums in which faces recur: Sir Alex Ferguson, Andy Roxburgh, Walter Smith.

Two walls have windows, allowing Moyes to monitor the first-team training pitch and players’ car park. His ceiling is plasterboard but it’s tempting to suggest it should be glass. He is Everton’s longest-serving manager since Harry Catterick, having taken a club that was eyeballing relegation when he arrived to four top-seven finishes in six seasons. In that period, Moyes’ net spend on players is less than the £32.5m Manchester City paid for Robinho. Everton’s debt, which rises year on year and is now £36.7m, keeps draining the transfer kitty, a new stadium is on hold and the chairman, Bill Kenwright, has been trying to sell the club for years. The money situation does not look likely to change, so I asked Moyes what more he could do at Everton:

Yakubu and James Vaughan are out for the season and Louis Saha’s hamstring problem leaves you with just one fit striker for today’s game against Aston Villa. You want to finish in a European spot again but your squad is one of the smallest in the Premier League. How are you going to cope?

At least the transfer window is in view. We’ll be working hard to see who is available on loan and if we do pay money it’ll be at the lower end of the price range. Any speculation about us is probably untrue because we’re not flashing the cash.

What about being linked with Henrik Larsson?

He’s someone we’d be interested in if he’s available but I don’t know his situation and we’ve made no contact. Until January it will be all hands on deck. Louis could return next week and today we might have to play Tim Cahill up front, Marouane Fellaini or Leon Osman. The problem is that so many games now are won by players you bring off the bench. We’ll have to get round that and win with what we’ve got on the pitch.

How much longer can you have the energy to keep pushing Everton forward while the club is scrimping and saving?

It’s not for me to say that’s what we’re doing. Those are your words. But I’ve got the energy. I wanted desperately to have the chance to challenge the top teams, I really did. Bill understood that in the summer. We were in the top four until February and he knew what I wanted more than anything was to have a real go at catching Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United. I’d love the opportunity to meet Sir Alex or Arsène, Benitez or Scolari, on a level playing field. Go on, have a go. My idea was to bring in four or five players, two or three who would have cost big money and gone straight into the team. It was into the summer before I realised I wouldn’t be able to and it took a few months to bounce back from that. I’ve had to say to myself, ‘Okay, I’m not getting to go down the road with all the fairylights and glitter, I’m staying on the rough road with the potholes, where I was before’.

Ultimately you spent less than £5m net, bringing in Fellaini and selling Andy Johnson. How much would it have taken to ‘have a real go’?

We’ve had 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th-place finishes in my six seasons and got close to being able to establish ourselves alongside the Big Four. I think £30m-£40m would have given us a realistic chance. But a lot of clubs are spending now, Man City, Villa, Tottenham, Newcastle . . . so we might have needed £30m just to stay fifth. And it could take four years of spending £30m to bridge that gap with the Big Four.

What happens if Everton have four years of spending £10m?

You’d probably drop away. It’s going to take really good recruitment and young players coming through the ranks to get away with that level of investment. As well as Johnson we lost Lee Carsley, plus Manuel Fernandes and Anthony Gardner, who were loans, and we are so short on numbers that we trained for two weeks of the pre-season with just five senior pros. We’ve good players who have invested in Everton by signing long contracts and I think they were looking for me to bring in others to support them. I felt down that I couldn’t.

Yet you signed a new five-year contract in October?

I always have belief. I do see things changing here and I think this is the right club for me just now. I see this as an unfinished job. I’ve helped make this club better and I don’t want to say, ‘It’s time to give up on Everton’ Far from it. This is the time we need to pull together to get through this little period because, if we can, we’re not too far from kicking on.

You sound remotivated

Absolutely. My wife said to me, ‘Get your contract signed and get on with it’. People were starting to think it had something to do with uncertainty over my future, using it as an excuse. ‘Just get on with it’ — very Scottish advice.

You’ve completed 300 games at Everton, long enough for there to be an identifiable ‘David Moyes way’. It appears founded on hard work, principles and honesty

Correct. My family are honest people. We’re loyal. For years I have taken my wife on football-related trips during our holidays. My son travels with Everton’s away supporters and my wife and daughter come to Goodison. My dad ran Drumchapel Amateurs and lives with us now, in our house in Preston, and also comes to games. I’m really fortunate, it’s like we’re all in it together. At Celtic I was brought up with a winning mentality, the idea that losing wasn’t accepted. It was Jock Stein who invited me to sign schoolboy forms for the club. I’ve still got the picture in my mind, aged 13 and seeing Big Jock at the corner of the pitch when I was playing a youth game. For what it’s worth, when he died I was at the match as a Scotland fan.

