Man United appoint Moyes | Round, Woods, Lumsden, P Neville in; Giggs player/coach; Albert stays

He's perfect for your club but not ours. I don't mean that as a slight either, just there is a difference in how the two clubs are run and what the fans expect from a manager.

I've made no secret of the fact that David Moyes wasn't my first choice (neither was Mourinho, for those who think the two are inextricably linked).

The constant mockery of Moyes from opposition fans has made me warm to him a lot quicker though, that's for sure. I would really, really love it if he proved everyone (including me) spectacularly wrong.

Remember, he had his heart set on that United job! Honest!
I'm not claiming that.

I'm just claiming that one of those jobs is like being the successor of Isaac Newton himself to the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics. It'll take a lot for me to believe any person with an ounce of ambition within his field just turned that down because of some nebulous 'love' for a club he had no connections to in the first place.

He's perfect for your club but not ours. I don't mean that as a slight either, just there is a difference in how the two clubs are run and what the fans expect from a manager.

I would find it amusing if after years of United fans claiming that he was absolutely obsessed with getting the United job one day that he'd turn it down.

Always thought his supposed coveting of the position was massively overhyped and baseless.

It's bollocks anyway.

of course it is.

Moyes was talking to United the day Fergie announced his retirement, and the odds on him succeeding Fergie had dropped no end the weekend before , people on the inside already knew what was going on well before it began, and it wasnt Jose.

I would have liked him, I think as a 2 year bridge after Fergie and all the media interest he would have been a good choice, with the long term guy coming after, but after risingsuns wumming, I will laugh my balls off if he doesnt join chelsea now and they are left with the interim spaniard.

You would say Manchester United and Arsenal there is a difference in how the two clubs are run? Bearing in mind every club is unique, I struggle to find a club that operates so similarly to us in so many ways over such a long period. Board backing the manager, one long manager, spend less funds than top yet constantly challenge (or Arsenal just constantly behind, but they do spend less). They buy cheap and make players rather than buy stars...

I would say we are very similar.

I would find it amusing if after years of United fans claiming that he was absolutely obsessed with getting the United job one day that he'd turn it down.

Always thought his supposed coveting of the position was massively overhyped and baseless.

In the Moyes Vs Mourinho thread that Niall made I have been singing moyes praise since 2009 I think.

You would say Manchester United and Arsenal there is a difference in how the two clubs are run? Bearing in mind every club is unique, I struggle to find a club that operates so similarly to us in so many ways over such a long period. Board backing the manager, one long manager, spend less funds than top yet constantly challenge (or Arsenal just constantly behind, but they do spend less). They buy cheap and make players rather than buy stars...

I would say we are very similar.

TheRisingSun is a Chelsea fan. (I thought)

I'm almost certain I watched an MUTV interview with Mourinho from just before the Madrid game where he said he wasn't really interested and intimated pretty clearly that it wasn't a natural fit anyway. A lot of the "we snubbed him/he snubbed us" shit is complete conjecture. Either from people desperate to think his main goal in life was to come here, or those desperate to think we're "better/above" him. Both are probably bollocks. Last week everyone was certain he'd go to Chelsea, so why this would send him into a panic I don't know. If he truly is desperate to come here he wouldn't have expected it to be right now anyway. Or perhaps, considering he's so close to SAF, and the Moyes thing has evidently been planned for yonks anyway, he knew, hence why he nonchalantly shrugged it off in that interview.

People's conjecture is merely projecting, influenced by their opinions of him. It's entirely possible his constant reverence to SAF is just that. Respect for someone he sees as an iconic figure in his profession.

As for Moyes, I've come round to the idea a lot. I respect that it's the "proper" thing to do. There's so much fuss made of how hard it is for British managers to break into the elite, and this shows a due respect for hard work and longevity and giving a chance to potential rather than the same crop of obvious heavyweights or flavours of the month. The only qualm I had with the initial announcement was this idea that Moyes & SAF were "cut from the same cloth" which also fit in with the same idea that Mourinho wasn't "our class" or whatever.

