Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

It's not like we are going to appoint another manager if people only complain hard enough on this forum so better get used to supporting the man.

If his first season is a disaster you can still call for his head but I have a feeling that he is going to surprise a lot of people on here and in a year we will all be very happy with him as our manager.

Some basic facts about Moyes' Everton:

They are 3rd in the home games' table
They seem to perform better in the first half of games
They have a 0 GD for away games
They have scored most of their goals right before half time (last 15 minutes the previous season)

Some chancers earlier in the thread said Moyes plays ugly football.

Watched their game today - Everton played some stunning football at times, which reminded me of the last few times I watched Everton play; good football.

Weird.

Really looking forward for next season already - honestly can not wait. Will be a completely new experience for me, along with many others I'm sure, of seeing a new manager at United. I'll miss Fergie, no words can portray that, but I'm really excited.

That ugly football bs is mostly because of the season opener IMO, he picked our weakness, and exploited it. I'd hope he'd do the exact same for us, should we come up against tough teams with glaring weak points. Heck, SAF paid it right back at OT checking Fellaini with Jones, and done similar to Spurs and Madrid.

Well, I support him but I'm still very sceptical. It's not what I expected, to be honest. And I'm still waiting for the special one.

If you are looking for short term fixes then the special one is the obvious choice. Howover Mourinho's record tells you he gets bored pretty fast and
would be off looking for the next challenge after a few short seasons.

We are Manchester United and long term planning is part of our DNA now, thanks to Sir Alex.

I'm glad we haven't gone for Mourinho. I fully expect him to end up at Chelsea in the summer, stay for something like 2-4 years, maybe pick up a couple of league titles and cups, might even sneak a champions league, but inevitably he'll feck off and end up at Dortmund, Bayern, Anzhi, PSG, City or whichever team happens to have recently lost a manager. In that time he'll have spunked a load of money on players that will strengthen the squad but that he didn't really need, ignore the youth set up and leave the club in a bit of a mess. We don't need that here.

I'm glad we haven't gone for Mourinho. I fully expect him to end up at Chelsea in the summer, stay for something like 2-4 years, maybe pick up a couple of league titles and cups, might even sneak a champions league, but inevitably he'll feck off and end up at Dortmund, Bayern, Anzhi, PSG, City or whichever team happens to have recently lost a manager. In that time he'll have spunked a load of money on players that will strengthen the squad but that he didn't really need, ignore the youth set up and leave the club in a bit of a mess. We don't need that here.

One can argue that we always need the bolded bit here :)

But we have Moyes now, and no point in thinking about ifs and buts.

:lol: Can't believe some on bere are still moaning about this. As I just mentioned in the other thread, Fergie nailed it in his speech when he said the supporters need to get behind Moyes. The roar that came from the crowd after that was the clearest indication that everyone is going to be behind him. It's time to stop whinging and start supporting, as everyone claims they will be doing, despite still moaning about it at the same time.

One can argue that we always need the bolded bit here :)

But we have Moyes now, and no point in thinking about ifs and buts.

If it means building something even remotely close to what we've had under Fergie, I'll take a few trophyless seasons under Moyes before we get the steamroller going again.

If Sir Alex had made his mind up to retire at Christmas, why did we still sign Zaha?!

I have a sense that Moyes has known of all this a lot longer than he is allowed to let on. And Zaha does actually seem like a Moyes signing. Or maybe this is all stupid, it is late.

If Sir Alex had made his mind up to retire at Christmas, why did we still sign Zaha?!

I have a sense that Moyes has known of all this a lot longer than he is allowed to let on. And Zaha does actually seem like a Moyes signing. Or maybe this is all stupid, it is late.

Because Sir Alex thought he was good enough to play for the club? Top managers are always planning for the future, even if they aren't there.

I wasn't a fan of Moyes' appointment and I still think we could've got someone better. Having said that, I'm kinda bored of the same old arguments being repeated again and again. It's already annoying. It'll be fair enough criticising decisions Moyes makes or bad performances (in the same way we did under Ferguson) but until next season kicks off it's all very pointless. Plus the truth is Moyes will probably be grand, even if there were better options.

Because Sir Alex thought he was good enough to play for the club? Top managers are always planning for the future, even if they aren't there.

SAF has been preparing for Uniteds next generation for years. As he said himself, he wanted to leave the club as strong as possible.

Can't wait for Moyes to get started now. After today it's set in that Sir Alex will finally step down. With the title won and a more than respectable points tally, it's a shame he has to bow out at the fecking Hawthorns, but the anticipation of a new era for someone who's only known Ferguson, I can't hide it...I'm really looking forward to it now.

Obviously confidence will start with some backing in the transfer market, contracts and a solid pre-season. But the man walks into a club as champions, with players like van Persie, Carrick, potentially Rooney, Vidic, Evra and de Gea. I always struggle to see failure where United are concerned and I look forward to getting behind Moyes and anyone else who arrives to continue the success of the last two decades.

