Maguire | he stays!

Against teams who don’t press and only when facing away from goal. So basically not for any top level club.
Im not saying Smalling is better on the ball but Smalling understands his limits and didn’t take unnecessary risks like Maguire.

Varane doesn’t look as assured on the ball as Maguire but he is still a million times better. Maguire is far too over confident with the ball
The truth was in the pudding when Smalling didn't get picked up by anyone after his first good year in Italy. He was too limited for the Prem top teams.

I reckon Maguire hit good form at the right time when there was a lack of strong English CBs. Thats unlikely to be the case now. Levi Colwill is the next overhyped English CB.

To me, Maguire is a midtable talent. He hid his limitations very well but under the United microscope he could only hold out for so long.

If we get anything approaching £70m for the pair I’ll hold my hat up and say we’ve negotiated very well.
Which isn’t something you could say about us selling players (Dan James aside) in the last few years, maybe decade even.
Lukaku deal wasn't bad. And yeah its because we hype up every new arrival and shred to pieces the reputation of every departing player.

Lukaku deal wasn't bad. And yeah its because we hype up every new arrival and shred to pieces the reputation of every departing player.
Ah yeah, can't believe I forgot about Lukaku! We weren't the only club to fall into that trap I guess, but at least we sold well and now the music has stopped and Chelsea are without a chair. Nice!

Southampton value ward prowse at £40 million. a relegated player, yet fans think we should just accept any bid for Scott and Maguire. Starting players in a team who finished 2nd and 3rd in the league. This guys will be actually very good at west ham.
Well said. People are being utterly ridiculous thinking we should sell these guys on the cheap just because we want to get rid of them. These are 2 international players who would improve Westham. Everyone and their nannies are selling players for great values regardless of whether they're surpass to requirement or not but folksk want us to be the ones to needlessly throw players out there on the cheap.

For all the laughter at Maguire, he is still England starting CB and clearly wanted by WestHam who would be silly to not increase their bid by 10 or so million to get him for 40m when any half decent player these days go for at least north of 60+ millions.

Anything less then 75 million pounds for both should be rejected. Maguire can go for 35 millions, but Scott should go nowhere for less than 40 million. I think he's a good player for a mid table team. West Ham splashed money all around, and now they looking to benefit from us.

Maguire already seen out 4 years of his 6 year contract, so he’s technically only worth 1/3 of his transfer price, which is around £25m on the books after amortisation. I would let him go in a heartbeat for £25/£30m. He just needs to be cut from the team at this point. Its time to just reach to those certain conclusions. His playing time on the field is costing the team in a certain perspective. Maguire just need to leave like soon. I hope the club doesn't price him out of a move.

Maguire already seen out 4 years of his 6 year contract, so he’s technically only worth 1/3 of his transfer price, which is around £25m on the books after amortisation. I would let him go in a heartbeat for £25/£30m. He just needs to be cut from the team at this point. Its time to just reach to those certain conclusions. His playing time on the field is costing the team in a certain perspective. Maguire just need to leave like soon. I hope the club doesn't price him out of a move.

We’ll likely be paying him between 5-10m for lost wages, so no, 25 would be a shite deal, hence why 30 has been rejected.
West Ham have the money, and they will rightly pay up for England’s first choice CB who’ll do a good job for Moyes.

With all the agents, intermediaries and 'teams' the players have access to, you wouldn't expect top level clubs to make offers for players without some knowledge of an interest to join.
Do you really believe West Ham are going in Blind with the bids for Maguire and Mctominay with out getting some sort of understanding about players terms and whether they are even interested in moving to West Ham or not . I find that hard to believe .

I have permanent PTSD from De Jong last summer.

I used to blame Ole for hoarding players that he doesn't need and running his favorite 11 to the ground. But I'm starting to think it is the club's management issue. Asking too much for players we don't need, renewing contracts to maintain value. Ended up not being able to afford players that we actually need.

Makes no sense we are keeping a player that we don't need by holding out prices that are unrealistic.

It's happened before Ole with Mourinho and after Ole with Rangnick. the fans were just to oblivion to the obvious.

The West Ham trashing on Reddit is pretty brutal

The underrating of our players is insane, the fact is our former players tend to perform better at their new clubs compare to ex-liverpool players. The likes of Evans, Chicharito, Darmian, Young, Sanchez, Lukaku, Smalling, even Andreas Pereira all have played important role at their new respective clubs, yet these rival fans think our players are championship level or below. laughable.

Reactions: golden_blunder
Scott is good enough for United in certain setups, but not to play every game, and not as first choice in central midfield.

He's been brilliant for Scotland and you can't deny that he is a good, strong midfield player with decent ability and can score goals.

I actually think he'd be really good for West Ham, who on their day can play some really good football.

I actually think he'd be really good for West Ham, who on their day can play some really good football.

I think he'd have a great season at West Ham, and will score plenty of goals for them.
Could be a clever selection for the fantasy teams.. :lol:

We’ll likely be paying him between 5-10m for lost wages, so no, 25 would be a shite deal, hence why 30 has been rejected.
West Ham have the money, and they will rightly pay up for England’s first choice CB who’ll do a good job for Moyes.
What if Westham walkaway and try to sign Amrabat and Todibo for £60m?

