Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

togg

Good picture...dramatic and he looks the business

Next season? Bring it on. I'm fully behind him. Plus i'm well aware we might go a season or two without winning anything. I'm willing to give him the same time I did Fergie in 1986. Although I have to say, if united had been beaten by forest in that cup tie in 1990, I was one of those who probably thought he'd had his chance and it was tara fergie...

Man-United

David Moyes to face the media
The outgoing Everton boss David Moyes will face the media this afternoon but the club says he will not answer any questions about his new appointment as Manchester United manager.

That won't end well.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Be interesting to see how he handles the media. Ferguson would rule with an iron fist. This is probably the biggest media storm Moyes will have had to endure

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Would be funny if he banned the first journo to ask him about his appontment

ricky-romeo

i think he should be fine. fergei left him with a decent squad and a very well organized backstaffs.

what's interesting is how he is going to attract the big names to join united. even fergei failed with some players, such as ronaldinho, shearer etc but that doesn't stop him from making other signings which contributed to the club's success over the years.

let say if moyes did well to win us trophies in his first 4 or 5 years, then the next 4 or 5 years after that would be even a greater challenge for him imo. there are managers out there who managed to built a great side but to build 2 or 3 different sides with similar success is a rarity. look at arsene wenger. when he first arrived at arsenal they immediately became united's and sir alex main challenger for about 6 or 7 seasons but even he felt short when building his supposedly second great team. what's special about sir alex is his ability to built at least 3 different great teams, possibly 4, over the last 2 decades or so.

i know it is quite some way to go for that so let's see how he does next season first. hopefully everything turns out well.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Barnes, the day anyone listens to you about management, is the day that role becomes extinct. Great grounds to comment given your time at Celtic eh?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
You have to say fair fecks to Moyes. He's like an old school manager (which I think is a big part of why he got the job).

Listening to those who've worked with him over the past couple of days what you hear is a story of a very straight up, hard working, no bullshit sort of guy.

He did a great job at Preston and go his shot at the big time when he was offered the job at Everton (what a decision by Kenwright!), where he's continued to work hard, with limited resources, but has provided stability there which is what they need. He arguably did the best job anyone could have at both clubs, through dedication and hard work.

Thats paid off now and he's got his shot on the biggest stage of all. If what his colleagues have said is accurate I think he's going to see this as another huge challenge to step up and prove himself at the highest level.

I think he'll have the hunger to do that (maybe far more than other more proven alternatives), and based on his CV to date he certainly seems to have the required committment and dedication.

We're all going to miss Fergie, its going to be weird, but it was inevitable and its happened, fans need to start looking forward. Moyes might not have been everyones dream replacement but dreams can very quickly turn into nightmares...

I can't wait to see how the new Utd turn out now, lets give the manager time and judge him on that and cut out all the 'I got the wrong colour iphone for Xmas' and predictions of doom can we?

Legend16

Well said Pop

if someone had told me the solution was going to be a hard working dedicated manager, whos done an outstanding job at his former club, coming in and working with this squad and Fergie in the background to guide him thru his first couple of years I'd have said thats ideal. I'm liking this appointment more and more. hugely optimistic about this. not least with the great man there in the background as a steadying force. more so probably than if one of the big egos had arrived.

He's our manager now. we've a great squad. time to get behind the man and give him every chance

Eyepopper

Be interesting to see how he handles the media. Ferguson would rule with an iron fist. This is probably the biggest media storm Moyes will have had to endure
Mark Lawrenson was asked about this on the radio yesterday, they're big mates apparently, and he said 'trust me, when he sits down and stares at them with those steeley eyes, they'll shit themselves'.

His other comment was that Moyes has never changed as a person in all his time in football, which I take as a huge postive too.

The more I hear the more I like.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Can anyone make a gif of his touchline argument with Fergie.

If he didn’t back down from him, he has already shown he has big balls.

Varun

Staff
good to know Pops.. This has the potential to be great for us if he can bed in and fit the club. long term manager who wont rock the boat and a seamless transition. perfect for us. was against the appointment personally but can see the positives.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Starting to come round to the idea of Moyes, he is mentally strong I suppose which in my view makes me more confident about him being a success than I was when Berbatov joined.

