Man City's inevitable Treble

City have done one thing (assuming they win the treble), that no other English club have done in the Premier League era : they have dominated the league and Europe at the same time.
What we are witnessing here is domination. SAF always said one of the marks of a great team is you have to dominate in Europe as well as your own league.
I didn’t feel we ever dominated Europe. We won yes, but it was always tough. City are just destroying teams at the moment and this has never been done. Which is annoying and impressive in equal measure, cheating aside of course.

We weren't dominating Europe on the pitch because in no way were we financially dominating Europe. '99 was a relatively cheap team. As opposed to City.

Jonathan Liew in The Guardian:

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?
Going along these lines it’s almost too perfect a treble. It’s all just very straight forward. There’s no adversity, drama, comebacks, injuries or suspensions to key players to overcome, it’s all up until this stage just been ‘easy’. It’s basically like a football manager treble. City just mechanically cruising their way through with over powered tactics.

The finals will be won by complete ease by them too and I’m sure no city fan will give a toss and they shouldn’t but it is odd seeing it done this way when you see how United, Inter and Bayern won there’s for instance. Our juve, Liverpool, bayern comebacks. The horrific fa cup draws. Inter somehow overcoming that ridiculous Barca side playing with ten men at camp Nou. Roma bottling the title by inexplicably losing to sampdoria. Bayern completely bottling the finals the year before and then coming full circle, there was always something, a story. Deffo getting vibes from that “do city leave you cold” thread.

Going along these lines it’s almost too perfect a treble. It’s all just very straight forward. There’s no adversity, drama, comebacks, injuries or suspensions to key players to overcome, it’s all up until this stage just been ‘easy’. It’s basically like a football manager treble. City just mechanically cruising their way through with over powered tactics.

The finals will be won by complete ease by them too and I’m sure no city fan will give a toss and they shouldn’t but it is odd seeing it done this way when you see how United, Inter and Bayern won there’s for instance. Our juve, Liverpool, bayern comebacks. The horrific fa cup draws. Inter somehow overcoming that ridiculous Barca side playing with ten men at camp Nou. Roma bottling the title by inexplicably losing to sampdoria. Bayern completely bottling the finals the year before and then coming full circle, there was always something, a story. Deffo getting vibes from that “do city leave you cold” thread.

Technically, City do meet this requirement

Technically it was year before that , but they do have to overcome their local rivals in one of the finals so there is one of your narratives and also putting one of his apprentice in his place to win the league could have been another one but it kind of fizzled out in the end .

Inter won't be able to stand up to this City. Then again in a final game anything could happen in a 1 off on an odd night in Istanbul.

Technically it was year before that , but they do have to overcome their local rivals in one of the finals so there is one of your narratives and also putting one of his apprentice in his place to win the league could have been another one but it kind of fizzled out in the end .
Not to mention they were 9 points behind or something in the league at one point weren’t they

If City win the treble, the GOAT argument ends with Pep. There were times under SAF, I felt that defensive camp and counter managers with shit on stick awful football, under the garb of tactics used to always outwit us in key matches. God I used to hate them and it was a general theme in Europe.

SAF failed, Wenger failed, more recently even Klopp failed and a lot of other attacking managers failed to these 'tactical genius' craps like Mou, Capello, Ancelotti, Rafa, Simeone etc. It is here that Pep lays his GOAT Claim separating himself from his peers. He can absolutely destroy these billion dollar stacked Stoke City imitating campers by playing his beautiful attacking football. Hard to grudge the man.

Watch the CL win last season where an absolute Gobshite Madrid team lucking it out to a CL win and then compare it to the current City team dominantly motoring towards the final. The difference is stark. If he crosses the final hurdle, Pep would certainly be favorite for the GOAT.
I just hope you're an opposition fan.

City have done one thing (assuming they win the treble), that no other English club have done in the Premier League era : they have dominated the league and Europe at the same time.
What we are witnessing here is domination. SAF always said one of the marks of a great team is you have to dominate in Europe as well as your own league.
I didn’t feel we ever dominated Europe. We won yes, but it was always tough. City are just destroying teams at the moment and this has never been done. Which is annoying and impressive in equal measure, cheating aside of course.
We werent dominating but a 2007-09 was well on top in Europe I think.

Pity the FA and also UEFA don't have the b**ls to dock them points or relegate them for financial doping.

They didn’t reach either the fa cup or cl final last season.

Not to mention they were 9 points behind or something in the league at one point weren’t they

No serious person actually thought arsenal would win the league. 9 points behind in January when you still have to play the league leaders twice is very different to say being 8 points behind with 4 games left (2012 city title win)

I will never recognise Citys treble, assuming they win it. Financial fair play breaches seem clear given the huge number of charges brought against them. Very clever powerful lawyers may (or may not) find a loop hole to get them off…. But it stinks And always will.

as for Pep being the goat, has he ever taken over a struggling club and rebuilt them from top to bottom as SAF did at United…. and then go on an unprecedented trophy, 13 premier league titles, 2 Champions leagues, 5 FA Cups, 4 league cups.

Only one Goat for me. Sir Alex.

I will never recognise Citys treble, assuming they win it. Financial fair play breaches seem clear given the huge number of charges brought against them. Very clever powerful lawyers may (or may not) find a loop hole to get them off…. But it stinks And always will.

as for Pep being the goat, has he ever taken over a struggling club and rebuilt them from top to bottom as SAF did at United…. and then go on an unprecedented trophy, 13 premier league titles, 2 Champions leagues, 5 FA Cups, 4 league cups.