Do you identify with the tradition of Scottish working-class managers embodied by Stein and Sir Alex Ferguson?

Very much so. Sir Alex was brought up in Govan. We came from Partick on the other side of the water. We’ve been a working-class family all our days and my beliefs are you get out what you put in. I gave my time and energy to become a manager, used my spare time to do my badges aged 22, and even today see as much football as I can, including youth matches and football league games. Because I’ve done 300 games at Everton, does that mean I’m an expert? No. This job is ongoing.

Ferguson always speaks highly of you, while your admiration for him is obvious

When I was 16, Celtic used to send me down to Largs as a ‘runner’. The fodder for the coaches, one of the players they could use when demonstrating their drills. Fergie was one of the staff coaches, a tutor for guys doing their ‘A’ licence. There were such great coaches there — Fergie, Roxburgh, Walter, Jim McLean, Archie Knox — that it made me think, even at 16, ‘I’d like to be part of that’. Fergie? He’s one of the best exports Scotland has ever given the world. It’s probably whisky and then Sir Alex.

The Mirror is serializing Craig Bellamy's new book (called GoodFella, oddly). He almost joined Everton but didn't because Come On David Moyes told him he could only play if he agreed to stop being Craig Bellamy. From Friday's paper -

Craig Bellamy aka The Bell said:
I met David Moyes at the Celtic Manor hotel just outside Newport after my loan spell at Celtic from Newcastle had finished in the summer of 2005.

I really enjoyed talking to him.

I always liked the way Everton played under him. I love their work ethic and their attitude.

Moyes was very persuasive.

I felt a bid odd about the prospect of joining them because I had been a committed Liverpool fan since I was a kid, but he sold me on Everton.

I agreed terms and went up to meet Moyes again, this time at his house near Preston.

I took my suitcase with me, so I could move into a hotel that night after I had signed and start pre-season training the next day.

But when I got there, I could tell straight away that something had changed.

It was like talking to a different bloke. He seemed tense and hostile.

He presented me with a list of rules.

They were very detailed and exact.

They tried to imagine certain scenarios and dictate how I would react.

“If I ask you to move to the right in the 60th minute, I don’t want you shaking your head” or “If you have got something to say, do not speak to anyone else about it, come and see me.”

They went on and on.

I thought ‘Where are we going with this?’

It was a completely different individual to the guy I was speaking to a month ago.

It was as if he had spoken to someone who had changed his mind about me. It felt like he was looking for a way out.

It was bizarre.

If we hadn’t had that second meeting, I would have signed.

Now I couldn’t.

It was awkward.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright was on the phone saying all the arrangements were in place for the medical once the formalities had been completed.

My representative didn’t go into details, he just told Mr Kenwright I'd had a change of heart.

A few weeks later, Moyes rang my representative and apologised.

I don’t hold a grudge about it. I’ve got a lot of time for him and he tried to sign me a couple of times subsequently.

My guess is that someone told him I’d be trouble and he panicked a bit.

there are a huge amount of similarities to be seen between him and fergie and im not surprised fergie wanted him to take over. Hopefully he lives up to it, Im very excited by the next couple of years. I really do have full confidence in Moyes.

I partially disagree. SAF would have probably wanted a manager whose a disciplinarian, believes in the youth academy and is capable to work on a budget. Those are three things that always brought United success. However I dont believe that SAF was against innovation. He wouldnt have been successful for so many years if he was against that. We're talking about a man who built three successful sides.
Disagree with what? I'm agreeing with you except that you call changes "innovation" whilst I hope (as I'm sure Fergie does) that it won't be "change for changes sake." Moyes will surely be able to stamp his own mark on the club without uprooting the strong structure that's brought us to where we are now.

I think Moyes will be more inclined to make signings that Sir Alex was. Ferguson had a great understanding of the game and proffered to look at what he had rather than what he didn't, but I think Moyes will have a different approach in regards to recruitment. Initially anyway. We have some great young players comig through at the minute, and one of Ferguson's main strengths was bringing them through in to the first team, and that's something that needs to he continued. We do need a midfielder though without doubt, and it's the right decision without doubt. Wouldn't mind Fellaini personally, but I think Moyes has to much respect for Everton to go down that route.

This is something of a myth. Since 1995 (eighteen years) only six of our juniors have come through to be first team squad fixtures - Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Evans, Welbeck and Cleverley. Others have got to the fringes but, for one reason or another, have faded away or been sold. In the same period, by my count, we've brought in 68 senior players. This doesn't mean that our development system hasn't been valuable - it's just that it's been a profit centre rather than a source of first team players.