Siorac

He refused to talk about United in his EVERTON presser today. Dan Roan felt that that was 'embarrassing'. Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

It's like the siege mentality is already beginning :devil:
WTF? It would be embarassing if he was discussing his future employer when he's still got a job to do at his club.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: You said you hoped he stayed on at your club the other week, done a complete u-turn because he criticised the media darling that is Casillas.
Don't be stupid ffs, that's not the only reason. If you don't see what this man is doing to my club then I don't know what to say anymore. He clearly wants the club to sack him so he can collect his big paycheque before fecking off. Why would I back anyone who doesn' t want to be at the club and is coming out with bullshit quotes taunting the board, the fans and the players every fecking five seconds?

Anyway, this thread isn't about that, it's about Moyes and I really honestly believe he'll be better for your club in the long run than hoping for instant succes with Mourinho with all the shit he brings with him.

EvilChuck

That Martin Samuel article is spot on with how I feel, and have felt since the first rumours about David Moyes taking over started. I can't imagine someone like Mourinho or Ancelotti having the patience with some of the younger players in the squad who will make mistakes through inexperience and indecisiveness, and I'd hate to see the likes of Welbeck, Smalling, Jones etc missing out on game time just because the manager was more interested in winning trophies in the short term.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Vato I have a question for you. Do you agree with the club siding with players like Ramos and Casillas over the manager?

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Don't be stupid ffs, that's not the only reason. If you don't see what this man is doing to my club then I don't know what to say anymore. He clearly wants the club to sack him so he can collect his big paycheque before fecking off. Why would I back anyone who doesn' t want to be at the club and is coming out with bullshit quotes taunting the board, the fans and the players every fecking five seconds?

Anyway, this thread isn't about that, it's about Moyes and I really honestly believe he'll be better for your club in the long run than hoping for instant succes with Mourinho with all the shit he brings with him.
Agreed with the second part. What Mourinho is doing over in Madrid is ridiculous, and I want him nowhere near this club. He may guarantee success, but at what cost? He won't stay here for long and could drag the club down. Not worth the risk, and those saying that he could settle down here are living in a dream world. He's feck off after a few years or even before if it ever goes belly up.

Nogbadthebad

Average age of Liverpool squad was 30 when Souness came in. Uniteds in currently 25. If you take out Giggs its probably a couple of years less.
Theres also the fact Souness was inept clot who couldnt run a bath never mind a football club, and whilst I dont think Moyes has the best of CV's , hes taken a team from relegation fodder to a consistent european place challenger on a budget of nothing , mostly with journeymen and misfits and over a sustained period of time.

I may question his nouse when it comes to the minutiae difference between winning and losing against the Bayern's and Madrids of this world, but his ability to sustain a club at or above its level is there for all to see.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

He’s no gentleman, that’s for sure. Sometimes that’s a good thing, of course: He needs to be a little crazy in order to make his methods work effectively. But there’s this part to him which seems to be only about himself - feck the rest of the world, including his own club and his own players. It’s not an appealing trait on any level. And a major reason why I am very relieved we didn’t go for him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think I want preseason to start already. I am not the biggest Moyes fan but I will be behind him when the new season starts. Just not knowing how he is going to do is half the worry. Just want to start seeing the changes he is going to make and who is going to bring in and the style of play we use.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Vato I have a question for you. Do you agree with the club siding with players like Ramos and Casillas over the manager?
First of all I have one for you. Who do you think that wants the best for the club? Mourinho or Casillas? Think about that instead of blindly calling my club a circus at every opportunity. I've admitted that my club is far from perfect but turning a blind eye for Mourinho's antics at the moment is absurd, you can't be such a big fanboy of him surely? Anyway, let's stop derailing this thread, if you reply to me, do it in the Mourinho thread or one of the dozens of other active ones that are more appropriate for you to show your disdain for Madrid or love for "the only one".

Eyepopper

Well, he's certainly Scottish... there's no doubt about that!

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
That picture looks a CBBC version of trainspotters.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A remake of Gregory's Girl is on the cards.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
David Moyes to face the media
The outgoing Everton boss David Moyes will face the media this afternoon but the club says he will not answer any questions about his new appointment as Manchester United manager.

That won't end well.
He did the right thing though. He's still Everton's manager after all.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
All my thoughts are with the press at this difficult time.