Man City's inevitable Treble

So a can't beat em, join em race to the bottom style approach. I mean I'm increasingly on board at this point. Football feels broken beyond the point of repair anyway.

I don’t think it would matter. If we had got Pep after SAF, I think our level of success would have been pretty similar (if we didn’t have Woodward and had Pep’s staff). Their signings are all signings that we could have made, they’re not signing unearthed gems. Money has not been the problem for us.

I didn't watch the game tonight but surely Inter and United will approach the games in a very different way to Madrid who, quite rightly, will feel closer to City in quality (perhaps not justified by tonight's result but by the players at least). Hopefully both teams will make a real fight of it and tactically it will be a different sort of match.

Also worth noting Liverpool were two games away from history last season and didn't make it. Football can be like that sometimes.
It was different last season. It was City who were marginally leading the league, not Arsenal. And no way was Pep potentially going to lose all 3 titles to Liverpool (League, FA Cup, CL).
Better you accept it now and anything different will be a bonus.
Also even if no one cares about cheating, oil money, etc. (not true that no one cares), but let’s assume all that matters is what’s in the history books ignoring all context, then those books will still show us as the first treble winners from England.

If somebody told you now that in about 10 years or so, Newcastle would be demolishing bayern and real on their way towards actually coasting to a treble, it wouldnt be something anybody would be excited by. Thats all thats happened here. Dont let the narrative fool you, its in media and PL interest to make all dazzling, but they've very simply ripped the sport to shreds and this is exactly what should happen when a corrupt state owns a football club with pretty much no financial restriction for a decade. They're an incredible team - but that's not the issue. why shouldnt they be incredible and far better than anybody else. This isnt just about player signings, its about absolutely everthing that let a small club, in no time at all, attract the best players, managers, facilities and off pitch staff. Its laughable that anybody thinks its remotely competitive. Theyre about to go into a cl final against a team that was starting ashley young a year ago, as part of a team with plenty of PL rejects including a guy city judged not worth keeping nearly a decade ago.

Let's keep the faith.

City were great and are on a terrific form but Real had nothing tonight, and in general aren't as good as some people think they are when their best players aren't working miracles. City are by far the better team collectively and already were last season.

Inter will play with far more intensity than Real did and actually have the players to defend and counter-attack effectively. The final isn't a forgone conclusion in my opinion.

Yeah they're winning the CL. Even if Guardiola goes galaxy brain and decides to field only 10 men for it they're winning anyways. The level of confidence, hunger and focus they showed tonight were terrifying

FA cup final is one week before CL so maybe they won't be quite this up for that?
One week is enough time to prepare, they'll be up for it. Tbh I won't be that gutted about their treble because I think it's been coming for years now. Could've happened in 2019 or 2021 as well. 2022 as well though Liverpool battered them in 1st half of Fa Cup semis.

It was different last season. It was City who were marginally leading the league, not Arsenal. And no way was Pep potentially going to lose all 3 titles to Liverpool (League, FA Cup, CL).
Better you accept it now and anything different will be a bonus.
Also even if no one cares about cheating, oil money, etc. (not true that no one cares), but let’s assume all that matters is what’s in the history books ignoring all context, then those books will still show us as the first treble winners from England.
It was extremely close last season with City losing 2-0 to Villa until the 76th minute. Liverpool were closer to the four trophies than i can remember any other team being in the modern era and i was pretty damn worried it would happen.

Also, if people do care about City's method of success, where is it being mentioned? Where's the dislike of City in the media or among other fan bases? Where's the criticism? I'm really just not seeing all that much of it. In a few months time another story of them cooking the books will appear and then disappear just as quickly and turn to apathy. It just doesn't seem to register with most football fans.

Good point about us being the first to do it though. Agreed.

It was extremely close last season with City losing 2-0 to Villa until the 76th minute. Liverpool were closer to the four trophies than i can remember any other team being in the modern era and i was pretty damn worried it would happen.

Also, if people do care about City's method of success, where is it being mentioned? Where's the dislike of City in the media or among other fan bases? Where's the criticism? I'm really just not seeing all that much of it. In a few months time another story of them cooking the books will appear and then disappear just as quickly and turn to apathy. It just doesn't seem to register with most football fans.

Good point about us being the first to do it though. Agreed.
I mean Sky are hardly going to say „Brilliant by Haaland, absolutely brilliant, but hey remember the 115 charges against City, but what a goal“
Everyone usually talks about what is happening now, not about what happened last season or what may happen in a few months/years.
The charges are officially there. But pundits, etc. will lose their jobs if they talk about them.

They’re starting to look more formidable than the Barca side that there was no answer to.
Tactically this City team is on another level compared to that Barcelona team. Talent wise they are below it of course but Guardiola evolved a lot in this 11 years since he left Barca and now he is far better coach.

You have to congratulate them really. The most expensive team ever assembled and probably spent the same again under the table. Their fans must be so satisfied. I know I always am when I keep resetting Championship Manager until I win.

