Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

BBC saying he's due to meet Eric Steele and Rene today.

Sky Sports suggest also that Steve Round,Jimmy Lumsden,and Phil Neville are to follow him to United.

So what, Round replaces Phelan and Lumsden replaces Meulensteen?

Lumsden is a bit old isn't he???

I would prefer Meulensteen to stay.

Wouldn't surprise me if them two at least were kept on, Rene has been a pretty key part to our coaching staff over the last few years (and no doubt more influential than Micky Phelan has been) and Eric Steele has been brilliant with De Gea's development over the last two seasons and would be silly to stop that now.

So what, Round replaces Phelan and Lumsden replaces Meulensteen?

Lumsden is a bit old isn't he???

I would prefer Meulensteen to stay.

Again no confirmed statement but it is believed he wont make any drastic changes to the coaching set up, even though the above are all tipped to join him.

Very much all contradicts itself.

Wouldn't surprise me if them two at least were kept on, Rene has been a pretty key part to our coaching staff over the last few years (and no doubt more influential than Micky Phelan has been) and Eric Steele has been brilliant with De Gea's development over the last two seasons and would be silly to stop that now.

I agree with you completely. Moyes would have to be a complete knob to dispense with Eric Steele given how well he gets on with DDG and the other 'keepers.

Without having any basis to presume, it does strike me that Meulensteen is very innovative with training.

Phelan can go.

I think Mike Phelan see's himself as a manager, wasnt he linked with the managers job of a lower league team? Wont be surprised if he see's this as an opportunity to make that move.

Moyes is going to kick down the front door and just start throwing horseshoes at everyone.

"We regret to announce the following layoffs, in alphabetical order:.."

"..Phelan, Mike.."

"..That is all"

So we're slagging Phelan off and welcoming Round in? I'd prefer Phelan to stay. He knows the club, players and how we operate; Round does not or is not familiar with any of those things.

581768_470218913056974_1659335251_n.jpg

Nobody was actually welcoming Round in!? :confused:

Moyes isn't going to come into the club without a single member of his previous backroom staff following behind; it would be too awkward for him to just come in and take over Fergie’s "team" without changing a single member.

Most clubs would have a complete overall of the backroom staff when a new member takes over, but the fact Moyes is having talks with the current backroom staff is only a positive sign that he's willing to stick to most of the foundations that have already been set.

Phelan has been a great servant to the club, but he was Fergie’s right hand man. Managers prefer to have a right hand man they know & trust, so it would be right for Moyes to bring Round in. Rene is the First Team Coach and known to be a great tactician, he probably has a much, much better understanding of the players and how we play than Phelan – that’s why most people are more keen on keeping him at OT when Moyes comes in rather than Mike.

Even RVP said this:

“Rene’s (Rene Meulensteen, Manchester United’s first-team coach) training is always designed with a view to the next opponent.

Every week we are prepared for the specific playing style of the opponent, we must each play to deal with a style. That is our strength. We have our own qualities and we know in detail where the weak points of the opponent are."

As I say, Mike has been a great servant to United, but as mentioned earlier this could also be the perfect opportunity for him to manage a club.

I find it amusing how most on here are quite happy to see Phelen given the elbow yet would all love for Rene to stay despite having little or no knowledge about what either of them actually do.

Phelan puts out the cones in training and Rene does everything else. Simple.

what is this horseshoe business? I am guessing it is some sort of rigorous training exercise but what exactly does it involve?

what is this horseshoe business? I am guessing it is some sort of rigorous training exercise but what exactly does it involve?

All I can find on it is Phil Neville saying this:

Basically ‘the horse shoe’ is a series of sharp runs that cover distances between 100metres and 300m and there is barely any time to catch your breath in between.

Nobody was actually welcoming Round in!? :confused:

Moyes isn't going to come into the club without a single member of his previous backroom staff following behind; it would be too awkward for him to just come in and take over Fergie’s "team" without changing a single member.

Most clubs would have a complete overall of the backroom staff when a new member takes over, but the fact Moyes is having talks with the current backroom staff is only a positive sign that he's willing to stick to most of the foundations that have already been set.

Phelan has been a great servant to the club, but he was Fergie’s right hand man. Managers prefer to have a right hand man they know & trust, so it would be right for Moyes to bring Round in. Rene is the First Team Coach and known to be a great tactician, he probably has a much, much better understanding of the players and how we play than Phelan – that’s why most people are more keen on keeping him at OT when Moyes comes in rather than Mike.

Even RVP said this:

As I say, Mike has been a great servant to United, but as mentioned earlier this could also be the perfect opportunity for him to manage a club.

Looked like it to me. The majority have been saying that they'd be happy to see Phelan leave despite them having no clue as to what influence or ability he has! When interviewed, the players have nothing but praise for him and Rene and I'd rather an assistant be at our club regardless of who he's served under that knows the current squad and the club as it is today. Phelan has been at the club for around 20 years as both a player and coach, now that's experience worth keeping IMO.

I never said he shouldn't bring his own staff in. He'd be daft not to but he shouldn't do it for the sake of changing. We have a well drilled back room team, why change that? Add to it but dot just change like for like because its something new!

Phil Neville on the Horseshoe training exercise

It filled me with dread and I’ll never forget when we first did it. We’d had a poor-ish start to the season and a few lads were on international break.

Me and Mikel Arteta came in and the gaffer said, ‘Right, horseshoe today’. Afterwards Mikel lay on the dressing-room floor and I was bent over cursing in the corner, calling him the worst manager in the league.

His method is to push you to your limits in training and then the match is easy.

It’s a run that sorts the men from the boys, but everyone finished it — it’s like an army boot camp. But if there was ever a time I thought, ‘I could probably shoot you today’ it was then.

Should whip them into shape after their summer holidays.

I find it amusing how most on here are quite happy to see Phelen given the elbow yet would all love for Rene to stay despite having little or no knowledge about what either of them actually do.

Fancy foreign name vs boring English name.

That said, I want to keep Renee. He has been key in our youth development in recent seasons and you can see the benefits of his input now, in players like Welbeck and Cleverley.

"We regret to announce the following layoffs, in alphabetical order:.."

"..Phelan, Mike.."

"..That is all"

Is it bad I laughed when I read that.

I think Phelan will stick around, perhaps not as assistant manager but he will stick around.

Have you guys noticed that even during the warm-up, Anderson is last! He is usually 10 meters behind everyone else, cutting each trip across the pitch 30 meters short