This is something of a myth. Since 1995 (eighteen years) only six of our juniors have come through to be first team squad fixtures - Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Evans, Welbeck and Cleverley. Others have got to the fringes but, for one reason or another, have faded away or been sold. In the same period, by my count, we've brought in 68 senior players. This doesn't mean that our development system hasn't been valuable - it's just that it's been a profit centre rather than a source of first team players.

Very true. Another myth is that Ferguson didn't spend a lot in the transfer market, he was just not very successful there. 40-50 mill per year was the average the last 10~years so I don't think it is true that he spent "little".

Moyes will more likely spend the 40-50 mill on less players however, Fergie would spend it on 6 players in average rather than 1-2-3 like the majority of the bigger clubs does.

Ferguson for example has spent 60~ millions on our wingers in Tosic, Young, Valencia, Nani.

He has also spent 110~ Millions in strikers since the purchase of Rooney.

Our central midfield has cost us around 80 millions(Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Jones)

I think it is safe to say that Ferguson did spend a lot of money and just wasn't good in the transfer market.

I wouldn't say Fergie wasn't good in the transfer market, but I also wouldn't say he was all that great in it either. Certainly not something that will be remembered as one of his strongest skills.

Just looking at the last few years (to be honest the transfer market post 2008ish is completely different and nigh incomparable to previous years) you've got Hernandez and Smalling as good examples of picking out a young relatively unheralded player for a decent fee. But then you've also got the 25m or whatever it was we spent on Ando, and I think Ashley Young was a pretty poor buy at 16-18m (can't remember) not to mention the wages.

Fergie's transfer record is fairly mixed, you might rate him a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 which is drastically lower than other aspects of football management he excelled at.

t’s not for me to say that’s what we’re doing. Those are your words. But I’ve got the energy. I wanted desperately to have the chance to challenge the top teams, I really did. Bill understood that in the summer. We were in the top four until February and he knew what I wanted more than anything was to have a real go at catching Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United. I’d love the opportunity to meet Sir Alex or Arsène, Benitez or Scolari, on a level playing field. Go on, have a go. My idea was to bring in four or five players, two or three who would have cost big money and gone straight into the team. It was into the summer before I realised I wouldn’t be able to and it took a few months to bounce back from that. I’ve had to say to myself, ‘Okay, I’m not getting to go down the road with all the fairylights and glitter, I’m staying on the rough road with the potholes, where I was before’.

Taken from the above interview.

Now for the first time in his career he'll get a level playing field. The comments sounds promising.

Nice post full of logical reasoning to back up your statement.

If you're well versed in English and that's what you really did mean to say, then there's pretty much no point responding to your post with well thought out logic, it's dumb and pretty much one of the most stupid things I've ever read here.

I wouldn't say Fergie wasn't good in the transfer market, but I also wouldn't say he was all that great in it either. Certainly not something that will be remembered as one of his strongest skills.

Just looking at the last few years (to be honest the transfer market post 2008ish is completely different and nigh incomparable to previous years) you've got Hernandez and Smalling as good examples of picking out a young relatively unheralded player for a decent fee. But then you've also got the 25m or whatever it was we spent on Ando, and I think Ashley Young was a pretty poor buy at 16-18m (can't remember) not to mention the wages.

Fergie's transfer record is fairly mixed, you might rate him a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 which is drastically lower than other aspects of football management he excelled at.

He has been a 10/10 in the transfer market in terms of defenders, in terms of midfielders, wingers and strikers he has been a solid 6.

He has performed way better than his transfer abilities as his man management is absolutely legendary.

Fergie's been outstanding in the transfer market, with several very large mistakes and quite a few who didn't become unqualified successes, but over such a long time period that's to be expected. He's signed a bargain that improved the first XI plenty of times and generally bought players who have the talent AND mentality to play for United. No mean feat, and he wouldn't have built 4-5 great teams without being adept in the transfer market. People let Veron, a few punts that didn't come off, and the spate of 2003-04 signings cloud their judgment. If people want to use someone like Wenger or Mourinho as an example of great business we can go through their history and pick out a few choice failures.

A solid 6 in strikers? Jesus, some people have short memories. He signed Cantona, Cole, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Solskjaer, Hernandez, Sherringham, Yorke and Van Persie ffs.

A solid 6 in strikers? Jesus, some people have short memories. He signed Cantona, Cole, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Solskjaer, Hernandez, Sherringham, Yorke and Van Persie ffs.