Can't wait for Moyes to get started now. After today it's set in that Sir Alex will finally step down. With the title won and a more than respectable points tally, it's a shame he has to bow out at the fecking Hawthorns, but the anticipation of a new era for someone who's only known Ferguson, I can't hide it...I'm really looking forward to it now.

Obviously confidence will start with some backing in the transfer market, contracts and a solid pre-season. But the man walks into a club as champions, with players like van Persie, Carrick, potentially Rooney, Vidic, Evra and de Gea. I always struggle to see failure where United are concerned and I look forward to getting behind Moyes and anyone else who arrives to continue the success of the last two decades.

Yeah, to be honest I was more excited than sad today (apart from when SAF was making his speech). We all know Moyes will never be as good as SAF but who knows what success he might have? Right now I'm excited to see what Moyes does. In a way he's an unknown quantity as he's never been at a club with our budget or ambition. I'm really curious as to what kinds of players he goes for, what kind of style he plays and what things he'll change. I'd be fairly confident the Glazers will back their new manager with a fair amount of transfer funds so we might have a fun summer of muppetry as well. Plus we'll get to see how players like De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Rafa, Welbeck and Kagawa develop next season. Regardless of how Moyes' appointment works out there are interesting times ahead.

I am happy to have been proved wrong. I never thought the Glazers would appoint Moyes. This proves how much they respect SAF. Because it must be 100% his advise that must have persuaded them.

I am very excited to see the style of play he will bring to United. He will now have a very strong squad and he will I'm sure improve it in the summer.

can't wait :)

Do the Glazer's, you know, actually know anything about the game of football? I've never read or heard anything to suggest they're football intelligent people.

They're businessmen, they let the football men run the footballing aspect.

Do the Glazer's, you know, actually know anything about the game of football? I've never read or heard anything to suggest they're football intelligent people.

They're businessmen, they let the football men run the footballing aspect.
They did that with SAF. I think we will see how they really are if Moyes ever hits a rough patch. I hope we never have to find out.

I'm not sure I understand all this "I didn't like the move but I'll support him 100%" talk. It's not stupid, but I think it's rather intellectually dishonest.

I was quite vocally against the Moyes move, and now that it's done, there's not much point debating the merits. But I would be lying if I said I'll support him 100%. I can only support someone who I have reason to - which is not the same thing as supporting the club. I want the club to do well, and hopefully Moyes can do that; I was strongly supportive of De Gea this season because I understood his talent and could see that he was doing very well. Same with Michael Carrick all this time when even United fans thought he was shit; again because I could see with my eyes and had the statistics to back up this belief.

And I would equally be open if I believe a certain player/staff member is not performing up to the standards they set for themselves, and the standards the club expects. This doesn't mean I'm going to be going on about Moyes from day one, he's here now and I think he deserves time to prove himself at this level. But I won't give him support based on nothing, that would be intellectually dishonest.

Hopefully I'm wrong and will be proven so openly, and I can join the rest of you in being positive about Moyes, but the moment I can't do that. Good luck to him though.

You won't give him support for nothing, which is fair enough.

But a lot of us see the fact Sir Alex himself selected Moyes to succeed him as something.

Does anyone know anything about this Horseshoe fitness regime he used to run at Everton?

Does anyone know anything about this Horseshoe fitness regime he used to run at Everton?

Should be interesting as his Everton side have always been a very hardworking unit, something our players will surely benefit from.

On his fitness regime, it may be a bit more difficult to implement his pre season fitness training here when we always have massive foreign pre season tours.

Eh em.

THE HORSE SHOE
There is one session that David Moyes puts on for Everton’s squad which still puts the fear of God up me. Every year you know it is coming but there is nothing you can do about it.
As was the case when he told us to follow the fitness coaches into the river, the manager takes great pleasure in seeing how much it makes the players squirm. Basically ‘the horse shoe’ is a series of sharp runs that cover distances between 100metres and 300m and there is barely any time to catch your breath in between.
By the time you are on your eighth sprint, your legs feel like jelly and buckle, while your lungs are burning. The manager, meanwhile, simply laughs as you collapse. It feels like torture but it clearly pays off as we take pride at Everton in the fact no team will ever out-run us during the season.

Phil Neville interview a couple of years ago.

A good read.

I must admit, I'm excited to seeing us in Europe next season. Thanks to the foundations Fergie has left Moyes, we could be one hell of a team in a couple of years.

It will actually be very interesting to see SAF's legacy combined with some new ideas in management.

fecking hell, I can imagine him laughing as the players collapse one after the other with this evil laugh, a right Scottish villain! :lol:

The only one to complete the training will be Ando who's been saving up energy for the last 6 years and is actually fitter than anyone else. :)

fecking hell, I can imagine him laughing as the players collapse one after the other with this evil laugh, a right Scottish villain! :lol:

The only one to complete the training will be Ando who's been saving up energy for the last 6 years and is actually fitter than anyone else. :)

I'm sure I read something once that said that Berbatov was always the first back from runs or could run for the longest or something to that effect when he was here, yet everyone thought he walked and was slow.