When Fergie first came here, his closest paralels were not other angry scots, but the likes of Jose or (hush it in whispered tones) Benitez when they first came here. Miraculously successful with 'lesser' teams, hired because they were winners but unknown quantities on these shores. I find the whole Mourinho/class debate tedious, because to most opposition fans Fergie is just as arrogant as Jose (how d'you think Liverpool fans see the famous "perch" comment?...Humble and classy?)

But as it is, whatever happens, it's interesting, and a good thing for British football (which has become wildly out of step with the other top leagues in how the big teams pick managers) to show that "doing your time" so to speak, can earn you the right to step up. As business equivalents go it's closer to promoting from within than hiring a swanky new manager from a rival firm. And that's good.

He deserves 2 years of fan patience at the very least. And if it goes tits up, then welcome to the world of pretty much every other football fan on the planet. I've never had much truck with the idea that our fans are inherently more or less classy than any other. And this will be the test of it.

I've never had much truck with the idea that our fans are inherently more or less classy than any other.
Who're claiming such nonsense?
You've met United supporters genuinely claiming they're classier than other supporters? Depressing.

Nothing could be sillier & more laughable, hence my love of the RAWK thread.

The club is classy though.

Fans not so much

I honestly don't believe Mourinho coming to the club and working so closely or directly with Sir Alex would have worked.

Yes they are good friends and get on well but remember they both have big ego's and its one thing being mates and its another thing then working together. I'm not saying Moyes is a push over but I think they would work a lot better together.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

On another note I wonder if Moyes will be allowed to continue with his guest pundit appearances on MOTD and Sky?

Who're claiming such nonsense?

Plenty on Twitter, facebook, or indeed this thread

https://www.redcafe.net/f6/will-moyes-hounded-out-370548/#post13441022

Regular matchgoers are far more aware of how dickish some can be. We're football fans. And that comes with plenty of caveats.

That being said, this is the first time a huge swell of our support will ever have been in such a situation. There are many who think our unique luck in having such a stoic regime equates to normality.

I honestly don't believe Mourinho coming to the club and working so closely or directly with Sir Alex would have worked.

Yes they are good friends and get on well but remember they both have big ego's and its one thing being mates and its another thing then working together. I'm not saying Moyes is a push over but I think they would work a lot better together.

On another note I wonder if Moyes will be allowed to continue with his guest pundit appearances on MOTD and Sky?

I'd say not a chance.

I'm almost certain I watched an MUTV interview with Mourinho from just before the Madrid game where he said he wasn't really interested and intimated pretty clearly that it wasn't a natural fit anyway. A lot of the "we snubbed him/he snubbed us" shit is complete conjecture. Either from people desperate to think his main goal in life was to come here, or those desperate to think we're "better/above" him. Both are probably bollocks. Last week everyone was certain he'd go to Chelsea, so why this would send him into a panic I don't know. If he truly is desperate to come here he wouldn't have expected it to be right now anyway. Or perhaps, considering he's so close to SAF, and the Moyes thing has evidently been planned for yonks anyway, he knew, hence why he nonchalantly shrugged it off in that interview.

People's conjecture is merely projecting, influenced by their opinions of him. It's entirely possible his constant reverence to SAF is just that. Respect for someone he sees as an iconic figure in his profession.

As for Moyes, I've come round to the idea a lot. I respect that it's the "proper" thing to do. There's so much fuss made of how hard it is for British managers to break into the elite, and this shows a due respect for hard work and longevity and giving a chance to potential rather than the same crop of obvious heavyweights or flavours of the month. The only qualm I had with the initial announcement was this idea that Moyes & SAF were "cut from the same cloth" which also fit in with the same idea that Mourinho wasn't "our class" or whatever.

When Fergie first came here, his closest paralels were not other angry scots, but the likes of Jose or (hush it in whispered tones) Benitez when they first came here. Miraculously successful with 'lesser' teams, hired because they were winners but unknown quantities on these shores. I find the whole Mourinho/class debate tedious, because to most opposition fans Fergie is just as arrogant as Jose (how d'you think Liverpool fans see the famous "perch" comment?...Humble and classy?)