Even Berbatov who is many times considered a relative failure was a better signing than a 6/10. Saying that he only was 6 out of 10 in terms of signing strikers is a bit unfair.

Edit: Now I seen that he said for wingers the same. Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, Nani, Park and Valencia haven't been that bad after all. Probably the only region when SAF wasn't brilliant in terms of signing (especially in the last 10 years) has been the central midfield.

Very true. Another myth is that Ferguson didn't spend a lot in the transfer market, he was just not very successful there. 40-50 mill per year was the average the last 10~years so I don't think it is true that he spent "little".

Moyes will more likely spend the 40-50 mill on less players however, Fergie would spend it on 6 players in average rather than 1-2-3 like the majority of the bigger clubs does.

Ferguson for example has spent 60~ millions on our wingers in Tosic, Young, Valencia, Nani.

Our central midfield has cost us around 80 millions(Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Jones)

I think it is safe to say that Ferguson did spend a lot of money and just wasn't good in the transfer market.

Fergie wasn't sucessful in the transfer market?

Jesus feck.

Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak has lent his support to new Manchester United manager David Moyes, hailing him as ‘fantastic’.

Moyes takes the reigns at Old Trafford following Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement at the end of this season following 10 years of steady progress at Everton. And in a video interview posted on the City official website, Al Mubarak reviewed the season before casting an eye towards their crosstown rivals.

“David Moyes is a manager that I have absolutely the highest regard for. He is a fantastic manager,” he commented. “He did a phenomenal job at Everton and I think he will be a success with Manchester United.”

(Goal.com)

Who according to you has been good in the transfer market?

Fergie wasn't sucessful in the transfer market?

Jesus feck.

Indeed, it seems like some will only be happy if he'd signed Messi and Iniesta while keeping Ronaldo, maybe then he'd have done decent in the market. Some people are just :wenger:

He has been a 10/10 in the transfer market in terms of defenders, in terms of midfielders, wingers and strikers he has been a solid 6.

He has performed way better than his transfer abilities as his man management is absolutely legendary.

A 6 in terms of wingers and strikers? What?

Our strike force and wide players have been crucial to us being one of footballs dominant forces over the last two decades. Those areas have been littered with absolute quality over the years. We've tended to consistently have the best wide players in England, and upfront we've had RVN, RVP, Saha, Rooney and Hernandez over the last decade itself. Only Berbatov was the one bad signing he's made there but even he did well at times. Forlan was a great striker who didn't fit in but had great talent and Alan Smith was a stop gap solution. Overall you think of United strikers and you think of quality. We've never been like Chelsea or Arsenal, struggling for quality uptop.

Fergie was amazing in the transfer market. I can't believe what I'm reading.

Every manager has a few silly ones and a few that don't work out even though the player was good.

Even if deals have already been struck for players, nothing will get announced until Moyes has officially joined us. That way he gets his face in all the cheesy photos with the player(s) signing the contract etc.

Wingers and strikers a solid six?

feck off, you retard. You don't deserve oxygen.

2008 Jonathon Northcroft interview with Come On David Moyes. A bit of insight into his work at Everton halfway through his time there, also the last 2 questions are Fergie-related. Might be interesting to someone so I post here, yes.

Lovely stuff. Start to really really like the guy. I'm really looking forward to him working with out team now. Just give him some midfielders.

Wingers and strikers a solid six?

feck off, you retard. You don't deserve oxygen.

Barring last year when our wingers under performed, who in their right mind ever looks at a United side and says "well, their wingers and strikers are a bit underwhelming"? We're usually, on an average, fan-fecking-tastic in those areas.

There is obviously a lot of work being done behind closed doors, at the moment. Pretty sure about that or do you expect Moyes to start fresh from July 1st? Expecting our first one and two signings to be announced by July 1st.

There is obviously a lot of work being done behind closed doors, at the moment. Pretty sure about that or do you expect Moyes to start fresh from July 1st? Expecting our first one and two signings to be announced by July 1st.

I reckon that would be a bit unprofessional by us, to delay all the work until Moysie officially takes office. I'm with you, I'd expect us to have a deal or two wrapped up by that date.

No one cares about this, but I've finally come to terms with this appointment. Moyes is not who I thought should be the top priority, but now that I think about it, he's a good appointment, and should do well. He knows his football and worked well on a small budget so he at least knows how to scout good players and/or make average players perform better.

My biggest question-mark was experience at the top level, but I guess he can't get that from nowhere. So hopefully he does well.