Some of the posters here....relax! Its negotiating 101, never accept the 1st bid. I bet if we did accept the 30m bid, you'd be moaning that we never negociate and always sell our players cheap. Can't win with some of you lot!

What if Westham walkaway and try to sign Amrabat and Todibo for £60m?

Yeh sure, Amrabat would love to sign for west ham.
In fact, west ham should walk away, add 40m to the original bid and get Kane. That's how it works doesnt it?

due to his now calamitous reputation, £30m is a good price for Maguire. We all know he's prob worth more and is a better player than most give him credit for, hes got too many mistakes in him, and has picked up this rep of being a bit of jester of the team. So clubs will def not be paying big for him. Id take the 30m & move on. Best for both parties.

I don't mind the haggling over price but they can't be far off what we'd accept we should get it over the line for 65 atleast but anything more and the longer we drag it on it becomes pointless as it gives us less time also to deal with our own targets and they can also increase the price as the window gets shorter,get it done soon as and make bids for Amrabat and a defender etc.

The same poster who cries out loud that we sucks at selling then cries out loud that we rejected the 1st bid…

Some of the posters here....relax! Its negotiating 101, never accept the 1st bid. I bet if we did accept the 30m bid, you'd be moaning that we never negociate and always sell our players cheap. Can't win with some of you lot!

Well actually that's the second bid for Maguire, if reports were correct...
I was perfectly fine with 30m£ myself, honestly a surprise we even have a bidder at that level.

That said, if United needs to subsidize some of his lost wages (or any other financial details and added costs of that sort we are not privy too) I understand why the club insists on getting a little more upfront.

West Ham has other leads and targets in midfield that were priced at 40m£ (Callagher, Ward-Prowse)... So it makes sense to price McT likewise. But they also clearly were reluctant to match those.
Maguire I don't think they really have a lot of competing options with that profile.

It's not that West Ham can't pay, in absolute terms, those sort of fees. Moreso that they still need to sign a couple of players more after that (at least a striker) and they're all gonna be in a 20-40m range I suppose. Even with 140m£ in sales in the bank, I'm skeptical they'll go well over 35m except for maybe one recruit.

Last edited:
Yeh sure, Amrabat would love to sign for west ham.
In fact, west ham should walk away, add 40m to the original bid and get Kane. That's how it works doesnt it?
Are you suggesting Amrabat is too good for Westham :lol: and what does Kane has to do with anything? I am just asking why West Ham are not trying to sign other players like Zubimendi, Conor Gallaher, etc

If we sell him for £30m that’s the best bit of business we’ve done in a very long time!

Are you suggesting Amrabat is too good for Westham :lol: and what does Kane has to do with anything? I am just asking why West Ham are not trying to sign other players like Zubimendi, Conor Gallaher, etc
They did try to sign Gallagher - they had a bid rejected weeks ago.

They did try to sign Gallagher - they had a bid rejected weeks ago.
Not sure what they want, sounds like they’re scared of spending that money they got from the Rice sale. Without spending on new players to strengthen the team, will ensure again relegation struggle.

Southampton value ward prowse at £40 million. a relegated player, yet fans think we should just accept any bid for Scott and Maguire. Starting players in a team who finished 2nd and 3rd in the league. This guys will be actually very good at west ham.

With Europa :( experience and some champions league experience. Where they were starters in some big wins. I can understand Maguire being cheaper because of salary but it would be stupid to get anything lower than 35m for mctominay who is on a midtable level salary.

70m is a good deal for us. I believe we should not act greedy and let these two go for that price, specially as we need to balance the book ourselves and sell to buy new players.

We would be lucky to have somebody pay 15m for Maguire next season with one year left on his deal. I understand we are trying to haggle and get ourselves a best deal, but we also need to realize that this money will be reinvested in Amrabat and Cb. Which are coming from a new league and would need time to adjust.

I hope we know what they're doing as I would already have been driving Harold to London after receiving that £30m offer.

I would be perfectly happy with 30m!
Let´s agree to disagree on this

30m is very fair.

He's coming with baggage as he's been heavily vilified and error prone for a long while now. He's also 30, so at best, West Ham get 3 good seasons out of him. I feel we may hold out for around 35m, though.

Is the source reliable/credible?

Not sure but I think The Athletic reported something similar yesterday - that Maguire is "tempted" by West Ham.

I reckon both players would join West Ham if a deal is agreed, not much sense in bidding for them otherwise.

Sounds like exact opposite of our buy high, sell for peanuts strategy so not sure how the funk you’ve come up with that.

35m for England’s starting CB is a very fair price that West Ham will pay.

He's also 30, in bad form, and on high wages. Also there's no bidding war here, if West Ham walk away, we are most probably stuck with him, while his value plummets further. We did the same BS with Dean Henderson, when we could have sold him for a high amount, but got greedy, and new we are struggling to sell him for almost half that.

75/80M for both Maguire and McTominay, although I want the latter to stay, would be good business for both parties involved, in my opinion.

35M for Maguire
40-45M for McTominay