You have to congratulate them really. The most expensive team ever assembled and probably spent the same again under the table. Their fans must be so satisfied. I know I always am when I keep resetting Championship Manager until I win.
I remember playing LMA manager years ago, there was a cheat to get unlimited money so I know how they feel

Qatari bid is the only bid to reverse the damage and decline inflicted by the Glazers. Otherwise, you will wait another 20/30 years of mediocrity.

Hopefully the cnuts get stripped of all their titles. That’s pretty much the only hope while they flout. The rules for fun.

I’d just like to take this opportunity to congratulate City on the treble. Amazing achievement.

Very very very comfortable victory tonight. 4-0 maybe even 5-0. Done deal.
This was quite possibly the most horrific jinx I could have executed.

Meh, was always going to happen. Should’ve happened a lot sooner with their resources.

Liverpool doing it would sting, but City? About time is all I can say.

Yeah that's the small crumbs of consolation

So slick...amazing team. Best I have seen coming from the PL including our invincibles and those dominant Utd sides. I still don't like the history of how this club got propped up but hard to deny what Pep has done.

Not quite in my opinion. Maybe they have more of a physical edge, but Messi, Iniesta and Xavi in particular are in a league of their own.

It's noy just that, that barca side while the European field wasn't amazing in 2011, domestically they were up agaisnt an incredibly strong Madrid side, and beat them in the semi finals in Europe. City have beaten a bayern team that sacked their manager mid season before the City tie, and a Madrid team massively off the pace in la liga. And domestically their closest challengers have utterly collapsed and were beaten by sporting Lisbon in the europa league. I'm not saying City aren't impressive, but they're the best of a weak field this year

So slick...amazing team. Best I have seen coming from the PL including our invincibles and those dominant Utd sides. I still don't like the history of how this club got propped up but hard to deny what Pep has done.

The rest of the league will never have the balls to unite against their numerous charges and push for them to be properly punished

Feels close now. It is 50/50 they win it all now.

I think we have maybe 30% chance to beat them, but need the first goal.

You better hope they win the treble, if they dont that will be another 300 million of reinforcements this summer

15 goals this season for alvarez playing second fiddle to haaland. Almost as much as rashford. If only we could find value in the market like that effectively.

We could have? Rangnick pushed to sign him.
The value in the market has been there for us, it's just gross mismanagement of this club that has held us back.

If City win the treble, the GOAT argument ends with Pep. There were times under SAF, I felt that defensive camp and counter managers with shit on stick awful football, under the garb of tactics used to always outwit us in key matches. God I used to hate them and it was a general theme in Europe.

SAF failed, Wenger failed, more recently even Klopp failed and a lot of other attacking managers failed to these 'tactical genius' craps like Mou, Capello, Ancelotti, Rafa, Simeone etc. It is here that Pep lays his GOAT Claim separating himself from his peers. He can absolutely destroy these billion dollar stacked Stoke City imitating campers by playing his beautiful attacking football. Hard to grudge the man.

Watch the CL win last season where an absolute Gobshite Madrid team lucking it out to a CL win and then compare it to the current City team dominantly motoring towards the final. The difference is stark. If he crosses the final hurdle, Pep would certainly be favorite for the GOAT.

Let the rest of the season play out. If they do it (and it's looking likely now), then yes, it will go down as the greatest English team in the Premier league era. 5 of 6 titled with a treble and another domestic treble is going to be hard to argue against. They just completely emasculated the European champions, after destroying Bayern Munich (and doing the same to their closest domestic challenger in the league, as well).

If City win the treble, the GOAT argument ends with Pep. There were times under SAF, I felt that defensive camp and counter managers with shit on stick awful football, under the garb of tactics used to always outwit us in key matches. God I used to hate them and it was a general theme in Europe.

SAF failed, Wenger failed, more recently even Klopp failed and a lot of other attacking managers failed to these 'tactical genius' craps like Mou, Capello, Ancelotti, Rafa, Simeone etc. It is here that Pep lays his GOAT Claim separating himself from his peers. He can absolutely destroy these billion dollar stacked Stoke City imitating campers by playing his beautiful attacking football. Hard to grudge the man.

Watch the CL win last season where an absolute Gobshite Madrid team lucking it out to a CL win and then compare it to the current City team dominantly motoring towards the final. The difference is stark. If he crosses the final hurdle, Pep would certainly be favorite for the GOAT.
What did I even read?

They’re starting to look more formidable than the Barca side that there was no answer to.
The same Barca side who only made their first final after a last minute goal following one of the worst refereeing performances of all time and then got dumped out by Jose's Inter the following season?

United made them look better than they were because of their non existent midfield back in those days. It was a total mismatch, especially once Fletcher got suspended for the second final after making a fantastic goal saving tackle in the semi when he was in the form of his life.

Utd did it in 1977 when they beat the Scousers in the FA cup final to stop them wining the treble. Hope they can do it again to stop these lot!

SAF failed? okay grandpa its time for bed now. Memory loss?

You better hope they win the treble, if they dont that will be another 300 million of reinforcements this summer
City will have reinforcements this summer regardless of winning the treble or not. Bernardo Silva, Gundogan, Laporte and may be even more will leave the club after the season ends so new players will be needed.

Jonathan Liew in The Guardian:

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?