Why does Pep have to take over a struggling team to become the GOAT? Ridiculous argument.
He could win 4/5 CLs and 15/16 league titles in 3 different leagues, but could never be GOAT because he didn't manage Everton? Really.
Pep will be the GOAT when all is said and done.

The only crumb of comfort from City going to Instanbul will be watching City’s top Berts stuck at the airport or fecked over on flights or sold fake tickets and they are giving it their best compo Stockport face on Granada reports.

Will they be booing the CL anthem that night too?

SAF is the GOAT because of what he did over a very long period of time, taking United back to the top after not winning the league for 20+ years and building elite team after elite team in a tough league over 2 decades. Also throw in the success with Aberdeen in the Scottish league and in Europe, beating Real Madrid in a European final.

However Pep is one of the greatest managers ever and there's no use pretending otherwise. Even if we view his City success as tainted (and there are obviously legit reasons for that view), his Barcelona team is the best side I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of teams.

Edit: just remembered there is the Barca scandal ongoing so I guess that's tainted as well. SAF is not implicated in any cheating at any point to the best of my knowledge.

SAF is the GOAT because of what he did over a very long period of time, taking United back to the top after not winning the league for 20+ years and building elite team after elite team in a tough league over 2 decades. Also throw in the success with Aberdeen in the Scottish league and in Europe, beating Real Madrid in a European final.

However Pep is one of the greatest managers ever and there's no use pretending otherwise. Even if we view his City success as tainted (and there are obviously legit reasons for that view), his Barcelona team is the best side I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of teams.
There's no denying Pep's a great manager and coach but when comparing him to other great managers it does hurt his legacy that he's never really took a challenge yet. Even Mourinho has Porto. You can argue what he did there is more impressive than anything Pep has done.

City were well below their best earlier in the season and Guardiola publicly shamed some life into his players. He refused to accept what was happening and fixed it. Now they’re unstoppable. Klopp, meanwhile, just had to watch Liverpool’s season fall to pieces, unable to do a thing about it.

Guardiola’s stock has risen a bit more this season with this inevitable march to the treble.

The worst thing isn't their "inevitable" treble. Win it or not, they can claim at the end of the season that their goal, next year, will be to win all four competitions they're in, and it will be the most natural thing in the football world. Everybody will be like: "Yup, why not? Definitely can see it happening". Or, if they do the treble, they may drop off a bit next season and allow Liverpool to clench the title and match our PL record. Jesus...

The media all praises on Manchester city. But then united to be sold to Qatar and it is all taboo and everybody is morally high. This British media is a bunch of hypocrites and that is why I have zero respect to the British media.

Newcastle will be winning at least one trophy every season from next year onwards. So there’s that.

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?
Exactly. What a lot of people have been saying.

The media all praises on Manchester city. But then united to be sold to Qatar and it is all taboo and everybody is morally high. This British media is a bunch of hypocrites and that is why I have zero respect to the British media.
This is what gets at my tits.

The media taking the high ground with their sanctimonious drivel about how Qatar buying us would be the death of football, and how United fans should respect the sanctity of football and oppose the take over. Yet at the same time they're creaming themselves over little ol City and their breathtaking football.

A bit of consistency eh?

There's no denying Pep's a great manager and coach but when comparing him to other great managers it does hurt his legacy that he's never really took a challenge yet. Even Mourinho has Porto. You can argue what he did there is more impressive than anything Pep has done.
I'm never gonna argue that anything Mourinho does or did is more impressive than anything Pep's done because Mourinho's teams play shit football. But your general point is fair.

Fair comment. Totally.

Why does Pep have to take over a struggling team to become the GOAT? Ridiculous argument.
He could win 4/5 CLs and 15/16 league titles in 3 different leagues, but could never be GOAT because he didn't manage Everton? Really.
Pep will be the GOAT when all is said and done.
He will definitely be the GOAT with a lot of cheating and unlimited oil money asterisks. People already attach the Negreira scandal with Barca everytime Barca is mentioned, it is and will be the same with City.

Why isn't the financial doping topic front and centre of every conversation the media has about this City team and their possible treble?

It's like everyone has forgotten how they've gotten into position in the first place, and the 100 plus charges that are still hanging over them. An absolute skank of a club, utterly shameless.

It's okay though, they're plucky underdogs that the rest of the league should be proud of :rolleyes:

This is what gets at my tits.

The media taking the high ground with their sanctimonious drivel about how Qatar buying us would be the death of football, and how United fans should respect the sanctity of football and oppose the take over. Yet at the same time they're creaming themselves over little ol City and their breathtaking football.

A bit of consistency eh?
Jim White was on talksport yesterday saying we should all thank Pep and City and be grateful for the great football we get to witness, sickening how the media have forgotten about the 115 charges they have and the fine + ban they already had from UEFA

This paragraph perfectly captures the essence of why I'm vehemently opposed to the idea of Jassim taking over at United.

We weren't dominating Europe on the pitch because in no way were we financially dominating Europe. '99 was a relatively cheap team. As opposed to City.

Good point. Our starting line up in Barca in 99 cost around 37m. In todays money that would be around 67.5m.

Citys last night cost around 535m.

Its madness.