Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

So if we lose our first competitive match against a championship wigan with our strongest XI that would be a good sign? I worded it too strongly due to being in a rush but it wouldn't fill the masses with hope. Im not even including myself in this personally. Just the United fans

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Even if we did start with our strongest XI and lose the game it doesn't make an iota (I like that word) of difference. If certain sections of support want to use that as a stick to beat Moyes with then let them, but the more sensible among us will realise its a glorified friendly and isn't a reflection on how we'll do throughout the season.

So if we lose our first competitive match against a championship wigan with our strongest XI that would be a good sign? I worded it too strongly due to being in a rush but it wouldn't fill the masses with hope. Im not even including myself in this personally. Just the United fans

Obviously not a good sign but I doubt anyone would be instantly calling for his head either.

One off poor games happen so it wouldn't deeply concern me. If our players were running about like headless chickens with no apparent formation in place and we got thumped 8-0 then I'd be worried, but that won't happen. Admittedly it's a game we won't want to lose as it will have one or two kneejerkers already putting pressure on Moyes, but a loss wouldn't really be too bad a sign.

You really can't arrive at a logical conclusion after a 90 minute game of football. It took Sir Alex 5 years to build a team. Even his best teams have had some freak results.

It wouldn't mean anything to me. I'd wait until the competitive football actually begins until I start to judge him.

Who cares, it would be his first game? I doubt that anything stemming from his first game in charge will be a serious sign of anything, win or lose.

Moyes has had an easy ride from the media so far but you can be sure they'll be at his throat at the first sign of trouble.

I bet some people on here are wanting us to lose the Charity Shield game.

It's ridiculous if this is what you think of any fans on here. They might not have initially wanted Moyes, (which isn't illegal btw), but nobody wants United to lose to prove a point. The way you look down on people with differing opinions is staggering.

I bet some people on here are wanting us to lose the Charity Shield game.

To prove a point? Don't be silly. People voice their concerns fair and square but are prepared to back Moyes up and give him the the time he needs. I know I do despite wanting Klopp (for the past two seasons).

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Even if we did start with our strongest XI and lose the game it doesn't make an iota (I like that word) of difference. If certain sections of support want to use that as a stick to beat Moyes with then let them, but the more sensible among us will realise its a glorified friendly and isn't a reflection on how we'll do throughout the season.

Well spoken, Elvis.

Lou Macari acting weird on the Moyes appointment. One compliment followed by several "He'll find it tough. Everton is tiny compared to United, it really is. IT REALLY IS!".

Everyone understands that Lou - but you can at least be a bit more supportive.

I don't think there will be a single United fan who's not fully behind Moyes after Sir Alex's words today.

I don't think there will be a single United fan who's not fully behind Moyes after Sir Alex's words today.

Of course there will, you only have to look at the comment a couple of posts above.

Thankfully the supporters in the stadium all gave a roar when SAF said get behind him, and he'll definitely have the full support of everyone at Old Trafford. I've no doubt he'll get a stunning reception when he's introduced for his first home game.

You'll be surprised.

Plenty have thought they knew better before now, don't see that changing now.

We all knew Moyes for Fergie's choice but there was something Fergie himself telling us to support Moyes that struck a chord.

Christ, how can anyone NOT be behind him?

He wasn't my first choice, but it doesn't matter one but. In a week's time, he's the manager. OUR manager.

This. Fergie fired everyone up, it was great to watch. I want next season to start now.

God no, I need the rest. A full football season always takes its toll on me, if the new one started right now I'd probably go mad in a couple of weeks.

he seems to have done a fine job with everton with their limited talent and finances. there's no reason he won't succeed at United where talent and money won't be an issue.

Having spent the last few days just getting used to all this, and letting it sink in, I'm really happy with the appointment of Moyes.

The more I think about it the better this appointment seems.

We are lucky, Sir Alex leaves the club with all fundations in place for continious success. The squad and the infrastructure of the club does not need a big overhaul from Moyes.

As for the squad itself, what needs to be done during the summer depends on what happens with Rooney and Nani.

You'll be surprised.

Plenty have thought they knew better before now, don't see that changing now.

I didn't think he was the best choice but there's no way I'm not going to support him a 100%. We fergie said that its our job to give the new ,manager patience and support, I immediently thought about how relevant that message was. And I really hope united fans take the great mans message very seriously. Results might be expected from moyes fairly quickly but at the same time he will need the fans backing and patience.

We all knew Moyes for Fergie's choice but there was something Fergie himself telling us to support Moyes that struck a chord.

Yup, gives you a whole lot more belief when it comes straight from him.

Some chancers earlier in the thread said Moyes plays ugly football.

Watched their game today - Everton played some stunning football at times, which reminded me of the last few times I watched Everton play; good football.

Weird.

Really looking forward for next season already - honestly can not wait. Will be a completely new experience for me, along with many others I'm sure, of seeing a new manager at United. I'll miss Fergie, no words can portray that, but I'm really excited.

Really looking forward for next season already - honestly can not wait. Will be a completely new experience for me, along with many others I'm sure, of seeing a new manager at United. I'll miss Fergie, no words can portray that, but I'm really excited.

Definitely. I'm weirdly excited to see a new era in United's history, it's just mental to think that the next time we play at OT Fergie won't be in charge. Moyes has got my full support though. Even if United fans aren't happy with his appointment, they need to support him too.

Watched their game today - Everton played some stunning football at times, which reminded me of the last few times I watched Everton play; good football.

Weird.

Completely agree - and it's not just rationalisation, I was saying this in a thread earlier in the season.

Everton can certainly mix it up, and they're very solid, but they play some nice stuff at times on the deck. They ran us round the ground like Roger Federer at Goodison this season.

Definitely. I'm weirdly excited to see a new era in United's history, it's just mental to think that the next time we play at OT Fergie won't be in charge. Moyes has got my full support though. Even if United fans aren't happy with his appointment, they need to support him too.

Well, I support him but I'm still very sceptical. It's not what I expected, to be honest. And I'm still waiting for the special one.

Well, I support him but I'm still very sceptical. It's not what I expected, to be honest. And I'm still waiting for the special one.

You do that. I'll be glad if he never comes near United.