But as it is, whatever happens, it's interesting, and a good thing for British football (which has become wildly out of step with the other top leagues in how the big teams pick managers) to show that "doing your time" so to speak, can earn you the right to step up. As business equivalents go it's closer to promoting from within than hiring a swanky new manager from a rival firm. And that's good.

He deserves 2 years of fan patience at the very least. And if it goes tits up, then welcome to the world of pretty much every other football fan on the planet. I've never had much truck with the idea that our fans are inherently more or less classy than any other. And this will be the test of it.

yeah. this is a good post. as fergie would say, well done

You've had it worse than most. There was always a real possibility we could turn into the same kind of circus you have when Fergie left. And there still is if this doesn't work.

Though whatever can be said for Madrid's revolving door President centric policy, you've at least had a track record of giving relatively untested managers a chance. Queiroz being a good example.

You've also had an equally good record of sacking people when they've been successful though, so that probably cancels it out.

Plenty on Twitter, facebook, or indeed this thread

https://www.redcafe.net/f6/will-moyes-hounded-out-370548/#post13441022

Regular matchgoers are far more aware of how dickish some can be. We're football fans. And that comes with plenty of caveats.

That being said, this is the first time a huge swell of our support will ever have been in such a situation. There are many who think our unique luck in having such a stoic regime equates to normality.
I'm happy I've not had the time to immerse myself in all of that; I've been overwhelmed even trying to keep up with all the tributes. If there's one thing we have going for us, it's knowing that we're biased & partisan & silly, never pretending we're anything but. Although I can easily see how that attitude could be interpreted as a meta-level of classier-than-thou, absolutely.

He's not exactly going to need the money is he.:lol:

Starting to warm to the idea, everything doesn't seem quite as depressing as a few days ago. He's still got a lot to prove but im looking forward to see what he does with the team.

You've had it worst than most. There was always a real possibility we could turn into the same kind of circus you have when Fergie left. And there still is if this doesn't work.

Though whatever can be said for Madrid's revolving door President centric policy, you've at least had a track record of giving relatively untested managers a chance. Queiroz being a good example.

You've also had an equally good record of sacking people when they've been successful though, so that probably cancels it out.

Agreed, altough the United board showed patience with Fergie at the start of his career when he wasn't successful, which paid off in the end.

Something our presidents... err... never had I guess. Their urge for instant success is why we have to spend huge amounts to keep up with clubs like Barcelona, wish someone would bring stability and a better youth development program.

Things might hopefully change if rumours are believed that Zidane will get a more significant role next season.

It's a one of those charm/curse situations. In theory we'd love to have the chance to vote for who runs us...but it leaves the door open for the large fanbase of idiots to vote in absolute twonks like Perez...Twice!

Once the hopefuls have to promise extravagant things to curry favour with the masses, things can get silly.

'Tis the fatal flaw of democracy.

The weird thing with you is that you have a good youth system. In theory at least. The whole castilla/masia playing in the lower leagues thing should in theory be brilliant, you've just had a succession of impatient people, from directors to fans, who've no truck with that approach. There are plenty of good players who've been in the Castilla that went elsewhere because the policy was BUY WHOEVER'S REALLY GOOD NOW!!!

Agreed, altough the United board showed patience with Fergie at the start of his career when he wasn't successful, which paid off in the end.

Something our presidents... err... never had I guess. Their urge for instant success is why we have to spend huge amounts to keep up with clubs like Barcelona, wish someone would bring stability and a better youth development program.

Things might hopefully change if rumours are believed that Zidane will get a more significant role next season.

You have to put in mind that when saf took over the club was on the wrong side of the table, so patience was needed because no one can turn a club from relegation fighters to league winners in a couple of years.

Moyes on the other hand is inheriting a platform for success, the club is in a fantastic shape, so don't expect the glazers to give him the same patience fergie had when he first started. If the shit hits the fan he'll be sacked.